Cow VS Roo?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Billsid29
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Cow VS Roo?

Post by Billsid29 »

I'm about to pull the trigger on my second whip either an 8'12p cow or an 8'12p roo and my question is how differently will they handle, is one much more better then the other ??? :-k
Thanks
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Cow VS Roo?

Post by rjallen70 »

The problem is there are very few cowhide whips that are constructed as well as roo whips. It really comes down to the maker more than material.
Either material can be equal with equal construction practices. It is just rare to find an exceptionally made cowhide whip.
There are dozens of roohide whips that are fantastic. And few cowhide.
Skip Sansoucie at handmadewhips.com or Adam Winrich for cowhide whips that really perform. For roo, just visit the sticky post at the top of the page for a comprehensive price list.
Ron
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hi,

Like Ron sad, many thing depends on a whipmaker, not on a material. So how they handle depends on what is inside a whip, then what overlay is made from. You should ask someone who got both cow and roo hide whips from different makers, and compare them. It will be the best option to choose best whip for you. But sometimes it can be hard, specially when there is no such person near to you.

Personally I think, that roo and cowhide are good. I'm using cowhide whips when I'm cracking on rough surfaces, or when I'm showing someone how to crack the whip. I practise with my cowhide whips most of the time. I prefer roo when I'm making whip-shows, or making two handed routines. But for simple one handed cracking there is no big different to me.

Regards,
Karol
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Simply put, it depends on the maker.
Billsid29
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Billsid29 »

Thanks for the info!
Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Will_Morgan »

I agree that the maker's skill is first order when looking at the quality of a certain design of whip.

But material matters, and for the bullwhip my dad developed, a design i think we are assuming you are considering looking at given your post here, kangaroo is generally better than calf. When the US embargoed kangaroo David worked in calf because he couldn't get kangaroo, the second he could get kangaroo, he moved to the better material and never looked back despite the costs and challenges in importing kangaroo versus sourcing calf locally.

Research tensile strength and scuff resistance of calf versus kangaroo, then look for a maker who would prefer to cut out a 450 series style bullwhip from calf as opposed to quality kangaroo leather... good luck!

You can get junk kangaroo skin, just like can get poor leather of any species. The tanning process really begins when the animal dies, you have to manage decay from the start with refrigeration and or pickling. If the shooter leaves the carcass in the back of their ute for days, then they've destroyed the unique qualities of kangaroo given by its tight cell structure: http://packerleather.com/kangaroo-leather.html

Different whip designs are optimized for different leathers. Latigo makes a great rough and inexpensive four plait yard whip and if well tapered will crack just fine. There are many many beautifully optimized calf and cow leather whips out there. Cow and calf are relatively unsuitable for most finer work, well perhaps excepting very fine rawhide work, because of the courser grain, the tendency to lose strength on splitting, the directionality of the fibers, etc..

Getting back to basics, what do you want a whip for? If you want to put your whip in a display case or hang it on your belt for a Halloween party than the material doesn't matter so much, calf and kangaroo can look similar from a distance.

Your budget is of course a valid consideration as in all things like for example musical instruments: Sure I'd rather have a Fender american standard strat, they are far more playable in general than the mexican model i own. Both of these model's necks are computer milled, so the frets are in the right places, the workmanship is fine on the mexi. The cheaper wood, tuners etc... are mostly where the compromises are made, or not. It is not the best guitar to play, but for my second guitar, it was a wise choice.

If you are going to be cracking a whip in the wet, or on gravel, or if you don't want to worry if you lose it, a nylon or synthetic whip would be best. A well made good calf skin 450 series style whip may serve you very well for a long period of time given proper care, but, if you have the money, and there is a chance you are going to crack the whip repeatedly over decades and really want to hone your chops with the help of a fine instrument, you ought to consider ponying up for kangaroo in conjunction with your search for a quality whip maker.
BroadSword
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BroadSword »

Will, good info.

My dilema is that I have a mostly rough dirt, rocky backyard where I would be practicing most of the time. I had a nice DelCarpio roo-hide whip and I loved it, but had to sell. I do want another whip, but was considering something in cow due to the rougher terrain of my yard.

What are your thoughts on that. Obviously I'm an Indy fan and need a leather whip to complete the ensemble so a nylon version is not something I'm considering.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Your only choices for the durability you seek is Latigo or redhide.
Oil tan, veg kip etc are less tough than roo.
Ron