Favorite Type of Whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Your Favorite Type?

Bullwhip
89%
Stock Whip
11%
Snake Whip
No votes
Other (explain)
No votes

Total votes: 56

cmperkins2
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Favorite Type of Whip

Post by cmperkins2 »

I know this is an Indy forum, and that he carried a bullwhip... But I'm wondering what is your favorite type of whip as far as the feel when you are cracking it. Feel free to explain your reasoning in a post.
McFly
Scoundrel

Re: Favorite Type of Whip

Post by McFly »

I voted for bullwhip because although the stockwhip gives you more leverage, I don't like the feeling of the transition knot, and although the snakewhip is a lot of fun (it would be a close tie to the bullwhip), I think it's seriously limited in the range of techniques it can effectively perform without having the stiff handle. :tup:

Shane
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I guess I'd have to go with the bullwhip, for obvious reasons, but we are all biased.
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

I love the bullwhip, simply because it was the first whip I ever owned and I have more experience with one. I love all types of whips but the bullwhip wins for me :H: :tup:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

If you are looking for opinion, you are going to get bullwhip as the number one choice. Most Indy fans have not tried the other various forms of whips. If you ask any true whip artist, they are going to tell you a stockwhip gives you more freedom to perform tricks because of the transition and leverage. Snakewhip is most limited and is not that useful really. Bullwhip is right behind stock.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

The only type of whip I ever had access to for many years, was the bullwhip. I like stockwhips... they are light, and fast, and crack with very little effort. Still, there's something unique and "wild" about a heavy, long, short-handled bullwhip. It is our heritage, at least in this part of the continent.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

I voted for stockwhip , because this is the best whip for whipcracking
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

It's the bullwhip for me lads. It's what I learned on and it remains my favourite type of whip. I like the direct feel I get from the thong and I know what the whip is doing. I don't like whips that do not have a rigid handle, so that rules out any snake or such, and the stockwhip is a different beast all together, and is just not to my liking. It's like driving automatic of standard; it's a question of taste.
Cheers,

Franco
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

You reminded me of something Canuck... I think the starter of this thread needs to specify for what use. They said "as far as feel when cracking it." What are we doing? Targeting? 2 handed stuff? Wraps? Because then peoples answers are possible to change. I do stocks when doing crazy combos or 2 handed. But I hate stocks for wraps and targeting.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Definitely bullwhip for me too, my colleagues of the thong...

It's what I started with. Also, there IS an advantage that the bullwhip has over the stockwhip. The thong on a short handle bullwhip is closer to your arm than it is on a stockwhip. As you throw the whip forward, and start to form the loop or initial curve, that will ultimately roll out and create the crack, the loop is potentially smaller, and closer to your hand, than what it is when you crack a stockwhip. So, you are closer to the action in other words. For any artist it is an advantage to be as close to the action as possible. A painter doesn't like to create his or her new masterpiece in oils with a very long brush. An 8" handle does the trick. Anyway, it's what I like, and the stockwhip for me just doesn't provide that kind of close feedback. The stockwhip is more remote. The bullwhip is also more fluid, at least at the start of the throw, in my opinion.
Last edited by JMObi on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Once again...depending on what you want to do. You will kill the thong of a bullwhip over time if you are doing intense volleys and combo's. You wont have that issue with a stock. I also think that is a terrible analogy as well. A painter has to see the small details on the paper. With whips...you aren't looking at any fine details on paper. You want the whips to be away from the body, with a good fast snappy leverage. The bullwhip takes more arm movement while the stocks take less arm.
Last edited by WhipDude on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I had an expensive stockwhip go bust at the keeper (the loop at the handle connection) once. It was the keeper on the thong, too, not the handle, so stockwhips are by no means free of transition problems. But I agree, definitely better at some things. It isn't a terrible analogy, 'cause we're in the sphere of personal preference here. I am only justifying my own feelings on the matter.
Last edited by JMObi on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Who was the maker? If its a good whip, you shouldn't be having such issues. It also depends if you are abusing the whip or how hard you are cracking. But I would agree with that as well, no whip is issue free. And as I've said before, I think it needs to be specified with what we are doing with the whip. The transition on a stock whip isn't that great for targeting and I would not recommend one to a beginning whip cracker. But for fast and advanced routines, I think the stock whip takes the cigar.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Agreed.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I was not trying to argue or appear to be "Mr. Right," JMObi. (Just in case it came off that way.) I was mainly trying to present the information for the starter of the thread incase they are looking for a first whip. :)
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

I voted for stockwhip. I do targetting, and every two handed routines with them. For me, good stock whip is king of whips :)

Regards,
Karol
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

WhipDude, that's quite OK :) I didn't find you argumentative. It's great to hear all the different views on whips.

Karol, I agree, the Australian stockwhip truly is the king of whips. I'm just a bit of a rebel. I like the bullwhip because it is more wild and adventuresome, as someone I think wrote above. I do honestly prefer the feel when cracking of them also.

P.S. That stockwhip I had that broke down at the thong keeper loop - what happened is that the leather actually tore across, like paper tearing, right before the starting of the plaiting. I was not doing massive power cracking with it. I suspect that the maker must have begun his cut with the stretchy part of the skin, probably near the belly. I don't like to reveal the maker as it was a well respected firm, and I'm ashamed of this chapter in my whip experience. I was a teenager at the time, didn't have much money, and it was a real let down. The maker is no one on this board, and I think is no longer making whips. Or if they are, I hope they have worked out that you don't try to start the set in the belly leather. None of the good makers known to cow members would make this mistake. In general, a quality roo stockwhip will last a lifetime or more of cracking if looked after well.
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

As I've only cracked various styles of bullwhips (cow, roo, and nylon), I can't vote. :) I do want to get a stock whip one of these days, though.

I do know that I could never crack a lunge whip when I used to work at a horse stable... I only tried a few times, but I didn't get a pop worthy of the name.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

Kiscien wrote:...... For me, good stock whip is king of whips :)

Regards,
Karol
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

myrddin wrote:I do know that I could never crack a lunge whip when I used to work at a horse stable... I only tried a few times, but I didn't get a pop worthy of the name.

I have a lunge whip (one of those ugly plastic ones), and it is indeed very tiring to use. I changed the thong for a leather braided one with more taper, and it cracks more easily. Perhaps it needs to be loaded to be balanced? :-k
cmperkins2
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cmperkins2 »

Wow, the snake whip isn't getting any love!

Thanks for all of the input everyone... I have been on the border between getting a new Stockwhip or Bullwhip, and I think this has helped to tip me over the edge to the bullwhip. Thanks!
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

take stock not bull :P
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

cmperkins2 wrote:... I have been on the border between getting a new Stockwhip or Bullwhip, and I think this has helped to tip me over the edge to the bullwhip. ...
the vote is not objective becacuse this is "Indiana Jones fans forum" ;) ;) ;)
cmperkins2
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cmperkins2 »

kooniu wrote:
cmperkins2 wrote:... I have been on the border between getting a new Stockwhip or Bullwhip, and I think this has helped to tip me over the edge to the bullwhip. ...
the vote is not objective becacuse this is "Indiana Jones fans forum" ;) ;) ;)
I know, I acknowledged that in my original post, but it still gives me a general idea.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Don’t be a hater :lol: Favorite doesn’t mean best. :lol:

Indy fan forum site or not It’s funny, even though a lot of us love using stock whips and prefer them for a lot whip cracking, for most of us who grew up with bullwhips; when you ask us what our favorite whips are we will still say a good old bullwhip! \:D/

Dan