Do you think the classic motorcycle jacket is poseurish?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Do you think the classic motorcycle jacket is poseurish?

Post by blueoakleyz »

The classic motorcycle jacket, the one Mutt wore, with all the zippers and buttons and metal, is it too iconic to be taken seriously? Is it too commercialized, theme parkinized and iconicized?

Would it just be better to get a different motorcycle jacket that's nice but not recognizeable.. and/or an airforce jacket?

I saw an older guy wearing one, and while he might authentically be a biker.. it still gave off this image of some one TRYING to give off an image of being a hardass.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Do you think the classic motorcycle jacket is poseurish?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

blueoakleyz wrote:The classic motorcycle jacket, the one Mutt wore, with all the zippers and buttons and metal, is it too iconic to be taken seriously? Is it too commercialized, theme parkinized and iconicized?

Would it just be better to get a different motorcycle jacket that's nice but not recognizeable.. and/or an airforce jacket?

I saw an older guy wearing one, and while he might authentically be a biker.. it still gave off this image of some one TRYING to give off an image of being a hardass.
I completely see where you're coming from... But let me ask you this: Couldn't the same thing be said about the fedora? (although replace "hard***" with any number of adjectives)
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

I think the difference is with the fedora, you can overcome any such issue with pairing it with the right (eclectic) combo of clothes. That's harder to do with a Brando jacket.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I think a bike jacket looks believable if you're a biker, although many men over 30 look silly in those jackets. - especially if the jacket is shiny new. The Mutt design especially, or the famous Perfecto jacket, is a hard look to pull off. The Aero Highwayman jacket is probably the best bike jacket look for just about everyone. Then again, I don't like the look of the A2 jacket at all which is also a clothing cliche; so what do I know... :Plymouth:
matt black
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by matt black »

It also depends on what bike you are riding. A classic style jacket will always look good when on a classic style of bike. Also it will look better when you have worn it in a bit and look like you have been wearing it a long time. Just MHO. :tup:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I think it also depends on the person. If you're someone who's a tad on the smaller side of the frame structure pendulum, OR aside from physical stature, if you're a fairly mild person, I think it may come off as TRYING to project an image. [talk about a run on sentence!]

It also takes a certain flair to pull off a fedora, too. While 99.9 % of the people I see on here CAN do the larger fedora look, I don't know if we all can do a Brando/Perfecto/Mutt jacket look. I can't pull off the pristine Indy jacket look, I need one to be distressed and worn before I could do the look. [The nice new Wested I had looked effiminate on me. :[ ]

Overall, a person can usually tell if they can pull off something. For quite some time I've wanted to do a Beatlesque mustace, and every time I try it.. I end up shaving it off in a few hours. I just know I can't do it. I'm using myself for examples.

Maybe you could show us a pic of yourself and we could see from that?

Randy
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

IMO the Mutt Jacket from TN is totally special! It's not that well known shiny leather. It's a matt cowhide.
The lining is very classy and sets the jacket apart from the other motorcycle jackets.
Also the style of the zipper pockets are totally 50's.
I will buy a second but slightly modified Mutt Jacket from Tony in a different color very soon.

Regards

orb
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I really think that the motorcycle jacket look can only be pulled off by certain people. I don't really know what is the reason that some people look natural in one and others look like their posing. I've seen guys in one that looks like the jacket just "fits". Then again, the other day a guy pulled into a gas station wearing one and he was on a motorcycle and the jacket just didn't look like it belonged.

On our own boards, I think Orb can pull off the look while I would look even more ridiculous than normal. :lol:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Don't wear one unless you want to get into fights.

Back in the day there used to be REAL bikers. Now it's mostly guys in their 30's and 40's who play dress-up on the weekends and go back to the office at 9 a.m. Monday morning.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I love my old Perfecto-built like a tank,fits like a glove and comfortable to wear.Never had any negative comments or hassle.I'm 41,I don't feel self-concious wearing it and I'm not trying to pose.I just love wearing this this jacket.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Great looking Jacket mark seven!
Bad to the Bone killer outfit 8)

Regards

orb
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

mark seven wrote:I love my old Perfecto-built like a tank,fits like a glove and comfortable to wear.Never had any negative comments or hassle.I'm 41,I don't feel self-concious wearing it and I'm not trying to pose.I just love wearing this this jacket.
...looks great on you. Is it a 618 ?
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

CM wrote:I think a bike jacket looks believable if you're a biker, although many men over 30 look silly in those jackets. - especially if the jacket is shiny new. The Mutt design especially, or the famous Perfecto jacket, is a hard look to pull off. The Aero Highwayman jacket is probably the best bike jacket look for just about everyone. Then again, I don't like the look of the A2 jacket at all which is also a clothing cliche; so what do I know... :Plymouth:
dunno... if only half the pics posted here by 20-something year old Indy-wannabes would look as good as 41yo mark seven in his biker jacket ...
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks guys! :tup:
TFG,yes it's the classic 618.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Raider S wrote:
Back in the day there used to be REAL bikers. Now it's mostly guys in their 30's and 40's who play dress-up on the weekends and go back to the office at 9 a.m. Monday morning.
BINGO!! (Alot of those guys never turned a wrench) [-X
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I am not sure I totally agree with the stereotype here. I grew up racing dirtbikes. I had my first one when I was 5 years old. I raced till I was about 16 then only rode off roads from time to time. I eventually bought a street bike and ride it only on fair weather days. I am not that excited anymore about the freezing rain and mud like I used to be.

I am happy to be a fair weather rider - and would never EVER ride my bike on the street without wearing leather - it's better to ruin a leather hide on the cement than losing your own skin. I don't know about looks - I think about function.

I don't call myself a "Wild Hog" rider (movie reference). Guys who buy expensive bikes and can't ride them well - only to cruise to the local pub. My bike is functional - I use it when I can. It's killing me that I can't ride while I am injured.

The Mutt style jacket is pretty timeless. I have seen a lot of guys wearing that style - some look good, other guys bellies hang out too much and they can't zip them up. For me - if it fits and if it protects, and you actually ride a bike - then it works. If you don't ride, why should you want to wear a motorcycle jacket? In that case I would say it a poser thing to do.

Not sure if this makes sense to people. It's just how I feel - but if it makes you feel good and no-one gets hurt, then there's no problem what people think. My current leather for riding (at least pre-injury) is a 1950's police motorcycle jacket - the hide's nice and thick and it's long too. I don't care if people snicker - I just know that I have a bit more protection should I take a fall on the road....if only just a tiny bit.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I beg to differ.
This style of biker jacket expanded way beyond just motorcycle use a long time ago.Rockstars/models/actors are still wearing it because it's just such an iconic,cool-looking jacket.You see variations of it on the catwalk and in the high street shops all the time.The first leather I bought when I was a teenager was this style,I didn't have a bike,I bought it because I was into heavy metal(played in a metal band in the 80s),I see young people are still choosing to wear it now(how many of them ride?).
This jacket makes a statement beyond 'I ride a bike,I need protection')Crossover happens all the time now..how many people wear trainers etc designed for sport purely as streetwear?.
You don't have to ride to wear this classic style biker jacket.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I agree with mark seven. This jacket is now a fashionable, classic leather jacket style. You don't need to be a biker, but the look does have a rebellious suggestion about it, so I would say you need to convey a healthy dose of "attitude" to pull it off well.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Saw the HF movie 'Frantic' (1988) on cable couple of days ago.........I swear the French girl he's with most of the movie has on a 'Mutt' jacket most of the latter half of the movie...even down to the lapel pins......one of you guys who's good with screen caps etc please post some pics.....where are you VP ??..........
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

mark seven wrote:I love my old Perfecto-built like a tank,fits like a glove and comfortable to wear.Never had any negative comments or hassle.I'm 41,I don't feel self-concious wearing it and I'm not trying to pose.I just love wearing this this jacket.

Good for you, Mark. ;)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Mark, you've got the right build to pull off that jacket.....most of the wannabee as well as real Harley riders in the States seem to start at about 350 lb with most of it carried in the belly......... ;)
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I think I was trying to find the right way to say it but came out not what I wanted to say.

I know these jackets are a fashion statement - I remember seeing lots of people wearing them in the 80's that didn't ride. I was just responding that there are a lot of legitimate bikers who wear that style who cannot pull it off - yet they are not posers - they are real bikers and their jackets show the wear. Just because they can't "pull off" the bike look, it doesn't make any difference to them - they wear the jacket for function. Who are we to say who can and who cannot pull off "the look"?

That's all I was trying to say.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:The classic motorcycle jacket, the one Mutt wore, with all the zippers and buttons and metal, is it too iconic to be taken seriously? Is it too commercialized, theme parkinized and iconicized?

I completely see where you're coming from... But let me ask you this: Couldn't the same thing be said about the fedora? (although replace "hard***" with any number of adjectives)
yeah that's the exact same kind of thing I mean. The fedora just says I'm wearing a fedora to dress like Indiana Jones.. not just to wear a fedora.. which is why I don't wear it too often
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

But fedoras were worn by all gentlemen at one time. Biker jackets were not as widespread.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

If you guys are worried about what other people think, go visit Japan....you could wear a dead chimpanzee on your head and people there wouldn't bat an eyelash! :D
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

crismans wrote:I really think that the motorcycle jacket look can only be pulled off by certain people.
And those people "are tearing me apart!!!" :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thing is, you can pretty much tell the 'posers' from the 'real McCoy' when it comes to folks wearing these jackets.

As was hinted at above, but never addressed, it IS like the wearing a hat. It's all in how one wears the item that tells a viewer if they're just wearing the item because it's an extention of the person, or just 'playing dress up'.

Regards! Michaelson
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

Michaelson wrote:Thing is, you can pretty much tell the 'posers' from the 'real McCoy' when it comes to folks wearing these jackets.

As was hinted at above, but never addressed, it IS like the wearing a hat. It's all in how one wears the item that tells a viewer if they're just wearing the item because it's an extention of the person, or just 'playing dress up'.

Regards! Michaelson
And I think a big part of the "extension of the person" vs. "dress-up" difference is due to how self-conscious one is about wearing the article. If you wear it with confidence and as if it's a normal part of your attire, then that's half the battle.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

There's a guy in one of my classes at MSU that wears a "Mutt" jacket. He's a not a classic "biker", meaning he's not big and buff, have tattoos and piercing's, etc. (By the way, I'm NOT trying to start something, I was just referring to the image that everyone has of a "biker".) Anyway, he's a real cool guy, and he wears it when he rides his bike to school. He just wears jeans and a t-shirt with it as well.

But the point I'm trying to make is....when I see him, I don't see someone who is trying to be a tough guy. I see someone who is wearing a cowhide jacket for protection as well as for style ;). He rides a motorcycle, so he wears a motorcycle jacket. If you want to wear it, then wear it. 99% of people are more concerned with what's going on in their lives to worry about what you're wearing. The other 1%....well, just ignore them....if they make fun of you then it's because they're jealous and know that they can't pull that look off.

Wear your jacket, my friend. It's cool! :tup:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Well said Mississippi!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I think the point I was trying to raise was missed... When I asked if the same could be asked about fedoras, I was not really asking whether the pot or the kettle was blacker. What I was trying to get at was what Joe Average would think if he saw a guy wearing a fedora, or a guy wearing a motorcycle jacket.

Yes, most of us here are more used to seeing fedoras, since this IS an Indiana Jones forum. And yes, motorcycle jackets to us would be more alien, since Mutt is a newcomer to the series. So that really shapes how we percieve these things. Most of us see fedoras as being more common because... we've gotten more used to it. However, to Joe Average, a fedora would raise an eyebrow. A motorcycle jacket would also raise an eyebrow. Because to him, those two clothing pieces make a very loud statement, and depending on where you live, you won't necessarily see that everyday. In a place like Milwaukee, home of the Harley, a biker jacket won't necessarily raise eyebrows, while a fedora will cause stares, while likewise in Texas, a fedora will be de rigeur, while biker jackets will be stared at. To hammer home the point, in a biker forum, fedoras will be called strange, and biker jackets will be thought of as "easier to pull off", but all things equal, neither article of clothing can really be considered universally 'normal', and recieve the same amount of curiousity.

To quote the original poster, a biker jacket is "commercialized, theme-park-inized, and icon-ized", but in the same vein, so is the fedora. Both had their heydays, and now anyone wearing EITHER one of them WILL stand out from the crowd to Joe Average. Maybe to an Indy fan, the fedora stands out less, and maybe to a biker nut, the biker jacket stands out less, but either way, to Joe Average, they both stand out... A lot! ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just depends on who your 'Joe Average is' I suppose. Using your examples, 'Joe Average' in Texas IS the fedora wearer....or in Milwaukee, 'Joe Average' IS the motorcycle jacket wearer. It's all in where you're standing at any given moment that defines what 'Joe Average' considers as 'odd'.

I guess I'm lucky, as here in Tennessee no one even looks twice at a wearer of a fedora OR a motorcycle jacket, as they're both seen as a common item here....so, a Tennesseean 'Joe Average' falls squarely in the norm as wearing one, or even both items under discussion on a regular basis. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Actually, my definition of Joe Average was removing traits that may define a person, sort of a universal definition if you will. I meant Joe Average as in taking out circumstance- taking out Milwaukee that makes motorcycle jackets acceptable (since this is unique to certain areas), and taking out Texas (since likewise, it is a unique trait). That's why I referenced Milwaukee and Texas to make reference to specific circumstance, and I didn't mean it as a defining characteristic of Joe Average, whom I meant to be independent of those circumstances.

If it helps, those traits would define the individual as Joe Milwaukee or Joe Texas, while Joe Average would be independent of either of those two defining characteristics.

And by the way, I agree, 'Joe Tennessee' would be the best way to go! ;) :P
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I see your point, Castor. And I completly agree with you. You have different culture everywhere you go. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but if I see someone wearing a "Mutt" style jacket then I don't think twice about it....unless they DO NOT ride a motorcycle (but that's another topic). But other than that, I think to myself, "Hey, he must ride a motorcycle."

You're going to get criticized if you step out of the norm. I'm from Mississippi. I wear boots with my jeans and I walk a little bow-legged from riding horses and bulls. If I go to Manhattan, somebody is going to say something...it's almost inevitable.

So, yes, somebody is going to make a comment or two about a motorcycle jacket, or even a fedora ;) . But if that's what you like to wear...then go for it. I think the motorcycle jacket is a very classy jacket. If you can pull it off, then wear it...but only if you ride a motorcycle!!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have spent a long time finding the look that was "me." I had it in high school, then promptly lost it in college. Now that I'm comfortable in my skin - and my clothes - again, here's what I have learned along the way that applies;

The "biker" jacket is like any other item of clothing, it's like a car, it's like shoes. Either it's "you" or it's not. Either the jacket wears you, or you wear the jacket. It has nothing to do with riding a bike, it only matters if it's a look that speaks of who you are. For example, I can get away with a t-shirt, but if it has a heavy metal band logo on it, or one of those tribal designs, I will look like an idiot. Change into a t-shirt with a funny saying on it, I'm fine.

If it's a look that draws you, go to a store and try one on. Even if you don't plan to buy from your local dealers, they are an easy to find item. Throw it on, look in the mirror a while, then go home and sleep on it. Be honest with yourself. Is it you? Or is it just cool?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Good words Chewbacca!

Randy
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I've heard I look pretty good in a cape and tights. New me....look out world..
:P

On second thought...I don't think I'll go that far.
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

I think the motorcycle/perfecto style jacket has been so widely imitated, as was mentioned before, and recycled by more then one cultural sub-genre that it no longer is so closely identified with the motorcycle world. Maybe more so dependent upon your age. I got one for my girl friend as a gift and she loves it and wears it whenever it is chilly (that means under 70 outside). She likes vintage, and reads fashion magazines and I guess it was "in" for girls fashion.

To me I see it as a biker style jacket, and so does she, but when she first wore it a friend of ours said, "oh, its like a Ramone's jacket!". It really depends on your cultural reference, someone else said, "you look like Sandy from Grease!".

I don't think its for everyone, but to wear one in 2009 I don't think people are going to stop and say, "Whoa, look at that tough guy!".
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Chewbacca Jones wrote: For example, I can get away with a t-shirt, but if it has a heavy metal band logo on it, or one of those tribal designs, I will look like an idiot. Change into a t-shirt with a funny saying on it, I'm fine.
I've tried that, Chewey, and it doesn't work that well for me. Last year my daughters bought me a teeshirt that says 'Never trust a man with a moustache and a gun'. For some reason, folks act nervous around me when I wear it....not sure why.... :-k :[

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, I can, especially if it's before your first cup of coffee! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:twisted: :-
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

In general, I think it all depends on the entire ensemble.

Consider the following.

You've got your basic black biker jacket.

For the "Brando/Mutt" look, you're adding:

- short "Greaser" style hair
- Stiff bluejeans.
- Tucked in t-shirt. (perhaps with pack of Lucky's rolled up in sleeve)
- Bomber pilot cap, cocked to the side (optional)
- Dangling cigarette (also optional)
- Jacket zipped up.
- Engineer/harness boots.

For the "Ramones" look, you're adding:

- Torn, beat-up skinny jeans.
- Chuck Taylors on your feet
- Long scraggly hair.
- Skinny build.
- untucked vintage T-shirt.
- Jacket open usually (although not mandatory).

For the "L.A. Rocker -- G'n'R Variant" look:

- Long hair, not necessarily aquanetted out, but optional.
- Bandannas tied everywhere
- Torn worn-in jeans.
- Cowboy or engineer/harness boots.

For the "L.A. Rocker -- Poison Variant" look:

- Long styled hair with 3 cans of aquanet sprayed in (minimum)
- Makeup/lipstick
- bandannas tied everywhere.
- Shredded acid-washed jeans.
- Cowboy boots, preferably of exotic leather (snakeskin at least, although any exotic will do), and preferably with buckles, straps, and in pristine condition.

For the true "####'s Angel" look:

- rugged, worn (but not torn) blue jeans.
- Long hair. Probably unkempt and possibly covered with bandanna.
- Facial hair.
- Leather chaps. So you don't burn your ****in' legs, man.
- 1% tatoo. Earned by killing someone.
- Toothless "old lady" at your beck and call.
- Knife or pistol or both.
- Bag of narcotics.
- Worn engineer or cowboy boots with thick soles. Good for ridin', good for stompin'.
- Willingness to do great physical harm to people at moment's notice and experience to boot.

For the "Weekend Warrior" biker look:

- Everything Harley Davidson (tm) branded
- Near pristine jeans and boots.
- Leather chaps because those other biker guys wear them.
- Facial hair optional.
- Hair recently washed. Perhaps this morning before you took the kids to soccer practice.
- Desire to project willingness to do great bodily harm to people, but absolutely no desire to follow-through on threat. Nor experience.

I mean, I'd never wear a true biker jacket, except when I put on my Slash costume. But I look far too preppy to pull that off, and I'm not menacing at all.

I do wear cowboy boots regularly, I wear worn jeans, but I generally dress in a style that's a mix of classic look, done mostly cleanly or at least precisely, and although my boots are scuffed for real, I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone. So, yeah, that's the issue for me. It doesn't fit my look (oddly a Wested and/or fedora does).

But my point here is that you can achieve a LOT of different looks and attitudes depending on what you wear WITH the jacket. You can look like a poseur, or you can look like a regular dude who just has a leather jacket. You can look like someone who's begging to get stomped in his weekend warrior gear, or a dude who has stomped before and will stomp again.

Figure out what works for you and then just own it. Walk with a contained confidence rather than swagger or bravado, and people will respond positively. Act like you're trying to be tough and people will think you're a jerk.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote: For example, I can get away with a t-shirt, but if it has a heavy metal band logo on it, or one of those tribal designs, I will look like an idiot. Change into a t-shirt with a funny saying on it, I'm fine.
I've tried that, Chewey, and it doesn't work that well for me. Last year my daughters bought me a teeshirt that says 'Never trust a man with a moustache and a gun'. For some reason, folks act nervous around me when I wear it....not sure why.... :-k :[

Regards! Michaelson
Truly puzzling. :-k Perhaps you'er more the heavy-metal-concert-shirt type?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, I can totally see that. You have that John Wilkes Booth thing going for you.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

In my opinion, in general, the younger you are, the better your chances are in successfully pulling off " a look."........I can't imagine a 40- or 50-some year old pulling off a Sha-Na-Na look and looking respectable.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

If the clothes suit you then you can pull off "a look" no matter what the age.

If the clothes don't suit you.....that's another story
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

PSBIndy wrote:In my opinion, in general, the younger you are, the better your chances are in successfully pulling off " a look."........I can't imagine a 40- or 50-some year old pulling off a Sha-Na-Na look and looking respectable.
Ahhhh, what about Mick and Keith pulling off the 'Rolling Stones' look in their 60's........must be all that 'clean living'........remember Letterman saying one time if THE BOMB ever went off he expected cockroaches and Keith Richards to be among the survivors..... :roll: :lol:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

nicktheguy wrote:If the clothes suit you then you can pull off "a look" no matter what the age.

More than the clothes, though, the other key factor is body type....sure if you're old but have the thin body type of a Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler, it might work......but if your body type is more along the lines of a Homer Simpson, then probably not. :D
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

PSBIndy wrote:......but if your body type is more along the lines of a Homer Simpson, then probably not. :D
You haven't seen many 'Bikers' lately?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

PSBIndy wrote:
nicktheguy wrote:If the clothes suit you then you can pull off "a look" no matter what the age.

More than the clothes, though, the other key factor is body type....sure if you're old but have the thin body type of a Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler, it might work......but if your body type is more along the lines of a Homer Simpson, then probably not. :D

thats exactly the same with the temple jacket. if you have a belly then the jacket wont look good. period.