New can cutting Guinness record

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

New can cutting Guinness record

Post by winrichwhips »

I went to Milan, Italy, this past April and took part in a show called "Lo Show dei Record" where they had me attempt a brand new record, most cans cut in half in 3 minutes with a whip. They wanted me to do at least 20 cans for it to be a record, and each can had to be cut clean in half (at least two pieces). I managed to get 23. I used a heavy 8 ft bullwhip for most of the cutting, and then had a 6 ft stockwhip for backup.

While I don't have video of the attempt on Italian television, here is a video shot by a local arts magazine which features a bunch of whip work, including cutting cans in half. Keep your eye out for what is now considered the perfect cut, where the bottom half of the can is left unmoved, and you can walk up and drink the soda that's left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHlFYHticq4

Right now I'm just south of Dallas, TX, at the Scarborough Renaissance Festival working on an instructional DVD for whip cracking. Aside from the cattleman's crack, overhead crack, and the flick, we'll be showing/teaching the fast figure 8 and the Tasmanian cutback. It will also include my show at the Arizona renaissance festival, and this morning we just cracked a 220 ft whip for the cameras, so that will also be on the DVD.

-Adam

PS: I'll be performing at the St. Louis Renaissance Faire from May 16 to June 7.
willthebold
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: New can cutting Guinness record

Post by willthebold »

Great job sir! When are you performing at the festival? I'm down in Austin and was thinking about heading up.

-Will
pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfcyoung »

Man a 220 Ft whip!!! Doesnt that break your 216 Guinness World Record? was it leather or nylon? how do you crack it? let me know when your DVD comes out i will pick up a copy.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Oh yeah...I overhead crack my 220 foot whip all of the time :roll: No biggie.

No seriously...220 feet!!!!!! :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I have GOT to see that.

High Regards

Travis
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Will,

I'll be there every weekend, in St. Louis, from May 16 to June 7. You can find more info on the fair using google.

Yes, the 220 ft whip does break my previous record, though it won't be made official as I didn't go through all the paper work needed to get an official record. The main reason I added the 220 ft whip to the DVD was to give it something else that other whip cracking DVDs don't have.

The whip is made from different lengths of rope, spliced together. The whip starts as a shovel handle, the first 100 ft are 1" rope, then it tapers down to 1/4" rope.

We hope to have the DVD out in August.

Cheers,

Adam
ffab
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ffab »

Adam,

Very nice work, as usual :notworthy:
I was wondering if for "can cutting" a specific cracker / fall was recommended.
A while ago a friend suggested me to use some metal "cracker" (guitar string I guess) to do some "cutting", namely plastic bottles.

About that 220 feet ... :shock: what is the overall weight of that monster and ....do you have to use both hands to wield it ?

ps:thank you again for all your online videos, I trying to do stuff by watching you.
if you ever come toward Japan, holler this way.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

ffab wrote: I was wondering if for "can cutting" a specific cracker / fall was recommended.
A while ago a friend suggested me to use some metal "cracker" (guitar string I guess) to do some "cutting", namely plastic bottles.
Watch the ears! :o
Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

I cannot wait to see the DVD Adam, you are always a treat to see...that's why I dragged my GF to see you a second time on the same (last) day of the Renaissance in AZ. Congrats on the record break as well :D

Neal
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

Okay Adam , next time we get together the heck with playing with those 22 footers, I want to play with the 220 footer! Now to add spice to it I say we do nothing but cattleman cracks with it while on fire!! :-

Seriously, that is good stuff!! And just so you know I am progressing nicely with the Schultz whips!

Bob
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Congrats on the new record and looking forward to your dvd in August. Your IOAB definitely wants to learn a few more tricks.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

220 feet! Wow! That's just amazing Adam!

Just one question though, can you SWING from it? (Wink-wink...)

My most distinguished regards sir,

Franco
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Franco,

Well, I think you could swing from it, or at least parts of it, because half of the whip is made from an old hay mow (barn) rope that was used for moving hay bales around.

About swinging, I was messing around with an 8 ft nylon bullwhip the other day, down at the ren fest, and I actually swung from it. It took a while to get the whip to stay put, and once I got the whip in position I put all my weight on it first to test if it would hold me. After that I swung back and forth on the whip several times, and when I was done I got the whip down with one flick of the wrist.

So, with that little experiment, it wasn't quite like Indy because I had to test the whip before I did the swinging. With that, I think the hard part with any swinging is getting the whip to wrap tight enough so it doesn't have any slip.

-Adam
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Yeah you could swing a whole family on that rope! We used to have swings made with those ropes and they lasted over 20 years! But they made this sound; a sort of creaking sound that reminded me of an old sail ship that creaks and cracks in the storm. We were sure one day those ropes would give way and one of us would wind up going through the living room window lol!

I remember when I was younger and (more) foolish, I did that too and yes, getting the whip to not unravel was the hardest part. Of course once you got it secure enough to swing from it, it was usually pretty hard to unwrap it loll! I'm sticking with taking a bridge across the ravine.
Cheers,

Franco