Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by basilbakerst »

There exists a Nowak jacket owner's thread on this board and a Fed IV owner's on the fedora board so I figured (along with Fox Harrison's suggestion) I'd start one for Todd's as well. Those threads are nice places to see pictures of fellow COW members in their gear and are amongst those I visit most regularly. So to kick things off, the following are pictures of my Todd's custom in 44L:

I bought this secondhand (actually like thirdhand or fourthhand) from a member of the forum, and I have been very pleased with it. If you look at the back, you'll notice two blemishes that are a result of a dye job that went awry after adding pocket snaps according to the previous owner. That's actually what motivated him to sell it, but it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I didn't even notice them until having had the jacket for four days. I was just too amped to get my first Indy jacket to take notice. Now I just view it as a bit of character. ;)

Please feel free to use this thread to post (even re-post) images of your Todd's for all to see on this thread. It's a great opportunity to have them all in one place for easy viewing. Cheers.

basilbakerst

;0
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by DeWayne »

Here's my standard XL that I got just before Christmas. Pics are from right after I pulled it out of the box. It's worn in nicely.
(Yes, this is my avatar. :P )

Here's a link to my original review/pics of the jacket; http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36784
Last edited by DeWayne on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I love the look of the Todd's but I'm afraid the XXL Standard would be a little too tight.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Here's me in mine. I've had it since last August and have been wearing it almost daily since Sept. I wore it while at Disney World. It's proven tough and comfortable.

Image<-Taken at WDW

Image<-Not taken in Egypt.

I'm 6' 1" tall with really long arms. For a Todd's to fit me as Indy's fit him I'd have to go with a special.

Mike
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

i got 2 an xl and a xxl, pics someday ;)
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

It's awesome to see some postings on this thread. When I checked earlier, it was 84 views and 0 posts so I was wondering if this was a fruitless endeavor. I've got to get better pictures based on those posted so far; nice shots, guys. Mine were taken by my wife in our backyard after getting home from work yesterday without any real thought put into the them. I tried using normal posture so everyone could see the length of the jacket as well as the length of the sleeves. It's getting a bit warm here in central Florida (85 F) so I've only had the opportunity to wear it a handful of times since I got my jacket last week. I tried getting a history on the jacket to give it an age, but the previous owner (coronado3) before the previous owner (TCS) could not remember who he got it from on this COW forum. If the forum member who sold it to coronado3 happens to read this, can you indicate when you purchased it from Todd's Costumes? Whoever that person is, he must be exactly my size as the jacket feels like it was made to fit me perfectly. I'm very happy with it so far, and I hope we get a few more "cool" days so I can wear it again before the onslaught of summer.

basilbakerst
Last edited by basilbakerst on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

You know... Now that I think about it, I may have picked it up from crismans.

It was lighter/distressed/more reddish then and had no snaps on the pocket flaps. I traded it to TCS who sent it off to have the snaps installed and when it came back, they had re-dyed it to a dark brown! Great color, but TCS didn't request that job... I actually like it better now, it is just too big for me. He then traded it to DR. J for a while, then back to TCS then I sold it for TCS to Basil! WHEW!!!! Now if we can figure out where Crismans got it, the puzzle may be complete.... :lol:

C3
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here's one. It was fairly new at the time, and I think it looks even better now. It was nearly 100 degrees out when this one was taken. I love this jacket!

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow weston :notworthy:

you post the coolest pictures ever..
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks again Holt!

Weston
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

Weston, that is a great action shot. I wore my Todd's custom in cowhide today, and it was around 83 F here in Florida. I was pretty hot in mine and started to sweat pretty good. Of course, I had also just finished a 3-mile run so it probably didn't help that my body temperature was still a bit high. Is yours a standard or a custom? I've tried on the standard, and it is a bit easier to wear in the warm weather. The custom is a bit thicker in my opinion. I also like the indoor "action" shots you posted, Indiana Green. Keep 'em coming. Take care.

basilbakerst
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks basilbakerst. My jacket is a standard.

Weston
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Awesome picture Weston! The jacket looks great with the "Well of Souls exit" dirt. Kind of the opposite of my pics (Yes, I strive toward pretentiousness!) :lol:
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

basilbakerst wrote: I also like the indoor "action" shots you posted, Indiana Green. Keep 'em coming.

basilbakerst
Ha thanks :lol: I took those in the dead of winter and I didn't feel like staging any "Nepal" shots outside. I didn't have a burning bar to keep me warm! :roll:

-Indy Green
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I have to say TODD's jackets really look the part, and at a price that teenagers (and adults for that matter) can appreciate. I have yet to see either of his offerings in person, but they always look great in pictures.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Rundquist wrote:I have to say TODD's jackets really look the part, and at a price that teenagers (and adults for that matter) can appreciate. I have yet to see either of his offerings in person, but they always look great in pictures.
The thinness of the leather is very offputting.

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

The thinness is one of my favorite features of the Todd's, especially here in the San Joaquin Valley. Not only that, thin leather looks "Raiders" to me. Indy's jacket flaps around like a superhero's cape in "Raiders". I could be wrong, I probably am, but that's just how it looks to my eyes.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I agree. The thinness of the jacket is the best part. You can wear it comfortably in warmer regions (much like Indy wears his in the desert) yet there's also a lot of give so you can layer heavily if you need it.

However, the leather does have an unusual look/feel to it. Still, it tends to be my go to jacket nowadays. It's perfect for what I need and seems like it was tailored to fit me.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I luv mine!!!! I've had it for about a year and it has gotten better every day. I wear it with my penman refurbished man with no name hat and get lots of "Indiana Eastwood" remarks!
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I love my Todds-perfect spring jacket! :D
Last edited by mark seven on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

I'm on the side of preferring the thinner leather. With the temperatures down here in the Sunshine State, I wouldn't be able to wear anything thicker. I noted before that the leather of the custom is a bit thicker than the standard so I was pretty warm with it in the mid-80s this past week. I was going to purchase a Todd's standard from a COW member located in the Orlando area, but when I tried it on, it was too small. However, I did like the fact that it wasn't a heavy jacket. I feel like I lucked out in getting my custom for about a third of the price of a new one from a different COW member. If you reference back to coronado3's post on this thread, you can see it's changed hands about five times. :) If I were still up in Connecticut, I probably would want something more robust so I can understand where others come from in their perspectives. I think that's the great thing about having so many choices for jackets and forums like this to comment on them. You can easily break down the differences between each and make your decision based on your preference. In this case, a Todd's standard/custom would most likely cater to the needs of those of us in the warmer climates. Take care.

basilbakerst
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Hollowpond wrote: I wear it with my penman refurbished man with no name hat and get lots of "Indiana Eastwood" remarks!
I love that hat! It's a good combination.

Weston
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Hey Mark Seven, is that a standard or custom? Everyone's jackets look great! I may be making a spring time purchase.
J-
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

hoose55 wrote:Hey Mark Seven, is that a standard or custom? Everyone's jackets look great! I may be making a spring time purchase.
J-
Mine's a Standard..it's been in the wardrobe all winter,I'm looking forward to wearing it again when the weather changes! :D
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Kt Templar wrote:
Rundquist wrote:I have to say TODD's jackets really look the part, and at a price that teenagers (and adults for that matter) can appreciate. I have yet to see either of his offerings in person, but they always look great in pictures.
The thinness of the leather is very offputting.

Well..., yeah, I would never buy one. But it fill's a niche. But by the same token, I would never buy a Wested even though I’ve seen a few decent looking one’s on this board. Looking good in a picture doesn’t mean that it’s made good.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

It's one of most SA jackets around, but the durability of the Standard is not good. The stitching on mine fell apart a few months after arrival even though I rarely wore it.
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

I cannot speak to the durability of the Standard, but I have seen some with PSBIndy's experience and some who have put their jackets through the ringer seemingly without issue (Weston's looks no worse for the wear). The Custom that I have inherited has been through quite a bit from PMing back and forth with some of the previous owners. It appears to have held up quite well so I'm casting a vote on the side of the Custom being pretty durable. I think of the differences between the two to the differences between the Fed IV and Fed IV Deluxe in fedoras. I've seen some pretty sweet hats that are made from Akubra's Imperial quality felts. However, the Heritage quality felts themselves have more time and effort put into them so that is going to show in their "life expectancies". Each is priced accordingly when it comes to what you get as a result, which only stands to reason.

My only qualm with the Todd's Standard is that it is sized in a very weird way. I wear large shirts, but an XL jacket was unbelievably small when I tried it on. I've read that they are made overseas, and I wonder if the sizing doesn't translate to what Americans consider "standard" sizing. It just seems odd that a person like me would have to wear an XXL (i.e., two sizes up from what I normally wear) to get a proper fit. That should definitely be communicated on Todd's site to prevent what sounds like a decent number of size exchanges.

basilbakerst
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I think this is great and Todds is one of the best jackets around.

I have never seen how the zipped puller looks like
Any gentleman can share pics?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Sorry poor pics:

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

What?????
It's not silver/alluminum in color?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

PLATON wrote:What?????
It's not silver/alluminum in color?
Mine is. Mine looks nothing like that one.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yes, I was a bit surprised by that too. Maybe it's 'antique' silver. Don't like the collar shape thought or the extended collar stand on the left side.

basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

PLATON

My zipper appears to be gold/brass colored (a bit worn down), but the zipper pull is silver/aluminum colored. It's nothing to fancy and reads YKK on the tab pull and YKK USA on the back of the part attached to the zipper. If you're interested, I can take a picture and post it.

basilbakerst
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I Just wanted to mention that a almost a year ago I promised I would post an annual durability update on my Coyle's jacket. I'll pull up my old thread and post plenty of pics because, really, do we ever get tired of seeing pics of a good Raider's jacket here? Stay tuned.

KT, is your jacket one of Todd's early models? Mine has a differently shaped collar. The leather looks a little thicker on mine as well.

Weston
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Weston, I really don't know, I got it about 6 weeks ago from Todd. It's a medium, has about a 24 back and 24 sleeves, fits about a 40 chest.

That pic was of it out of the pack about 3 days, it had been hanging up to loose some of its shipping wrinkles, the sleeves almost looked like they had been ironed flat.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

coronado3 wrote:You know... Now that I think about it, I may have picked it up from crismans.

It was lighter/distressed/more reddish then and had no snaps on the pocket flaps. I traded it to TCS who sent it off to have the snaps installed and when it came back, they had re-dyed it to a dark brown! Great color, but TCS didn't request that job... I actually like it better now, it is just too big for me. He then traded it to DR. J for a while, then back to TCS then I sold it for TCS to Basil! WHEW!!!! Now if we can figure out where Crismans got it, the puzzle may be complete.... :lol:

C3
I did sell you that one. I won it off eBay from a member here (the original owner I'm thinking) but it was a little too small for me. I'm trying to remember the member's id. He used to post quite a bit but I've not seen him around here for a while. DJ? Something to that effect? I remember his avatar had the sloth from Ice Age running if that helps. :[
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

crismans

Wow. My jacket has changed hands from the original owner to you to coronado3 to TCS to to Dr._J to TCS to me. I'm curious from other jacket owners if they're the original owner most of the time or if they have a hand-me-down like me. The motivation for me in buying a used jacket was more the price than anything else. I don't begrudge a vendor's desire to charge what he or she deems appropriate; the market will dictate whether or not that price is reasonable. I just have difficulty justifying spending $500 on a jacket to my wife. ;) That's definitely some of the justification for me going the route of the Fed IV Deluxe and the secondhand jacket as opposed to something like an AB and a TN jacket. However, I am going to really lobby to shell out the money for an AB at some point before Steve hangs it up.

basilbakerst
Last edited by basilbakerst on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I think it was DJD?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

coronado3 wrote:I think it was DJD?
You are correct, Sir. I thought of it today while I was at work. I'm almost positive he was the original owner and did the mild distressing to it.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

Holla people,

Been awhile since I've visited or posted at COW, but this thread piqued my interest. I purchased an XL Todd's Standard back in the summer, and must say that it's weathered two full seasons full of hectic living since then- and in wonderful form, as well.

The jacket gets regular, every day use, and I haven't given a moment's thought to babying the thing at all- in whatever weather conditions (some heavy rains and snows), and in whatever rocky geography (I'm an avid hiker). I buy my clothes to be worn, not to be gingerly cared for. I'm happy to report that the Todd's Standard appears to be perfectly willing to conform to my conditions.
I'm not exactly sure what most COW members do with (or to) their jackets, but I dare say I haven't been excessively "kind" to my Todd's, and durability hasn't once been an issue. I hear much discussion about the thin weight of the leather, but have personally found this only to make the jacket much more suitable for year-round wear in somewhat moderate climates (I'm in NC, where we do get all the seasons, but tend not to get terribly extreme conditions).

The jacket hasn't experienced any problems with stitching or tearing to my knowledge, and I was surprised to find that it wasn't at all out of place as a winter jacket, provided you had a layer or two under it.

I have also been pleased that the jacket has, in about 7 or 8 months of wear, developed some great natural distressing. I think the thin leather contributes to this, and it's certainly been a pleasant discovery for people like myself who don't favor artificial distressing.
My only complaint about the jacket is that the flap pockets are literally too small to make use of outside of car keys or ipods- I don't know that this problem is exclusive to Todd's, but it's a bit annoying that the pockets are essentially just for show, as I'm always needing to stuff something in a pocket. The handwarmer pockets are perfectly functional for me, but it would be nice to have effective use of both sets of pockets. :roll:

All in all, the Todd's Standard has been a positive jacket buying experience for me, and I think the best indication of this is the fact that I just haven't really had to think about the thing at all. It does what it's supposed to do, fits well, and isn't too hard on the eyes, either. I don't walk out the door in the mornings wondering whether my Todd's is going to make it back home in one piece, and I don't get excessively hot or uncomfortable when wearing it. Like most good clothing purchases, it hardly ever enters my mind. It just wears, and wears well- and I can't think of anything else it's supposed to be doing. :tup:

Truck
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

I really really love my Todd's jacket. And I like to put my gear to use the way Indy would I don't exactly baby my jacket or any other gear (Except my hat a little ;) ) But my jacket has stood up to alot, and it feels great to wear even in warm weather, which is an aspect (like many others) that I really like about Todd's jacket, is the thin leather. The weathers getting warm here in Texas again, and so far I'm still wearing my jacket. I'd recomend to those who want a really good indy jacket, at an affordable price. :clap:

Here's some pics of me with my jacket in use:

Me and my brother

And LC style of course!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095713.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095723.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095927.jpg
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

Thank you :D . It's a really great jacket. I put snaps on my storm flap, like the LC/KOCTS jacket. And then replaced the square buckles with "D" rings. I love my jacket. :lol:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Too bad Todd doesn't make the standard in a long. :(
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

JC1972 wrote:Too bad Todd doesn't make the standard in a long. :(

No kidding! I'd buy another one if he did!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The_Raiders wrote:I really really love my Todd's jacket. And I like to put my gear to use the way Indy would I don't exactly baby my jacket or any other gear (Except my hat a little ;) ) But my jacket has stood up to alot, and it feels great to wear even in warm weather, which is an aspect (like many others) that I really like about Todd's jacket, is the thin leather. The weathers getting warm here in Texas again, and so far I'm still wearing my jacket. I'd recomend to those who want a really good indy jacket, at an affordable price. :clap:

Here's some pics of me with my jacket in use:

Me and my brother

And LC style of course!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095713.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095723.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... 095927.jpg
am I the only one who can't see these pics? :(
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

I see them just fine. :-k
And you look great, The_Raiders! :tup:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:-k
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

twilekjedi wrote:I see them just fine. :-k

Thanks for the compliment! :D . Hhhmmm I'm not sure why you can't see my pics, here's a link to my photobuclet album and my myspace albums. http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/Mean_obiwan/ http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... =425569604
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The_Raiders wrote:
twilekjedi wrote:I see them just fine. :-k

Thanks for the compliment! :D . Hhhmmm I'm not sure why you can't see my pics, here's a link to my photobuclet album and my myspace albums. http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/Mean_obiwan/ http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... =425569604
THERE it goes...thought I was losing it there for a little. Oh...and, nice jacket bro!