Coyle's Downtowner Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Does anyone have any information on this hat? I was just looking at Todd's website and noticed he's offering it instead of the HJ now.

Thanks,
Scott
indyjonesstudent1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Coyle's Downtowner Fedora

Post by indyjonesstudent1 »

coyle still has the hjs. this is just another one of those oieces of gear with his name on it. he always said on his logo, lucky and durable. really its ur lucky if its durable. :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The picture on his site isn't showing up. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like. Todd has some great gear at great prices so I'm sure this will look good, if nothing else.

Dave
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah...I was on his site earlier today looking for a idol bank to fix up. There were no knives, no idol bank, no boots, and this new hat :-k I'm with you Dave I like some of his stuff and I hope some of this stuff is not discontinued!

Travis
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

OK...my bad. :oops: Just got back from his site and now he has multiple pages of Indy gear. Its not all on one page like it used to be. :oops: Just hit "next page" and you can view all the items. :oops:

Travis :oops:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Seems like Todd may be doing some updates to his site. Not all the products are listed and some of the links are not currently working.

Maybe he's in process of updating the site with new gear offerings??? [-o<

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Just so everyone knows...pics are now up:

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/HJ%20 ... towner.htm

Enjoy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Not a bad looking hat for the money. Does anyone know anything more about the hat? Any info.?
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

ok, after weeks of hesitating, I JUST went to the site to buy the pocket knife, and now I can't find it on the site! #-o

That's a great hat for the price, tho! :tup:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Gater wrote:ok, after weeks of hesitating, I JUST went to the site to buy the pocket knife, and now I can't find it on the site! #-o

Hollowpond wrote:OK...my bad. :oops: Just got back from his site and now he has multiple pages of Indy gear. Its not all on one page like it used to be. :oops: Just hit "next page" and you can view all the items. :oops:

Travis :oops:
:tup:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

From that angle it looks quite nice, but I would really like to see a good front shot of this hat.
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

Gater wrote:ok, after weeks of hesitating, I JUST went to the site to buy the pocket knife, and now I can't find it on the site! #-o

When you go to the main site, go to the bottom of the items that are pictured. There is a next page button. Keep doing the same. The knife is still there for sale.

Hope this helps. :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

From what I can see, the hat looks like it has soft, floppt felt, which is good. The bow work is nice and the ribbon is good too. Don't know how great the felt will be for $100, though. More shots from different angles will really show off the block shape. It looks nice. I'd like to see more.

Dave
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

Is it possible this is the same as the HJ's previously carried by Todd's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the christies adventurer and the current HJ poet the same hat, sold at quite a price discrepancy? So I can imagine it being possible Mr.Coyle was able to strike a deal with the actual manufacturer of the christies/HJ to offer essentially the same hat at a lower price. Kind of silly to speculate on this kind of thing but when I saw the hat thats what popped in my head.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It is my understanding, from the lady that works at Todd's that they get the felt from China. Steve has spoken about this in other threads, that possibly at some point in the future, hatters might start using felt from China. I don't mention this to detract from anyone's desire to purchase one, not to in any way, as I may purchase one, but just to shed some light on speculation.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

ooohhhhhhhhh! D'OH! ](*,)
thanks guys! It took a few pages but I got there!

resume talk of cool new well-priced hat
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Thanks for noticing the new hat. I've been working on it for a LONG time. The factory is in China, and they make some nice stuff. They have been great to work with in getting all of the details I wanted.

The hat is all mine from the ground up. It is not a Herbert Johnson clone. My intent with this hat is to give those who want an affordable hat something that looks like a real Raiders hat right out of the box. The brims come pre-shaped in the Raiders style, and the crowns are shaped here before they go out. The hats are cowboy-hat stiff so that they don't loose their shape. A lot of customers complained that the HJs were too soft and got deformed too easily. No worries here. These hats will not go out of shape.

I refrain from putting the standard "mug shots" on the web, since I think they are boring. Besides, these hats are not for those who want to pull out their rulers and measure all the angles. (not that the angles are not good ones - they are.)

People who will like this hat:
1. Those to whom $100 is a lot of money
2. Those who have never bought a hat that cost more than $29.95
3. Those would never dream of shaping their own hat
4. Those who are reluctant to order from a foreign country (returns/exchanges and all that)
5. Those who want a Raiders hat that looks tons better than the DP Indiana Jones hats.

I hope this explaination will answer most of the questions you have.

For my upscale hat, keep an eye out for the "Coyle's Uptowner".
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm waiting for the 'Coyle's 'from the wrong side of the tracks' fedora' myself. :-k ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes - PLEASE don't wear the Downtowner uptown. They'll toss you out on your ear. "Get out of here with that thing! Can you believe the nerve of this guy? Who does he think he is, coming up here with THAT?!!!" Save yourself the embarassment. Stay downtown with it.
Last edited by Puppetboy on Wed May 27, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Deleted by Ranger36
Last edited by Ranger36 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm holding out for the sidewinder! ;)....with a rattlesnake hide 'ribbon'.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat May 30, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Michaelson wrote:I'm waiting for the 'Coyle's 'from the wrong side of the tracks' fedora' myself. :-k ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson
to be followed by the 'Eastender' maybe :tup:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Like a lot of the folks here, I'm pretty dang impressed with the overall "price vs. quality vs. look vs. wait time" of this hat of yours Puppetboy...
But, like the Man said:
DR Ulloa wrote:More shots from different angles will really show off the block shape. It looks nice. I'd like to see more.
...Any chance we could get you to whet our collective appetites for a good "Beater" Hat by posting a few more shots from several different angles?
:)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

That's an interesting new offering you've got there, Todd. :) So, what I'm getting is that this hat kind fills that "niche" the Dorfman has been filling for years only it's shaped to actually look like a Raiders hat.....From the pic it looks like it's got the "turn". :-k

I honestly would like to actually see if from different angles being worn on someones head.

In general, I'm really getting tired of the "hats sitting on blocks pics" that seem to be the norm on the boards.....I understand the "shy factor" and all of that but we all know that you can't really get a good idea of how the hat is going to look until someone slaps in on their melon. The head distorts the bash all the time.

So, yeah.....The hat might look great sitting on the shelf but what about the noodle? :lol:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

What we really need to do is send them to Harry to get pics taken. Then we'd have a constant, handsome Harrison Ford-type mug to use for comparisons!

I just ordered one of Todd's Downtowner models as I've been looking around for a high crowned Indy style to wear and abuse often. The price was right where I was aiming, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. It should replace my old Disney snowblowing hat nicely.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Be sure and post pics when you get it Tibor!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Will do ...

My last order from Todd was pretty quick, so maybe by Friday or so.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I'll be getting mine on Monday, so I can post some pics and a review as well. :)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Tibor wrote:What we really need to do is send them to Harry to get pics taken. Then we'd have a constant, handsome Harrison Ford-type mug to use for comparisons!
Hhaha.....Uh, yeah.....All the hat vendors here can....Uh....send me a sample hat and....I'll model the hats and post pics.....and then I'll like keep them. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. I'm ALL for it. ;) :lol:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:
Harry, I can't recall... what's your Hat Size again? :-k

(Tryin' to help you out here, my friend...)
;)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

HAHhaa.....Thanks. ;)

When I bought my old Fed Deluxe from Akubra I got a size 59. I'd have to measure my head again because it's been so long since I bought a hat. I usually go a bit bigger because that allows for extra room if my hair isn't cut short. That and all hats tend to shrink some. My AB fits me perfectly now... :whip:

Anyway......Yeah, I think I'll be waiting a looooooooooooooong time for free hat samples. :rolling:
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

I'm not sure which is the Coyle's (Todd's) Downtowner thread. There appear to be several, with a considerable amount of overlap:

Picts of Todd's Downtowner

Todd's New Downtowner Fedora with Pics

Downtowner Fedora Any Information?

Perhaps, for ease of reference, we should have a standard Show Us Your Coyle's (Todd's) Downtowner topic for photos of this fine hat; and a similarly titled thread for the Uptowner.

Or maybe I'm being too uptight about this.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

No you are right. What I think caused this is is the fact that it is such a new offering: it has only been around for a short time, and a lot of people had questions about them. Since there was no "established" show and tell thread on them yet a lot of individual threads popped up. :-k

One of these threads will probably "win out" and morph into the "standard" thread on these hats, or one will be started that will serve that purpose in the end, but that just hasn't happened yet.

You could try and start up such a thread yourself though, being a proud owner of one of these ;)

Regards, Geert
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Puppetboy wrote:Thanks for noticing the new hat. I've been working on it for a LONG time. The factory is in China, and they make some nice stuff. They have been great to work with in getting all of the details I wanted.

The hat is all mine from the ground up. It is not a Herbert Johnson clone. My intent with this hat is to give those who want an affordable hat something that looks like a real Raiders hat right out of the box. The brims come pre-shaped in the Raiders style, and the crowns are shaped here before they go out. The hats are cowboy-hat stiff so that they don't loose their shape. A lot of customers complained that the HJs were too soft and got deformed too easily. No worries here. These hats will not go out of shape.

I refrain from putting the standard "mug shots" on the web, since I think they are boring. Besides, these hats are not for those who want to pull out their rulers and measure all the angles. (not that the angles are not good ones - they are.)

People who will like this hat:
1. Those to whom $100 is a lot of money
2. Those who have never bought a hat that cost more than $29.95
3. Those would never dream of shaping their own hat
4. Those who are reluctant to order from a foreign country (returns/exchanges and all that)
5. Those who want a Raiders hat that looks tons better than the DP Indiana Jones hats.

I hope this explaination will answer most of the questions you have.

For my upscale hat, keep an eye out for the "Coyle's Uptowner".

still enjoying myhat
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

just wanted to let people know that todds has back instock the downtowner and uptowner hats again -- :D
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Yep, definitely spring for those. But if you get a downtowner, you also should nab one of todd's hat ribbons to go with it. (the one it came with seems rather purplish.)
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well we had a nice storm about a week ago here in chicago and i was wearing my downtowner to shovel my walks and it held up quite well , doesnt even look like it was snowed on since the snow was coming down about an inch and hour, best investment i have made , love this hat!!! but i have said that a bunch a times :D :lol:
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nicolas Jones »

Puppetboy wrote:
4. Those who are reluctant to order from a foreign country (returns/exchanges and all that).
Usa IS a foreign country !!!!! ;)

regards!

Nico
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

:lol: It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? ;)
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I got a Downtowner in a trade with a fellow COWer, it arrived today. I love the color. However when I opened the box the first thing I noticed was the size of the hat. Not the fit, of course I knew the size of the hat long before it arrived. I mean it's just a big hat. Taller, wider ... compared to my other fedoras it's huge! Don't get me wrong, I like the hat it's just hard getting used to its appearance on my head!
Anyone else notice how big this hat is?
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

It's big, for sure. But I think it's more of a caricature hat. It's got the form and shape, just not the nuances. Perfect for sillouettes. Not good for bashing. It's a brute of a lid....and yes, big like you perceive :TOH:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Brute indeed! Getting out of my car this afternoon a powerful Oklahoma wind blew the hat off my head, it hit my car and dented the fender! :lol: Now this is a hat you can wear in any weather without fear!
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

alphared6 wrote:Brute indeed! Getting out of my car this afternoon a powerful Oklahoma wind blew the hat off my head, it hit my car and dented the fender!
And that was on a Saturn! :mrgreen:
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

alphared6 wrote:I got a Downtowner in a trade with a fellow COWer, it arrived today. I love the color. However when I opened the box the first thing I noticed was the size of the hat. Not the fit, of course I knew the size of the hat long before it arrived. I mean it's just a big hat. Taller, wider ... compared to my other fedoras it's huge! Don't get me wrong, I like the hat it's just hard getting used to its appearance on my head!
Anyone else notice how big this hat is?

yeah when i got my downtowner last year i had noticed how high the crown was , but as todd told me i was one of the first to get that hat and it was made a bit higher , the newer batch is much more in line with the uptowner crown , so i'm guessing you got a early version too, but i like my hat it looks good on me , :D
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

here is my downtowners at the c2e2 comic convention last week
Last edited by indyclone on Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Wow I gotta go to that convention :twisted:
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Whoa I gotta go to that convention too :D
pwam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by pwam »

I ordered a pb custom indy about a month ago. I got it because I was tired of wearing my wool disney hat. In the mean time i decided i'd also order the downtowner because i knew pbs could take a while. I'm really impressed with the downtowner. despite being abused and sweated in, its maintained its shape, and oddly enough, most of its new hat smell. I'm still waiting on my pb but when i get it i'll post some comparison pics of it and the downtowner. I think todd definitely got this hat right. :D
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Man I wish they had conventions like that in Houston :x

Kyle
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

and the good thing about chicago in august we have the wizard world comic con and even more attractive ladies will be there :D :whip: