Flapping in the Wind--pocket flaps

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Flapping in the Wind--pocket flaps

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Raider S wrote:To my eyes, the Todd's and G&B look different from one another. They look closest to the second Raider's example and the Nowak closest to the first Raider's example.

On my flaps, made months apart, I didn't give any instructions, photos, or even photos of the first jacket to model the second after. I just expected to get whatever it was I would get. I my case I happen to have four nearly identical flaps on two jackets.
I think Raider'S points are good ones - we're trying to compare apples and oranges with oranges and apples. You'd need to tease out the (at least 2) different raider pocket styles and compare to them. EG the first 2 distinct styles in Mac's list. Personally I far prefer the first style and I think the Nowak nails it like no other, so I'm very happy.

Re the exaggerated TN thing. What I was trying to show is that extra scalloped look, the tinyest camera angle can make it look "worse" than it really is. A key point here is that we take most pics of pockets either level to or BELOW the pocket as we lay them on a desk or whatever, and do so with a wide-ish lens. HOWEVER, most of the shots of pockets (if not all) in the move are taken with a long lens, from ABOVE the pockets. MASSIVE difference to how we perceive the scalloping.
Zendragon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zendragon »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:
Raider S wrote:To my eyes, the Todd's and G&B look different from one another. They look closest to the second Raider's example and the Nowak closest to the first Raider's example.

On my flaps, made months apart, I didn't give any instructions, photos, or even photos of the first jacket to model the second after. I just expected to get whatever it was I would get. I my case I happen to have four nearly identical flaps on two jackets.
I think Raider'S points are good ones - we're trying to compare apples and oranges with oranges and apples. You'd need to tease out the (at least 2) different raider pocket styles and compare to them. EG the first 2 distinct styles in Mac's list. Personally I far prefer the first style and I think the Nowak nails it like no other, so I'm very happy.

Re the exaggerated TN thing. What I was trying to show is that extra scalloped look, the tinyest camera angle can make it look "worse" than it really is. A key point here is that we take most pics of pockets either level to or BELOW the pocket as we lay them on a desk or whatever, and do so with a wide-ish lens. HOWEVER, most of the shots of pockets (if not all) in the move are taken with a long lens, from ABOVE the pockets. MASSIVE difference to how we perceive the scalloping.
Well in the end, as long as they look good to the wearer, who the heck cares what anyone else things lol.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Zen, I actually think this sort of thing is relatively empirical as long as we can take into account the possibility of illusion. For the record, which do you think are closest? What do yours look like? The bigger the group we can check out, the more it will indicate brand accuracy, especially with Wested.

BTW, I'd perhaps rule out the truck interior shot from above as it could well be the bullet wound jacket and the pocket looks VERY different from the others.
Illusion yes. It has been stated that the US Wings flaps have no scallop at all. In the photo above it appears they do not, however the US wings jackets I have have scalloped pockets. I've seen photos of other US Wings Indy jackets posted here that show scalloped pockets as well.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

The G+B flap shape is very similar to the flap shape on this older Cooper A2

http://flyboyplus.com/leather_jackets/c ... 4_l_01.jpg

edit to add

G+B Indy jacket pocket flap is also similar to G+B A2 pocket flap

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll30 ... f/GBA2.jpg
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

RCSignals wrote:It has been stated that the US Wings flaps have no scallop at all. In the photo above it appears they do not, however the US wings jackets I have have scalloped pockets. I've seen photos of other US Wings Indy jackets posted here that show scalloped pockets as well.
Without doubt some US Wings jackets have scalloped pockets, others, like the one I included in the comparison and those below, have no (or virtually no) scallop. Thus the disclaimer!

I included the non-scalloped Wings flap because I see many more of them and felt, rightly or wrongly, that it was more representative of what one could expect and that it was not an outlier.

The jackets featured on their website seem to have little to no scallop:
http://www.uswings.com/aviatn.asp

Maybe a poll is in order. ;)

Please post your Wings and we’ll add it to the mix (possibly a side-by-side Wings scalloped and non-scalloped) and I hope Crismans will post his newer Todd’s flaps as well.

Click thumbnails to enlarge:

- Mac
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Raven Bar jacket for reference.

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:Raven Bar jacket for reference.

not a great reference for definitive pocket flap shape is it. You can tell the flap is curled and distorted, particularly at the middle.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Here is a USWings on that auction site that shows scalloped flaps

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote: not a great reference for definitive pocket flap shape is it. You can tell the flap is curled and distorted, particularly at the middle.
Feel free to show alternate angles from that sequence.
Zendragon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zendragon »

well we can certainly argue that it is in fact just optical illusion, but it may not be. We really don't know and at this point are going off of pics, which we all agree could be optical illusion.

This isn't one of those things that anyone can say one way or the other without a doubt. We need the Mythbusters to figure this out all scientific like.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

RCSignals wrote:Here is a USWings on that auction site that shows scalloped flaps

That looks like a Wings jacket that has had a fan use the old water stretch treatement to make it look scalloped. I did it with a Wested.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:
RCSignals wrote: not a great reference for definitive pocket flap shape is it. You can tell the flap is curled and distorted, particularly at the middle.
Feel free to show alternate angles from that sequence.
of the same curled and distorted pocket flap
:lol:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

CM wrote:
RCSignals wrote:Here is a USWings on that auction site that shows scalloped flaps

That looks like a Wings jacket that has had a fan use the old water stretch treatement to make it look scalloped. I did it with a Wested.
If the seller is to be believed it hasn't been worn.

The flaps look the same as on mine, and they haven't been 'stretched' at the point to make a scallop.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

RCSignals wrote:
CM wrote:

The flaps look the same as on mine, and they haven't been 'stretched' at the point to make a scallop.
I guess I'm wrong then.
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

RCSignals wrote:
CM wrote:

Wings should do them all like that. It looks very close to this one:

Click to enlarge.

- Mac
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Mac wrote: Wings should do them all like that. It looks very close to this one:

- Mac
Yes they are nicely done. Even a little wider than the pocket.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Late, but as promised, here's a pic of my new Todd's custom flap:

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

crismans wrote:Late, but as promised, here's a pic of my new Todd's custom flap:

Very nice, looks more like it combines the best of Wested (when the flaps are right) and the G&B format. I do think I'm a bit of a sucker for the flaps TN uses.