problems with a steve order?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

olflea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

problems with a steve order?

Post by olflea »

Hello guys!

Sorry for posting yet another post with a few questions and such.

I ordered a fedora from Steve in the end of 07, he charged me for the hat and everything, so my order must have come trough. But yet I have not seen any hat, and neither will Steve answer any of my mails, even if I tag them with "important" or anything like that.

I just really want to know if I ever will see my hat, and if Steve has had some problems I'm more than open for conversation about a new order (without charge) or something like that, because of my work and the time-zone differences I am never able to call him, and anyways it would be super expensive to call from the other side of the planet.

Hope to get some info from you lads on what I can do, and maybe even Steve reads this tread and contacts me.

Thanks everyone

Olflea
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: problems with a steve order?

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Olflea, I would try e-mailing him with a subject line like "Olflea Waiting for hat ordered in 2007." Something a bit more specific than just "important." I think a lot of folks use that just to try to contact Steve, whether it's really important or not. Give that a shot. Though it's difficult being patient, you will see your hat.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

I agree with Bink, Steve, as you can imagaine is a one man band so he is making hats, receiving orders and responding to emails. Whenever I have emailed Steve he has always got back to me albeit after a good few days and in some cases weeks! I am sure that he wil reply to your message and honour your order in good time.

Good luck and i hope you get your hat real soon.

MK
Jonny Whip Crack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonny Whip Crack »

Hang in there. As said, you will see your hat. I ordered 2 at the end of '07, and still nothing, but it's my understanding that he is somewhere between Sept and Dec when many orders to be made my a one man operation, so I've learned to be patient and keep an eye on any word on what month he's currently on. On the bright side, it will be that more exciting to see that box show up at your doorstep. Also, everytime there is a new post regarding details or style changes (ie Turn, no turn, old liner, new liner, old block, new block), Steve has said to use "important" in the heading, and by now I'm sure he's had everyone and their dog put "important" at the beginning of every e-mail sent to him. (I'll admit, I've done it).
Hope this helps a bit... he hasn't forgotten about you.
Cheers
Jonny
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

From what I understand, he had over 500 hat orders hit him between September 07 and January 08 when news leaked out he was the maker of the CS hat. He is a one man show, and even when he had an apprentice helping, they were pushing out 3 hats a day. He's now around 2 hats a day on average, working 16 hour days.....so do the math. Every bit of a hat is hand done, so it's not a rubber stamp product.

Last time I heard from him, he's actually making head way against this tidal wave of orders he received, and once over that hump, orders dropped WAY off, so he'll be able to shorten the wait time tremendously.

What I've found so amazing is while he's waiting for hats to dry on the block or other production items to set, he still works on new block ideas and the like. If it were me, I'd run out of the shop screaming to do something else, and once depressurized, only THEN would I go back in to continue work. He just sits there and plugs away at another hat idea. Unreal. :-k

That said, if you're not happy with the wait and want to cancel your order, just write 'cancel order' in your header, and he'll be MORE than happy to refund your monies. That would be one less order of the 500 he's been fighting alone, and put everyone up one order to getting theirs sooner.

I hope this isn't being read as being a bit hard edged, and not really meant to be... but this has been discussed a lot, in detail, and can be read in the vendor section as well.

Regards! Michaelson
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Michaelson wrote:From what I understand, he had over 500 hat orders hit him between September 07 and January 08 when news leaked out he was the maker of the CS hat. He is a one man show, and even when he had an apprentice helping, they were pushing out 3 hats a day. He's now around 2 hats a day on average, working 16 hour days.....so do the math. Every bit of a hat is hand done, so it's not a rubber stamp product.

Last time I heard from him, he's actually making head way against this tidal wave of orders he received, and once over that hump, orders dropped WAY off, so he'll be able to shorten the wait time tremendously.

What I've found so amazing is while he's waiting for hats to dry on the block or other production items to set, he still works on new block ideas and the like. If it were me, I'd run out of the shop screaming to do something else, and once depressurized, only THEN would I go back in to continue work. He just sits there and plugs away at another hat idea. Unreal. :-k

That said, if you're not happy with the wait and want to cancel your order, just write 'cancel order' in your header, and he'll be MORE than happy to refund your monies. That would be one less order of the 500 he's been fighting alone, and put everyone up one order to getting theirs sooner.

I hope this isn't being read as being a bit hard edged, and not really meant to be... but this has been discussed a lot, in detail, and can be read in the vendor section as well.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson,
If Steve had a medical problem...and can't be able to continue his work during 6 months for instance...
500 hats...no beginners with him...and always in the same time looking for new blocks, new felt (for me the most important !) Ow!
He takes risks !
Regards :[
Anjali
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey guys. I am so well aware of the backlog, but all of these orders will be completed and each each will get their hats. And I know the long wait is very frustrating. It is to me as well, having to have so many hurry up and wait.

I am still on late 07 orders!! As Michaelson said, I sold way too many hats once the word got out and many took advantage of my old price. Once I get through these the lead times will drop expoentially, due to not many being sold after I went up in price to 350.00, and then to the final price of 400.

But rest assured, I ain't going anywhere until all orders are completed and you guys have your Indy 4 hat in hand. Most orders were for this new film hat.

Due to the number of orders that I had taken in late 07, I hired an apprentice, to help out and if I had been able to keep him, I would be on Spring of 08 orders today. But many know of what happened to that apprentice, so I have been a one man operation, and that includes the other stuff that goes with running a business. There is much more to this than just making hats....

A few weeks ago, I was gonna stop coming here, as it takes time, but once I heard about JPD, and those problems, I knew right away, I COULD NOT do that!! I have to remain visible, just to keep folks from thinking I had went to Mexico with their money!!!

My only problem is the number of orders I still have before me, but that isn't a problem to me personally. Only to those who have waited patiently. And, to those people, you guys are stellar folks, and I hold each of you in high regards.

So, don't ever get nervous about me fulfilling my responsiblility to you, but it is quite ok to be frustrated. I would be as well, if I were in your shoes.

I see my business right now as that of a custom knife maker, who has even longer lead times than me. I am on a 5 year list to get one particular knife, and I paid up front when I ordered. But, no one will ever have to wait that long.

Once I get this huge bulk of orders done, I will be back to normal lead times on handmade hats. So, please hang in there. I think the long wait is worth owning a hat that was made by the guy(s) that made the last fedora Indy was to sport in a film.

I have indeed had some health problems starting a few months ago, but that is under control, but even with the tests that I had to have done, I only missed 4 days of hatmaking.

Also, starting week after next, I will again have the phone line to my hat shop back in service, so I will take calls from you guys if you need to talk to me. I will have to limit them to the morning though as I can easily spend hours talking to just one customer. :lol: Anyone who has talked to me knows that I don't know when to shut up, not only here, but in phone conversations also.

I answer emails each day, but the number of emails that I get makes it very difficult to answer in a timely manner. I try to grab what looks to me very important, like address changes, size changes, and those who ordered in late 07. When I clicked on Outlook this morning, I have 400 plus new ones, and a weekly average is around 2000 emails. Now, many are enquiries on existing orders, and some are folks asking to buy hats. The enqiuries concerning buying a hat, seldom get answered, as the guys here who want to buy a hat know how to do it. Just go to my site and order. And these folks also know my lead times are pretty bad. I am just too busy in most cases to take orders from people who just find me on the web.(and many want non Indy hats, that I have no time for) This is NOT how I want to do business, but I find myself in this position today, and will have to suffer this until I eventually get back on top of this. Indy 4 was a blessing, but also a curse. I also know that one day things will be back to normal for me, and boy do I look forward to that day!!

I want to thank again my very patient customers, but I do believe the wait time will be worth it in the end, if you are an Indy fan like myself. For me, I would have waited almost forever to get a real Swales Raiders custom fedora. He was smart enough not to ever offer that hat though. :lol: I now know why.

I wanted to offer the Indy 4 fedora back in late 07 at the great price so even those who would not pay, or could not pay the big bucks beaver hats generally cost could own one. I just never knew I would sell so many. Over 500 in 3 months. Plus, I already had gotten behind with existing orders when I had to shut down my regular production, to do the Indy 4 gig. But, I am working hard to get caught up just as soon as humanly possible. Even when I sleep, I dream of hats!!!! :lol: Fedora
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Steve, I only have two words:

Thank You.

That's for everything you've done, doing, and will be doing. You truly are a grand contribution to this group.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I ordered my hat in early September of 2007 and received it on Monday. Did it take a while to receive? Yeah. Was it worth the wait? HECK YEAH! So, you WILL receive your hat and it will be a sweet, sweet victory. Patience, my friend. This is a handmade hat to your specifications. This is your hat, there are many like it but this one is yours. For now, set it and forget it. When you see that white box on your doorstep it's gonna feel like Christmas!

Regards, Dr. J
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I ordered in mid October 07 and know that it will probably still be another month at least, but I'm fine with that. I did a small run of books at the RPF and was amazed by how stressful it is dealing with only 10 people that paid up front when lead times stretch out, I can't even imagine the pressure on Steve. In addition to all the emails, phone calls, and actual hat making he does, I'd bet money he also has to put up with people filing Paypal claims against him when they get really impatient pretty frequently. For those reasons, Steve has my respect and I'll wait as long as it takes him to get to my hat.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Mine was one of the rabbits that got stopped because of the CS run (fantastic reason BTW). I got my hat in about 13 months if I remember correctly. I think it rocks.

Put your order in, check in after about a year to see if it slipped through the cracks.
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

FloatinJoe wrote:Steve, I only have two words:

Thank You.

That's for everything you've done, doing, and will be doing. You truly are a grand contribution to this group.
I second that.
Steve does a magnificent job, and his products are worth waiting for.
As for me, I ordered a hat in October 2007, and I just don't care about the wait-time anymore. I know that I'm going to jump up and down when the box arrives at my doorstep, but whether that is tommorrow or in two years (which it is not), I couldn't care less.
Hang in there Steve, you're doing a great job! :H: :clap:

regards,
Lukas
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Patience is a virtue that we are learning in spades. What amazes me is the way Steve can remain on such an even keel. Speaking for myself, I am an extremely patient guy, but I would have a psychotic breakdown if I had so many hats to make. That man is a saint... :notworthy:
olflea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by olflea »

thanks for all the answers! It helps a lot!

I have now send an email to steve typing something about size change and so on, because this is of most importance to me.

Thanks for replying and giving tips!
as you might understand i cant wait to get the hat! just hope its a size 59 not 58!

best regards!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

olflea wrote:thanks for all the answers! It helps a lot!

I have now send an email to steve typing something about size change and so on, because this is of most importance to me.

Thanks for replying and giving tips!
as you might understand i cant wait to get the hat! just hope its a size 59 not 58!

best regards!

Give him head measurements not hat sizes. He makes his hats all by hand and they are custom fitted.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Does this go for hats order from magnoli?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Yes it does as Magnoli's site states:
After placing your order, please e-mail us your head measurement. This is more accurate than requesting your hat size, which can vary from hatter to hatter.
Regards, Geert
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Hey Steve, I don't mind waiting as the end result is more than worth it! What is the number of the hat shop? I did change some things in my order and wanted to make sure you received them. Emails don't really work well and I think talking to you would be perfect. Only for a few minutes though! Don't want to slow down production...lol
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Fedora wrote:
... I COULD NOT do that!! I have to remain visible, just to keep folks from thinking I had went to Mexico with their money!!!

Fedora
That's actually a VERY GOOD IDEA! \:D/ ... In that way you could be my neigbhor and teach me the art of hat making =P~
[-o< Hahaha.
Greetings from Mexico my friend! Btw, im curious... how many orders from Mexico do you have? :-k

High Regards,
-Alfonso :TOH: