My Purewhips Budget Whip Arrived (with pics)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: My Purewhips Budget Whip Arrived (with pics)

Post by Greengo »

I got one from Gus about two weeks ago. Mine is the 6' model. You should enjoy it!!! Gus is a great guy to deal with. I have had several phone conversations before and after the purchase. He is free with knowledge, very plesent to talk with.

Take that thing out and enjoy!!! ;)

Greengo
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Looks great! I like the dark hide, it looks somewhat aged right outta the box. Question though: is it supposed to be a KOTCS whip or just an Indy whip in dark hide? Just curious. I have one of Gus' 8 plait 8 foot whips in natural tan that I got last April and I love it. I don't get a whole lot of time to crack it, but when I do i really enjoy it.

Enjoy your whip, indyfan.
:tup:

-Bogart
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Mine is 8 ft as well and love how it is dark brown I'm really happy with his whips when I get a non budget I'm getting a purewhip
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

Looks like fun! :whip: I also like the dark color. Let us know how it cracks.

Happy cracking,

Ryan
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i tried to crack it but to be honest i have never cracked a whip in my life #-o :-({|= :(
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

Greengo wrote:Gus is a great guy to deal with. I have had several phone conversations before and after the purchase. He is free with knowledge, very plesent to talk with.
Ditto on that. I bought one of the 8-foot, 8-plait natural tan bullwhips in October. I've only had two cracking sessions due to the cold/wet/snowy weather (including snow today!!!) but the whip has a great feel. The natural tan is also aging and darkening nicely.
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

Hey indyfan1234 the pics look cool. Thanks for posting. Always remember when cracking whips. Wear eye protection. You don't want to cut your eye or worst. Take a look at some whip cracking by Adam Winrich on youtube. He has some ways of cracking whips. Other then that just take your time in cracking. The easier you go the less the "OUCH" You'll get. :D

Gus Caicedo Jr.
http://www.purewhips.com
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, listen to Gus. Don't just go out and try to throw the thing and make a crack. Watch some of Gus's videos or other whipmakers who can give you some expert tips.

Enjoy your beautiful whip!
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

very nice pics
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

well i finally cracked it but i have scars on my arms and legs
its like i do a few cracks then cant do any then finally get some in then cant its frustrating
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

indyfan1234 wrote:well i finally cracked it but i have scars on my arms and legs
its like i do a few cracks then cant do any then finally get some in then cant its frustrating
Scars? Seriously? Man your skin must heal FAST :lol:

Kyle
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i drank from the cup of christ :lol:
well i ment i will have scars i also have bumps as well from impact-ouch ](*,)
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

indyfan1234 wrote:well i finally cracked it but i have scars on my arms and legs
It takes a while to get the timing down. For the overhead crack, I sometimes have to give the whip a few non-crack swings to "recalibrate" my timing before going on a cracking session.

If it'll stop snowing :shock: and warm up, maybe I'll get a chance to do that outside. My last cracking session was inside a racquetball court and it was bloody loud.
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

indyfan1234 - I agree with Gus, check out the youtube vids of Adam Winrich. His tutorials really helped me out. I worked on some of them one at a time until I had them down. Don't get frustrated. There seems to be a wall that you get past and then you begin to feel how the whip will crack. It really does get easier, but it just takes time.

Happy cracking, :whip:

Ryan
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

thx guys i am so glad to have a whip that stays coiled in a nice circle my old whip would just dangle so looked like a very skinny oval. so glad its a circle even in my hand :whip:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

man ive tried and tried and i cant do the flick to save my life
i have the cattlemens crack down and can do it in my sleep
i can also do this weird sideways thing but doesnt work all the time
basically the cattlemens crack is what i can do
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Sounds like you need the whip basics series.
I couldn't teach my son to save my life...and I make whips.
Robby Amper had him doing all the basic cracks in about 2 hours (which is why I now sell them).
Available from midwestwhips.com
cowwhips.com
and from ME! http://www.nylonwhips.com
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

indyfan1234 - you sound just like I did at the beginning. It really just takes time and practice and you will eventually get a "feel" for it. I found the flick one of my more challenging cracks to learn. I agree with rjallen70 too. the Whip Basics videos are a great help. Robby has a great way of helping you work through each crack. By the end of the vol. 1 he'll have you cracking a cool 4-crack combo. But again the best thing is to just keep playing with it and have fun.

Happy cracking, :whip:

Ryan
Indiana Leon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Leon »

Does the whip bear much? I'm making an Indiana Jones fan-film ("Indiana Jones and the Hunt for the Holy Lance") and need a new strong whip. I like to buy the 8ft 8plait budget.
-Thanks
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Don't use a whip, use a rope. If you cut it right they'll never now and you won't damage a whip and end up looking silly.
Indiana Leon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Leon »

I have a allready "stunt"-whip. I only need one for a "tanking-gun away scene". :whip:
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Then that comes down to the whip user, not the whip.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So 8 plait isn't too bad? How much difference will there be between 8 plait and 12 plait? Less life expectancy? Less quality? I like the look of purewhips.....and the price isn't bad either.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

backstagejack wrote:So 8 plait isn't too bad? How much difference will there be between 8 plait and 12 plait? Less life expectancy? Less quality? I like the look of purewhips.....and the price isn't bad either.

hmmm one have 8 and the second 12 :?

in terms of viability or quality is more important is how it is done than with how many plait
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indyfan, how long did it take for purewhips to email you with a confirmation on what you purchased?? I bought a whip on Thursday and my credit card shows the money taken out and I have an email from paypal....but nothing from purewhips confirming my order, etc.

I didn't know if it took some time for a confirmation email other then paypal or if maybe the purchase messed up.....
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

well for me i bought it and then a conformation that i bought it then he usually ships it 2-3 weeks later because he doesn't make it till you order it. i dont think i got an email from purewhips directly just paypal and credit card
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

backstagejack wrote:Indyfan, how long did it take for purewhips to email you with a confirmation on what you purchased?? I bought a whip on Thursday and my credit card shows the money taken out and I have an email from paypal....but nothing from purewhips confirming my order, etc.

I didn't know if it took some time for a confirmation email other then paypal or if maybe the purchase messed up.....
Backstage, if you are AT ALL concerned about your order, just give Gus a call. He is great with customer service and will tell you exactly what is going on with your order.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Actually, Gus saw my posting and emailed me directly after that. Great customer service!! ANd I have to admit, I love this forum and the community....all the vendors are on this forum and you can actually converse with them...

He said he was a little behind on emailing but no biggie. I know the whips take a few weeks to get shipped, I was just worried if my order and everything went through....
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

backstagejack wrote:Actually, Gus saw my posting and emailed me directly after that. Great customer service!! ANd I have to admit, I love this forum and the community....all the vendors are on this forum and you can actually converse with them...

He said he was a little behind on emailing but no biggie. I know the whips take a few weeks to get shipped, I was just worried if my order and everything went through....
TOLD YOU!!!!

This forum IS great, and vendors are very helpful. I am a member of a cycling forum, and as a vendor, I have several times replied to posts from riders looking for certain things, and when I reply and tell them that I can help them, other members accuse me of spamming or advertising. So glad that we are more receptive of our vendors here. If Gus got that type of treatment, I doubt he would be so helpful.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Honestly, I can't wait....I hate to admit this...being such an avid Indy fan and all.....but I've never actually owned a whip, especially a good one. lol. My parents tried buying me one when I was 12 from the local feed store, I took one look at it and told them to take it back because it didn't look at all like Indy's lol. I haven't owned one since then cuz I didn't have much options....(or the money)

But I bought the 10' 8 plait budget whip from purewhips....and I can't wait. lol. I can finally be a decent indy for halloween.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

so indy fan...how goes the whipping?
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i can do a few basic cracks and it works great and gus said its only for basic cracks
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So...I just got my whip from Gus and its awesome. I got myself a 10 footer. What ***** is I only live in an area that is either gravel or sandy....which will get the whip dirty, I'll have to practice in a park I suppose.

Since I've never owned a whip before, I'll have to work at it as apparently I'm horrible at cracking it. lol. I got a few cracks out but managed to hit myself more then crack it. ... :whip:

I can't wait to practice more this weekend. I have a feeling I'm going to get addicted to this sport.