My first Wested Raiders (better pics in top post)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My first Wested Raiders (better pics in top post)

Post by hankey01 »

Thanks to a tax return I could finally treat myself. I ordered a Wested Raiders Size 42. I was pretty nervous about the size since I usually wear loose fitting clothing, but measured my chest at a tight 40 and found a thread with the same size where a 42 was recommended.

It arrived yesterday and I really like it (darn duty and tax came to another $66). It does seem a bit tight going on and in the shoulders. I am hoping for some stretch there, but considering it is meant to not be fully zipped it fits pretty good. I think I am just used to some more space.

Anyways..here are a few pics. My wife syas I look like a psycho in the pics and that hats don't suit me. :oops:
Last edited by hankey01 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: My first Wested Raiders

Post by Raider S »

Looks like it fits great but did you order special pockets? Those are the tallest pockets I've ever seen and I thought I'd seen some tall ones on the LC I have.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

No..just off the shelf Raiders... hmm..
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Hey, that looks nice, especially for a new jacket. I guess you do look a bit like a deer caught in the headlights, not psycho though, lol.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks great. congrats

how does it look/feel zipped up?
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Thanks guys. Yes....I am not much of a photo poser.

Looks good zipped up..but a little snug in the shoulders. I should have got a couple pics like that.

A few good walks this spring summer will help loosen it I hope!
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

The shoulder seam lines up nicely on your shoulder.

SD
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Looks good on you. :tup: And glad to hear another satisfied Wested customer. I'm also a tight 40 chest (little over 40 actually) but I'm getting a 44. I've been working out and figured the 44 won't be too big on me; I also wear a 43L suit jacket.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

I am kind of wishing I went with a 44..but I'll just have to go easy on the shoulder exercises. I should be safe! :H:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Don't keep a jacket you don't like the fit of. Exchange it for the 44 and it will be something you'll get more use out of in the long run.

Jackets that don't feel right tend to sit in the closet instead of being worn. Plus there's a good chance you might get a little bigger over the years than smaller.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

lets see the back and the back pleats : )
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

IMO....

If it feels tight it probably is. It looks good, but you are the one wearing it.

Put on a thick sweat shirt or sweater, inevitably in the winter or autumn you will at some point want to layer. Then try on the jacket, is it still comfortable? Does the jacket 'pinch' under the armpits? This is the only 'problem' I've had with any of my jackets, if it pinches under the armpits it will eventually be very uncomfortable. I've thought I'd had something wrong with my chest from a pinching jacket causing a weird ache under the arms!

So what to do if it is too tight?

Again IMO and being completely practical. You'll be in for shipping both ways. And possibly tax again when the new one is delivered. Not much you can do about that.

You can avoid one set of shipping by selling that one and getting a bigger one. But you might not recoup your original purchase price.

At the end of the day, it's your call... is it really too tight? I like a jacket to be snug but not wetsuit tight!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

You are the only one who can judge the feel of the fit. The photos it looks not too bad.
I have to agree with the others though, if it feels tight it probably is, and I wouldn't count on it stretching too much.
A size 42 jacket should fit a 40" chest fine though, maybe you are just over average broad in the shoulders?
What does it measure under the arms on the flat across the front?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

there is something about you that reminds me of Chris reeves ( superman)
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Indiana Holt wrote:there is something about you that reminds me of Chris reeves ( superman)
Yeah Holt, I see it too.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

IMO the jacket looks really good on you and looks like a prefect fit.

if your chest is a 40 and you got yourself a 42 that will leave you 8'' of chest room. cuz each reg size has 4'' of chest room in the jakcet.

I cant really tell if the jacket is to small/big on you without a picture of it zipped up.

but I think you have a very WoS fit going on there.

nice :tup:
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Here is a pic of the back..and under the arms where it DOES bunch up (zipped at front). Across the front of the jacket from armpit to armpit measures 24".

I don't think my shoulders are very far apart. Just measured my chest again and its a tight 40...until I inhale deep, then its a 42. Did I just make a really stupid mistake?

So Wested is good about exchanges? I wonder if there is a way it can be sent as a guft so I don't have to pay duty and taxes again?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indiana Holt wrote:there is something about you that reminds me of Chris reeves ( superman)
Heh... I was JUST thinking that actually Holt.
You can definitely see it in the whole "eyes/nose/lips" area... and bearing any sort of resemblence to the late, great Mr, Reeve is, in my opinion, a good thing.
:)

Anyway, here's my 2 cents... just to ADD to the confusion:
I'll be honest... I'm no expert, but when I first saw those photos (above) I thought "Hmmm...looks a bit BIG on him if you ask me... But then again, maybe it's fine" (I mean hey, they're YOUR shoulders, after all.)
I'm just not so sure I'd be ordering a bigger jacket... I think if it was me I'd be more content to left the thing break in a bit and let it stretch a little where needed and mold itself to your shape simply through regular wear.
Just like a good fedora, I'm finding that MY Wested is turning into a better and better fit simply from wearing it on a regular basis and NOT babying it.
Again, just my opinion... there's others in this forum who have waaay more experience and knowledge in the "way of the leather" than I do, THAT'S for sure.
;)
Moral of the story:
I think you're fine with THAT jacket.
:D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks good man.

Id say keep it...

but if you are uncomfy in the jacket then send it away.

wested will take it back if you send it in the next upcomming days.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Hahah I just noticed the Christopher Reeves off topic. I thought I had outgrown that look but yes I have been compared in the past (in my younger thinner days it was closer I am sure).

I'm a little torn. Easy answer is get used to it and break it in...but as mentioned..anything that detracts from my enjoyment may lead to less useage. These pics were taken with a thing long sleeved shirt so a thick sweater would really be tougher.

Here are a couple more pics from the front.

The bunching under the arms it kind of uncomfortable. I wonder if it just needs more across the back...which also may settle..
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Maybe it's not the chest and shoulders at all, but the upper sleeves and or arm hole too small?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

It's the too small arm hole. The jackets are made too tight there, so anyone with developed upper arms will feel very constricted there. It's the part right where the arm meets the chest. This is the reason I won't wear the Wested Raiders pattern - it makes you want to put your arms straight out and look like Frankenstein.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I think the jacket looks good on you, but my initial gut reaction is, if it's uncomfortable anywhere, then you won't be happy with it. I had a G1 that I got for a song that was just too small in the bicep area. I kept thinking that it might stretch out and I hated to have to get another one since I got such a good deal on it. It quickly became a chore to wear it, wearing it because I was making myself not because I enjoyed it. I got rid of it and got a bigger size with which I'm much happier.

If it is uncomfortable, then I would exchange it or sell it. You could figure out how much shipping/taxes you would have to pay and contrast that with what you think you could get for it on the Bazaar, say, and make your decision that way. You may be one of those folks that need to go the custom route.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My first Wested Raiders (better pics in top post)

Post by hankey01 »

Well...I think I'll just try it for a few walks and see how it feels. I do prefer the easy solution..and cheaper by keeping it!! Might just have to get used to it..but it does seem like it could be the smaller arm holes.

I replaced a couple of the top pictures with ones that look a little more like me and a little less creepy. :clap:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Well Hankey the jacket looks pretty good to me. Fairly dark too. I have the smaller (higher) arm holes in mine as well. It is actually as it should be. Most suits & dress shirts of the period that this jacket has high arm holes that fit right under the arm pits. that way the suit & shirt moved with you and not away from you. Now that I have gotten used to this it feels comfortable & I look for that quality in any suit coats & shirts that I purchase now. If you were to get Marc's Adventurebilt Indy shirt you'll notice the same thing, fitted. The leather will stretch & if you wear it in the rain once then keep wearing it all that day it will stretch a bit too. Just don't forget to give it a treatment of Pecards once it dries out. ;) Hope this helps you out.

Cheers!

Dan
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Indiana Holt wrote:IMO the jacket looks really good on you and looks like a prefect fit.

if your chest is a 40 and you got yourself a 42 that will leave you 8'' of chest room. cuz each reg size has 4'' of chest room in the jakcet.

I cant really tell if the jacket is to small/big on you without a picture of it zipped up.
Actually, he will have 6 inches of room in the chest, NOT 8 inches. Each jacket size (38, 40, 42,
44, 46, ext) is TWO inches bigger than the size below it, NOT 4 inches bigger.

A size 40 will have a total chest measurement of 44 inches (40 + 4), a size 42 will have a total
chest measurement of 46 inches (42 + 4), a size 44 will be 48 inches (44 + 4), ext.

So, if his actual chest measures 40 inches, then the size 42 jacket will leave him with 6 inches
of room (46 - 40 = 6).

However, where most of you are having problems with the jackets beeing too snug, is that you
are holding the tape measure too tight around your chest!

Both hankey01 and JC1972 have both mentioned that their chest measured 40 inches TIGHT
in their posts.

You are NOT supposed to do it this way! By keeping the tape measure tight, you are easily
shorting the measurement by as much as 2 inches or more!

You are supposed to hold the tape LOOSE, but too loose as to let it fall down, and measure
around your chest at its fullest part, which will include your shoulder blades in order to get a proper
measurement. Also, you should expand your chest as much as you can to get the fullest
measurement.

I am a size 44. My chest measures exactly 44 inches. But, I can easily make the tape
measure read 41 inches if I hold it tightly. That would make you think that a size 42
Wested would be good for me. But, it would be WAY too snug, as my normal size is 44.

See where this is going?

JC1972, if you wear a size 43L sport coat, then your chest should NOT measure 40 inches.
It should measure around 42/43 inches. You fit a size 43L for a reason. If your chest
measured 40 inches normally, then your size 43L jacket would be really loose and baggy on
you. But your getting the 40 inch measurement because you are holding the tape too tight.

To prove this to yourself, go back to where you bought the sport coat, and try putting on
a size 40L and see how it fits. I bet you could barely button it up because you are not actually
a size 40.

Once you start to get proper measurements, you will realize that you are ordering jackets
that are too small, and thats why we keep hearing posts about jackets being too tight
or too snug.

Also, I would send that jacket back before you start wearing it outside and what-not.

If its too snug right out of the box, then its going to be too snug forever, unless you
loose weight. Which we all know does not usually happen as we age.

Leather does NOT stretch like cotton or other twill fabrics. As such, its not going to "give"
as much as a cotton jacket as you move around, which lends to the feeling of it being tight across
the shoulders and arms.

Re-measure your chest, holding the tape loosely, and let us know what measurement you
get then. Remember, ALL the jackets measurements will get bigger proportionally as you go up in size. This
includes the arm holes, the shoulder measurement, the waist measurement, ext. So going up
a size will also help give your upper arms more room, and fit better.

As much as people can say the jacket looks good on you, its YOU who has to be comfortable
WEARING it, and as such, if you don't like how it fits now, you will not wear it.

Send this one back as soon as possible and exchange it before you have to keep it, and sell
it at a loss, and then put out even more money for another bigger sized one.

Flathead
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah I know...I mixed it up...

to hank. the jacket looks really good when zipped.

Id say keep it. but you are the one who has to live with it so if its uncomfy send it back.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

His problem is not the size of the jacket! It's the Wested arm holes that are cut tight and are pinching him at the shoulder where his arm meets the body of the jacket. From the photo it also appears the area of the shoulder seem might be too short for him as well.

This jacket will never be comfortable on him and it's not because he got the wrong size.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Raider S wrote:His problem is not the size of the jacket! It's the Wested arm holes that are cut tight and are pinching him at the shoulder where his arm meets the body of the jacket. From the photo it also appears the area of the shoulder seem might be too short for him as well.

This jacket will never be comfortable on him and it's not because he got the wrong size.
I tend to differ with you.

As I see the pictures, especially the ones with the jacket zipped up, the jacket appears to be pulling
on his chest a little, and not letting the storm flap sit flat on his chest.

This tells me that the jacket is at least one size too small.

As the jacket sizes increase, so do the measurements such as the armhole diameter, the width
between the shoulder seams, ext...

A larger size jacket will fit better all around, as he said he took his chest measurement with
the tape "tight", which is NOT the proper way to get measurements.

Flathead
Last edited by FLATHEAD on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

There did seem to be loose sides around the chest...very well could be the arms. I emailed these pics to wested for their opinion..and to see if an exchange can be done without me having to pay all the tax and duty again.

I don't suppose anyone has a Wested 44 in Calgary..can I try it on to compare??

I am leaning towards keeping it. It does fit nice when my arms are straight down..I just won't cross them. I'd like to think I'm on the road to being thinner not larger..and staying in my wested will help motivate.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

OK just measured again..loosely over a thin shirt. 42"
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

hankey01 wrote: I am leaning towards keeping it. It does fit nice when my arms are straight down..I just won't cross them. I'd like to think I'm on the road to being thinner not larger..and staying in my wested will help motivate.
OK just measured again..loosely over a thin shirt. 42"

Since these jackets are a military, snug fit to begin with, if your not used to
it, its going to be uncomfortable to you. Especially if your used to more modern
fitting jackets. And you can't go thru life with your arms down at your side. You
need to be able to move in it.

You need to be able to lift your arms to drive the car right? How do you plan to
do this with any degree of comfort with this jacket?

If you wear anything but just a plain shirt under the jacket, its going to be even
tighter on you, and more uncomfortable.

That will limit the amount of time you can actually wear the jacket.

It does not fit you correctly. Send it back for one that does so you
can enjoy it.

You can try to talk yourself into keeping it, but if it does not fit now, its
just going to get worse as time goes by.

Why be unhappy with it, when its still brand new, and you can send it back
for and exchange for one that fits you the way it should?

Flathead
Last edited by FLATHEAD on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

The cost is a factor, obviously.
Sending it there and back again will cost a good portion of what the jacket itself cost.
Be very sure before you post; your 'cheap' Wested jacket may end up costing you far more
than you intended. If you can lose weight and live with it, do it! :)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Once again, it's the arms. He even says it fits well when he's hanging his arms down. When he brings them up he feels the tightness. That's because of the diamater of the sleeve where it meets the body.

If this is an OTR, and an imported one especially, I'm familiar with what he's describing.

Military fit may be a less-roomy fit but it doesn't mean constriction at the armholes. He even re-measured himself.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Raider S wrote:Once again, it's the arms. He even says it fits well when he's hanging his arms down. When he brings them up he feels the tightness. That's because of the diamater of the sleeve where it meets the body.

If this is an OTR, and an imported one especially, I'm familiar with what he's describing.

Military fit may be a less-roomy fit but it doesn't mean constriction at the armholes. He even re-measured himself.
RS, it depends, the Rola are tighter fit under the arm but the Raiders shouldn't be.

Which did you have 'Rola' or 'Raiders'.

I think hankey would be drowned in a bigger jacket. He looks to have plenty of room already.

Hankey, does that jacket have facings on the zipper or not?
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Raider S wrote:Once again, it's the arms. He even says it fits well when he's hanging his arms down. When he brings them up he feels the tightness. That's because of the diamater of the sleeve where it meets the body.

Part of that "tightness" is the back yoke seam running across the back of the jacket being too tight
on him.

If the jacket fits just-right with his arms at his side, then its going to pull across the back,
and make the area around the arms get tighter as the jacket pulls.

Going up just one size will give him an extra inch across the back at the yoke seam.

This might not sound like alot, but it will make a HUGE difference in the way the
jacket fits, and will allow him to move in it.

Also, that extra inch translates into two extra inches of movement room total
around the entire body of the jacket, which will also make it pull less at the arms.

Flathead
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

It's the "Raiders of the Lost Ark Jacket"

http://www.indyjacket.co.uk/frjacket.html
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

hankey01 wrote:It's the "Raiders of the Lost Ark Jacket"

http://www.indyjacket.co.uk/frjacket.html
Couple of questions:

Does it have 1" leather strips inside the jacket along the zipper?

Did you buy an off-the-rack or a custom?
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Not sure about the strips (I am at work..it is at home). It is OTR.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Flathead you can argue all day long with me
if you'd like but if he goes bigger he'll be
swimming in the next size. The jacket he
has looks great on him (even the length)
but I don't believe size is the issue.

As far as military fit, the standard Raiders
is not military fit and many people have
commented on that. If it were the ROTLA
then it may be, but the regulars are more
of a normal fit.

I know what he's talking about here as I had the
same thing. The jacket feels fine all over (he even
says there's extra material in the chest) but he feels
constricted in the arm. Either that one jacket was
cut different/incorrectly or he needs a different style.

Maybe by hitting the return you'll listen to what I
have to say as I had the exact problem he
describes with an excellent fitting jacket with
constricted arms.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

...Yet my OTR ROLA (slimmer 80's fit apparently) 42R was a baggy, shapeless monstrosity. Not tight or slim fitting ANYWHERE.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Raider S wrote:Flathead you can argue all day long with me
if you'd like but if he goes bigger he'll be
swimming in the next size. The jacket he
has looks great on him (even the length)
but I don't believe size is the issue.

As far as military fit, the standard Raiders
is not military fit and many people have
commented on that. If it were the ROTLA
then it may be, but the regulars are more
of a normal fit.

I know what he's talking about here as I had the
same thing. The jacket feels fine all over (he even
says there's extra material in the chest) but he feels
constricted in the arm. Either that one jacket was
cut different/incorrectly or he needs a different style.

Maybe by hitting the return you'll listen to what I
have to say as I had the exact problem he
describes with an excellent fitting jacket with
constricted arms.
Actually the Raiders is supposed to be the true military fit.

By definition, a military fit is 4 inches over tagged size, which the
Raiders is. The ROTL is supposed to be slightly more snug fit than
that, by offering about 2/3 inches over tagged size.

A more traditional, normal fit is what Gibson and Barnes
offers on their Expedition jacket, which is about 5/6 inches
over tagged size. Which is why alot of people here will
go up one size on their Wested Raiders jacket order.

I have been looking at his pictures more, and if you look
at the pictures of him wearing the jacket, taken from the back,
if you look at the upper part of his arms, there is still room
there, and they do not appear to be tight with his arms at
his side. Which is what he says.

Its only when he lifts his arms that they become tight and restrictive.

Also, he has fairly broad shoulders, as can be seen by the shoulder
seams squaring up at, or just behind his natural shoulder line.

This, and perhaps his upper arms are bigger around than most people
his size, suggests a larger jacket will fit him better.

Yes, it will have more room in the chest and torso area, but so what?

There are people on here that have posted pictures of themselves, and
they are not the most svelt individuals out there, and they have had to go
up a size or two just to get a jacket that will fit them around the middle.

And this make the jackets hang down off their shoulders, and their arm
holes are now too big, and the body of the jacket is too long, but again,
so what?

They now have a jacket that fits them, and they can wear without being
uncomfortable.

I stand by my opinion that just going up one size will make the jacket fit
better around his upper body, and that will make the jacket much more
"wearable" in real life situations, versus keeping his arms at his sides forever.

A jacket that is slightly too big can be worn anytime, with any amount of
layering you want.

A jacket fits "just right", or is slightly too tight/snug, will sit in the closet
forever, never to be worn.

Flathead
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I can see you won't even entertain any thoughts that the jacket might be cut too tight where the sleeve joins and the only thing you can offer is to get a bigger size.

If you do in fact decide to return the jacket you should first see how that armhole connection compares to other similar jackets you have. When wearing it, can you get a finger in there where your arms go into the jacket? Can you put a couple fingers under your armpit with ease? If not, that's where your problem lies.

On another jacket I'd think about going with a gusset to give some extra movement there, too.

Not all the jackets fit like this. I know because I had the same thing going on and even posted about it months ago.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Raider S wrote:I can see you won't even entertain any thoughts that the jacket might be cut too tight where the sleeve joins and the only thing you can offer is to get a bigger size.
Actually, I agree with this 100 percent.

The pockets on his jacket are WAY bigger than any jacket I have seen.

Also, he stated that his jacket measures 24 inches from armpit to armpit across
the chest with the jacket zipped up. That suggests a size 44 jacket.

It would almost appear that he has a size 44 regular Raiders jacket, with size 50 pockets,
and size 40 sleeves sewn on it.

Try this when you get home hankey01:

Zip the jacket up, and lay it flat on your bed. Flatten out the sleeves, so you can see
the sleeve seam from where it meets the shoulder seam, and also where it meets the
seam on the side of the body.

Now, take a measurement from the arm/shoulder seam to the arm/body seam, keeping
the tape measure straight.

Let us know what this is. I will do the same for my size 44 Regular Raiders Wested, and
we can compare them.

If others will do the same for their jackets, we can see just how the arm holes compare
between sizes for you.

Flathead
Last edited by FLATHEAD on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

So how would I go about exchanging it? I really would like to try a larger one...seems kind of tough to even put it on with the arm holes maybe too close together?

I wonder if I could order another and then return the original? Again I would not want to pay duty and taxes a second time.

Arms gussets may be nice..but if a larger has slightly larger arm holes I may be ok.

I appreciate all the opinions and help here!!

Flathead...I will do some measuring tonight when I get home!!! Too bad you weren't closer so I could just try yours on!!
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

On another jacket I'd think about going with a gusset to give some extra movement there, too.
The only problem with this is, the gussets will allow more room at just your armpit area, and
NOT the bicep/tricep area.

If the sleeves are too tight around the bicep/tricep area, gussets will do nothing to alieviate that.

There are people, like _ for example, that can NOT fit into an OTR jacket. Have you ever
seen this mans arms!!

He would pull an Incredible Hulk on an OTR jacket if he put his arms out in front of himself
and flexed!!

Perhaps a custom jacket is in order. It does not cost anymore to have a few custom things
done, and at most, it would cost about 20 or 30 dollars more for several items to be custom
fit to you.

Flathead
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Hankey01:

I just measured my size 44 Wested Raiders jacket between the arm/shoulder
and the arm/body and both sides measure 11.5 inches in a straight line.

This means that the arm holes on my size 44 are at least 23 inches in diameter
when you take into consideration the actual armhole is not straight, but it has
a slight curve.

My bicep/tricep area measures 15.5 inches in diameter on my right arm, and 15
inches even on my left . So you can see that my size 44 has between 7 and 8 inches
of room for my arms.

I also measured several of my modern cut jackets (LL Bean, Lands End ext)
and they all measured about 13 inches at this same spot, which gives them
the more modern cut, and thus a more roomy fit around the arms.

I hope this helps you.

Flathead
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Thanks Flathead. Could you please do me a favor and measure the pocket and from one armpit to the other when layed out flat (my measurement was 24").

If my pockets are indeed too small if I send it back and point this out, maybe I wont be on the hook for shipping a second time..even if I go to a 44.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Did you find out the thing about the zipper facings?
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

No still at work. :(

Didn't want to look dumb but..what exactly are zipper facings?