Need a Summer/Lightweight hat!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Need a Summer/Lightweight hat!

Post by Feraud »

Hello all,
I received my Federation Deluxe last winter and have been enjoying it nearly every day since then. It is a stiff hat out of the box but is becoming more comfortable with use.
As the weather is starting to get warmer I notice my hat is keeping me a bit too warm for my tastes.

I have a two part question:
pt. 1 - What is the Fed. Deluxe made of?
pt. 2 - Is rabbit a good alternative for the coming Spring/Summer months?

Thanks.
Feraud
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Need a Summer/Lightweight hat!

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Feraud wrote: I have a two part question:

Thanks.
Feraud
I am sure that others who know more will go into much more detail, but that Fed Deluxe hat of yours is rabbit. Is it good for Spring and Summer? Indy wore his and generations of men wore theirs. I wore my Adventurebilt Hat (100% pure Beaver) in Puerto Rico in the rain forest and I was fine. -Though at one point, I did dunk my head into the La Mina River!

However, personally I wear a hat like this in the summer:
This hat came from El Galpon in Old San Juan.

I'm thinking of looking for a hat like Belloq's for this summer.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I figured it might be rabbit. Now I need to come up with another excuse for the wife to get a new hat! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the reply. I have endured the Summer heat with a hat on my head for years so this will be nothing new. As we have had some nice days recently, I have thought about a ligher weight fedora.

I also have a straw but the brim feels too narrow for me. Maybe I should invest in a quality straw.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Did you see the Indy style Montecristi here:
viewtopic.php?t=6223&highlight=ecuadorristis viewtopic.php?t=11918
viewtopic.php?t=8163&highlight=ecuador
Pyro has an awesome hat. :wink: :D
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Thanks for the links. Now that is something I am going to consider for this summer. I have had a couple of low quality straws. They were decent enough hats but fell apart way too fast! I think it is time to invest in a quality straw.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Feraud wrote:Hello all,
I received my Federation Deluxe last winter and have been enjoying it nearly every day since then. It is a stiff hat out of the box but is becoming more comfortable with use.
As the weather is starting to get warmer I notice my hat is keeping me a bit too warm for my tastes.

I have a two part question:

Thanks.
Feraud
As soon as the weather turns warm, off comes the Indy fedora and on comes the Panama. Although Panama hats can be very expensive, you can get some good deals from Panama Bob over at the Fedora Lounge. A good Montecristi Panama is a work of art and something that will last you a lifetime. Here's a picture of the one I bought from Panama Bob and had blocked by Art Fawcett:

http://public.fotki.com/craigthompson/h ... n5467.html
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I actually found that I was cooler with the fedora on in the summer months. The bright sun does wonders to help fade the felt body.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I wear my felt hats year round. :shock: Heck, if it worked for the cowpokes, it will work for me too. :lol: Now, my summer felt hats have the liner removed. Or, you could do like the Germans did on their hot weather hats/caps when fighting in the deserts. Install crimson liners. Supposedly, these helped remove the heat, and worked better than having no liner. Just found that out last week!! Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So, when are you going to offer them, Fedora? (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

..a crimson liner. Now that sounds interesting. :)
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Here's my Belloq style Montecristi, it's a wonderful summer hat...

fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I just bought a vintage Dobbs felt fedora off ebay, it has "Dobbs 2 Ouncer" on the sweatband. It is the lightest weight felt hat I have. It is indeed about 2 ounces in weight and I will be wearing it alot this summer. It is new old stock, not a sign that is was ever worn, it looks like it just came out of a store. It is probably 50 to 60 years old. Keep your eyes open on ebay and every now and then a jewel pops up.

fedoralover
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

So minnesota, you're telling me that you are evil when it is hot out?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Feraud, if you're not already on The Fedora Lounge, this sounds like an excellent question to post over there as well - you might get some different responses...

J
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

MJ,
That is a great hat. I'd like to see it on. Does the brim sweep down and around as Belloq's did?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

I love my Monte. I wore it to work today. I don't have a lot of great pictures of it online yet. But wore it down to DisneyWorld on our trip, and out east to DC Last summer. I'll try to get more picture of it online. But here are a couple more from when I got it.

And to answer Matt, I'm not evil, just misunderstood.... ha! But I do want a Belloq style suit to go with it thou....
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Minnesota Jones wrote:I love my Monte. I wore it to work today. I don't have a lot of great pictures of it online yet. But wore it down to DisneyWorld on our trip, and out east to DC Last summer. I'll try to get more picture of it online. But here are a couple more from when I got it.
MJ that looks great. I have to get one of those. I like your office to. What is the story on that T-Rex jaw fragment?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Only MJ would use a dinasaur jawbone for a paperweight! :roll: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Not to get too far off topic, the jawbone is the Right Side Dentary of the T. rex called Stan, on display at the Black Hills Institute. They also found Sue the T. rex which is now at the Field Museum in Chicago.

Here I am with the "real" Stan...

and Stan's "real" skull... too fragile for the full skeleton display

I now return you to your regular scheduled programming.... :wink:

(I'll talk dinosaurs anytime with people, as you can tell!)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Minnesota Jones wrote:
I now return you to your regular scheduled programming.... :wink:

(I'll talk dinosaurs anytime with people, as you can tell!)
Not so fast, MJ. :wink: So, it's a cast, I assume? And how did you acquire such an item?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Here you go!

http://www.bhigr.com/

That's their website. I ordered both the Dentary and a Single Tooth (with root) from Stan about 3 1/2 years ago from them. Also got to visit their Museum in progress in Hill City SD on our roadtrip to the QM two years ago. If you have $100,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you can get a full size replica of Stan of your very own sent to you if you want - not counting packing, shipping, and assembly. :lol: The T. rex at the Smithsonian in DC is a replica/copy of Stan. Now if I can only win the lottery.... :wink:
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Minnesota Jones wrote:(I'll talk dinosaurs anytime with people, as you can tell!)
I was about to say, let's not bring poor old Jess back into the discussion. :roll: :wink: Never mind. :lol: Regards. Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Minnesota Jones wrote:Here you go!

http://www.bhigr.com/

That's their website. I ordered both the Dentary and a Single Tooth (with root) from Stan about 3 1/2 years ago from them. Also got to visit their Museum in progress in Hill City SD on our roadtrip to the QM two years ago. If you have $100,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you can get a full size replica of Stan of your very own sent to you if you want - not counting packing, shipping, and assembly. :lol: The T. rex at the Smithsonain in DC is a replica/copy of Stan. Now if I can only win the lottery.... :wink:
I'm still looking for my "intercostal clavicle!" "Now, George, think real hard, where did you bury it?"
Anyway, thanks MJ, that is some great stuff. I am a dinosaur afficionado myself, though not at your level!
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

I've loved dinos since 1st grade. That's one thing I love 'bout Indygear, it's not just for Archaeology, but fits quite nicely with Paleontology. And wasn't one of Max McCoy's Indy Novels "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Egg?" :)

As for poor Jess.... I'll just leave it at that. Ha!
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

For you felt lovers

Post by SHARPETOYS »

My hat from Steve aka Fedora was pounced real thin for me. It only comes in on postal scales at 2.1 oz. with all the trimmings.

My Montecristi fino fino came in just over a ounce.

Nice job Fedora. :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Okay. You had to bring up the dinosaur thing. When MJ came down to DC last summer, we went to the Smithsonian. MJ went in full Indy gear. MJ came up to me and started telling me all about a dinosaur that I was looking at. He really is the best dino expert that I have ever talked to.

Pretty soon, a small group had gathered around us. As MJ walked and continued the conversation, the group followed us. The group kept getting larger and larger. It was funny, because of the way MJ was dressed and with his wealth of knowledge on the subject, people thought they were on some kind of guided tour. I heard one kid ask his father something, and he told him to go ask the tour guide.

Ummm...Indiana Jones and the Guided Tour of the Smithsonian...Hey MJ, you know, we could have probably made a few extra bucks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You mean he didn't pass his hat when he got done? He tried that at the Jack Daniels Distillery tour when he passed through here on the same trip. :-k :lol: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

red lined hats

Post by Mojave Jack »

Or, you could do like the Germans did on their hot weather hats/caps when fighting in the deserts. Install crimson liners. Supposedly, these helped remove the heat, and worked better than having no liner
The red liner in hats goes even farther back than that, Fedora. There was an odd Victorian belief that you had to insulate your body from the sun, or it could cause all kinds of weird ailments. Addtionally, the color red was thought to negate the sun's harmful effects, hence red wool union suits and hat and pith helmet liners. Since the spine in particular was thought to be especially vulnerable, it was especially important to insulate that part of your back. It was a common practice in warmer climes for British officers to put "spine pads" on their uniforms, which consisted of a T-shaped quilted wool pad--lined with red wool, of course--that buttoned onto the back of the uniform shirt. There's a great example of the spine pad in Khaki Drill and Jungle Green: British Tropical Uniforms 1939-1945.
Fedora jr.
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fedora jr. »

Well, getting back on topic :wink: I wear my felt Indy hat all year long. Heck, if Indy wore his all year 'round, why can't I?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Sometimes the weather gets pretty hot here in San Diego. I've had to start taking a hanky around with me to wipe my brow with when wearing my Adventurebilt around during the daytime. I would guess that a straw hat, or a montecristi would be less hectic on the old sweatband during the summer months.

Regards,
Vince_K
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Vince_K »

I will be purchasing a panama from panamabob this weeknd. I'm going to go with a 500weave count c-crown. I've been looking for a panama for some time now, but the price has always been a restricting factor. I didnt want the hard as plastic alternatives. After finding Bob, I jumped at the chance!!! The last bit of that tax return will manifest itself as a nice montecristi from panamabob. I'm excited to say the least. :D
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

lightweight hat

Post by Mojave Jack »

Hemingway Indiana wrote:
However, personally I wear a hat like this in the summer:

This hat came from El Galpon in Old San Juan.
That is a really sharp hat, Hemingway. I can't tell from the pic, tho, if it is felt or straw.

I should've been hat shopping in San Juan?! @#$%! I spent most of my time drinking mojitos!
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

I have a Standard Fed IV which I wear all year round. In the summer my forehead gets sweaty but it's called a sweatband for a reason. I can live with that as it insulates me from the sun nicely. Yes it's warm but it's warmer in direct sunlight. Given a choice between remembering to flip my sweatband out to dry when I get home, or potentially fatal sunstroke...
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Though it is a nice read and everything I must say you are becomming a bit of an archaeologist Enigmata :lol: I doubt the original poster is still looking for a summer hat though, but maybe we can use it to help others who are by keeping this one active for the season ;)

Regards, Geert