TN goat vs cow

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

TN goat vs cow

Post by indiana745 »

Can anyone comment on the durability of the Nowak goat vs cow? I am thinking about going for the goat once the funds are available, but I have seen some great pics of the cow and heard reports that it seems very durable. I'm looking for my end all be all Indy jacket and had always planned on a goat... is this the best/toughest option?
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: TN goat vs cow

Post by Han Jones »

I guess it would depend on what style you want. Both are very durable.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Goat is recognised as being the toughest leather around after horse. It is also (usually) lighter and softer than other leathers and it's waterproof. How long any jacket is going to last for, however, can only be guessed at. The proof only comes through time. TN's stuff is good. I'd imagine you'd get a mimimum of 20 years hard wear out of both. It all depends on what you do with them...
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

I have all the TN leather samples and i own the 747 and it is tough as nails! i would say the second strongest of them all.. goat being first 8)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

indiana745 I think your question is really: which is more durable, goat or cowhide? From there you have to consider which hide you like the appearance of best for the jacket. TN developed both of these specifically for the Raider jacket. There was an 'appearance' he wanted to maintain for the leather of this jacket.
He will have other leathers for other jackets.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I agree with the statement that goat is regarded tougher than cow, but appart from the waterproof quality of the goat I don't think you'd see so much difference in durability between the two with "normal" wear. So I suggest you'd look at pictures, maybe ask samples, and decide what looks best to you. Since you do already have a craving for goat, try and focus on whether you find Nowak's goat to be more appealing in looks than the cow and go from there.

Regards, Geert
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

If you plan to walk through brush, scrape up against branches and trees, etc. I think goat might prove most snag and tear resistant. For normal wear either will last a long time but anything can happen no matter what it's made of. If I could have just one it would be a goat jacket.