My First Stock Whip and Its A Terry Jacka

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My First Stock Whip and Its A Terry Jacka

Post by bobm2004 »

Man did I have a great St Patrick's day! I managed to STEAL this magnificent Terry Jacka stock whip from ebay!! Its a 7ft, 16 plait wonderful two tone whip, model 322t! What made the deal even sweeter is that ebay gave me a 24 hour 10% off coupon, so after all the bidding was done I got to deduct 10%!!!! Once again, everyone has permission to drool!

The seller has told me he has a Morgan up right now and a couple more whips to come!
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My First Stock Whip and Its A Terry Jacka

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

YOWZAA!!! :shock: That is a beautiful whip! I remember watching this one when it first came out on the bay.. I gotta say, it almost seems a crime to crack it since it is such a work of art! ;) Enjoy it!

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

I am officially drooling. That is an absolutely gorgeous whip. You're lucky I didn't see it on eBay, or you would have had some stiff competition (I'm sure you had plenty of that even without me).

Dare I ask how much you got it for? Or would that push me over the edge into dangerous mode?

Beautiful!!

Regards,
Kenton
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Bob, I was so tempted to put in a last minute bid on that stock whip. I was watching the clock tick down in the last few minutes of the auction, but had to let it go. I knew I’d regret it :lol: I’m really glad one of our members got it though and that it went to a good home :D

Thanks for putting up the great pictures too, It really is a a beautiful example of one of Terry’s higher end two-tone stock whips. I remember when David Morgan sold these, so I had talked to the seller about the whip a bit too (he’s only about 45 minutes away from me) It's practically new, never really used but just kept lightly conditioned over the years with pecards. Terry’s stock whips handle really well, they are light and fast, have a good feel and roll out smoothly. I think you will be very pleased with it and yes you got it at a steal of a price! Congratulations!

Dan
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I was watching that one myself...great deal on that beauty.
Also a 54 plait EM-Brand just recently closed at $622! :shock:
Ron
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ Super NICE!!!!!! =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Delicious!

C
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

Yes I really lucked out on this one-I was so hoping COW members did not see it!!

To answer the question on price I got it for $390.11 ($0.11 more than a another COW member bid, so he told me!!), but as I mentioned, I had a 10% off ebay coupon, so my out of pocket was only $361.00!!!

So I just got back in with trying it out. It is my first stock whip. The overhead crack works pretty much the same as with a bullwhip (saw the guy in the movies Man from Snowy River doing it last week). But the forward and side arm flick as well as the cattleman were much harder. So my question is are there varying techniques for a stock whip, or is it all the same, just a matter of practice and adjusting the longer handle? I trust my COW brothers (and any sisters out there) to be able to help me here!

Thanks all!!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Stock whips can feel a little weird the first if you’re only used to working with bullwhips. It’s mostly just adjusting to the longer handle, that bit of flex in the stock and different style connection to the thong. Stock whips do give you the the luxury of being a bit more wristy with your throws and cracks but the basics are the same.
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

bobm2004 wrote:So my question is are there varying techniques for a stock whip, or is it all the same, just a matter of practice and adjusting the longer handle?
Thanks all!!
If this is your first stockwhip, and all you've been used to so far is bullwhips, then the difference will seem huge. After you finally get it, the difference in technique will seem only minor. When I went from a 10ft. bullwhip to my very first stockwhip, I thought I would never get the very basic cattleman's crack. Like you, the overhead was the easiest, along with the reverse overhead (or slow figure-8 in the overhead plane).

Like Dan said, a stockwhip allows for a little more wristy motion, but for some cracks it actually requires a little more wristy motion....the cattleman's, forward, and sidearm flick are definitely cracks that requre a little more snap or flick of the wrist.

I don't really notice the big difference now, but at the time I remember thinking, "wow, this is really different."

I've heard that some people who start off learning with a bullwhip never really grow to like the stockwhip, and vice versa is also true. Me, I've grown to really like both.

By the way, in case you're one of those people, and never really grow to like your new stockwhip, I'm always here for you. (chuckle) ;) Congratulations again on a great deal on a great whip.

Regards,
Kenton
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

On a little off-topic note, someone should start a Terry Jacka Waitlist thread, like the AB waitlist thread in the Fedora section! Anyone else recieve a Jacka lately? There seems to be very little news on this front...
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Good idea Castor!
It would help the lot of us who are still on the wait list pass the time anxiously waiting to hear from Terry for that "magic email" ;).

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I started out with a bullwhip, then bought an RM Williams stockwhip. I've always much preferred a short handle bullwhip but Australians who grew up on a farm or station tend to think of them as unpractical. Give a farm-raised Aussie a bullwhip and they'll give them a few swings and say "nah...they're supposed to crack easily when ya do that....handle isn't long enough mate" and hand it back with a look on their face that basically says "not bad...but go back to the drawing board and make a real whip next time". Ya gotta love em. They haven't gotten used to a bullwhip and know how to put the right movement into it.

I can see the beauty and practicality in both styles. That is a wonderful looking Jacka stockwhip.