Gotta Christy's and..

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indy_Werner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Gotta Christy's and..

Post by Indy_Werner »

I'm really liking this hat. It's got a great color (light sable) and after reading about how soft the felt is, I was surprised at the stiffness. It seems along the same as my original federation, but I've pounded that thing over the years. As commonly discussed, the stitching on the ribbon is a little questionable but, for me, it's not much to worry about. It's fine. I took some photos of it but I forgot to take some comapre shots against my federation... oh well. The pinch is a bit off center.. I might fix it, and I might not.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... dfront.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... tyleft.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... ront-1.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... yright.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... yflash.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/ ... G_0756.jpg
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Gotta Christy's and..

Post by Erri »

Perhaps it's time I do a serious review of the Christy's so I don't have to say this in every thread... the brim is cardboard-stiff when the hat first arrives but after a couple of weeks (a month top) wearing the hat it will become completely soft with no stiffness and it will wave into the wind. So...

...Enjoy your hat ;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The brim on my Christy's flops around when I have the air conditioning in my car on the lowest setting. Thats floppy!

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Erri, I thought you did a serious review of the Christy's in the original Christy's thread. Were you just kidding in that one? :lol: ;) I know other owners reviewed it there. ;) I'd actually like to see one of these hats in person. They fascinate me, but I don't have the expendable funds to buy one on a whim.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Congratulations on your new hat, it looks really good. Like Erri said, don´t worry too much about the brim it will get very floppy in a little time. Looks very LC, especially in your last picture!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Erri, I thought you did a serious review of the Christy's in the original Christy's thread. Were you just kidding in that one?
LOL, well I practically only posted pictures and discussed it but not an actual review. I was thinking of making one like I recently did for the shirts but we will see. I am a copycat of kiltie, who inspired me after his extensive hats comparison review.
binkmeisterRick wrote:I'd actually like to see one of these hats in person. They fascinate me, but I don't have the expendable funds to buy one on a whim.
Now watch it Bink... you might get a couple of PMs saying "In case you're considering one... DON'T!!!! DON'T!!! BEWARE!!!" :lol:

Fashination towards the Christy's is something you want to keep secret around here :-$
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think I can handle it, Erri. Thanks for your concern, though. :lol:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

no problem :lol: :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Rick, I settled my fascination with Federation Deluxes by buying one and love it. So maybe if you do end up buying a Christy's you'll like it.

I too have a fascination with these. :Plymouth:

Randy
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I seem to be starting at the top of the pile (owning f ABs) so I guess the only way to go from there is down! :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

true. maybe you could buy a Dorfman and count your AB blessings?

Randy
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I've considered it! :lol: Seriously, I remember begging for one as a kid and never getting one. I'm occasionally tempted to get one now just for the nostalgia.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

As a kid, I had a Stetson official Indy hat given to me by my grandfather. Funny, wanting another one led me here.

I have a wool DP I bought before coming here.. it left the box once.

Randy
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oh, I'm not saying I'd actually wear the DP. :lol: I think what fascinates me about the Christy's is the floppiness and the possibility of a thinner felt. I'd love to get a decent featherweight fedora for the summer months, but I'm not sure the Christy is quite that. It may not be the most SA or durable hat around, but I wouldn't be using it for an Indy hat, anyway.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, I wore my Christy's all though the South Florida summer and it hasn't tapered or fallen apart. It is defintalely a thin hat. I got a grey one so that I would have a dressier hat to go with my black and blue suits. It definately fit the bill. Little by little I've been introducing it into my more casual clothing and have just about got the hat where I wear it at least three times a week and it, as I said before, has held up very well and has a nice a subtle reverse taper to the it. Its not the best hat in the world, especially when you put it up next to an AB, but it is what it is and I like it for that.

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Dave, could you possibly take a marco picture comparing the brim widths of the two hats and PM them to me?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Which two hats? If you referring to the AB, I haven't received mine yet. I was comparing it to GoneSolo's AB and the photos I've seen here. I'd be more than happy to send you pictures of the Christy's and my Penman. I think the Penman and AB both have the same brim width. :-k

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The Penman and Christy will work, too. I'm not after the brim width though, rather an idea of the thickness of the felt.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Sure. I'll do it when I get home. I think John uses the same felt Steve does so it will be good indicator of how the Christy's felt compares to the AB felt. The Christy's felt is defintely less dense. It has a lot of air in it. It absorbs water like a sponge. It hasn't tapered on me and its gone a couple light showers and lots of heat and humidity. It should hold up fine.

Dave
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I seem to be starting at the top of the pile (owning f ABs) so I guess the only way to go from there is down! :lol:
In quality yes of course, one can only go down, I have an AB-Deluxe so I can definitely say it's the difference between the Queen Mary and Quint's boat from Jaws. And I'm not talking of the type of felt (rabbit Vs beaver), only about craftmanship and the choice of material.
But if you consider the Christy in the ocean of modern hats it is one of the most appealing. If you are looking for a non-indy hat even better, means you don't have to worry about possible tapering!
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

binkmeisterRick wrote: I think what fascinates me about the Christy's is the floppiness and the possibility of a thinner felt. I'd love to get a decent featherweight fedora for the summer months, but I'm not sure the Christy is quite that. It may not be the most SA or durable hat around, but I wouldn't be using it for an Indy hat, anyway.
I took the liner out of my frontline Christys' after much abuse. I don't think it'll be going back in. We'll see how that goes. I'm torn between continuing on with the Great Christys' Experiment and taking out the much heavier AB this spring/summer to see what it can do. That is ultimately what put me over on the AB; seeing the "in action" shots by Jens and his ilk. I know it has the potential to be a real albatros in the Texas heat, but I'm pretty resistant. We'll see...

Bink, this is a real stretch - like the span of the Golden Gate Bridge stretch - but do you remember the last generations of the Banana Republic fedoras? Not the really nice, well made ones that came early on with the pugaree, but the thinner ones with the cloth sweatbands that were real floppy? That's pretty similar to the Christys' Adventurer.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I've dealt plenty with ABs in the heat, and will so again! Sadly, I can't remember the BR hats. Thanks, anyway. ;) Really, I just want a featherweight hat, even if I end up going to Art Fawcett (who has some NICE featherweight felt) or anyone else who can help me scratch that itch. ;)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

What about the PB floppy rabbits?

Randy
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

kiltie wrote: seeing the "in action" shots by Jens and his ilk. I know it has the potential to be a real albatros in the Texas heat, but I'm pretty resistant. We'll see...
I believe Jens has a vintage hat reblocked by Marc but yes the AB do resist to a lot of summer adventures. I can vouch for that
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

theinterchange wrote:What about the PB floppy rabbits?

Randy
I've seen some nice PB hats in person, but they're just not my cup of tea. But I haven't seen a Christy's in person, so I'm a bit clueless as to whether that one may or may not work.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Ahh, gotcha! I know how that is. ;)

Randy
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
theinterchange wrote:What about the PB floppy rabbits?

Randy
I've seen some nice PB hats in person, but they're just not my cup of tea. But I haven't seen a Christy's in person, so I'm a bit clueless as to whether that one may or may not work.
Would a video of me handling the hat help?
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Just to join Erry...even I've been disappointed by a severe shrinkage with my first Christys.
I must recognize that It's the best deal on the market for the moment. I've been disappointed by the Fed IV, and must confess that I don't wear the Fed but always the Christys except the old Fed...but, unfortunetely they stopped to produce it.
Since, I bought some Christys , a light sable, a burma and a cork.
If christys was able to produce the same hat (excellent size for the brim) with a thicker felt...It will be fantastic. the price is uncredible for a such hat and the service perfect. Only two weeks to wait to have my order : BRAVO Hornets.
I post some pictures

Probably my last post

ANJALI from Nairobi
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

ahhhh don't you just love that Burma colour? Doesn't it look like the same colour of the seaplane hat!?!?!? Nope? Oh well :lol:
The ribbon on the burma looks like the same colour (and size) of the light sable, can you confirm me that? Did you specifically asked for that colour? I wanted the same colour but they didn't have it in a wider size

Thanks for your feedback ANJALI, it's great to see such a variety in pictures!
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Great pictures Anjali! It´s good to see more pictures of Burma and Cork. Even if I can only speak for Cork and Sable, your pictures display these two extremely well!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

ANJALI, no one on these boards makes these hats "their own" like you. Those hats look great. I really like the cork color. I hadn't seen that one yet. Great pics.

Dave
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Dave, if you want to see some pictures of the Cork colour take a look at this thread here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37052&hilit=young+indy
My Young Indy fed is also Cork, and I have to say it became one of my favorite hat colours.
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Erri wrote: The ribbon on the burma looks like the same colour (and size) of the light sable, can you confirm me that? Did you specifically asked for that colour?
yes, the ribbon has the same colour.
i've just ordered a burma hat without specifically colour. Burma = green-grey (near (but not like) the colour of the military australian slouch hat)
Regards
Anjali
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

ANJALI wrote:

ANJALI from Nairobi
I do like that "cork" color. Is it as reddish as it appears on my monitor? And the Burma has a greenish tint to it?

Cheers!

Dan
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The burma is of a green tint although its colour really changes a lot in front of your very eyes depending on the light... let alone try to catch it on camera correctly.
You can find some pictures of my burma here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36083&hilit=seaplane and a video here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36581&hilit=seaplane
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

DanielJones wrote:
I do like that "cork" color. Is it as reddish as it appears on my monitor? And the Burma has a greenish tint to it?

Cheers!

Dan
It is quite reddish but under certain lights it can also look a bit like Sable. So like Burma it is a very changing colour.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Interesting. :-k Well, thanks for the heads up guys, most appreciated. :D

Cheers!

Dan
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

kiltie wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote: I think what fascinates me about the Christy's is the floppiness and the possibility of a thinner felt. I'd love to get a decent featherweight fedora for the summer months, but I'm not sure the Christy is quite that. It may not be the most SA or durable hat around, but I wouldn't be using it for an Indy hat, anyway.
I took the liner out of my frontline Christys' after much abuse. I don't think it'll be going back in. We'll see how that goes. I'm torn between continuing on with the Great Christys' Experiment and taking out the much heavier AB this spring/summer to see what it can do. That is ultimately what put me over on the AB; seeing the "in action" shots by Jens and his ilk. I know it has the potential to be a real albatros in the Texas heat, but I'm pretty resistant. We'll see...

Bink, this is a real stretch - like the span of the Golden Gate Bridge stretch - but do you remember the last generations of the Banana Republic fedoras? Not the really nice, well made ones that came early on with the pugaree, but the thinner ones with the cloth sweatbands that were real floppy? That's pretty similar to the Christys' Adventurer.
Come on kiltie. You know this joke. If you can't take the heat............ become a cop.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That is ultimately what put me over on the AB; seeing the "in action" shots by Jens and his ilk. I know it has the potential to be a real albatros in the Texas heat, but I'm pretty resistant. We'll see...
Blasphamy, I know, but I punched air vents in the side of one of my AB's and removed the liner for that type heat. Worked wonders when I wore it in the Arizona heat a couple years ago, and has become my 'year round' hat for the most part. When it gets cold, I just stick the liner back in the hat.

Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Michaelson, for what you did I would invoke the tradition of our illustrious forebears, reach back to a purer, sterner justice, and have you BURNED AT THE STAKE!
:lol:
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

BendingOak wrote: Come on kiltie. You know this joke. If you can't take the heat............ become a cop.

Other images that come to mind:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... e_Here.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... tled-4.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... colate.jpg

...and the famous picture of the monk self-immolating in Vietnam ( didn't seem appropriate on the family site ).
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

............ wow Michaelson./. bet that does work. Did it take some doing to make yourself punch holes in it?

Randy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Thanks for the posts on the Cork color. It looks like it is lighter than Sable, but darker than Light Sable?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Erri wrote:the brim is cardboard-stiff when the hat first arrives but after a couple of weeks (a month top) wearing the hat it will become completely soft with no stiffness and it will wave into the wind. So...

...Enjoy your hat ;)

This is what I was talking about... check out this video I took

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Texan Scott wrote:Thanks for the posts on the Cork color. It looks like it is lighter than Sable, but darker than Light Sable?
Yep, Cork is a tad lighter than sable. It has less olive in it, so that might add to the impression as well. I will try to do a comparison shot of those two colours side by side in the next days.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The cork reminds me of the screenused fedora, color, etc. Anyone else get that impression?
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Under certain lights Cork comes very close to the colour shown in screenused´s pictures. But it isn´t always looking that reddish like for example the Miller 257/258. However it comes very close, especially in the sun!
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I read with interest the several comments about how "floppy" the visors on the Christy's are. There is a spray made especially for felt hats designed to re-stiffen them. One of the brand names (no puns here please) is "stiffy." One application will last a considerable time, dependant on the frequency of wear and the weather conditions at your location.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

where can a person look 'spiffy' and get 'stiffy'? What if it is sprayed on the ribbon? damage?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The best things of these hats is the softness and you want them stiff? :lol:

(kidding aside, good to know about this product)