I did it!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I did it!

Post by afrayedknot »

I just sent Marc a payment for an Adventurebilt Deluxe! With my name on the list (and about a seven month wait), I guess I should start thinking about specs. So far, I've only decided on a Raiders bash and turn. Is there anything else I need to consider, or should I leave everything else in Marc's capable hands?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

This isn't necessary but you might want to consider having it styled after a particular scene that you like - Streets of Cairo, Raven Bar, Idol Grab, those are the most popular. :junior: -M
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Thanks, Mulceber! It gives me yet another reason to watch Raiders over and over again! :D
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

to be honest i would'nt think about anything..... i would deny to myself the wait im in for and accept the numbness of feeling that will incurr... prehaps i'm depressed, ive been waiting over a year now for my steve AB. please god all i want is my hat. i might not be the best person to talk to right now :( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Congratulations on your purchase. My AB Deluxe is currently on its way from Germany to California, and I can tell you from direct personal experience that Marc is wonderful to deal with in crafting your dream Indiana Jones fedora. No inquiry or detail is too minute for his attention, and he was exceptionally patient and receptive to my questions.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks, Mulceber! It gives me yet another reason to watch Raiders over and over again!
No problem. Just a bit of advice: if you're going to have the hat turned, I'd stay away from the idol grab style, since that was one of the (few) hats in the movie that wasn't turned. :junior: -M
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Mulceber wrote:
No problem. Just a bit of advice: if you're going to have the hat turned, I'd stay away from the idol grab style, since that was one of the (few) hats in the movie that wasn't turned. :junior: -M
Oh great now I have to e-mail Steve to change the style of my hat. #-o I think I may go with a Streets of Cairo look since I wanted my hat turned. You think Steve would not be too mad. Thanks for the info Mulceber. Did not know the hat was not turned in the idol scene. I guess I need to do further research. :wink:

Afrayedknot, you have made a great choice in selection of a hat, Marc makes a great hat. I was thinking of getting one from Steve and one from Marc. Right now I only can afford the one from Steve right now. Especially with the weak dollar. Your going to love your hat when you get it whether in 7 months or a little earlier than that.

IndianaChris
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Nah, Steve will be fine with it. It may take a while to get ahold of him, but he'll take it in stride. :junior: -M
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

im going with ravens bar style which is also turned but does'nt have the extremity of the bashed about look of the SoC
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Mulceber wrote:
Thanks, Mulceber! It gives me yet another reason to watch Raiders over and over again!
I believe the "Idol Grab" hat is turned, at least it sure looks that way to me. The hat from the exterior Temple scenes is the one that may not have been turned, or at least not turned as much as the other hats in the movie.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Take a look at screenshots from that scene: the crease on the hat is pretty much centered, whereas on the other hats it's off to the side. :junior: -M
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It gives me yet another reason to watch Raiders over and over again!
You need a reason?! :D
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I have plenty of reasons. This is just another reason! :wink:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

afrayednot, many congratulations! :P

Red Dust, I'm sorry to hear that your wait has been so long and I'm sure that Steve is working as fast as he can. :wink:
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

With his apprentice now in hand, hopefully that wait will be shortened considerably for you.
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

In the mean-time i have this tatty non screen accurate lid.... (please no abuse from Bo-Sox fans) :wink:

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Well, at least you'll go from a close enough to EXACTLY right. I went from one fedora to the next over the last 20 years - 8 or 9 all told - before the Adventurebilt.
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

well i know i'll be getting it within 80 days time.. thats the count down for the release, its seems like no time at all now... 80days. I guess thats what a year and abit wait does to you. :)
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Should I wait until after I've sent Marc some pics of myself before I decide on any specs? He may have a better idea of what might be ideal for my face structure.
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

dont know... ive been on steves list for over a year and was thinking to send him some pics of my face structure, i heard that he emails b4 he starting working on your hat so that was when i was going to send my pics. Im not sure if it works that way so you might have to ask someone who's recieved an AB to see if thats how it works.... plus they will have the photos fresh rather than having them in storage for 7 months and then they cant find them.

Red Dust
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

In ordering my Magnoli and my AB and I supplied pics of when I first e-mailed usually. In case of the Magnoli, I sent him an e-mail asking him if I should just sent the pics to Steve or just sent it to him. He said just to send it to him and he forwarded the pics to Steve. :D

So afrayedknot, I would go ahead and give your pics to Marc that way he has them with the style and anything else you want on the hat. I am not sure if they e-mail you before they work on your hat or not. Since I am not getting my AB probably until later this year I cannot confirm or deny it. With being extremely busy making hats I would say they may not have the time, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone who just recently got an AB can chime in here, but I would just go ahead and attach the pics with your next e-mail to Marc. I hope that helps some afrayedknot, and your going to get a fantastic hat even though the wait might be 7 months or so. :wink:

IndianaChris
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Since I most likely will not receive my fedora before the KOTCS premiere, I'm thinking about ordering this:

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ls414.html

Does anyone have an opinion about this particular fedora? I can't even tell who the manufacturer is. All I know is that it is very cheap.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

afrayedknot wrote:Since I most likely will not receive my fedora before the KOTCS premiere, I'm thinking about ordering this:

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ls414.html

Does anyone have an opinion about this particular fedora? I can't even tell who the manufacturer is. All I know is that it is very cheap.
Looks like the Dorfman Pacific to me..
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, seriously, don't order from Herrington's, if only because they're lying to people. If you have to get a dorfman, get it from legitimate source like the Fedora store. :junior: -M
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

"I looked into the trap, Ray!"

Okay, so I bought the DP from Herrington's, only because I got free shipping. I haven't received it, yet, but I'm already wondering how I can improve it. Any suggestions?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

afrayedknot wrote:"I looked into the trap, Ray!"

Okay, so I bought the DP from Herrington's, only because I got free shipping. I haven't received it, yet, but I'm already wondering how I can improve it. Any suggestions?
Seems as if most around here aren't too keen on the DP Fur Felts. I like mine thus far. I'm going to give mine some sort of TOD bash. It seems well suited dimensionally.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

So, if I decide to do a "do-over" once I receive it, how do I begin? Is there a lot of steaming, stretching, blocking, pinching, bashing, and crushing?
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey, afrayedknot, if you ordered the DP from Herrington's (the $49 one), it appears you're not getting the one they've pictured on that site. They've been EXTREMELY sneaky and have shown a picture of the "fur-felt" version of the DP on the page they're selling the "wool-felt" version. So, that kinda s*cks. When it comes to bashing, it's going to be a lot harder to shape the wool-felt hat, but you already know this, I'm sure.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I guess I will be paying shipping then . . . when I return it! I would have bought one from the Fedora Store, but they were sold out in my size (I wonder if it has anything to do with the movie coming out). Any other suggestions as to where I can purchase a fedora for under $100? I just spent quite a bit on an AB Deluxe and I can't justify spending any more. Maybe I should wait until I actually see it before I make any decisions. :-k
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Afrayedknot: I can't wait to see the AB Deluxe pre & post bash. I bet it'll be a perfect fit.

Cheers!

Dan
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: I did it!

Post by afrayedknot »

Okay, I just received an email from Marc. He's ready to begin making my fedora! Here's the email I received:

Please read the foll owing instructions on how to measure and let me know your EXACT headcircumference and of course what hat you'd like me to make for you (Raiders, CS etc. etc. etc.). Also, if you have any specific details that you'd like me to incoorperate in your hat (for example a certain brim width that you've come to like, or a specific bow length, stitching on the back of the sweatband etc. etc. etc. - whatever you like - after all this is YOUR hat), please let me kno w.

Ok, here's how to measure:

To get it right, get yourself a good measuring tape (NON-stretchy), which you double check with the help of a ruler, to make sure it's truly exact. They only cost a few bucks and might save you a lot of trouble and shipping costs later on. Now, stand in front of the mirror and wrap the measuring tape around your head, where you want the hat to sit. If you all have hats already, this shouldn't be to difficult. Pull tight (but not TIGHT tight ;-D) and than slowly losen the pull, until the measuring tape feels comfortable to "wear" without sliding down. Do this several times - preferable on different times a day. To start with, you'll get plenty of different measurements, that might vary quite a bit. After a while, you'll end up with one and the same measurement always. YOUR personal head circumference.

I have to admit, I'm really nervous! The only specs I've decided on are the Raiders bash and turn. I'm leaning towards the "Streets of Cairo" look. I haven't given any consideration to brim width, ribbon length, stitching, etc. I'm also a bit worried about measuring my head wrong. Will there be a significant difference in hat size if my weight were to fluctuate (during the holidays, of course)? Where exactly should the hat sit?

I'd appreciate any tips and/or hints from the more experienced collectors. Thanks in advance!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re:

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Blooze wrote:
Mulceber wrote:
I believe the "Idol Grab" hat is turned, at least it sure looks that way to me. The hat from the exterior Temple scenes is the one that may not have been turned, or at least not turned as much as the other hats in the movie.
Blooze , you are correct. The idol grab is turned.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the interior temple hat is unturned until after the forrestal scene......i think swinging across the chasm twisted indy's hat........if you look real quick, he throws the whip back to satipo and then adjusts his center pinch and rebashes his hat.................(kidding)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I'm confused...

This started out as an announcement of a order for an AB DELUXE! (Marc's hat).

It moved into discussions about Steve's AB, and now is a discussion about the 'turn'?

Let's get this back on the rails, or start another thread!This one's going no where fast in relationship to the original topic! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
hikz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by hikz »

Congarts on ordering your hat,I don't know if i could contain my excitment for 7 months, still all good things come to those who wait :)
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

I dont think I could wait that long either
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Just put the order out of your mind but when you do finally get. WOW, you will just love it and glade you did order from Marc. He does just simple amazing work.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

afrayedknot wrote:Okay, I just received an email from Marc. He's ready to begin making my fedora! Here's the email I received:

Please read the foll owing instructions on how to measure and let me know your EXACT headcircumference and of course what hat you'd like me to make for you (Raiders, CS etc. etc. etc.). Also, if you have any specific details that you'd like me to incoorperate in your hat (for example a certain brim width that you've come to like, or a specific bow length, stitching on the back of the sweatband etc. etc. etc. - whatever you like - after all this is YOUR hat), please let me kno w.

Ok, here's how to measure:

To get it right, get yourself a good measuring tape (NON-stretchy), which you double check with the help of a ruler, to make sure it's truly exact. They only cost a few bucks and might save you a lot of trouble and shipping costs later on. Now, stand in front of the mirror and wrap the measuring tape around your head, where you want the hat to sit. If you all have hats already, this shouldn't be to difficult. Pull tight (but not TIGHT tight ;-D) and than slowly losen the pull, until the measuring tape feels comfortable to "wear" without sliding down. Do this several times - preferable on different times a day. To start with, you'll get plenty of different measurements, that might vary quite a bit. After a while, you'll end up with one and the same measurement always. YOUR personal head circumference.

I have to admit, I'm really nervous! The only specs I've decided on are the Raiders bash and turn. I'm leaning towards the "Streets of Cairo" look. I haven't given any consideration to brim width, ribbon length, stitching, etc. I'm also a bit worried about measuring my head wrong. Will there be a significant difference in hat size if my weight were to fluctuate (during the holidays, of course)? Where exactly should the hat sit?

I'd appreciate any tips and/or hints from the more experienced collectors. Thanks in advance!
Does anyone have any suggestions?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would get a friend , wife girlfriend , someone else to measure your head for you. Follow the direction given by Marc. If you wear hats already. Place the tape around the spot you would wear your hat. take it a few times. Send him all the measurements you get. As for the look , I would pick one and let Marc work his magic.

Congrats on a wonderful hat you will have.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Well afrayedknot, I would do what BendingOak described above. Your going to have to use a clothing measuring tape and measure your head above the eyebrows. I would measure at least three or 4 times. I kept getting 23 7/8 just about everytime when I measured my head. But I wouldn't be too worried about your head growing during the holidays, the only time it may be different is when you get a haircut or something. You sound really concerned about this when there really is no big concern. Just get your head measured up correctly and sounds like your good to go. Marc does an excellent job with his hats and you will have the finest hat you can get for the price. Can't wait to see your Ab Deluxe Raiders. I haven't seen you on here in a while, what's new??

IndianaChris711
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

One more thing. Take your measurements before you cut your hair , not after.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding brim width, ribbon length, stitching on the sweatband, etc.?

If I send a picture of my face, will it help in determining the right brim width for my face shape?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

afrayedknot wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions regarding brim width, ribbon length, stitching on the sweatband, etc.?

If I send a picture of my face, will it help in determining the right brim width for my face shape?
Send the pic but let marc decide everything else.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Best advise I could give anyone is.....

1- tell Marc what style hat you want.
2- give him a accurate head measurement.
3- send him a couple of photo's

most important
4- stand back and Let him do his work.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

BendingOak wrote:Best advise I could give anyone is.....

1- tell Marc what style hat you want.
2- give him a accurate head measurement.
3- send him a couple of photo's

most important
4- stand back and Let him do his work.
That is what I originally intended, but I was thrown off a bit by Marc's e-mail. Thanks for the advice.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I think he is giving you an option on everything. I would ask him directly if you can just give him the 3 I listed.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I received an update from Marc on my AB Deluxe:

I just finished pouncing your hat five minutes ago. We've been working hard to improve our pouncing technique furthermore over the last months. THIS one turned out PERFECT!!! It is so smooth, you'll almost need an magnifying glass to see it's actually felt!!! You can be happy that it's not my size LOL

I cannot wait until it arrives!!! I'm actually a bit nervous, though! I'm afraid that my expectations might be too high, or that I measured my head wrong, or it won't look good on my misshapen head . . . Has anyone else experienced these feelings?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Remember that it is a hat. It won't jump out of the box and onto your head and shoot lasers out of the bow knot. If you remember that this is a hat, you will be fine. You are receiving one of the finest made hats in the world. I know you will be happy. Congrats, man. Make sure yo post lots and lots of pics once you do get it.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

afrayedknot wrote:I received an update from Marc on my AB Deluxe:

I just finished pouncing your hat five minutes ago. We've been working hard to improve our pouncing technique furthermore over the last months. THIS one turned out PERFECT!!! It is so smooth, you'll almost need an magnifying glass to see it's actually felt!!! You can be happy that it's not my size LOL

I cannot wait until it arrives!!! I'm actually a bit nervous, though! I'm afraid that my expectations might be too high, or that I measured my head wrong, or it won't look good on my misshapen head . . . Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

Don't worry, your expectations couldn't be higher than what Marc can make. congrats.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

So your wait time for an AB Deluxe was a little over a year? I ordered mine in October of last year and am hoping to get it before January.