Expedition with Thinsulate

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Expedition with Thinsulate

Post by AdaminNYC »

Hey all, I'm thinking of trading in my Wested for a G&B Expo with Thinsulate lining. One of my issues with my Wested is that it's never really warm enough. There's about 2 weeks out of the year when I'm not chilly or broiling in the Wested. Thinsulate might make it more practical in the colder months.

Has anyone ever done this? What do you think the disadvantages might be? I'd be going goat, so it woudln't drape like the lamb in the movies, but I don't care about SA: I just really like the styling of the jacket.

Also, I've heard conflicting info about whether they can install the zip-in vest lining on an expo. That would make it a bit bulkier, but so does the fleece I have to wear under it in winter.

Interested in any and all thoughts.

(BTW, if anyone's a 40S and wants a Wested in pre-distressed, message me. I'll make you a COW deal)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Expedition with Thinsulate

Post by Rundquist »

I'm not sure if G&B would do it for you. Regardless, the guy that you need to talk to is Dave Marshall. He's the go to guy at G&B.
wembley
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wembley »

IMHO...layers.

The jaket's fine as is.

When I get my Wested I will be wearing it often as I too just like the style and with layering of clothes it will be warm enough even in the chill of the great British winter.

You might not like the style so much if you change it.
Last edited by wembley on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Interesting concept. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to add it aftermarket. Thinsulate linings are pretty generic. You just need to find a zip-in Thinsulate vest small enough to fit into the Expedition.
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

The person I spoke with at G&B said that they could do thinsulate lining with no problem. She also said they could do the vest, though that does seem less likely since the vest might not fit their pattern.

Question is: is the thinsulate lining that much bulkier than what they have now? I guess the standard jacket is lined but not insulated. Is anyone familiar with Thinsulate? How bulky is it? I mean, "thin" is in the name.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I have had a few thinulate lined jackets in the past. I currently own one with a zip in vest. Truth be told I don't find the material any more warming than normal. Its just a quilted nylon lining.

If you want real warmth without adding bulk, you should do a dark alpaca wool lining.
kobol
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kobol »

Another option perhaps worth considering, is going down to an Army Surplus store and pick up one of their button-in or zipper linings they make for field jackets. They are pretty thin and usually cost no more than $20.00.
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

"Hello, flightsuits? I'd like to order a custom Expedition. Yes, I'd like the sleeves shortened by an inch. I'd like an inside pocket. Oh, and can you line it with alpaca wool? That's right, alpaca wool. Alpaca, it's a tall wooly mammal. Kind of looks like a llama. Yes, line the jacket with that."

It would almost be worth the call to G&B just to hear their reaction.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

kobol wrote:Another option perhaps worth considering, is going down to an Army Surplus store and pick up one of their button-in or zipper linings they make for field jackets. They are pretty thin and usually cost no more than $20.00.
Or maybe one designed for a flight jacket as they tend to be shorter.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

LOL...alpaca isn't rare nor unheard of. :lol:

Baby blankets are readily available in this material. I figure buy a thin alpaca baby blanket and have a tailor use it to replace the lining of the jacket. In fact, it doesn't necessarily have to be an Expedition; could just go with your current Wested actually.

In any case, G&B could probaby tell you what they willing and not willing to do. Good luck!
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Well, all alpacas aside, I think the big advantage of a zip in lining is that you can get to a restaurant and take it off in one piece. As a New Yorker, I'm always layering and then I'm always spending inordinate amount of time stripping off layers at my destination. Minor inconvenience.

So if it doesn't zip in, I actually have a really nice EMS fleece jacket that's pretty form-fitting. I've been using that.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I know Magnoli can do one for not very much more, at last time I checked. Iasked him about doing a Raiders with a cotton linging but with a little bit heavier wool zip in lining for when its -35F here in northern Utah. Our valley gets pretty cold, and i am from Arizona.

Seriously, ask him. I think you would love it. I have to wait to get mine still. I have to sell more houses first. :lol:
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I also layer a fleece vest under my Expo and find it inconvenient to deal with. I've got a thinsulate zip-in liner from a leather jacket I no longer wear that I want to use. The liner needs to be shortened a bit, so I need to find a tailor that can do that and sew in the zipper. I'm hoping to have done in time for NEXT winter.
PBG
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Alpacas reminded me of this...

Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

That's a great idea. I'm wondering just how different it would be though and how much colder you could stand with it.
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Here's a wacky thought. I've had leather jacket sleeves hemmed by my tailor before. So I might not need to get the thing customized.

If they could also install a plastic zipper of the same gauge that either North Face or LL Bean uses for their multi-climate jackets, I could zip liners in and out, depending on the season. I wouldn't be shackled to whatever weight G&B uses. A simple button would hold the sleeves in place.

Now, I wonder how hard it is to install a zipper in a leather jacket? And is my tailor up to the task?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I've liners that are held in with velcro. Wouldn't that be simpler?
Last edited by Kt Templar on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

You might want to look at the Australian Walkabout duster models some of them come with optional zip/button fleece or wool liners or vests that are very easy to use you might be able to adopt some of the ideas or even adapt one of them for a liner......