Abused, well-worn, less than new G&B's?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Abused, well-worn, less than new G&B's?

Post by Raider S »

I've seen a number of photos of nearly new G&B's on here, but am hoping there's some photos of jackets that have been worn for a period of time and have broken in or show signs of real wear. The only one that comes to mind is a jacket that was washed, but it didn't look more than a bit less shiny.

So if there are any out there, I'd like to see how they age. Hopefully the goat jackets, I might add.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Abused, well-worn, less than new G&B's?

Post by Rundquist »

You just aren't going to age a G&B goatskin jacket (without artificial methods) without wearing it super hard.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

So who has a G&B they've worn super hard? :D There must be some out there since the G&B has been available for several years.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s&start=50

There is another prime example that I am thinking of, if I can find it.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. That looks like a worn jacket.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Raider S wrote:I've seen a number of photos of nearly new G&B's on here, but am hoping there's some photos of jackets that have been worn for a period of time and have broken in or show signs of real wear. The only one that comes to mind is a jacket that was washed, but it didn't look more than a bit less shiny.

So if there are any out there, I'd like to see how they age. Hopefully the goat jackets, I might add.
I don't know why I don't have any pics of the front uploaded but:

8 years constant wear, lots of abuse, no artificial distressing. I've mentioned this before, I've been in two motorcycle crashes in this jacket, one that resulted in two broken arms, jumped out of an airplane with it (twice), ran a 12k race in it, blah blah blah. And never really liked the jacket!

One of the last goofy pic of me in it before I sold it (now owned by Mark Seven) to fund my TN CS.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks Baldwyn, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to see. Looks like it was very grey where the leather started to wear heavily.

Reason you didn't like it? For me I'm thinking the sleeves are too baggy for my tastes based on photos I've seen - especially in the upper arm.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Raider S wrote:Thanks Baldwyn, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to see. Looks like it was very grey where the leather started to wear heavily.

Reason you didn't like it? For me I'm thinking the sleeves are too baggy for my tastes based on photos I've seen - especially in the upper arm.

I don't know about that. They're less baggy than a TN Indy 1. I see a neutral/light brown undertone myself. At one point G&B did have a batch of seal brown that had a grayish undertone but that was some while back. I've never seen a gray undertone on one of their dark brown jackets (like this one).
Last edited by Rundquist on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Raider S wrote:Thanks Baldwyn, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to see. Looks like it was very grey where the leather started to wear heavily.

This was a chrome goat Expedition from April of 2001, so one of the first off the line. The cargo pockets were thick, I mean it was three layers of leather (outer, inner, and the handwarmers didn't go into the lining). There have been changes since then that might make a current one better.

Anyways, for me, I didn't like the greyness, and now that I look at that one pic, I realize the shoulders are wider than I like for a Raiders jacket, and I end up looking really slouchy (and I went to a 38, when I usually wear a 40). The wider shoulders also mean my pleats never close. Never gave me an Indy vibe. Sadly, I'd have COWers recognize my Aldens at Conventions, but the jacket wouldn't register as an Indy jacket. When I saw a guy walk into the bar I was sitting in with an old Wested that had a gorgeous patina last year, I returned to COW after a like a 6 year absence, and got jacket lust :)

(Man, that hat has been through a lot too and looks like @#$% now)

I really think this jacket looks fantastic on Mark Seven though. Eventually, I'll get my dream jacket that's both durable, patinas the way I like it, and addresses my narrow shoulders, and I'll put that one through heck and back :)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Rundquist wrote: I don't know about that. They're less baggy than a TN Indy 1.
You think so? I really love to see photos to compare as I understand you have both.

Baldwyn, I think I get where you're coming from. That jacket, from the photos, doesn't have that quality you speak of.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Raider S wrote:
You think so? I really love to see photos to compare as I understand you have both.

Baldwyn, I think I get where you're coming from. That jacket, from the photos, doesn't have that quality you speak of.
OK, when I get a chance. The jackets are actually pretty similar in cut. Don't get me wrong, there are distinct differences, but many people perceive more differences than there actually are. This is because most TN Indy 1 examples are in shrunken lamb and most G&B Expos. are in goatskin. They don’t drape the same.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Rundquist wrote:
Raider S wrote:

OK, when I get a chance. The jackets are actually pretty similar in cut. Don't get me wrong, there are distinct differences, but many people perceive more differences than there actually are. This is because most TN Indy 1 examples are in shrunken lamb and most G&B Expos. are in goatskin. They don’t drape the same.
exactly.....my TN1 in cowhide has sleeves that sit highter than my TN1 in lamb....exact same measurements. it's just that there is extra support in the shoulders with the cowhide as it is stiffer and will resist draping the sleeves to a lower point on my wrists.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I only have my TN goat to compare, and those sleeves are quite tapered. It would be great if the G&B is similar.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

The G&Bs are great. The one I had was the nicest and easily the toughest jackets I had at the time. I definitely need to pic one up again in the future.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

This was a chrome goat Expedition from April of 2001, so one of the first off the line. The cargo pockets were thick, I mean it was three layers of leather (outer, inner, and the handwarmers didn't go into the lining). There have been changes since then that might make a current one better.
Yep, that was one of our biggest complaints at the time, and Dave Marshall actually used my goatskin jacket as a prototype to make the pockets thinner. They got it right first change too, so I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much better they are.

Regards! Michaelson
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Raider S wrote:

But look at awesome it looks now!

BTW, never found the arms baggy, also found it to move very well; no binding, or restrictions.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I own a TN Raiders and a G and B. I don't have them with me so this is from memory but, while the Expeditions sleeves are a touch less tapered than the Nowak, it is nothing too noticeable. Other than my Nowak's, the Expedition is my favorite of the jackets I've had.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Rundquist wrote:http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... s&start=50

There is another prime example that I am thinking of, if I can find it.
Is it all 'natural' ?
G-MANN wrote:Not quite sure how far back this jacket goes but it is MK's old Expedition.

I think Michaelson knows just how old this one is.

Cheers,
G-MANN
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Some more pics of 8 year old GB goat-still going strong!(Baldwyn,GB says hello! :D )
Last edited by mark seven on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Great thread! Man, the G&B is HANDS DOWN the best looking jacket, IMO! Just look at the jackets in these great pics! Straight from the factory, all around screen accurate beauty! Rock solid and no issues! Every one is as great as the last/next one! Worry free construction! I've got to get a few pics of mine up here!

TR
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Markseven,

Is your G&B a pre- or post-mod? I'm referring to how they do the leather inside the pockets.

I just acquired a 5 year old goatskin G&B, and except for a scuff here and a scratch there, you'd never guess how old it is! I'll try to snap some pics of it. And as far as SA goes, the only thing that stands out to me is the collar not being at the midpoint of the stormflap. I'm sure that there's probably another small inaccuracy or 2, but in my opinion, they're too minute to really make a difference...

~Jace
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Thanks. Yup, that a pre-mod, same as the used one I just got. I may have to get my hands on a new one soon. Still this one is a great jacket...

~Jace
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

mark seven wrote:Some more pics of 8 year old GB goat-still going strong!(Baldwyn,GB says hello! :D )
Mark, the jacket looks really awesome. What did you do? I know that you soaked and shrunk it on purpose, but what did you do to the collar?? I'm really happy you have it! You're doing great things with it.

Also guessing you've hit it with brown Pecards which really makes the colour nice.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks Baldwyn!,
I use Carrs leather oil to keep her supple..a lot of twisting/bending with the collar :D