Simply JPD....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Simply JPD....

Post by ReturningSon »

Yeah...thanks for posting Michaelson. I hope Jimmy is just going through a rut or something. I wish I lived near glenrose Texas...that way I could pay Jimmy a visit!
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Does anyone know of someone living near Glen Rose? Maybe someone could look up an address in the phone book and knock on his door. Long shot last resort.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yes, thank you for reposting that, Michaelson.
:)
I had actually considered doing exactly that (or asking a MOD to do so) many times back when we were still heavily into our "I hope he's okay" phase, but I didn't want to stir up extra concern for Jimmy's well-being (or even panic about the man's situation) by suggesting that history was repeating itself - or that thing's had escalated for Jimmy...
(And, to be honest, I also didn't want to be percieved as someone who was saying "Aha! So, THERE you go, everybody... It's April all over again...")
I realize that I've been one of the very vocal contributors to this thread and sometimes when I re-read older posts of mine they just "read" as very bullyish... to me, at least. I hope I don't come across that way. I've been trying to be very fair and even handed. I think I've (almost) always puncuated my posts with concern about the "unkown" aspect of Jimmy's situation and, when possible, respect for the work he's created in the past.
As before, I'm simply looking forward to being either contacted by Jimmy and reimbursed financially... or simply being reimbursed.
Hope you are well, Jimmy.
:|
(Oh, and on a COMPLETELY different topic: bigrex, I love that new avatar of yours!)
:D
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I would be a very hard position to be in. On the one hand, you don't wish any ill will toward the vendor and you hope that nothing is wrong. On the other hand, you want the item you paid for or at least some communication as to what the trouble is or an estimation of when you'll have your item.

I feel for those dealing with this.
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Jersey, "What a incredible smell you've discovered."

Post by thedurdens »

I think it goes without saying but we all wish Jimmy, those close to him, and his business to be ok. As I have stated before I believe the members of COW to be a great group of people and Jimmy himself to be a great guy with a great talent. In my e-mails to Jimmy, before this whole thing got rolling, I even asked him if he needed help with anything to please ask. The bottom line here, for myself, has just been communication and since there has been none from Jimmy's end it has been comforting at least to communicate with people in the same situation on this end. :)

Thanks again,
Frank
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Mitch LaRue wrote: (Oh, and on a COMPLETELY different topic: bigrex, I love that new avatar of yours!)
Thanks Mitch,

It's a shot between filming of Robin and the 7 Hoods I believe. So, no "Photoshopping" the hat, he really was wearing a tall crowned one. I did do some things to the photo though such as making it a tri-tone color vaguely matching dollar bills, adjusted levels, brightness/contrast, ran various unsharp masks, and a paint daub filter, etc. So, probably more than you wanted to know about it's adjustment.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I've 'known' Jimmy for many MANY years through this hobby, and even had the opportunity to stop by and visit with him several years ago in Ft. Worth when he was working for a hat store in the Stockyards area. VERY nice fellow, Jimmy is.

That's why I say I believe something HAS to be REALLY amiss for this to be going on like it is.

As he said in his post, even though a year old, keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. I have a feeling there's a LOT more going on than we know...needless to say.

Regards! Michaelson
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

bigrex wrote:
Mitch LaRue wrote: (Oh, and on a COMPLETELY different topic: bigrex, I love that new avatar of yours!)
Thanks Mitch,

It's a shot between filming of Robin and the 7 Hoods I believe. So, no "Photoshopping" the hat, he really was wearing a tall crowned one. I did do some things to the photo though such as making it a tri-tone color vaguely matching dollar bills, adjusted levels, brightness/contrast, ran various unsharp masks, and a paint daub filter, etc. So, probably more than you wanted to know about it's adjustment.
Off-topic, but following this interchange... :-$

I think it is not as much that the hat is tall, as it is that he's wearing it pretty high on his head. This is not as obvious from the front because the brim misleads you, but look over his ears. Personally, I do not like hats placed so high.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

well, april 6th will mark a 6 month wait.... :tdown: :tdown: gah.... :x :x
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Any news or updates? Has anyone recieved their hats yet? :?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

No news on my end.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

:x :(
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Nothing new to report.

Thanks,
Frank
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I have a JPD for sale in the Cairo Bazaar if anyone is interested. It is beaver, I know maybe some of you ordered a rabbit, so maybe your not interested in beaver. Nevertheless it is a JPD. :D

IndianaChris
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yes, I saw that there, too...
Unfortunately (for me, anyway) not in my size... but definitely worth mentioning.
Maybe for someone here it's exactly what they're looking for!
Thanks!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Ya I know I got a big head, if it is not your size I guess you could have someone reblock it to your size. Something I did mention in the listing. Anyway I hope you figure out when your getting your JPD hat soon Mitch. I guess something must be eating up Jimmy's time that he can't work on hats as much or even call people back.

Best of luck to all.

IndianaChris
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey there,
Just wanted to *bump* this up in order to keep it current and relevant (especially since there's so much on this matter that still seems unresolved and unfinished)...
To any of you who got an e-mail saying that "there's been a comment posted on this thread" and then rushed over to this page thinking there'd be some report of some new development, I apologize for getting your hopes up.
I suppose it might be mean-spirited to say this (I promise, I didn't start out this way) but if anyone's desperate for a benchmark, I suppose I could mention that this past Monday (day before yesterday) marks 29 weeks since Jimmy sent me a pm saying it would be "3 or 4 weeks" before I'd have my hat.
:-k
See?
That DOES read as being kinda' mean-spirited, doesn't it?
:?
Sorry 'bout that.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch,

Whaddya say we just post pics of our favorite hats on here! Post 'em up, Gents!
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

still no word on my end. I have kinda just resigned myself to never seeing the hat...***** but hey, life goes on.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey everybody,
I came here to post something but first I just want to quickly take a moment and respond to what Tex wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Whaddya say we just post pics of our favorite hats on here! Post 'em up, Gents!
TS, I'm not sure what you mean by this comment...

Are you suggesting we post pictures of hats by hatmakers OTHER than Jimmy?
Not only do I not think that would be fair to Jimmy... but I think it's way, waaay of the original topic.

Or do you mean we simply post more of OUR favorite JPD's here?
To be honest (and I realize this sounds sarcastic), I'm not sure there's too many folks still visiting this thread who actually HAVE - or got - a hat from Jimmy.

Or are you just saying "Can we quit the whining and get back on topic?"
If that's what you're saying, then I guess I can do my best to make this thread a less depressing one... but only after I post the following...

So, on to business:
All along I've made every effort to keep everybody here "in the loop" about my own experience - and frustration - with resolving my situation with Jimmy (an experience, as it turns out, that is familiar to a few of you).
I the interest of continuing to do so I wanted to share with you the message that I've sent Jimmy this morning (through his "Contact" option on his website).

Hello Jimmy,
This is the last chance you get from me.
Here's what you need to know:
- Unfortunately for you, I'm a guy who doesn't let things go
- I'm a guy who has his own accountant
- I'm a guy who has his own lawyer
- I'm even a guy who's father work's with the bank (and as a grown man, I find it very embarrassing to have to say that I intend to involve my father with this sort of thing...) but as I said at the beginning: I'm a guy who doesn't let things go
- This is your last communication from me.
- The next one you get is from one or all of the aforementioned parties.

- I gave you money for a hat.
- You took my money and sent me no hat.
- Many months have passed since you said I'd have my hat.
- I no longer want the hat.

Here's what's going to happen next:
Send me a U.S. Money Order for $125 to
THEN I WROTE
(NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME)
MY NAME AND ADDRESS
IN CAPITAL LETTERS

This is no joke.
I've been understanding with you and concerned for you thus far but now I'm finding out that fellow C.O.W. Members get results from you only once they follow through with these kinds of actions.
Therefore, you are now only making me feel angrier and more embarrassed...

Send me the Money Order immediately, Jimmy.
But send me an e-mail first telling me that you're going to do so.
My e-mails:
then I gave him not one...
... but two e-mail to reach me at either work or home.

It breaks my heart to have written that to him (and maybe moreso because they're not empty promises... I mean every word)... but I just don't see any other way.

ReturningSon, you're right, of course in that there's alot to be gained from letting some things go. I DO agree with that... maybe I'll be a better person one day and be able to do that (even if only for myself)...

But I still refuse to feel like I'm the "bad guy" here... I find that we all sometimes hold back from getting loud or more indignant about when something is due to us out of fear that there will be some explanation that will make us feel like greedy, materialistic creeps.

I've said it before (many times) and I'll say it again:
If something bad is going on in Jimmy's life that's making all this complicated for him, then I AM SORRY. I've said again and again that I hoped that wasn't the case but now it looks like it is. If he has no time to make me (or any of us) a hat... then fine... I'm no longer asking for a hat, just my money back.

But here's where it gets messier:
Maybe Jimmy has spent the money/or can't repay it/or needs the money for whatever is going on in his life.
Again, if THAT's the case, then I AM sorry... But NOW am I a bad guy? I don't know what's going on with him or when I can expect to have this resolved because there's NO COMMUNICATION FROM HIM.

And for that matter, Jimmy doesn't know if I (or ANY of us) maybe lost their job, or has sick family, or debt, or whatever...
He doesn't know whether I (or any of us) NEEDS that money back for our own crisis... Why? Because there's NO COMMUNICATION FROM HIM.

(After all, shouldn't the level of tolerance Jimmy expects from us go both ways?)
Every couple of weeks, somebody here at C.O.W. is putting up for sale some beloved piece of Indy Gear because they may have lost their job... that sort of thing can come out of nowhere nowadays.

If things were different, if business were good for Jimmy and you ordered a hat and paid for it and he sent it to you and then you lost your job and had bills and decided to send your finished, custom-made hat back to him with a little note that said "Please give me back my money... I need it", would you REALLY expect him to do that?
Or is it more likely that he (and we) would all agree that "Hey, that IS rough... but that's business, you know..."
Instead, you'd be told that you should now sell your hat at the Cairo Bazaar, or whatever... but it wouldn't be Jimmy's problem (I'm sure he'd feel sorry for you and wish you all the best of luck)... but it wouldn't be Jimmy's problem...
It would be YOUR situation to resolve.

But, Jimmy has NO IDEA what MY situation is because there's NO COMMUNICATION FROM HIM.

If you read all the way through this monster of a rant...then I sincerely thank you.
I hope you all have a great weekend.
F
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I read all the way through. I don't think you're bad for expecting what you are. I know how it is waiting for a vendor to come through on their word, when you know it's in their power to follow up in said timeframe.

Also, it doesn't sound mean or childish. You're just doing what it may take to get some response from Jimmy. Sorry you had to do it, and I know how it'd be if it were me. :cry:

Randy
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Yeah, I completely agree. Unless the man’s completely incapacitated, there’s really no excuse for not answering inquiries from customers who’ve paid him up front, or those whose property he has in his possession for reblocks. Based on the information posted on his website, it appears he's able to work and communicate so I can only presume he chooses not to do so…for whatever reason.

Personally Mitch, I don’t think your "rant" is mean-spirited, and I don't think you have anything to apologize for; Mr. Pierce on the other hand…

Scott
Last edited by Scott63 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks Randy and Scott, I appreciate that.
I want you to know that I'm not THIS cranky about it 24/7... (not normally, anyway...)
;)
You know how it is... you go on with living you're life and think "Well, the next move is Jimmy's... surely, this time he'll respond" (or "this week something will happen")...
Then that week comes and goes and I sit down to take a look at what's going on at C.O.W. and then remember everything and think "Are you kidding me? STILL nothing?!"

Then I start writing, and before you know it, it's YOU GUYS (the ones I don't want to tick off) who suffer...
:P
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

With regard to you guys who have given the money in good faith, expecting that a vendow would follow through, as most all others have, I really hate what has happened to you. It makes me wonder how I got mine? I really thought we could do some good work in this thread, good PR for Jimmy, and good for you, ie happy customers, who would have received (hopefully) a quality, well made hat. I think that you guys have been MORE than patient and understanding under the circumstances, and I do not like to see others patronized.

I was just trying to see what we could do to make this positive process going forward..concerning the photos.

I hate to say this, but in the past, when I have not received satisfactory service, I have contacted the Sheriff's office or police office, so they could pay the potential vendor a visit, and find out what is going on, and rectify the situation.

Somerville Co. Sheriff's office
www.glenrose.org
750 Gibbs Blvd, Glen Rose, TX - (254) 897-2242
Having visited there before, Glenrose is a small cummunity, with some tourism, looks like a nice rural community in which to live.

Guys, you are fans and members, and there is a common 'thread' that most all of us share. You deserve better than this!

Do what you have to do and need to do, and don't look back with any regrets. At the very least, you deserve your money back.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

If you paid via check or credit card, just file a dispute with your bank. It takes 10 minutes on the phone. They'll give you a provisional credit, then Jimmy has 50 days to respond. My 50 day period is up: no response from Jimmy, despite my sending his crappy hat back.

If you paid in cash or money order, call the law.

RZ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...a sad ending to a whole lot of potential. I just don't understand him.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

A sad day indeed. Thanks administrators for making a tough but regretably necessary call on those vendors.

You're in my prayers, Jimmy. [-o<

RZ
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:(
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

This is sad, but hopefully something good will come eventually. On a side note I was able to leave Jimmy's machine a message Tuesday evening.

Thanks to all,
Frank
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You could? Apparently it's been cleared of old messages then, so someone's around. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Let a message asking if all was well, if any help was needed, and appraising him of the situation. Have not tried since then (Tuesday night), but was first time in a long time that I was able to leave a message at all.
Again, hopefully something good follows.

Frank
Last edited by thedurdens on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Just a head's up, since this thread seems to be winding down at this point, we will likely be shutting this thread down in a few days. If you are one of the unfortunate members waiting to resolve your issues in this case, you can glean suggestions from this thread or PM each other offline once we bring this to a close.

Regards,

bink
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks bink (and all the MODS) for leaving the door open on this one for as long as you did... I don't think any of us expected this to drag on as long as it did, but it was nice being able to at least come here, compare notes and make suggestions to each other while it was going on.
I'm just sorry it all didn't have a "happier" ending... that is, of course, outside of the fact that all signs seem to point to Jimmy being okay.
Thanks again, folks...
Good luck (and "buyer beware") to us all.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Happy hunting, guys! There are many good choices out there, thanks to certain hobbiest fans stepping up, being proactive, taking a leadership role in offering quality, hand-made hats to members and other customers alike. As a result, we get a better quality fedora.

Regardless of the profession, all you have is your business reputation. In this hobby, the hat that was just made, and ready to be sent out the door.