The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by jasonalun »

Thanks for the nice review and pics, Randy! :clap: That's what I've been looking for. I'm surprised at how dark the Fed Deluxe looks against the Keppler, though. I'm sure it's a nice color, though the flash makes it seem a bit washed out in the pics, but for a more SA Indy hat it should be a bit lighter, IMHO. I'm still sold, though!
I'm curious. You say you love the sweatband - and I know you had a Fed Reg before and sold it - is the Deluxe sweatband softer than the Reg? I love my Fed Reg sweatband - so if it's better than that it must be terrific indeed!
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

JME2 wrote:
jasonalun wrote:
I love my Fed IV Reg., but it is a lot "fuzzier" than I would like.
Thanks!

I have a fed IV regular but I dont have the fuzzy problem at all. Do you brush the hat? I do every time it gets wet to keep the fibres flat.
Yes, mine has improved as well with brushing after a few rains, but the edge of the brim still has a lot of "wild hairs" going on. I think I might try sanding down the edge with some fine sandpaper to alleviate that. But no matter what I do, it isn't going to be as smooth as some of my older Stetson and Biltmore hats, and my AB Henry. That's the kind of smoothness I like in a felt.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

jasonalun wrote:Thanks for the nice review and pics, Randy! :clap: That's what I've been looking for. I'm surprised at how dark the Fed Deluxe looks against the Keppler, though. I'm sure it's a nice color, though the flash makes it seem a bit washed out in the pics, but for a more SA Indy hat it should be a bit lighter, IMHO. I'm still sold, though!
I'm curious. You say you love the sweatband - and I know you had a Fed Reg before and sold it - is the Deluxe sweatband softer than the Reg? I love my Fed Reg sweatband - so if it's better than that it must be terrific indeed!
Thanks, glad you liked them!

Yeah, it's a tad darker than SA. The flash makes everything lighter. The Keppler's darker in person. I need to do a natural light comparison.

The sweatband IS softer on the Deluxe.

Randy
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

jasonalun wrote:The sweatband IS softer on the Deluxe.
Dang, now I'm really wanting one these, but I can't figure out how to get one without my wife giving me the business for buying YET ANOTHER hat. :roll: I'm half-kidding - she loves me in fedoras, and hasn't really complained so far, but she kind of rolled her eyes and sighed when I bought the last one, so I'm thinking she's really not going to understand why I need yet another one. :oops: Of course I really don't, but I've got this addiction now, thanks to COW... :lol: Maybe I need to go away for awhile and get some help... :[
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

jasonalun wrote:
jasonalun wrote:The sweatband IS softer on the Deluxe.
Dang, now I'm really wanting one these, but I can't figure out how to get one without my wife giving me the business for buying YET ANOTHER hat. :roll: I'm half-kidding - she loves me in fedoras, and hasn't really complained so far, but she kind of rolled her eyes and sighed when I bought the last one, so I'm thinking she's really not going to understand why I need yet another one. :oops: Of course I really don't, but I've got this addiction now, thanks to COW... :lol: Maybe I need to go away for awhile and get some help... :[
Dude, pay cash to a friend at work and make HIM order on his credit card and have it delivered to work. I was told "no more hats."

Simple. I'm going to save money for either a Penman or a grey Fed IV and have one of the guys in the Engineering department order it and I'll give him cash and he puts it on his card.

Wait. I own two brown hats. I imagine that I'll raise suspicion if I show up at home with a grey Akubra. But you get the point. Men, there is a way to buy things behind the backs of our wives. But that also means we must figure out how to wear them behind their backs as well.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I'm not married or in a relationship, but I know women do that sort of thing all the time. They get sneaky in their buying habits. I'm not generalizing so any women reading, I'm not putting you all in one lump.. but I know how it is..

Just watch a few episodes of I Love Lucy and you'll think of several ways to buy hats behind the wives backs.. Lucy did it to Ricky all the time!

Randy
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I'm so guilty of buying stuff behind my wife's back. I need to stop. I won't be able to pull off the moonstone Fed IV, considering she doesn't like my brown one! She'll say "HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THAT???".

Funny that I can go to a Gentlemen's club, spend $200, and get away with it scott free (I don't BTW), but by a hat behind her back, and I'm in BIG trouble!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Somehow "gentleman" and what goes on at such clubs doesn't go hand in hand according to my book.

But ha, I see your point. She doesn't like your hats?

Randy
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Let's reel it in, please.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

What about them Deluxe sweatbands huh?

[how's that for back on track Bink?]

Randy

OH, also, I heard back from Ron at HD, and he told me they were ordering me another liner. He didn't like what he saw in the pic I sent. They're great to work with!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

:tup: Merci oats.
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

Hey guys, I've found that if I let my wife know that I'm slowly saving toward something then she is more likely to be okay about my obsessions. I had some money set aside from Christmas and told my wife the other day that I was going to order a black fedora 8) and she only gave me her "you are so weird" look but did not get upset about it. I have ordered it and it should arrive at home this week. This way I'm not sneaking around behind her back and I can wear it without fear that it will cause hard feelings. My next plan is to save for another bullwhip. I have yet to break that news to her. Hhhmmm - maybe over a dinner out away from the kids :D

Ryan
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Hello all!
I have been a long time lurker and have just joined after far too long \:D/
Thanks to this page, I have been introduced to the Fed IV regular after a series of misinformed purchases, including a wool felt dorkman pacific :x and a Pendleton"Indy Style" (Which wasn't a bad hat, it only tapered because i dryed it forcibly :oops: )
anyhoo, this being my first "Real" hat, I would like to thank Ron and everyone at hats direct for this wonderful, sturdy hat! I will post pics soon, but for an idea it is bashed in Temple Bridge Scene.
again, I am Honored to be here! :notworthy:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Welcome aboard, Indy j!
:)
You need never worry about a "misinformed purchase" again! (Provided you're not shy about asking, there are plenty of good-natured folks here who are only too happy to offer up info, advice, opinion, etc).
Enjoy the Boards!
Mitch
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Thank you Mitch!
:H:
feels great to be here!
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Citroen »

I love the fact that I could drive to HD in an hour and pick one up....still I let them post mine
:- :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

Yes, welcome Jax. Fortunately I was saved some pain ](*,) by coming to this forum before I purchased a fedora. I was close to ordering a dorfman on ebay #-o but was thankfully redirected by this site and now gladly wear my Federation IV regular. :D

Ryan
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Indiana Citroen wrote:I love the fact that I could drive to HD in an hour and pick one up....still I let them post mine
:- :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Geez, I'd use any excuse to go to the Blue Mountains....Beautiful country.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Welcome indeed Jax.
Looking forward to those pics.

Best,
B
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

jkdbuck76 wrote:Men, there is a way to buy things behind the backs of our wives. But that also means we must figure out how to wear them behind their backs as well.
I'm not a believer in that. I was mostly joking anyway - she's been pretty understanding of my wishes for hats, and it helps that she thinks I look great in them. But I've also tried not to abuse that and "go nuts" with all the hats I'd like to buy. I try to narrow in on select "got to haves" and just try to forget the rest.

I also think it would be less of a problem if I sold one before I bought another. For instance, if I want a Fed IV Deluxe, there's no real reason to keep my Fed Reg., so I could sell that and just kind of do a "swap." That way, I've saved money, and also still have the same number of hats. :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Here are a couple of better photos I took of the Federation on my head.. still working on the brim. That sucker's stubborn!

I wanted to do a couple of direct sunlight shots to show the hat color.

Still must say I love this hat. While some complain of the color, ribbon, and such, I really love it. It may not be dead on SA, but it's nice. Fits better than my Keppler, also.

Randy
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Randy,
Looking sharp. :clap: Is that a LC bash?
Give us some side shots.

B
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Well, I was initially going for a Raiders bash, but just did an Indyish bash. I didn't want anything particular in the end. The front pinch is tighter than it looks in the previous photo by the way.
Image Image

Randy

P.S the joys of cameras.. I have no idea what's up with the color in the one. I didn't want to get too wild with photoshop so I didn't spend too much time worrying about weird colored skies.. my D40 is doing weird things lately.. plus the battery is almost dead.

AND, feel free to critique my bash if you want.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Randy,
The top of that Fed IV (at least in profile) IS rather... unique.
:-s
Can you post a shot of exactly what's goin' on up on top of the hat?
Is that some kind of variation on a centre bash... or...?
:-k
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

It also doesn't help that i'm taking these myself. :lol: I was noticing how odd it looks in photos. I'll take a couple off my head and show what's what.

Randy

P.S before even taking photos, the center dent had been inadvertently knocked further down in the back while wearing it today... I didn't notice that.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Ahhh...
THATSA more like it!
:lol:
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

:H: +1
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Thanks, I had dropped it just before walking out the door to take those pics and didn't notice what happened. I kept looking at the pics and wondering about the back.. as in, I hadn't noticed it looking like that, thought maybe it was the camera angle. :anxious:

Randy
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Ok guys....sorry for the delay. I just got back from a camping trip, which I wore my Fed on most of the time.
But now I have a problem :shock:
When I took off my hat I noticed a metal rod protruding from the back of my sweatband, which promptly broke off after VERY SLIGHT handling. I wasn't too woried, I didn't have any Idea what it was.
Later, rods started sticking out from both ends of the sweat, and stared poking my head. :x :Dietrich:
I think the rods connected and now that one end is lost somewhere i have to ask:
1. Can I ignore this and just cut off the ends sticking out?
2. Back to Australia?
3. Should I just pull the rod out? was it necessary to make the hat and then they just left it in?
4. Should I get a new sweat?
If i didn't have to send it back to Australia I would run into the streets and praise the Club obi wan, for I have become attached to this hat :-({|= .
P.S. For the staff, could you work on an exploding head belloq smley? it would fit nicely in most of this post and others
And I'll be posting pics later today

Ron, If your still here i'm e-mailing Hatsdirect as well
laughograms
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by laughograms »

Indiana jax wrote:Ok guys....sorry for the delay. I just got back from a camping trip, which I wore my Fed on most of the time.
But now I have a problem :shock:
When I took off my hat I noticed a metal rod protruding from the back of my sweatband, which promptly broke off after VERY SLIGHT handling. I wasn't too woried, I didn't have any Idea what it was.
I seem to remember Michaelson (correct me if I'm wrong M) mentioning every time he got an Akubra hat the first thing he did was make a little snip and remove that little metal sweatband thingy. Just slid it out. I don't think there's any harm in doing so. Should it be poking you in the head in the first place? Don't think so. :?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

theinterchange wrote:still working on the brim. That sucker's stubborn!

if you turn the hat on your head and rebash the crown
accordingly the brim shapes it self, literally.

just turn it slowly and watch how the brim moves and
swooshes and stop when you think you got a good SA
brim. :)

... or just add a pinch of steam to yur brim and shape
it that way.
Last edited by thecoolmiester on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

Jax - The wire is in the sweatband to help it keep its shape. I did not realize there was one there until I kinked my sweatband in a few places. Fortunately mine has not yet poked through the band. I was able to unkink it a bit but this has only lessened them, I think at some point in the future they might poke through. I did some searching on this forum but was not able to find very much helpful info. Some said they had removed the wire but did not yet know the long term consequences. From what I read these wires seem easily kinked if you use your hat much. I plan to leave mine in until it begins to poke me uncomfortably or to poke out of the sweatband.

If I were in your situation I'd probably remove what I needed to and just keep and eye on the shape of the hat. It if looks like it is beginning to lose its proper shape I'd contact a hatter about putting in a new sweatband. I was looking at my other fedora (from John Penman) and noticed this one has a wire also. I'm trying to be a bit more careful with this one; my Federation IV is my outdoors hat so I don't want to have to be too careful with it.

Ryan
JME2
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JME2 »

* Images Deleted *
Last edited by JME2 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Work dat' brim!

Also, if it were me, I'd push the front down a little so I get a little bit more of an M shape.
In other words, I'd push the center dent down JUST A HARE.
JME2
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JME2 »

Thanks for the advice; the front and the brim are giving me trouble, but I'll take another crack at them during my lunch break.
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Guys-
thank you for your help; it was quick and usefull
I almost sent it back to Australia :Plymouth:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

JME2 wrote:Well, my Fed IV Deluxe arrived today. I've got to make dinner and get to class, but I will hopefully bash it and post pics later tonight.

Edit -- here's a quick teaser:

Edit # Deux -- 4 hours later...

Well...

This was my first attempt at bashing and I knew it wasn't going to be perfect; I'm going to go at it again in the morning, but any advice would be much appreciated.
How did you get that much mushroomy revers taper?

BTW can we see some pics of the center dent.
and it would be a good idea to use some good ol' steam when
shaping that brim, bro.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

thecoolmiester wrote:
JME2 wrote:
BTW can we see some pics of the center dent.
and it would be a good idea to use some good ol' steam when
shaping that brim, bro.
Agreed on the steam.
Likewise, does the hat fit properly? It looks a little big from the pics and that could be part of the reason the brim is fighting you. Part of the its shape is suppose come from the way your head fills out the body of the hat.

Keep it up though you're on the right track indeed!

B
JME2
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JME2 »

* Images Deleted *
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Top looks great!
Is it turned?

Also, the side dent on the non-ribbon side looks to be set a hair to far back.
Try making it a bit more shallow.

Again, keep it up! You're doing great.

B
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Bartram wrote:Top looks great!
Is it turned?

B

actually i like the non ribbon side dent... if your going for a raiders bash, and
judging by your front pinch it doesn't look like you are.

Try evening out those pinches. although before you do that i think you should consider
putting some turn on that hat also, it would shape the brim quite nicely with
the aid of steam for any other details, bro. :)

Btw spot on center dent
JME2
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JME2 »

thecoolmiester wrote:
Bartram wrote:Top looks great!
Is it turned?

B

actually i like the non ribbon side dent... if your going for a raiders bash, and
judging by your front pinch it doesn't look like you are.

Try evening out those pinches. although before you do that i think you should consider
putting some turn on that hat also, it would shape the brim quite nicely with
the aid of steam for any other details, bro. :)

Btw spot on center dent
I've been trying to go for the Raiders look; the front pinch is still giving me problems. I'll be goign at it with some steam soon; same with the brim.
JME2
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JME2 »

* Images Deleted *
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

The deluxe is worth the extra clams for sure. I want a CARBON GREY Deluxe.. AHEM HD.. :lol:

Randy
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Hey everyone! I just got my new Fed IV Deluxe today! :tup: I have a Fed Regular and I liked it a lot, but the color was off and it was a bit on the "fuzzy" side for my complete satisfaction, so I went ahead and got the Deluxe based on the comparison thread I saw here and a friend's recommendation. I am very happy with this hat, and expect to wear this a lot for many, many years to come. I got a lot of practice bashing with my Fed Reg, so I was able to put in a much better bash into this one right off the bat, and I'm delighted at how it came out! I wanted a "Last Crusade" "Donovan's penthouse" kind of look, and I think I nailed it, as much as is possible with a thick felt like the Fed has. That LC hat was a fairly thin felt, I believe. Boy, the Fed Deluxe is stiff as cardboard right out of the box!! I'm going to have to work this over good with my hands (and maybe butt as well :lol: ) to get it softened up to where I like it. My Fed Reg is got so floppy the brim fluttered in the wind!

Anyway, here are some pics:

ImageImageImage

Not a great photo (sorry for the arm-length shot and blur), but it shows off the LC look well:
ImageImage

Thanks to Randy and Jones Boy who's comparisons between the Regular and Deluxe pushed me into ordering one finally. And I was able to sell my old Reg Fed the day my Deluxe came! \:D/ Out with the old, in with the new! Though my old Fed will always have a place in my heart as it was my first "real" Indy hat, and served me well for the time I wore it.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Looks great, too bad about the first hat, you should be a kepper of first one. :cry:
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

jasonalun - great job! I do think you did indeed nail it. :clap: I've been noticing the fuzziness lately on my regular as well, especially on the brim.
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

Ok i can finally show of my other two Feds. I have three, the brown, which i've posted, and i have the moonstone and the carbon grey lid i finally got after about a month and a half wait.

So first on the block is the Moonstone, i've had for almost a year now. I like the color of the hat, but it has taper terribly, so to fix this, the bash has been changed to a hybrid C-dent / Diamond dent. This gave the hat the square sided look, and the tight top pinch keeps it from looking like a bubble. From the dead front it looks like the CS train hat, but the profile doesn't look the same because of the top dent. Still i think it looks a whole lot better than it did.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/ ... ics069.jpg

And now the Carbon Fed. Im a little more dapper in this one, just like with the pic i posted of my Henry. I decided to snap the moonstone one quickly before it rained, and didn't want to retie the tie. This hat has a really heavy blue hue, which is very cool. I like the color variation, i hate to say it but brown and grey can get boring after a while, and i like to wear hats everyday. This hat is insanely stiff, way stiffer than i remeber my other two feds coming. I know it will soften up, but :shock: The ribbon is ok, just like the other Feds, this is the weakness to the feds in my opinion. The hat doesn't have an "indy" bash in it, it does have a center crease, but the bash is small and not as pronounced. I felt like a little varition in style and color would suit my day to day needs. Personally, Like this color, a lot. Now i need to get me a green Henry, and possibly a black lid of some sort and im set for a little while.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/ ... ics061.jpg

Comments are always welcome. I got several today while wearing my Henry. I think i get away with the bigger crowns and brims because of my shoulders. Im only 5'11" but i have 44" shoulders, great for hats ***** buying suits and shirts. Sleeves are always too long or too short, or too tight on my shoulders.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Here's a couple of pics of my Fed regular that I received back in February.
I owned a Fed deluxe almost a year ago and I'm more pleased with this Fed regular.I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

indy89,

That's a great looking hat. I really like the bash. I'm not sure if it's the bash or the actual brim width, but the brim on your Fed looks a lot wider than mine - I like yours much better.

Scott