If You Were Going Off On an Indy Adventure.....

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

RonC wrote:Indiana Collins...don't underestimate the energy from a 9mm projectile...even from a full-jacketed one....believe me on this one, ok?

I don't underestimate it, justthat it is kinda a wimpy take-down power bullet anyway. I know it'd take me down, just not those crazy natives. For an expedition or tactically oreneted pistol, I also like the berreta 96. minumum cal pistol i'd get would be a .40. or bigger.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

GE also made a 5.56 minigun for mounting in the window of a Blackhawk that the crewchief and gunner could operate. Cyclic rate of fire was selectable at 1000 or 2000 rounds per minute. How's that for mow-down power?

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

At the moment I personally do not own any fire arms. But if I was going on an adventure I'd want a Model 94 Winchester. If we're talking handguns I'd want a Glock 19.

As for cutlery I'd want the exact same blades I take with me on hiking and camping trips. My ATAX, CQT Magnum 747 folder, CRKT M16 folder and Leatherman multi-tool. I've got a standard USMC Kabar as well but it doesn't get much use these days.

Oh, and of course, my bullwhip.
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

I have a model 94 Winchester 30-30. It's probablty the most reliable gun I have, and accurate.

Luke
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

I too have a Model 94 .30-30. Mine is from 1942, and is like new. It's my primary deer gun. Excellent adventure gun, too.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Michaelson, I have about 2,000 flying hours as a crewmember on AC-130H Spectre Gunships....that's the descendant of the original AC-47 "Puff"...The gentleman at your universirty will surely know Col. Ron Terry...he was the AF project officer who help develop side-firing gunships, and deployed them to SEA. I worked with Ron on quite a few projects when I was serving at Hurlburt Field in AF Special Operations
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

My primary deer gun is a Remington model 700 .243 with a scope. The model 94 is the back-up gun, and the gun I use when road hunting because its easier to get off a quick shot after jumping out of the jeep.

Luke
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

The Edge: interesting and useful selection of cutlery! I have my Benchmade Mini-AFCK, that I "rounded off"...it's been with me in quite a few places I've travelled. I've found it a very useful folder! I have to say, I would in all probability be found carrying some kind of Swiss Army knife, also....thye're still one of the most useful tools around!
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

An adventure in the present? S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. It takes anything from "cowboy" .44 spl. loads to Garrett's Cartridges 300 gr "Grizzly Medicine". The auto would have to be a Glock of any model except the compensated ones in .40 S&W. Having been certified as a Glock Armorer three times and never finding on in need of repair, I believe they are somewhat reliable. The rifle would be an early(pre 1964) Model 1894 Winchester in .30 WCF(30-30) with a 16" barrel, Ashley Outdoor Ghost Ring sights, a Galco butt cuff for extra rounds attached to the rifle, and set up to use a "CW" sling. For Grizzly country, substitute a Wild West Guns "Co-Pilot" in 45-70 with Garrett's 540 gr. Hammeread loads. These are designed to shoot lengthwise through a Cape Buffalo. Last ditch back-up? A Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP. The loaded weight in 10.2 oz. and you can stow it in a shirt pocket without it sagging. By the way, none of these are chambered in a "Military" caliber for use in the more "enlightened" third world countries. Well, my $0.02!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, Lee, quite beating around the bush...what would you REALLY carry? :? :D Regards. Michaelson
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

RonC wrote:The Edge: interesting and useful selection of cutlery! I have my Benchmade Mini-AFCK, that I "rounded off"...it's been with me in quite a few places I've travelled. I've found it a very useful folder! I have to say, I would in all probability be found carrying some kind of Swiss Army knife, also....thye're still one of the most useful tools around!
Ron,

The first knife I ever owned was an SAK that my Dad bought for me prior to a Cub Scout camping trip when I was ten or so. Since then I've owned three or four more of them. I stopped carrying an SAK when I discovered the multi-tool though. I've got a standard Leatherman but I'm looking to upgrade to either a Wave or Gerber 800. So far my research keeps pointing me at the Wave.

My sister-in-law likes to hike but she doesn't own a knife so I loaned her my Spyderco Delica (which should have been on my above list but she's had it so long I forgot about it!) a while back. Her B'day is coming up so we bought her a SAK Adventurer model. Fairly basic tools but with a locking blade. A very impressive knife. Victorinox has come a long way since I owned one.

My favorite blade has to be my ATAX though. I've only had it a few months but it has quickly become the most useful field blade I've ever carried. They're quite pricey but well worth it.

(EDIT: I just realized that I have a mini-classic SAK hanging on my key chain. I've got so many knives I can't remember what I'm carrying half the time! :roll: )
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Lee, I like your choices, sir! ...especially the long guns. It's interesting to see how many times the S&W Mountain Guns have come up in our choices. I missed out on a chance to own one a few years ago. There is a .44 Magnum version sitting in my local gun shop....maybe I'll break down and get it one of these days!

Something else I've considered as a "project gun"....getting a S&W 681 and having my gunsmith cut back the full underlug on the barrel to look a lot like the old .38/44 Heavy Duty. I think that would make a slick field revolver...and very Indy-like! An L-Frame S&W in .357!

Edge, I think your chioice of an ATAX is wise...though I haven't had the opportunity to field test one, they appear to be well thought out in design.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Edge, I don't have any experience with the Gerber, but I give the Wave a 10/10.

One handed functionality, excellent array of really useful tools, and extremely durable.

Definatley the best multi-tool out there, imo, and I can't see how Gerber could improve upon it.

Regards,

Farn
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Hey RonC, if there is one purchase you will NEVER regret, it's a S&W Mountain Gun. Also there was a limited run of them(Mountain Guns) in L frame .357 with a K frame style underlug. Wish I'd gotten one.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Forget guns! I'd just bring the Terminator...er...Governor Schwarzenegor with me! -IJ
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Lee, wish I could find one of those .357 Mountain Guns...guess I'll have to keep my eyes out for one at the gunshows here in Texas.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

PLEAASE don't mention the L-frame with the K underlug. I had one in my hand when a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors YEARS ago and passed it up. :roll: Problem I have with the mountain gun is it's lighter weight, as compared to a standard 29. Not that this is a problem when packing up a trail, but the recoil is pretty hefty without the extra steel to hold her down. I know, nit picky, but it can be a problem if you're not ready for it. Regards. Michaelson
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

The reason I'm considering the modifed S&W 681 is because it's a fixed-sight revolver. I realize the versatility of having the excellent S&W adjustable sights...but I just like the way their fixed-sight revolvers look! A 681 with the underlug modified would really look like a "modern" version of a .38/44 Heavy Duty...a revolver I absolutely adore (but do not own :( ). I've found one available for a fair price...if I can get it, I just might have a go at this project....and it will fit in my Indy holster, besides! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, keep us in the loop if ya do. Regards. Michaelson
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

sidearms....

Post by Mfisher »

If I am going out the front door I am usually carrying something.. (even if it is just to the grocery store) I usually carry a Walther PPks.. but there are times I carry my departmental weapon, which is a .40 Glock 22... As for knives.. I never carry one.. unless you count the leatherman tool I keep in my patrol car :D
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Not very Indyish, but I too love the Glock 22. My only sidearm is my trusty Colt .380 Government (which they don't make anymore), so my vote is for that.

Welcome aboard Mfisher...FINALLY, another Tennessean. I'm guessing you're a Metro cop? Sweet....again, nice seeing you around.

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mfisher »

Hey Cliffhanger... yup I am on at Metro.. was actually a firefighter in Smyrna for a few years.. but got tired of sitting on the couch at the firehall waiting.... and waiting.... and waiting... for a call... I work out in East Nashville on the midnight shift now.. there seems to be no shortage of calls for me now ! What part of Middle Tennessee are you located in ?
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Cookeville, and one of our owns Moderators is from Decherd (chime in here Michaelson!). I am a teacher now, but for literally my entire life I wanted to be a cop. I envy you my friend!

Peace,
Cliffhanger

P.S. The midnight shift? That's one of the reasons I decided to fight it out in the classroom! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually Estill Springs, halfway between Decherd and Tullahoma. Heck, we have two traffic lights now! Getting to be almost as big as metro! (well, maybe not. :wink: ) A HUGE welcome to yet another Tennessean!! Regards. Michaelson
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Michaelson wrote:Heck, we have two traffic lights now! Getting to be almost as big as metro! (well, maybe not. :wink: ) Regards. Michaelson
HA! :lol: Estill Springs huh...high crime area indeed. :wink:

Not knocking Texans, but maybe us Tennesseans wil gain some ground here. Sheesh! :wink:

Peace,
Cliffhanger
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: sidearms....

Post by The_Edge »

Mfisher wrote:As for knives.. I never carry one.. unless you count the leatherman tool I keep in my patrol car :D

What!? You're telling me that, as an LEO, you have never had the need to carry a utility blade as an EDC. Say it isn't so. You can't trim a loose thread off your uniform or open your mail with a Glock 22. :wink:

Hey, welcome to the forums and thanks for serving and protecting!
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Welcome to the Club! We Texans like Tennesseans...y'all helped us out a few years back in a scrape with Mexico...we don't forget our friends! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, old Davy Crockett had a farm just down the road from where I'm sitting, and his wife Rebecca is buried there. Regards. Michaelson
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: sidearms....

Post by Farnham54 »

[quote="The_Edge] You can't trim a loose thread off your uniform or open your mail with a Glock 22. :wink:
![/quote]

Well, you COULD, but it probobly isn't the best way :D
falconau
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by falconau »

I'm rather partial to my Martini Henry Cavalry Carbine with 21" barrel launching .303 rounds. It's a little slow on the the reload, but what the heck, it looks great and has plenty of style.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

cliffhanger wrote:Not knocking Texans, but maybe us Tennesseans wil gain some ground here.
Y'all have an advantage...your state isn't as big square footage wise. Here in Texas, we're all so spread out it makes getting together quite a feat.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Hmm....good point ITG. I have several friends from Texas, and due to its size and their mentality, your tourism slogan is true. "Texas: its like a whole other country". Nope, it IS a whole other country! :lol:

Viva el Tejas!

Adios,
Cliffhanger
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Yuppers, we used to be our own country (1836-1845). But then the USA had mercy on us and took us in. We're the only state that can fly it's flag at the same height as the US flag. Proud, you say? You betcha!
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mfisher »

Funny thing about this whole Texas-Tennessee turn the thread took.. I actually spent a good deal of my childhood in the Dallas Ft-Worth area.. (lived in Bedford and in Euless) Texas was fun as a kid.. especially that particular area.. but now I don't think I'd leave the Nashville area..
And back to the topic at hand :) As for knives again.. the leatherman seems to do the trick when I need a blade at work (which isn't all too often) and I have yet to try and remove loose threads on my uniform with my Glock.. great idea though.. maybe I'll try that before rollcall tonight :wink:
Hey Cliffhanger.. what do you teach anyway ? I had actually planned on teaching.. did my degree in foreign language (german) and art.. was wanting to teach university level german, but ended up getting somewhat burned out with it... NEVER had plans of being a cop.. just kinda happened.. but I love it now.. the midnight shift is pretty fun.. all kinds of "adventures" to get into, especially in the district I work (rampid drug, theft and prostitution activity) I get to meet all kinds of "interesting" folks...
Anyway.. its good to be back on this forum..
TheReverend
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheReverend »

I'd say, if I were to go on an Indy adventure, I'd pack a 1911. I think the fact that the US Army used it in service for so many years stands testiment to it's reliability. Not to mention the knock-down power the .45ACP cartirdge has. I think that would be my choice.

cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Coil, I totally agree with you on that one. I like my Colt .380, cause I have smaller hands, but the .45 is just so tried and true.

Anyway, back off topic, my degree will be (here in 1 more month) in Secondary History and Geography. Foreign Language huh? If you ever get burned out on police work, you would have no problem finding a job. They need teachers in general so bad right now it isn't even funny (especially math and science). I really like working with high schoolers, probably because I've never really grown up past my teenage years. :D

How odd...I ALWAYS wanted to be a cop, and never thought about teaching even once. It's funny how life turns out sometimes.

Peace and high regards Fisher,
Cliffhanger
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mfisher »

Gotta agree with the praise for the ol' 1911... my dad has a really nice one in his collection.. one of the first weapons I ever fired.. (I'll never forget that day.. dad took me out when I was about 8 yrs old and let me fire a German Luger and his 1911.. I was the coolest kid on the block after that... or at least I thought :) )
Anyway.. considering that almost 100 years later modified versions of that sidearm are still relied upon by the military, especially by members of the SPECWAR community, speaks volumes for the reliability and accuracy of the old colt.
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

I fell out of the loop on this thread in mid-week (was busy at work).

I'm a Tennassean too!

I lived in Cooke-vegas for 5 years while an undergrad at TTU. Lived on Dixie Avenue, right at the intersection with the train-track right at campus, across from the barber shop. Was in the Nashville USMCR unit when there. Did a lot of caving while on the plateau, near Crossville, Sparta, McMinnville, Monterrey, Livingston...

Lived in Knoxville a year. Didn't enjoy the traffic on a daily basis, wanted to get back to a smaller town.

I was born, and have returned, to the Kingsport area. Grew up in Blountville, live in Church Hill beside Mt. Carmel for now. Bought a lot in Gate City, VA, across the line from here, will eventually get a house built.

-L
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mfisher »

After all this talk about the old 1911 in the last few threads I was reminded of this discussion last night at work. My Sgt called me up on the phone and informed me I was to meet up with our dept. SWAT team and the area Drug Task Force to standby while they picked up a guy who lived in my zone with some felony drug warrants..(as a patrol officer they really did not need me.. but just my marked car to park on the street to show "official presence"..I didn't get to do any fun stuff) but as I sat in the briefing room I started noticing that a good number of these guys were toting updated versions of the 1911 instead of the departmental issue Glock 22...
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

There's been a big move among SWAT and ERT teams to 1911s, because of their knockdown power. My local ERT (I know 2 of them on the team) carries 1911 Kimbers and Springfields.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Well, since this is too good to pass up.

First of all, Knife:
Leatherman Multi-Tool
Emerson CQC-7 Black-T Combat folder ( an unbelievable knife ! )
Custom Made Combat Bowie overall 12."

Revolver/Pistol.
First I'd research where I was going and its history would dictate what Ammo I might find in the area, eg. Croatia I may find more 9MM than .45.
My choices:
Stainless S&W Model 686 .357
Heckler Kock USP Compact in .45 ACP +P+ or .40
Browning Hi_Power
and Ol' Reliable Colt M1911A1

With a SW Bodyguard Airweight strapped to the ankle.

Rifle, same theory applies above, but some choices:
HK93
HK MP5 (tho technically a subgun)
AK-47
Bushmaster AR15/M16 variant
Steyr Scout

Shotgun:
Mossberg 500 Defender, 9 rounds of nasty !

Whip,
JS 8 foot Whiskey

and a Lightsaber ! ! Now I'm Indiana Skywalker ! :D

I'll think of more things too I'm sure. I'm just tired now :P

Ken
TheReverend
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheReverend »

Browning Hi_Power

HK93
AK-47
Steyr Scout

Shotgun:
Sounds like someone's been playing a lot of Counter Strike!
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

IndyCoil wrote:
Browning Hi_Power

HK93
AK-47
Steyr Scout

Shotgun:
Sounds like someone's been playing a lot of Counter Strike!
I wish I could pin it on a game. Years of range time and an interest in competitive shooting and martial arts will do that to ya. But I am a peaceful man, I just believe in being prepared...especially on my big adventures ! :roll:

And reading a dozen or so Dick Marcinko books with a hi-liter doesn't hurt ! :)

Cheers !!
Ken
Operator Jake
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Operator Jake »

I think, given the option, I'd pack along a Sig P220 (.45) as a primary weapon, since I'm comfortable with it and pretty proficient. The 1911 is good for nostalgic value, but unless it's been accurized, I've heard they're about as accurate as a pitched baseball. There is still no better bullet for pure knock-down ability than the classic .45--big, slow slug (you won't outrun it, though) that will reliably flatten the biggest human, or at least tear off a limb. While it may only have a six-round magazine, let's face it. Most of the time, if you need more than six bullets at a go, you're dead meat.

For a backup weapon, I'd stick with a basic Glock, chambered in .45 so that I'd be able to swap out bullets as I saw fit. Even as far as guns go (I don't particularly like them, but I regard them as necessity), I'm not a huge fan of the company, but they do indeed make weapons that can take some hammering. I've seen salt-water immersed, sandy Glocks still fire as if it had come right from a cleaning. I've got to admit, sounds like a good thing to keep in reserve, if the chance is there of needing a gun.

Knives--knives are a TOOL. That said, I'd probably spring for a basic K-Bar as a fixed blade, and a Cold Steel folding tanto with a clothing clip as a backup. A good Leatherman also couldn't hurt.

Let's be careful out there.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Woah! It's Abner! I've not seen you about in a dogs age! Good to see you again.

I also quite like your reasoning: It don't matter how big the bullets are, if there is solid wall of 'em, the target ISN'T coming any closer. :D

Regards.

Farn
'Ohio' Erick
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: my weapons of choice

Post by 'Ohio' Erick »

Given all the hassle involved in transporting a firearm overseas these days, I think I'll just stick with my Kershaw "Amphibian" (my small-of-the-back, concealed, belt knife) and my set of three, small throwing knives (concealed up my jacket sleeve in a wrist sheath). These should be enough to give me the advantage of suprise, which should afford me the benefit of (at least) a few seconds "head start" to escape whatever danger I am facing.

Let's not forget wits, ingenuity, and a set of strong legs to carry me out of there quickly!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent point ! I haven't seen a soul suggesting you toss in a good pair of running shoes in your backpack yet! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Michaelson, the running shoes are an EXCELLENT choice!!!! "Ohio" Erick is absolutely correct...it is a trememndous hassle to attempt the transport of firearms overseas. In my experience, should a firearm be necessary, I've always had my "host" provide one in country. That's the simplest, best approach to the issue of firearms in foreign countries. Just my $0.02 worth, based on my "travel" expereinces!
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

It was a lot simpler in the 20's and 30's to bring firearms into a foreign country. Often, you simply needed a permit from a customs official. You usually had less hassle. Sometimes, one had to wait days or weeks for the official to get around to issuing the permit. Some countries worried about gun runners. Of the accounts I've read to date, no one received the amount of hassle or harrassment that one receives these days.