Treating, preserving, and softening up a Goatskin jacket:

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Treating, preserving, and softening up a Goatskin jacket:

Post by Captain D »

This may have been addressed before, and I apologize if it has....but what is the correct Pecards product that I should use on a Goatskin jacket to treat and preserve the leather....AND.....to soften it up?

Thank you!
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Pecards Leather Creme. (it's really a jell, but oh well. :roll: ) Regards. Michaelson
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

One coat of the creame(jell), let it sit overnight. Wipe off residue the next day. Wait another 4-5 months and then another application if you want it softer. Junior and I have both done this and it has really softened up our FS Expos. Kevin at Pecards' said after these two application that should be it. The standard dressing would be enought after that if the need arose. Very light coating. Use your hand to apply with either dressing.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My dark brown chrome tanned FS was the test case when the 'creme' was introduced by Pecards. I only applied the one coat, and have since only touched up with the standard motorcyle leather lotion. Yes, I know, it's water soluable, but it soaks in just fine and doesn't add additional weight to the leather like applying standard dressing in your future 'touch up' work. Just a tip for you after the initial creme application and future treatments. Regards. Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you fellas! :D

So, just 1 or 2 light coats of this "Pecards Leather Cream" and it will protect, yet, soften up the leather? I'll run over to the Pecards wibe site now, and check out their prices....

p.s- what is the difference between this cream and the motorcylce leather lotion that I hear about?

Thank you again my friends!
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The so called 'creme' (it's actually a thin jell) is the standard dressing withOUT the beeswax, which makes the standard dressing thicker and stiffer. The Leather lotion reminds you of just that, lotion, and is water soluable. It's perfect (and highly recommended) for application on lambskin or the lambtouch cowhide. I use it as a between season application on my goatskin after I did the creme application. Regards. Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey there Michaelson!

Thanks for all of the info! :D

I just visited the Pecards website, and I just want to double check that I am ordering the correct stuff....is it the: "Pecards Jell Dressing" / "Pecards Leather Jell" that costs $8.00 for an 8 oz. can?

By the Way, would this stuff be good for the New Finish Cowhide too since it absorbs better and is technically the same anyway?

Thank you again my friend!
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That sounds like it. They must have FINALLY correctly titled the product, as I have been after Eric since it's inception to call it 'Leather Jell'! It has been marketed for a while as 'Leather Creme'. Make sure there's no product listed as such. You can also confirm by writing to Eric at Pecards (he's leather_loco here at the forum) and make sure. Well...Hurrah for them! I've used the product on everything BUT the lambskin or lambtouch successfully, but it really is to help stiff leather relax, so if you don't already have some, get some of the standard dressing for your cowhide. Regards. Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

hey there Michealson!

I've searched their website for the "Creme" and couldn't find any. So, perhaps this is the stuff, lol. Take care and thank you once again (and everyone else who wrote me here) for all of your helpful info! :D

High Regards,
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They they've updated and corrected the description, and you've found your product. Let us know how you did. Regards. Michaelson