New! DCW Whip Case

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bernardodc
Vendor

New! DCW Whip Case

Post by Bernardodc »

Hi All,

It is my pleasure to introduce the new Del Carpio Whips Whip Case to the IndyGear fans. Since most of my customers are from this community, I decided to present it here before I put it on my website.

I have been working on this project for a while, and it actually started last summer when I was visiting the States. I had the opportunity to check all the whip bags available in the market, plus a few other bags that were not specifically designed for carrying whips, but served their purpose reasonably well. I wasn't 100% happy with any of them, some were either too small to carry more than 3 or 4 whips, or lacked padding for protecting the whips inside, the accessories pocket was too small, or they didn't have a shoulder strap, etc.

So I decided to come up with my own design of the ideal whip bag. I incorporated all the features I liked in the different bags, while adding the ones that were missing. I asked and received input from many whipcrackers, as to what features they would like in a whip bag, etc.

I liked the way soft gun cases were designed to carry and protect guns, so I based my design on those too, hence the name case, instead of bag.

The basic design parameters for the DCW Whip Case were:

-It had to be big enough to comfortably carry MANY whips. It was designed to carry both bullwhips and stockwhips.

-It had to be padded, to increase the protection of the whips inside.

-It had to have a big pocket for carrying accessories

-It had to be made out of quality materials.

-It had to be affordable.

Well, the DCW Whip Case is finally ready, and I think it meets all of the above design parameters.

It features:

-Generous dimensions: 30" x 20"

-High quality exterior fabric

-Wrap around handles for extra strength

-Thick foam padding to protect the whips

-Soft lining

-Full-length heavy-duty coil zipper with lockable tabs

-Comfortable carrying handles

-Removable shoulder strap

-External accessory pocket (9"x7"), big enough to carry leather dressing, falls, poppers, small tools like fids, scissors, and even a notebook.

-Velcro straps on the inside to safely secure the whips.

Here are a few pics of it.

The front:

Detail of handles and zipper:

Detail of the accessories pocket:

Detail of the removable shoulder strap:

The inside:

As you can see in the pictures, this ain't a small bag, but I have carried it around comfortably on my shoulder with no problems. For the photo, I was able to easily fit 3 stockwhips and 4 bullwhips, but it will hold a few more whips, if needed. It is long and wide enough for any kind of stockwhips, or long handled bullwhips like Terry Jacka's massive Indy 4 bulls, as shown in the pic.

Now let's get specific about the last requirement: affordability. In this tough economic times, we are looking for value and good quality, and this whip case provides both. The special introductory price for the DCW Whip Case exclusively for COW members is: US $ 48.00 plus shipping.

To place your orders, or for more info, please email me at: info@delcarpiowhips.com

I look forward to hearing your comments :)

Regards,

Bernardo

http://www.delcarpiowhips.com
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: New! DCW Whip Case

Post by FloatinJoe »

Bernardo, I really like this bag and will probably be ordering one sometime soon. I have a couple of questions for you:

How thick is the bag?

What is the hardware made of (zippers, strap clips)?

Are there any internal compartments in the pocket?

Any chance you can post a picture of the bag open with no whips in it? I'd like to see how the velcro is laid out. Also, is the velcro only on one side of the case (whips only on one side) or is it on both sides to open like a book with whips on both sides?

Thanks for the effort on this. I really like it.

Mike
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Nice bag!
Now...tell us about all those beautiful whips that are in it!
Ron
Bernardodc
Vendor

!

Post by Bernardodc »

Thanks Mike and Ron, I am glad you liked it.

I measured the thickness, and it's approx. 1.5". For the hardware, I specified the best quality they could find. The zipper is made of a heavy duty plastic, and the tabs are brass. The strap clips are brass too, and they are strong enough to hold the weight of many whips without bending or breaking.

There are no compartments inside the pocket.

There are four velcro straps, only on one side. I will change a bit the laid out on the next bags. Although it won't be much of a problem to add a second set of straps on the other side, I think it is not really necessary. It is very easy to just lay and arrange your whips on one half, fasten the straps, close the case and you're good to go. Still, for those who prefer straps on both sides, it can be done for little extra. The client is always right! :)

The whips shown inside the bag are:

-A matched pair of kangaroo stockwhips from Russell Schultz.
-A cowhide stockwhip from Peter Jack in NZ.
-A 10 foot Morgan bullwhip.
-A 8 ft Terry Jacka bullwhip, Indy 4 style.
-2 wood handle cowhide bullwhips by Adam Winrich.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Bernardo
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

My thought on having the velcro on both sides would allow you to lay out four whips, two on each side and have easy access to them. This way you wouldn't have to remove whips you weren't going to use in order to get to the whip you want.

Mike
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Very nicec Bernardo! I really should get myself a proper whip case; the dufel bag just isn't doing it for me and the backpack isn't big enough.

Nice one!

Franco
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Thanks Bernardo... email sent
I am particularly fond of those woody bulls.
Ron
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Looks very nice, Bernardo! I'm particularly fond of that nice big pocket on the front, but I can see you've put a lot of thought into the rest of the design as well. Regarding the thickness, I'm guessing that the idea is for it to have plenty of room to bulge out when full of whips because of the larger length x height dimensions? If you have the chance, it would be really neat to see a picture of the bag closed, filled with all those whips, and hanging from your shoulder. An action shot, if you will. :)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Lauren's asking for an action shot! Loll! Sorry, couldn't help myself, hehehe.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Lauren,

An action shot? sure thing! LOL :lol:

Glad you liked it! thanks! I remember Paul suggested a pocket that was big enough to carry the leather dressing tubs, as well as small tools, falls and poppers, and I made sure I made it really big, so that I could even fit my notebook.

Actually, the frontal shot of the bag was taken with all those whips inside! And yes, that was exactly the idea -I always thought you are very clever ;) the generous dimensions provide plenty of room for the bag to bulge out when it's full of whips. I arrived to those measurements in height and width by arranging several of my whips in an imaginary bag, and then measuring how wide and long the bag would have to be to close comfortably and hold them all. Stockwhips tend to be long and thin, and bullwhips tend to be thick and wide, so I combined both. As a result, this bag is really easy to close when it's fully loaded :) and although is big, it is still reasonably sized for carrying around.

I'll ask a friend tomorrow to take a pic of me with the case on my shoulder. Then you'll have a better idea of how it looks like "in action". :)

Franco,

Thanks for the kind words too! :) I had the same problem, as I used different backpacks to carry my whips, but they weren't big enough, and I either had to limit the number of whips I took with me, or carry two backpacks, which obviously was uncomfortable. Backpacks are also padded only on the back, so I had to be careful not to bump into something as this may damage the whips inside. But now, I am really happy of how I can fit lots of whips in one case, and carry them securely without having to worry too much about how I handle the case. What are you waiting to order one!? :lol:
FloatinJoe wrote:My thought on having the velcro on both sides would allow you to lay out four whips, two on each side and have easy access to them. This way you wouldn't have to remove whips you weren't going to use in order to get to the whip you want.

Mike
Mike, I never thought of arranging the whips like that, but sounds like a good idea. As I said before, it won't be much of a problem to add another set of velcro straps for you, so that you could arrange your whips that way.

Bernardo
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Bernardo, I like it! :tup:

Is the material water-resistant and easy to clean?

Additional Velcro straps would be great to really maximum the organizational capacity of the case. That price is pretty reasonable too.

Dan
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Man,

EVERYONE is doing awesome whip cases now!

I really like the look of that, Bernardo! My whip bag's been feeling kinda crowded for a while now, so I might have to get me one of those!

All the best!

-Dan
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Dans, glad you like the case :D

The nylon canvas on the outside is water-repellent, which means if you get caught in a thunderstorm, it will protect your whips from the rain, but if you go swimming with your bag the water will eventually penetrate. The material seems very easy to clean.

Dan (The fish)

If you recall, I took some notes of the dimensions of your whip bag and the features I liked the most about it. I think you'll like this one.

Here are a few pics of the bag "in action".

Below I am "loading" the case to almost full capacity.

I was able to place inside the case 12 whips in total (3 stockwhips, 9 bullwhips).

Here's the fully loaded whip case ready to go.

Originally the case had 4 velcro straps located on one side, but after some testing, I found out that 2 of them weren't really necessary, so I moved those to the other side, so now there's still four straps, two on each side.

Thanks!

Bernardo

thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Yes, I do indeed recall, and I recall the conversations with you about the possibilities.

Me Likee!

:D :D
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

It looks great Bernardo. As well as being totally practical it would look good in any context. Well done.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi Bernardo,

The whip case looks great. After all the discussion about the whip bag designs we had last summer in Ohio, it's wonderful to see it all come to fruition. It looks even better than I had imagined. I can't wait to see it in person!!! Great job my friend!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
http://www.midwestwhips.com