prototype Penman hat box

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

prototype Penman hat box

Post by BendingOak »

Hi Guys and Dolls. I wanted to get everyones input on a hat box I'm working on offering. I wanted to have a box that wasn't costly and would be easy and cheap to ship. there are plenty of places to get high end hat boxes. I don't want to get into that biz. I want to be able to offer a hat box that you can use to store your hat and have a handle so you can take a extra hat with you while traveling.

I first thought about the round hat box with the cord for a handle. I would love to offer it but it would be built and then shipped to me. Way to costly. Then it would have to be shipped that way from me to the customer. If your selling just the box, it's just not worth it.

I had my box company make me this prototype and I love it but the set up fee isn't cheep. I wanted to know how many would be interested in such a box to see if it's worth going ahead and making the investment now or wait for a later date. I will have these made and offer them but I do have other products in the works and can only attack one project at a time.

they look like your regular run of the mill box but they are not. Much stronger.

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: prototype Penman hat box

Post by Mitch LaRue »

NICE!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

BendingOak wrote:Hi Guys and Dolls. I wanted to get everyones input on a hat box I'm working on offering. I wanted to have a box that wasn't costly and would be easy and cheap to ship. there are plenty of places to get high end hat boxes. I don't want to get into that biz. I want to be able to offer a hat box that you can use to store your hat and have a handle so you can take a extra hat with you while traveling.

I first thought about the round hat box with the cord for a handle. I would love to offer it but it would be built and then shipped to me. Way to costly. Then it would have to be shipped that way from me to the customer. If your selling just the box, it's just not worth it.

I had my box company make me this prototype and I love it but the set up fee isn't cheep. I wanted to know how many would be interested in such a box to see if it's worth going ahead and making the investment now or wait for a later date. I will have these made and offer them but I do have other products in the works and can only attack one project at a time.

they look like your regular run of the mill box but they are not. Much stronger.

Any interest in this type of box?
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Interested, yes, but to be frank it would depend on the price.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

twilekjedi wrote:Interested, yes, but to be frank it would depend on the price.
It would be in the 15-20 dollar range. I would have to lay out a lot of money to get them made. I would like to have an idea if its worth the investment jut to get my money back.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'd take one. :tup:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Looks like a jim dandy! I may want to get a couple to replace some of my oversized & ancient boxes. 15-20 clams seems reasonable. Trying to ship an oversized box that is sturdy can cost a pretty penny. What is the size of the box?

Cheers!

Dan
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Put me down for two!

Dave
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Oh, yes! I've been looking for a source for this type of box for years. If you do get them in, I'm in for two. :tup: In fact, if you get them in time, you can put my new hat in one of them, if you want. :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The box is made so I can ship it flat or put it in one of my shipping boxes that I send out my hats in. Hows that for being slick.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:The box is made so I can ship it flat or put it in one of my shipping boxes that I send out my hats in. Hows that for being slick.
You slicker'n Bernie Maydoff! :lol:

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

At 20 bucks, yeah... put me down for one.
:)
Mitch
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

DR Ulloa wrote:
BendingOak wrote:The box is made so I can ship it flat or put it in one of my shipping boxes that I send out my hats in. Hows that for being slick.
You slicker'n Bernie Maydoff! :lol:

Dave
I would have said that he is as slick as eel snot on a doorknob! That would be as slimy as Bernie Madoff...just not as disgusting. :-0 And yes, Oak, when I order my raiders hat in April, I would totally want one of these to go along with it.

Travis
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oak, they look great. I've seen similar boxes before and was impressed with them. Are these cardboard or a similar type of laminate material? What makes them stronger than the average box? Also, if you ship new hats in these, would the hat in this hat box be shipped inside yet another box, or would you use this as a shipping container with the mailing sticker, etc., on the outside of it? I ask because the price seems reasonable, but I'd hate to pay the money for a nice hatbox only to have labels, tape, and marker scribbled on the outside of it. While the box would still be functional, it'd be less attractive to use as a carry box when traveling with the hat. It'd be like buying a brand new suit, but you get the rips and stains in the fabric free of charge. Maybe to save on shipping costs when you'd send a new hat out inside this box (and instead of having to double box), you could just cover the outside in brown kraft paper so you'd keep the hat box itself free of unnecessary marks.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I am really interested. If you have them available I'll take one.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Oak, they look great. I've seen similar boxes before and was impressed with them. Are these cardboard or a similar type of laminate material? What makes them stronger than the average box? Also, if you ship new hats in these, would the hat in this hat box be shipped inside yet another box, or would you use this as a shipping container with the mailing sticker, etc., on the outside of it? I ask because the price seems reasonable, but I'd hate to pay the money for a nice hatbox only to have labels, tape, and marker scribbled on the outside of it. While the box would still be functional, it'd be less attractive to use as a carry box when traveling with the hat. It'd be like buying a brand new suit, but you get the rips and stains in the fabric free of charge. Maybe to save on shipping costs when you'd send a new hat out inside this box (and instead of having to double box), you could just cover the outside in brown kraft paper so you'd keep the hat box itself free of unnecessary marks.
I'm not sure how they made these. that they are not sharing but the are a bit more than cardboard. These boxes were made so they fit into my shipping box. Box in a box. I said slick. :whip:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think that answers my question. Thanks! O:)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I like them, and would buy a couple to keep my hats in. The shipping boxes I have leave something to be desired for long term use.

Randy

Oh, also, will they feature the Penman logo? It'd be cool if they do!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

theinterchange wrote:I like them, and would buy a couple to keep my hats in. The shipping boxes I have leave something to be desired for long term use.

Randy

Come now. You should know me better than that. I hope to plaster the Penman bike all over the world.
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

IN
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:
theinterchange wrote:I like them, and would buy a couple to keep my hats in. The shipping boxes I have leave something to be desired for long term use.

Randy

Come now. You should know me better than that. I hope to plaster the Penman bike all over the world.
Well you can forget my two then! ;)

Actaully, I hoped that they would come with the Penman logo, that way everyone knows what I'm carrying around.

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

DR Ulloa wrote: Actaully, I hoped that they would come with the Penman logo, that way everyone knows what I'm carrying around.

Dave
"What's in the box?"

"Can't you tell from the logo? It's a bicycle."

:lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote: Actaully, I hoped that they would come with the Penman logo, that way everyone knows what I'm carrying around.

Dave
"What's in the box?"

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

binkmeisterRick wrote:"What's in the box?"
*Note to Penman patrons, some assembly required* ;)

Dave
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

BendingOak wrote:

Randy

So, do you own one of those bikes? :-k

Cheers!

Dan
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I prefer carrying my hats this way: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11575
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

I'd definitely pick up one or two of these. They look great, Oak!

Kind regards,
Craig
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DanielJones wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

Randy

So, do you own one of those bikes? :-k

Cheers!

Dan

No I don't but would love to.
KY Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KY Jones »

I'm interested. let me know when you get them in,
Best,
KY
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm not sure if these will work out. The start up cost is very high and I would have to sell a heck of a lot. I do have another prototype in the works and I will keep everyone up to date.