i'm confused

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

chad
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

i'm confused

Post by chad »

this my be a stupid question but, what is a set crack. I was reading (how to attach whip crackers) and it said to make the knot nice and tight is to do a set crack. what is it. I'm new to the whip thing but what's you get started it's hard to stop. any info would be helpful.

thanks chad :whip:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I don't know for sure, but I believe all it is is any crack, and is called a set crack because it's just done to get the cracker set so that it won't come loose. But I'm not entirely sure.
wwmcf
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wwmcf »

^^^

That's the correct answer. It's just so that the knot gets snugged up.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

All is correct about the "set" crack. I'd like to add to "set" the popper, the first few cracks you don't want to pop it or muscle it very hard. the poppers hasn't snugged in and so those first few cracks will tighten it up. Otherwise your will popper will fly off into hyperspace to never be seen again.
Still, one shouldn't muscle their whips so much as they do. I like demonstrating to a beginner that it really takes no muscle whatsover if you know how the whip works and use the correct technique. Most beginners will gingerly bring the whip up and then throw it as hard as they can, often getting a crack around their ear. I suggest to learn the correct technique is to bring the whip up rapidly, and then throwing it forward slowly with your eyes on a horizon level, not looking down. Beginners as I said do it a bit backwards, up slow, fast forward. Do it fast back and slow forward. Make sense? Clear as mud?
One last, don't ever jerk back on the whip. It's always a throwing "out" motion. I consider whipcracking really all about "throwing".