Damage to my hat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Damage to my hat?

Post by suburbancomics »

Hi everyone, just had a quick question. I finally received my beautiful Mags/HJ/AB a few weeks ago (still need to post some pics of the actual hat) but when I took it out of the box I noticed some slight damage to the felt of the hat. Now I'm not really all too worried about what it looks like (as we know Indy's hat wasn't perfect and might have had a few blemishes), I am more concerned wether or not this little nick in the hat will potentially cause me more problems in the future. Is this something that can be fixed? Am I worried about nothing? I really would appreciate the help. Thanks.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Damage to my hat?

Post by BendingOak »

You need to send that back. Thats a hole or it will be.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have never seen that on a new hat before. I would contact Magnoli or Fedora right away to find out if it's a problem.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I have never seen that on a new hat before. I would contact Magnoli or Fedora right away to find out if it's a problem.
Yes, contact Fedora immediately.
in fact just find him and PM him RIGHT NOW
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Ok, thanks everyone. I just sent him a PM.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I'm sure he'll take care of that straight away.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I don't know if things have changed, but I seem to remember reading that fedora doesn't communicate by personal message, or that is not the best method to reach him since he doesn't check them.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well he does come on here every so often... so there is a chance he will see this thread.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'd drop him an email with a note in the subject line.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Considering how much you paid for that hat, I sincerely hope is wasn’t like that when it was sent to you. It looks like it’s been cut or punctured by a knife blade. If you’ve still got the box it was shipped in you might check and see if the side’s been cut. If not, I’d definitely get in touch with them and exchange it.

Scott
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

lets see some pics on yur noggin anyway, i just wanna
see how noticable that cut really is.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Scott63 wrote:Considering how much you paid for that hat, I sincerely hope is wasn’t like that when it was sent to you. It looks like it’s been cut or punctured by a knife blade. If you’ve still got the box it was shipped in you might check and see if the side’s been cut. If not, I’d definitely get in touch with them and exchange it.

Scott
Good point. How was the box. Any cuts in the box?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I believe I read a recent post by Fedora recommending that if you have an emergency, you write "URGENT" as part of the subject of your email.

Jack
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Unbelievable!! But, I see it right there in the pic! I have no clue! I would have noticed this when I pounced the brim, so I am really puzzled. Of course sent it back! I never use blades on a hat so I am shocked with this one. If it were on the bottom side of the brim I would say the box was opened with a box cutter and the hat was cut, but it is on the top. Is this an overseas hat? If so, my bet would be customs opened up the box, either here or there and they did that damage. It makes me look like an idiot to send a hat out with a cut on it. I DON'T do that. And right now, I am a bit mad at who actually did it. Not good for my rep. Fedora
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Fedora, in my opinion your reputation is far to great to be hindered by this. But I appreciate the fact that you really do care about the people you make hats for. I don't think the hat went over seas, I live in California and it was sent from you. Not sure what happened. I will send the hat back out your way. I guess maybe I should send an email to Magnoli, since he is the one I was dealing through with the hat. Thanks.

Oh and Oak, I didn't notice any damage to the box, but to be honest I didn't really think to look. I was too excited when the hat actually came. It is a tad embarrassing to say, but since this is my first hand made fedora I think I just assumed that small imperfections were just something that sometimes happened. I think I was also trying to talk myself into not needing to send the hat back, since I had been anxiously awaiting it for so long.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this one.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Just a note about damage: if a box you recieve has any damage, but sure you indicate it when you sign for it whether it be by UPS/FED UP or Post Office.

Now, the post master where I live is L A Z Y and you have to practically holler at her to get her to give you the forms for "damaged packaging".

Also to the hat vendors like Fedora and Oak: do you guys insure that packages when you send them for the value of the hat? If not, UPS only will reimburse you $100.00 in case of loss or damage (I found this out the hard way at work and our company lost THOUSANDS on a single shipment!!!!).
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

The thing is I never signed for the box, it was sitting on my doorstep when I got home from work. :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

suburbancomics,

Handmade or factory, shouldn't have things like this. I know Steve and he is a stand up guy and knew he would want to know about it. He takes pride in his work and he should he does simple amazing work. You will have to look long and hard to find better. My bet is the shipping company open the box. I had a box that I shipped that was opened by the post office. I know this because I use clear tape on my boxes 1 across and one on each end. Top and bottom. Total of 6 strips. the boxed arrive with brown and a lot more than that. Maybe for some reason they opened it and resealed it. WHo know but it looks like Steve will handle it but something to look at when you receive a package in the future for all of us. Look at the box and see what kind of shape it arrives in.

jkdbuck76, I get confirmation and insured on all my hats being shipped.
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

I'll bet they tried it on when they opened the box to inspect it.
"Look! I'm Indiana Jones!"
Maybe that's how it got the hole.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Why would anyone open the box in the first place? It traveled from Mississippi to California via U. S. Mail. There IS no 'customs' inspection in-country. It sounds to me like someone just got nosey at the Post Office and wanted to see what was in the box! :x

This is just weird!

Regards! Michaelson
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Oak,

I agree with you 100%! My dealings with Steve and with Magnoli for that matter have been nothing but a good experience. The simple fact that Steve chimed in on this thread to personally handle things, shows his professionalism. As far as checking the box goes, lesson learned. Although like I said I never actually signed for anything. Thanks for all the info, you are awesome! :D

I'll bet they tried it on when they opened the box to inspect it.
"Look! I'm Indiana Jones!"
Maybe that's how it got the hole.

:rolling:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:Why would anyone open the box in the first place? It traveled from Mississippi to California via U. S. Mail. There IS no 'customs' inspection in-country. It sounds to me like someone just got nosey at the Post Office and wanted to see what was in the box! :x

This is just weird!

Regards! Michaelson
I don't know why someone would but I know for sure it happen to oe of my boxes.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i know steve wouldn't send a hat out like that for one thing. also, there is no explainable way that you can 'accidentally' stab your hat with a knife while making the hat.......i can't see it. i don't even use a knife when making hats and the scissors i use couldn't puncture the felt like that. that looks like a very thin exacto knife puncture if i had to guess. the stitching on the bow is cut from the inside and i'm sure steve would be using scissors and not a knife, no?

(btw steve - 3 stitches on the corner of the bow? i use 2 that are directly on top of each other......less to look at when you examine the hat under a magnifying glass which i'm sure everyone does :lol: i'm not criticizing btw (please, do not take that as criticism...please, please, please!!! :lol: ) as everyone has their own style when it comes to details like this. i'm just wondering how and why you use that technique.........plus i would be drawn and quartered by the group here if i was coming off as criticizing you :lol: )
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

(btw steve - 3 stitches on the corner of the bow? i use 2 that are directly on top of each other......less to look at when you examine the hat under a magnifying glass which i'm sure everyone does
:lol: You know, I actually have to use reading glasses(magnifiers) to do the detail work on my hats. So, there is no way I could ever miss a cut on a new hat. I had a reblock once that had a cut under the brim, but it came that way to me. Wasn't very deep though, and probably happened when a box cutter was used to open the box at some point in time. So, I always think of box cutters.

The only blade that gets close to my hats is the blade in the rounding jack. But impossible for this to have made this cut. Plus, it has a brass plate over the blade to protect the cutting table. The HJs come without the sweats sewned in, they just cut em out for me after they get em in from the factory they use in Europe.

But back to the stitches. I may put an extra one if I think it is needed, and I try not to use the same holes as previous ones. This rabbit felt is weak, so you have to tailor your stitches so they don't pull loose, which means depending upon the "feel" I may add another. But I go through the ribbon and felt 6 times on the stitches that secure the ends of the bow to the hat. And I use braided nylon thread for strength.

On the postal service, I don't trust these folks anymore! I have had several hats opened and looked at over the years, but mostly in customs. One that was sent to Marc years ago looked to have been pulled out and worn, and smelled of campfire smoke. We laughed about it at the time, and envisioned some customs worker borrowing the hat for a camping trip, or outdoor trip with a campfire. If there was ever any smoky smell to my hats, it came from cigar smoke, as I used to puff on one when pouncing, but stopped when I got a complaint. But at least it was Cuban cigar smoke, and not some cheapie brand. :lol: But my shop smells of old wood, kerosene, alcohol, hat stiffener, naptha, you name it. And even smoke when I have to burn the boxes outside the shop, and forget to close the door. The good thing is, any odor that it picks up will quickly disapate. Once it gets warm, and I can dry the hats outside, this is solved, at least until next winter. Fedora
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Fedora wrote:
(btw steve - 3 stitches on the corner of the bow? i use 2 that are directly on top of each other......less to look at when you examine the hat under a magnifying glass which i'm sure everyone does
But back to the stitches. I may put an extra one if I think it is needed, and I try not to use the same holes as previous ones. This rabbit felt is weak, so you have to tailor your stitches so they don't pull loose, which means depending upon the "feel" I may add another. But I go through the ribbon and felt 6 times on the stitches that secure the ends of the bow to the hat. And I use braided nylon thread for strength.

On the postal service, I don't trust these folks anymore! I have had several hats opened and looked at over the years, but mostly in customs. One that was sent to Marc years ago looked to have been pulled out and worn, and smelled of campfire smoke. We laughed about it at the time, and envisioned some customs worker borrowing the hat for a camping trip, or outdoor trip with a campfire. If there was ever any smoky smell to my hats, it came from cigar smoke, as I used to puff on one when pouncing, but stopped when I got a complaint. But at least it was Cuban cigar smoke, and not some cheapie brand. :lol: But my shop smells of old wood, kerosene, alcohol, hat stiffener, naptha, you name it. And even smoke when I have to burn the boxes outside the shop, and forget to close the door. The good thing is, any odor that it picks up will quickly disapate. Once it gets warm, and I can dry the hats outside, this is solved, at least until next winter. Fedora
braided nylon thread.......WOW........that is serious stuff. i just use normal sewing thread and have yet to have any issues. i can totally understand why though........you are a man of quality for one and secondly, who knows how much care your customer is going to give to the hat. "dear steve, i took my AB out to a rodeo and it got trampled in the arena chutes.......i didn't think the ribbon would fall off........i want you to replace it" :lol:

as far as the post office goes, i think that is despicable. if i ever ran into a customs worker that made a habbit of doing that, i would definitely report him......then take a day off work just to watch him exit the building with all of his belongings in a cardboard box. that is so dishonest and it just taints the fabric of society when people in those positions take advantage.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

braided nylon thread.......WOW........that is serious stuff.
Yeah, but really strong thread, and being nylon, it isn't as suceptable to rot from sweat. It is upholstery thread actually, that I buy online. I recall sending Optimo 2 brand new Federations years ago for him to reblock with the block he was using for his Indy hats. I was shocked to see how someone removed the sweats. They just grabbed them and ripped them out! The reeding tape that you sew through was in really bad shape due to this method. I had requested that he re use the same sweats since I like em, and they were brand new. I often dream about someone sending him an AB, and would love to be a fly on the wall when whoever it was, grabbed my sweat and tried to just rip it out! That dog wouldn't hunt. :D We try to use materials that are very durable, even down to the type of thread.

If an AB owner ever finds himself in a survival situation, you could removed the single long braided nylon thread that holds the sweat in, and use it for fishing line!! Since I use lock stitches to secure the sweats in, there is about 3 feet of nylon line there under that sweatband. Or, a great snare line as well. Might hold a rabbit! Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Might hold a rabbit! Fedora
True, that. We know it at least holds a beaver! :-k :[

Sorry, couldn't resist. :Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Just an FYI. Don't try ripping out one of my sweats that way either. I use the same thread. You need something to cut the thread. You can't break the thread with your hands. You would end up cutting your hands. I know I have.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Fedora wrote:
braided nylon thread.......WOW........that is serious stuff.
Yeah, but really strong thread, and being nylon, it isn't as suceptable to rot from sweat. It is upholstery thread actually, that I buy online. I recall sending Optimo 2 brand new Federations years ago for him to reblock with the block he was using for his Indy hats. I was shocked to see how someone removed the sweats. They just grabbed them and ripped them out! The reeding tape that you sew through was in really bad shape due to this method. I had requested that he re use the same sweats since I like em, and they were brand new. I often dream about someone sending him an AB, and would love to be a fly on the wall when whoever it was, grabbed my sweat and tried to just rip it out! That dog wouldn't hunt. :D We try to use materials that are very durable, even down to the type of thread.

If an AB owner ever finds himself in a survival situation, you could removed the single long braided nylon thread that holds the sweat in, and use it for fishing line!! Since I use lock stitches to secure the sweats in, there is about 3 feet of nylon line there under that sweatband. Or, a great snare line as well. Might hold a rabbit! Fedora
i use upholstery thread on my sweats as well with a double back stitch. the felt will definitely tear before the stitching, i can gaurantee that.......and i also have just one single thread securing the sweat.......i can't remember how long it is but i usually pull the spool 4 arms lengths before i cut the thread.......then i have plenty left over on the needle for sewing the next hat's sweatband together (i use the same thread ;) )........i think the next hat i make, i may be just taking that left over thread off the needle after the sweat is in............i think the next hat will be the last indy hat i make for some time......but then i can go abouts trying to wreck it...but it might take months or years.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Neat info, but we may want to start a new thread (pardon the pun) so it doesn't get lost based on the subject title it's currently housed under.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Michaelson wrote:Neat info, but we may want to start a new thread (pardon the pun) so it doesn't get lost based on the subject title it's currently housed under.

Regards! Michaelson
but aren't we still talking about 'damaging a hat' when we try to rip our quadrupley reinforced sweats out?

:Plymouth:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Michaelson wrote:Neat info, but we may want to start a new thread (pardon the pun) so it doesn't get lost based on the subject title it's currently housed under.

Regards! Michaelson
New thread (again no pun intended) started on the subject. :D Please feel free to pour your collective sewing knowledge into this one to be shared. :D

Cheers!

Dan