Whip Basics Signature Series

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Whip Basics Signature Series

Post by Whip Basics »

Hi,

in the near future we're going to oepn a shop at the whip basics homepage. It will be called "Whip Basics signature series Whips & Accessories".
As the name says, we'll have some nylon whips, traditional Bull- and Stockwhips, braided whipholders, a handcrafted leatherbag for whips (storage
and carrying), Indy style whips and Florida Cowwhips. It'll take only a few weeks from now on, but here are a few pictures for you.

Seven foot bullwhip, light tanned latigo with a cocobolo hardwood handle, by Victor "Skip" SanSoucie

Traditional 6 foot australian stockwhip. Handle 16 plait "Bird's Eye" braiding, thong 6 foot, by Simon Martin

What do you think...?

Take care,
Robby

http://www.whip-basics.com
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Whip Basics Signature Series

Post by rjallen70 »

Absolutely spectacular my friend....
And certainly some of the very best whips available!
Ron
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Robby, I like them. They are good looking whips. I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

Dan
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

That is a very nice looking stockwhip...can't wait to hear more about this.

Wonderful news.
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Thanks Ron, Dan and Ksteryous.

and yep, there are more news :) I've been asked how all that works. Well... There are lots of Vendors you can buy whips from.
WSP ie. They offer a lot of whips, but mostly you don’t know who made them. I want the highest possible transparency for the whip
basics customers. That means, you’ll order your whip via paypal directly from the maker but from the Whip Basics page.

Among the other whips we offer, we’ll have Indiana Jones whips too. With some little but fine differences…

The Raiders style whip we’ll offer is made entirely from 1st grade kangaroo hide. From the rolled core up to the last overlay - all 1st grade
roo hide from Simon Martin. While the design - the knots, the handle, the braiding and the wrist loop - will be exactly the whip used in 1983, the
inner construction will be different. Instead of a steel spike this one has a high tensile steel bar. The second belly is a 6 plait not a 4 and both bolsters
are also kangaroo hide, not kip. The price for the 10 Footer will be 385.00 British pound & shipping/560.00 US Dollar & shipping.
An 8 Footer will be 330.00 British Pound & shipping/470.00 US Dollar & shipping.

And there’s more… There are some very nice Indy budget whips. They are made a simpler way - 8 plait instead of 12 plait. What would you think
about such a budget whip - 8 plait, too - with the bellies and the overlay made from kangaroo hide? Bolsters cowhide! But everything else… kangaroo.
And just to avoid any misunderstanding here - I’m not talking about cheaper 2nd grade. I’m talking about 1st grade kangaroo hide from Simon
Martin again. The price for that whip will be 210.- Euro/268.00 US Dollar for the 8 footer, and 250.- Euro/319.00 US Dollar for the 10 footer.

All the whips you’ll find in the whip basics shop, the exclusive leather whip bag and the braided whip holders will be among the best quality
money can buy.

Take care,
Robby
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

very nice
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Sounds like a great idea.
I am eager to hear more.
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Robby,

I like that Idea, and I like the style of all 3 of those whips, color and all, That is a good choice of whips to market. If I were to purchase a whip from each of those vendors these would definetly be the 3 that I would pick. Good choice. I look forward to seeing these in the future. What caught my eye was the color for these whips I am a big fan of the Saddle tan/Natural tan colors. I really like Victor SanSoucie style of cowhide bullwhips, his style is unique and would love to own one myself and this one pictured here is an awesome looking whip. Simon Martins Traditional Stockwhip is one that I have been meaning to purchase but have been spending all my money on supplies and I really like how Simon makes his stockwhips with the flat braided keeper, it really sets off the whole whip. Looks good to me. Thanks for the post Robby.

Take care,

Nick
http://www.nickammann.com
rjccj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rjccj »

The nylon stock whip is gorgeous looking. The question it makes me ask is why don't more people make them?

Sorry, have been lurking for a while and this is my first post. But dang, those are some nice looking whips.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Robby, the whips look great, that goes without saying....

...... but i wanted to take a minute to say that those pictures are REALLY incredible!

Good job!
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Hey rjccj and Shagdb - thanks for your comments. I think, we'll have some more surprises for you
when the Whip Basics onlineshop is on air O:)

rjccj - to answer your question... There are some posts saying that nylonwhips have "no soul"; "no character".
But... It's not the material that has the character, the soul. It's the maker who does. When you take the best
steel money can buy and a bad cutler - you'll have a bad knife. No character. No soul. Use a standard steel and
a master cutler, and you'll have a great, wonderful knife.

Same for the whip material. Take the best roohide available on the planet and a whipmaker who didn't got the hands.
You'll get a very poor whip. On the other hand, a master whipmaker and nylon - you'll get a whip, second to none.
I keep saying - if you like to compare nylon and leather whips, then compare at the same level. If you have a masterly
braided leather whip, don't compare it with a cheap nylon one. And don't compare a high end nylon whip with a sloppy,
cheap warehouse whip. You see the point?

Nylon whips are great. If you live in an area with much rain, snow or often muddy ground, a leather whip will not serve
you well. A high end nylon whip needs the same time to break in like a leather whip. And it'll perform as well.

In the end it's a question of philosophy. If you like leather - buy leather whips. If you like nylon... There's no more question
of being better or not. It's a question of your own preferrence. I came to Tony with the idea of a nylon stockwhip. What I had in
the end, was the absolutely first, ever made hybrid from nylon, wood & roohide. Out of that was developed the Whip Basics
signature range nylon stockwhip with glas fibre cane. That's it.

Robby

rjccj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rjccj »

I like your explination of the different materials. Skill is skill. Period. Great paint doesn't make someone Van Gough. And napkins with doodles by Picasso go for a mint.

As for the other stuff, I haven't a clue about soul or no soul. In the market for a whip, but have yet to take the plunge. Found this place while researching. But with all the reading I've been doing lately, I just found it curious that I've only been able to find one place that advertises nylon stockwhips.

That being said, the Martin leather stockwhip is gorgeous. And the nylon one is very cool looking. Can't wait to see what else you get in your shop.
AlexL3000
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by AlexL3000 »

Hi Robby
I was wondering if the whip in the fist picture that you have, the one with the wood handle, is measured with the handle or if its measured by just the braided part?
~Alex
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Hi Alex,

the whip on the first pic is our traditional bullwhip with a cocobolo handle.
It's measured from the beginning of the handle up to the fall hitch - the end
of the braided part; the thong. If you want to have more infos on that one...

The shop will open in about three weeks. In the meantime you can visit
http://www.handmadewhips.com, the site of Victor SanSoucie. He's the creator of that
WBSR bullwhip.

Take care,
Robby
AlexL3000
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by AlexL3000 »

Thanks Robby!! I really like that one!!!:notworthy:
~Alex :whip:
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Ladies and Gentlemen...

The whip basics onlineshop opens monday, april 6th.
So if you like to visit us...

Robby

www.whip-basics.com
AlexL3000
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by AlexL3000 »

YAY!!!! i am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/

~Alex
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Don't forget to take BIG shopping basket with you :P
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Talk about being a kid in a candy store!!!! So much stuff..... So little money.... :lol:

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Whip Basics wrote:The Raiders style whip we’ll offer -- will be exactly the whip used in 1983
:?
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

VP - that was a really short entry...

The homepage opens tomorrow, but let me quote something from "Indy's Corner" before that

1981 saw the coming of Indiana Jones in The Raiders of the Lost Ark, the whole
Indiana Jones character became a cult and as with cults, sub cults became apparent to the hat,
the jacket, the boots and of course - the whip.

The basic pattern was:

8inch steel spike as a handle foundation, dense rolled kip core transition wear leather,
4 plait kangaroo hide belly plait, kip bolster
2nd 4 plait kangaroo hide belly plait, kip bolster
12plait kangaroo hide overlay plait, 6 plait kangaroo hide wrist strap (plaited flat)
heel knot 5x4 turks head 3 times round the foundation, transition knot 5x4 turks head 2 times
round the foundation 6 plait finish at the hitches,
white hide fall & black nylon cracker/popper

Here at Whip Basics the outer appearance of the whip is close to the original, but it’s not SA.
It’s an interpretation of the whip, Harrison Ford used to carry in the Indiana Jones movies.
But the internal construction, whilst created with two bellies and two bolsters, wear leather
etc. in the original Morgan fashion, is done with a modern slant that makes this whip a pattern
in its own right and exclusive to Whip Basics, hence the name...

The Whip Basics Signature Range
“The Professor Henry Jones whip”

You quoted my post from Feb 25, 2009. That was some weeks ago. What we actually offer, you can see
when the hp/onlineshop opened. We were thinking about a total SA version of the Indy whip. But we decided
against this. Why? Because there are exceptional well made absolutely SA whips. For example Bernardo Del
Carpio. His whips are as SA as humanly possible. We'll offer a very, very SA "Budget" whip. 8 plait, but roo!
If you look for the SA whip... Your choice should be Bernardo or DM.

If you don't like our Indy style whips... Perhaps we have something else for you.

Oh, by the way - here are the last samples before the shop opens.
Enjoy!

Take care,
Robby

Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

new page is very very nice!