What's the best jacket look in Raiders?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

What's the best jacket look in Raiders?

Post by CM »

We keep talking about the many jacket versions used in the film and speculate about the Wested, TN and G&B's versions... So what moment in Raiders told you this was a great jacket, or did you love all of them (not realising there were several?) And are you trying to copy the look you responded to during a couple of minutes of screen time?

My story: I thought the jacket looked cool and wanted something very close, but hard wearing and with a few minor tweaks. I wanted the film jacket but properly made. So I wasn't ruled by the dictates of SA.

Others?
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What's the best jacket look in Raiders?

Post by mark seven »

Raven Bar all the way! :D
I love the zipped-up look,and the fit of the jacket in that scene.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Until I joined IndyGear, I always treated it as one jacket throughout the movie. Sure, I knew that multiples of costume bits were always used, but in my mind I never really looked at the gear as being scene specific, if you will. I'm a bit like CM in that I just want the jacket, but am not dictated by specifics from one particular scene. I thought it looked good throughout the movie.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

idol grab by a mile........
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Idol Grab, Amans house, exiting the WOS & Flying wing fight, Raven Bar.

My least favourite is the first shot of the Hawaii. I hate the flat, spread collar.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Kt Templar wrote:Idol Grab, Amans house, exiting the WOS & Flying wing fight, Raven Bar.

My least favourite is the first shot of the Hawaii. I hate the flat, spread collar.
so.......you like the bantu wind jacket then? i'll take the hawaii jacket before that one.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana G wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:Idol Grab, Amans house, exiting the WOS & Flying wing fight, Raven Bar.

so.......you like the bantu wind jacket then? i'll take the hawaii jacket before that one.
Yup, even the Bantu, although you can hardly see it.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I like the one Marions wearing.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I’m into any shot where he looks cool. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of Raiders for me. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of TOD as well, even with the less than stellar hat seen in some scenes.

The turning point for me was LC. That’s when I noticed that Indiana Jones didn’t look cool anymore. That’s when I really started to notice that the gear was different. The first thing I noticed was the press-stud. Then I saw the issue of Premiere that featured the big three on the cover and noticed that the jacket in real life looked a lot worse than when up on the big screen. The leather left a lot to be desired for sure.

And Indy’s look has gone down hill ever since. I really don’t think that it has anything to do with HF’s age, just his costumer.

Now, with that said, I understand that this is a hobby that everyone is into for different reasons. But most of us look like dorks in this stuff, let’s face it. It doesn’t matter how screen accurate or not the gear is. When I realized that, I really took more notice of the stuff that “I could get away with” wearing. For instance, the hat in Raiders was very cool, but we all look like schmuks wearing it (in my opinion).
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

When Indy's clawing and grabbing for the branch trying not to fall into the temple chasm--the jacket bunches up on his shoulders and looks really tough and beaten--I like that.
(schmuk removes hat slowly in Starbucks)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Illinois James wrote:When Indy's clawing and grabbing for the branch trying not to fall into the temple chasm--the jacket bunches up on his shoulders and looks really tough and beaten--I like that.
(schmuk removes hat slowly in Starbucks)

I’m positive that’s an adjective that many people here would use to describe me, so I’m in good company. O:)
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Rundquist wrote:I’m into any shot where he looks cool. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of Raiders for me. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of TOD as well, even with the less than stellar hat seen in some scenes.

The turning point for me was LC.
I actually have to agree here. Not so say that HF/Indy looked uncool in the films afterward. But the much "hated" jackets of Raiders and Temple were great looking. LC's heavy leather, bagginess, and longer sizing turned Indy's jacket into a different entity.

As far as the Raider look, I do like the Idol grab jacket.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Rundquist wrote: Now, with that said, I understand that this is a hobby that everyone is into for different reasons. But most of us look like dorks in this stuff, let’s face it. It doesn’t matter how screen accurate or not the gear is. When I realized that, I really took more notice of the stuff that “I could get away with” wearing. For instance, the hat in Raiders was very cool, but we all look like schmuks wearing it (in my opinion).
Have to heartily agree with you on this one. But many of the items do look great when worn by themselves:

The boots are just classic looking boots, nothing odd or too special about them.
I don't have any pants but, again, they aren't horribly different than pleated khakis many people wear almost daily.
The shirt is fine and useful. Only the epulets might make it a bit geeky buy you see them on lots of outdoor clothing that's now fashionable.
The hat is great but few people can pull it off without looking really unnatural. I don't have a hat for the simple reason I wouldn't wear it.
The jacket, especially the Raiders, is a timeless classic. Nothing odd or dorky about that one.
The bag is fine but certainly a man purse. The belts are pretty normal.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

wholeheartedly agree
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

I really prefer the Raven Bar, Flying Wing and Truck Chase jackets. They have character somehow.
I also agree with Rundquist. I only use the boots, jacket and bag. The rest I just see as part of my collection of movie props & replicas.
Also keep in mind that the costume is designed after HF. If Tom Selleck would've played the part, the costume would've been different. So yes, we look like schmucks ](*,) :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Actually, the jackets were originally designed and fitted to Selleck, so if Ford had been offered the part originally, the jackets still may have looked different!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I particularly like the jacket during action sequences - flying wing, truck chase for example. The way the jacket moves with the body is just perfect.

I also agree with Rundquist to a certain extent. Wearing full gear other than to a convention is rather dorky. That's not to say I haven't done it - especially during the exuberance of my gear infancy! I do know of several folks here that can carry off wearing the hat though - not necessarily because they look particularly like HF, just that they know how to wear a hat. I used to think I could, but I've lost it.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Entering temple and idol grab rules for me.
Second best is Raven Bar.

No I agree with everything Raider S said except
I don't have any pants but, again, they aren't horribly different than pleated khakis many people wear almost daily.
If you buy the pants my friend you will see that it's just not an item you can wear like common khakis.
The pants scream they are from another era. I know you can't see that in the pics folks post here.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

While that's true, Bink, I think jackets to be more universal than for instance a hat. From the extras on the DVD's I remember Spielberg saying the costume concept came complete before anyone was cast. However Deborah Nadoolman still needed to fit especially the hat to Harrisons features. So perhaps if Selleck would've been Indy, we wouldn't have had a tight pinch. :cry:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

PLATON wrote: If you buy the pants my friend you will see that it's just not an item you can wear like common khakis.
The pants scream they are from another era. I know you can't see that in the pics folks post here.
I agree with that. To the casual observer, with all the many different styles people wear today, they might seem like someting out of Banana Republic or Abercrombie. Or with vintage clothing being popular, people might assume that.

As for the Raiders jacket are there really any that don't look good? The waterfall, entering the temple is great. The temple is great. The bar is great. The Imam jacket is great. The truck chase is great with all the dust. The brown fedora on the flying boat is grey...
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Bullitt wrote:While that's true, Bink, I think jackets to be more universal than for instance a hat. From the extras on the DVD's I remember Spielberg saying the costume concept came complete before anyone was cast. However Deborah Nadoolman still needed to fit especially the hat to Harrisons features. So perhaps if Selleck would've been Indy, we wouldn't have had a tight pinch. :cry:
The Stranko concept drawings have always looked like they had Selleck in mind to me............
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Isn't that (the Hawaii)
the jacket TN used, Jt?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Rundquist wrote:I’m into any shot where he looks cool. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of Raiders for me. HF pretty much looks cool in every shot of TOD as well, even with the less than stellar hat seen in some scenes.

The turning point for me was LC. That’s when I noticed that Indiana Jones didn’t look cool anymore. That’s when I really started to notice that the gear was different. The first thing I noticed was the press-stud. Then I saw the issue of Premiere that featured the big three on the cover and noticed that the jacket in real life looked a lot worse than when up on the big screen. The leather left a lot to be desired for sure.

And Indy’s look has gone down hill ever since. I really don’t think that it has anything to do with HF’s age, just his costumer.

Now, with that said, I understand that this is a hobby that everyone is into for different reasons. But most of us look like dorks in this stuff, let’s face it. It doesn’t matter how screen accurate or not the gear is. When I realized that, I really took more notice of the stuff that “I could get away with” wearing. For instance, the hat in Raiders was very cool, but we all look like schmuks wearing it (in my opinion).
I can see that. The costume gets even less interesting than the character as the films go on. True. I like the LC jacket however. Sorry. I HATED that tie. And yes, few of us look good in the whole costume. Probably why I have only ever got the jacket. I can't imagine ever wanting to dress as Indy.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

one of the scenes were Iny looks his coolest ever is were he rides the elephant in temple of doom and looks back at willie with that big attitude look he is giving her.. thats so cool,thats Indy.. and thats one of the scenes were the jacket looks the coolest to in the film

come to think of it.. he doesnt have that attitude look/way of being in LC....just raiders and tofd...¨

but this is a raiders jacket thread so better to stay on topic....
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Yeah, riding the elephant is where Ford has said his disc ruptured requiring the 6 weeks break after surgery......bet he's got fond memories of that scene :-
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Actually, the jackets were originally designed and fitted to Selleck, so if Ford had been offered the part originally, the jackets still may have looked different!
and Indy may have had a mustache :M: ;)
Stringer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stringer »

hmmmm.... truck chase has a special place in my heart. As does the idol grab.

if there's a scene in raiders that i alwway think of when looking for my perfect jacket, it's one of the shots when he's in the well of souls at night, probably when the camera is looking down on him from above. Don't know why, but thats my jacket.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indiana Holt wrote:one of the scenes were Iny looks his cooles ever is were he rides the elephant and looks back at willie with that big attitude look he is giving her.. thats so cool,thats Indy.. and thats one of the scenes were the jacket looks the coolest to in the film
This one? http://theraider.net/films/todoom/galle ... ts/160.jpg
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Coolest look by far - once inside the temple with collar up. The Fonz couldn't have done it better.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

VP wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:one of the scenes were Iny looks his cooles ever is were he rides the elephant and looks back at willie with that big attitude look he is giving her.. thats so cool,thats Indy.. and thats one of the scenes were the jacket looks the coolest to in the film
This one? http://theraider.net/films/todoom/galle ... ts/160.jpg
yep ;)
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

My money is on the the zipped up Raven bar look, very cool!!!!
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

My favorite was always in Aman's (Iman's?) house, where he is wearing no hat and his glasses, "They're digging in the wrong place!" The jacket just looked so good there, that's how I wanted my leather jackets to look. The jacket was always my first passion, hats came years later, and I'm more fond of other fedoras (Howard Hughes).

My second favorite was the part in the truck chase where HF is hanging on the front fender, and it shows the close up of his back, and you can see the distressing on the leather. Classy.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I have to go with the Idol Grab. That's always been my mental "picture" of the jacket.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I thought the jacket looked good in all the scenes, but my favourites are when Indy is about to enter the temple...

In the raven bar... http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/ ... ts/119.jpg

In Imam's house... http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/ ... ts/205.jpg

In the well of the souls: "Where'd you get this, from himmmm?" :lol:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I forgot the wing fight scene and the well of souls (both great).
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

i like the desert chase one
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Yep, the Flying Wing and Desert Chase scenes. This has always been one of my favorite shots of the jacket (and the whole costume, for that matter) -

Kind regards,
Craig
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

serrecuir wrote:Yep, the Flying Wing and Desert Chase scenes. This has always been one of my favorite shots of the jacket (and the whole costume, for that matter) -

Kind regards,
Craig
Is that the jacket Tony copied. It looks so short and the collar seems right... but what do I know. I agree that looks great, by the way.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Glad to see you posting NB......are you referring to the jacket in the tutorial 000/888 or another jacket ?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

neutronbomb wrote:http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3906/15758929.jpg

http://theraider.net/films/todoom/galle ... ts/160.jpg

It looks like the yoke is connected differently in these two images. I seem to remember 001/888 was connected more like the elephant image.
The elephant image is a Temple of Doom jacket, so completely different jacket from Raiders
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

rigth, this IS a raiders topic, but sometimes these threads get of track... and I am not the one who throws rocks on the rails so the train gets of track... well not allways :[

the elephant/village scene jacket IS one of my favorite jacket in temple of doom, I hate the look of the thight end scene jacket. looks like Ford outgrew the jacket.

the yolk on slydinis jacket is much lower and that jacket was one of the first jacket ever made by TN.

the yolk on slydinis jacket looks like the temple yolk, but it looks even more like the bantu wind jacket with the low yolk. IMO

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Neutronbomb, Forget the Sparks jacket. TN didn't copy it or use any of it. He made a duplicate for Sparks because that's what Sparks wanted, but after all that Sparks ended up asking for a copy of the Raiders jacket (#000). Sparks jacket had nothing to do with the movie.

Slydini's jacket is an example of TN making 'corrections' to the #000/888 jacket. So its loosely based on the #000 jacket but for your purposes and everyone elses, unless you want the same changes, it's best to forget the Slydini jacket. (also remember that Slydini's jacket even though numbered 001 was not the first Raiders jacket TN made for a customer)

All the other jackets we've seen are the #000 jacket, a few with fan requested changes to suit them. Chris Kings jacket had some changes. IndyG's jacket(s) have some requested changes. Other than that they are #000 adjusted for size.

There are likely others who don't post here who have requested other changes to #000.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

I generally prefer the look of the jacket used in the Flying Wing scene (among other scenes), so Tony is making me one based on 000/888 but with a tweaked collar stand and not-quite-as-tall pockets that are more to my liking.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:I generally prefer the look of the jacket used in the Flying Wing scene (among other scenes), so Tony is making me one based on 000/888 but with a tweaked collar stand and not-quite-as-tall pockets that are more to my liking.
That's what it's all about. Getting what you like.
What change are you having to the collar stand?
Tyderium
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tyderium »

Chris's jacket was an exact copy of the hero jacket with the exception of the following:

Back panel extended to shoulder seam.
Sleeve seam 1" below yoke seam.
1/4" piping at top of pockets.
Left pocket 1" from storm flap.

Although specifically requested , some of these may be no different to the 'copied' jacket's specs anyway.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Tyderium wrote:Chris's jacket was an exact copy of the hero jacket with the exception of the following:

Back panel extended to shoulder seam.
Sleeve seam 1" below yoke seam.
1/4" piping at top of pockets.
Left pocket 1" from storm flap.

Although specifically requested , some of these may be no different to the 'copied' jacket's specs anyway.
These two are the same
"Sleeve seam 1" below yoke seam.
1/4" piping at top of pockets." (depending on how one measures the shoulder seam may actually be 1.25" below the yoke seam)

The first about the back panel depends if he meant 'stacked over' the shoulder seam to end right at the sleeve or ending as the shoulder seam starts.

the left pocket is 1.25 " away from the sewn seam that starts the storm flap.

All in all not huge differences.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

RCSignals wrote:What change are you having to the collar stand?
I'm just having Tony round it off more than the Hawaii jacket. I think it is in the shot where he says "Marion" (she's in trouble in the wing / fire) you can clearly see there's a more rounded collar stand on that jacket. Not so much trying to match a scene as just preferring the not-as-square stand and looking for S.J., or "Screen Justification" ;)
Tyderium
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tyderium »

RCSignals wrote: The first about the back panel depends if he meant 'stacked over' the shoulder seam to end right at the sleeve or ending as the shoulder seam starts.
Yes, it is stacked over the shoulder seam to end right at the sleeve.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Maybe all this should go in the Nowak sticky thread, just so this doesn't get turned off.