My fedoraiders Presentation and I'm Hat Maker amateur + Pics

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: My fedoraiders Presentation and I'm Hat Maker amateur + Pics

Post by DR Ulloa »

Would you mind posting some photos of the Federation? I'd like to see what the new Fed IVs look like with a good Raiders block.

Dave
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Jason,

I'll echo what has already been said. That is one fantastic looking SOC fedora!!! I think you've really nailed the look! When I saw this pic -

I immediately thought of this photo -

Keep us all posted if you decide to start selling hats. I think you'll have more than a few interested customers.

Kind regards,
Craig
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Tundrarider wrote:Perhaps we can inspire Jason to begin production of his awesome fedoras by giving him a list of serious potential customers!
Hey Michael,
Since I pm'd fedoraiders last Thursday and asked him the same thing, you don't mind if I do that nifty little Comic Book Gimic and refer to myself as #0 so that your list now looks like THIS, do ya?
Tundrarider wrote:Interest list for Jason's awesome SOC fedoras:
0) Mitch LaRue
1) Tundrarider
:P
(In all seriousness...I DO agree, though... No pressure, Jason!)
Mitch
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I have to agree with you guys... Even if he just maybe offered a re-block service to start, that would be nice. Just don't want him to get too overwhelmed though, since he has an extremely good looking SOC hat (probably one of the best) it would be very popular I imagine. Plus a bonus for us Mitch; being Canadian and all, looks like we have an advantage for once in no cross border mail travels. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

-1) Hollowpond ? ;)

Mitch...I think you started something. :lol:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
All in good fun!
:D
Personally, I can't think of a better compliment for all of Jason's great work than the fact that he's not even making them for sale and yet we're STILL crawling all over each other to get to the front of the line!
:roll:
You should feel very proud of that fact, fedoraiders!... It's not east to turn three Gearheads into The Three Stooges (or The MARX Brothers!)... you have to have something pretty special to get us to all trip over each other like that!
;)
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

When i saw these Sceen Used picture in 2007, i was very very very happy because it is the original Street of Cairo hat. Since i look these pictures every day and it's not a joke. This hat has become a obssession for me.

You are reason ,the back brim is fall but this hat has almost 30 years.

I would like to wear this hat, it's a another dream, lol.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

DR Ulloa wrote:Would you mind posting some photos of the Federation? I'd like to see what the new Fed IVs look like with a good Raiders block.

Dave
I will put my Federation hat picture soon.

Thanks

Jason
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

If you want to see other picture of my own hat in action, look in the ( scrapbook ) community section on the forum.

Thanks!

Fedoraiders

WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

thats a great picture jason!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

fedoraiders wrote:If you want to see other picture of my own hat in action, look in the ( scrapbook ) community section on the forum.
He ain't kiddin', folks... DEFINITELY worth checkin' out!
Mitch
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I love how the Indy films have spawned so many DIY hatters represented in this forum. It's truly awesome. Hat-making was a lost craft, but you guys are bringing it back. I think there really is a sea change going on among our generation with regards to how much we value handmade goods and trying to figure stuff out on our own and sharing that knowledge. :clap:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

This looks 360 stovepipe Image This hat has a litttle too much reverse taper. Image. So, unless the block is too wide for fedoraraider, I'd say he needs a tighter fit (slightly smaller block) to eliminate that reverse taper. That's the Winston 360 theory. I think if Ford donned screenused's hat today, the brim WOULD curl in back, simply because the hat would still be too tight a fit. If I'm right, I hope fedoraraiders or someone else makes tight 360's instead of me. I hate making hats... :H:
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

3thoubucks,Thanks for opinion and you are right.

I reblocked this hat ( Herbert Johnson ) the last month because me too, i beleived that this crown hat is too big BUT i liked my HJ before my last modification. I knew that hat did not have the SOC style but the hat had a good style. ( Single Style ).

Look the new picture and it's not finish, i don't like the brim.

Thanks for you comment, i appreciate.

Jason
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Again, is impressive what Jason achieve with a hat.
After a lot of work we (a hat maker that's makes fedoras for a spanish forum and I) obtained a fedora with some resemblance of a SOC.
This what I talking about:

Anyway, this hat is now in a hand of other fan here in COW. I have another a smaller hat made for the same hat maker, but, is far from Jason does.
Sorry for the photos, but this mosaic I made to offer the hat, anyway, I showed before my face so, forget about some shy of my part.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

darth_ming, this hat has a very good shape. Your pictures are beautiful but i like the pictures 1,4,8 and 9.

jason
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Image I assumed this hat wasn't a tight fit, allowing for a little too much reverse taper in the sides, or the block was a little too wide for you, but it might have something to do with the amount of turn. The more you turn a hat, the more reverse taper you'd get in the sides. But I'm just nit-picking. It's such an attractive, popular look, if you could reproduce it, and sell it, why change a thing about it? Perhaps even using the same felt.? \:D/ Your rblocked HJ looks like one of my hats, and I've got to admit, I like the Judith hat more.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Tue May 05, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats a very good point. Realize, Jason, that if you change to a good quality rabbit or even beaver felt, you will not get the same shape out of the block you have made. Each felt reacts differently to the block. The sub-par felt you are using makes a good looking SoC hat, but a good quality rabbit felt might not looks as SA, using the same block. If you have any intention on selling hats, either see how good felt will look on the block and begin tweaking it or stick with the not so good felt you are currently using.

Dave
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

fedoraiders wrote:If you want to see other picture of my own hat in action, look in the ( scrapbook ) community section on the forum.

Thanks!

Fedoraiders

Wow, it looks like you are holding the camera in your hand. Usually at that close range the hat will look rather bad due to kind of distorting at close range, but your hat still holds up and looks good! :tup: (Man, look at that bulge on the left-hand side, your right-hand side) DROOL, and the brim... :notworthy:
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Jason,

What about the turn? are you making the raiders turn?
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

DR Ulloa wrote:Thats a very good point. Realize, Jason, that if you change to a good quality rabbit or even beaver felt, you will not get the same shape out of the block you have made. Each felt reacts differently to the block. The sub-par felt you are using makes a good looking SoC hat, but a good quality rabbit felt might not looks as SA, using the same block. If you have any intention on selling hats, either see how good felt will look on the block and begin tweaking it or stick with the not so good felt you are currently using.

Dave
You are right, each felt reacts differently to the block. It's special. I take a note when i reblock each hat because i have many similar blocks.

Jason
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Late to the party as always, but I am very, very impressed with your work! Can't wait to see the evolution of your hats and techniques. A very auspicious debut!
KenS
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by KenS »

My dream is to become a great hatters

I think you are on your way to where you're going. Nice job on this hat, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next creation.
Best regards, KenS