David Morgan No Longer Braiding, so?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: David Morgan No Longer Braiding, so?

Post by Will_Morgan »

A very interesting topic, too interesting to me in fact for me to chime in on so clearly...

But Bufflehead I'm hoping that was a while ago when David said he was braiding whips. David's long term memory is pretty good, and he can keep up in most conversations and I would in fact love for him to have more whip conversations, but his short term memory has lately been 'shot' as he says. He's recovered physically from the broken hip of a year before last quite well but brainwise there have been some challenges which he is handling with admirable grace. I have noticed in a couple store conversations over the last year where he said he is still braiding whips, I try to be there to correct him.. And try to listen in on phone conversations he has with people who don't know about his memory issue ( explicitely ) to make sure he isn't saying we have this or that in stock or taking an order without writing it down.

He cracks each whip and strongly cares about and oversees the quality... Meagan is the whip master, so to speak.

When he talks in the store I've seen his brain come up with the answer that he is still braiding whips, he has so closely identified with braiding whips over the years, so that combined with short term memory loss, makes his answer sincere at least. He is braiding, he braided a chin strap or two this morning in fact, and I hope to get him to help me soon on a project as he is still a great teacher, but Meagan is cutting and braiding on the whips, and my nephew Alex is doing the foundations etc.. but most importantly is doing the heavy pulling on the whips.

I was doing some braiding -- and not reluctantly as opposed to when I was twelve through 18 when it was part of earning an allowance... but Alex has recently made more time to work, and his hands have toughened up, so I am a 'reserve' braider. I think part of the reason a shop is a shop is because of the team, and David is a very special part of our team.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Yeah, I've had my DM whip for a few years, now. I'm not sure which year it was that I got it, but it was around the time that Meagan first began to help him, or at least we first heard about it here on COW. I think it was 2005 that I went out to the QM, and I had my DM whip then.
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

Hi Will,

It's really cool to see you on here. Thanks for showing me around your shop on Feb 20. Also had a great time cracking whips with you. Extend my thanks to Megan and Alex for the whip and especially Alex for putting up with me for the day. I love my new whip.

I also recently finished a 6Ft using the new techniques I learned when I was there. I'll post some pics soon.

Spencer Thorp :whip:
Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Will_Morgan »

Hi Spencer! Nice to see you here. I've passed on your hellos and thanks to Meagan and Alex thank you, glad you had a good time, and glad you learned some things.. post away as you have time that'll be great, I'll share with the crew!
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

Thanks. :whip:
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

Hi Will,

Thanks for your intimate post. There are a lot of folks here who care about David, and greatly respect his knowledge. He has done so much for the whip making community, not to mention his legendary status as a whipmaker himself. It's neat to hear from "inside" the shop on the subject. Best wishes to all you folks.
Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Will_Morgan »

Thankee for the very kind welcome Bluzharp! Over the years David built up quite a record of correspondence with y'all and whip interested people in general, and I hope to help us keep that going in some fashion.
SHoWhips
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SHoWhips »

Hi Will,

I had a correspondence with Mr. Morgan back in the mid 90's and he was gracious enough
to answer some questions I had sent him by writing his answers on the paper, diagrams
and all. That's class and that is David Morgan. I'd say Mr. Morgan is like the favorite teacher
to many in regards to the respect we have for him and his eagerness to share his knowledge.

I remember calling to order his book and a hide and was nearly speechless when I
found that it was Mr. Morgan I was actually talking to! I was so worried about asking questions
so as not to seem pushy but really it was Mr. Morgan that was driving the conversation. And I did
not object :D

It's great to see you posting here and I do hope to visit if/when I ever get out your way. Give my
best to Mr. Morgan and the family.

Scott
jayw13th
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jayw13th »

I am loving my Morgan whip. I did not have much corespondence mainly because I was satisfied with the legacy and knowledge behind the company. I had faith I would receive the best product for my money. I am just as proud no matter who's hands plaited it.