Could it be an Adventure Built?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Could it be an Adventure Built?

Post by Ohio Jones »

Hey guys,

I was looking at a movie mag and saw Johnny Depp in a pic of the upcoming Public Enemies. That hat rocks and thought it could be an AB.

Any thoughts??????
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Could it be an Adventure Built?

Post by DR Ulloa »

The one that is taken off the hat rack by, I think tis Bale, has an AB style to it. Maybe Steve can chime in, unless he is contracually obligated to stay quiet about this.

Dave
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

There is a sweet movie poster with Depp up close with a tommy gun and the felt looks so slick...like seal skin..so smooth and the ribbon is incredible!!!!!!!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I cannot wait to see the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was asked to make a hat or two for the film. It wouldn't have really cut into his lead times as it would have only been a couple hats. I don't think any more than ten or so hats would have been made for the film including stunt hats and duplicates, but I could be wrong.

Dave
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

ohio, I've thought the same thing while watching the trailer. some hats really reminded me adventurebilt's style and finish, but I don't think Steve and Marc would be so crazy to let themselves be involved in another movie: that would mean a slowing down of their work on indy's hats, and a lot more of orders from everyone who want a hat like the ones in Public Enemies.

surely, if I were them and I had made the hats for this new movie, I'd rather keep the thing for myself :P
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

all hats in the new public enemies movie worn by the main actors were made by graham at optimo. if you are talking about the light gray depp puts on & then snaps the front of the brim down on, then that was one of last years liteweights/featherweights. althought the name of the colour escapes me at the moment...
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Whoever made that light grey/green hat, it is beautiful. I just came back from watching Wolverine and there was a Public Enemies standup with Depp on it. He was wearing a black fedora that I think looks great. I think I get one similar soon.

Dave
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

DR Ulloa wrote:Whoever made that light grey/green hat, it is beautiful. I just came back from watching Wolverine and there was a Public Enemies standup with Depp on it. He was wearing a black fedora that I think looks great. I think I get one similar soon.

Dave
that hat is called oxblood. it is a very dark red.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It didn't appear red at all. I think he was wearing a red tie and that would have brought out the red in the hat. It coujld have just been an optical illusion, but it looked black.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

;0

Does anyone one have any pics of this hat?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

but I don't think Steve and Marc would be so crazy to let themselves be involved in another movie:
Exactly! At least for me. Marc may feel differently. I have already turned down two projects for hats, film hats that is.(I did commit early on to another future film, but will try to weasel my way out of that one when the time comes) And unlike I was before getting the Indy 4 gig, I have learned to keep my BIG MOUTH SHUT! :lol: Loose lips sink ships. So no more info on the above projects.

The only hat I will make will be the Indy 5 hat, if that comes to pass. I committed to that possiblility already, that is, if this longshot ever happens. But, I ain't holding my breath on that one. If Bernie calls me, I will of course accept for Marc and I. But no other film hats. I just am not interested in this aspect of the biz. Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks for clearing that up, Steve.

John, I'll try to get a picture of the hat I was talking about.

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:;0

Here is the black/charcoal hat I was talking about. I don't see any red undertones.

http://www.daemonsmovies.com/wp-content ... 37x499.jpg

Dave
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

That is one sweet hat. It is so slick and yummy. I agree...I heard it was oxblood....and if so that is some DEEP DARK red...and I love it.

What is up with the edge of the brim. If you look at some close ups...about 3/8's back from the edge looks textured.

I must try and maybe make one like this. Super Classy.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:
BendingOak wrote:;0

Here is the black/charcoal hat I was talking about. I don't see any red undertones.

http://www.daemonsmovies.com/wp-content ... 37x499.jpg

Dave
I think it's the ribbon but I could be wrong.

It looks like a black felt hat with a dark maroon ribbon.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think what might be going on with the brim is that it looks, to me at least, like a Cavanaugh Edge. I don't know if felters still make this type of hat body any more, but thats what it looks like to me. John, I think your right about the ribbon.

Dave
jbbowers
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jbbowers »

It has an underwelt on it, to mimic the look of a Cavanagh Edge. Felt manufacturers will no longer make them.

Brad
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Had some stuff in for this movie at the cinema where I work and I have to agree on the oxblood. it doesn't show on the poster pic, but it does show in the pics on the other material we got. It's basicaly a verry dark hat with a rich bordeaux-red sheen to it. Unfortunately I couldn't take annything home to scan (obviously) but I'll try to look for the same pictures online.

Regards, Geert

Edit:here's one that kind of shows it:
and another one:
and a close-up of that last one:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think John is right about this one. I think the hat is black, maybe charcoal grey, and has a very dark red ribbon. The hat and ribbon are different colors. We can see that for sure. I think the deep red that shows up, though I don't really see it, on the hat is an optical illusion, sort of how the Indy's travel hat seems brown. The colors and tones around it trick your eyes into seeing a color that really isn't there. The same effect is happening with the ribbon and hat body.

Dave
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Custom Akubra...No question ;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dave
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

DR Ulloa wrote::rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dave
Yeah, you're right............

Wayyyyyyyyy to flimsy lookin' for an Akubra.. :)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

It also could be a vintage hat from Johnny's personal collection. :-k Could also be one that Art made.

Cheers!

Dan
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

These pictures do not show it as well as the ones we got at the cinema do, but trust me dave, the hat isn't black or charcoal. it's more like a verry dark wine-red. The pictures I posted are slightly too blueish, but the display material we have at the cinema clearly show the hat being a dark red with a slightly lighter ribon.

Regards, Geert
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

It is a known fact the hats were provided by Optimo, as already mentioned. It is also expected that they will do some merchandising tying up with the movie's première (which may well result in a raising of prices, BTW).
This particular hat is made of a color of felt known as "Oxblood", as already mentioned. I have seen another print ot the above pic (the one with Depp leaning on the car's roof) where the red tone can be noticed. It depends on the particular print, the monitor, etc.
Besides that, I would think the fact the colour is named "OxBLOOD" would be significative. :roll:
Regards!
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Barcelona Jones wrote:It is a known fact the hats were provided by Optimo, as already mentioned. It is also expected that they will do some merchandising tying up with the movie's première (which may well result in a raising of prices, BTW).
This particular hat is made of a color of felt known as "Oxblood", as already mentioned. I have seen another print ot the above pic (the one with Depp leaning on the car's roof) where the red tone can be noticed. It depends on the particular print, the monitor, etc.
Besides that, I would think the fact the colour is named "OxBLOOD" would be significative. :roll:
Regards!
thank you!!! it is indeed oxblood with an underwelt to simulate a refelted edge. ](*,) ](*,)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If that is the case, and its not that I don't believe you guys, I may have just found a red hat that I like.

Dave
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

I saw the trailer on TV...and this hat definitely has a deep reddish hue to it.

Look for the trailer...and it helps if you have a hi def TV

cheers
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I see that trailer almost every day at work now and I have to admit: like with Dave, this is the first time I realy like a red fedora. If anyone would have told me about red hats three months ago I would have cringed at the sound of it, but this one sure's a beaut :D

Regards, Geert
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

Ok here we go, i downloaded an High rez preview of the movie and was able to pull some screen shots i grabed some of the "oxblood" and the Grey one in the preview.
Now in some lights it shows that it has a red tint to both the ribbin and the hat boddy but the last pic shows a little more brown to it. I think this is going to be a situation that on screen its a different color than in person.

Now for some shots of the grey for your enjoyment.

Regards Ben