Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (03/01/13)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

BullWhipBorton

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (11/20/08)

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Nice to see you here again Paul, a few of us where starting to think you dropped off the face of the Earth :D Make sure you keep us posted on your whip making and when you get back in to the swing of things, i've always wanted one of your Target whips. ;)

Dan
Pastor Jedi
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pastor Jedi »

Great resource! Too bad this kind of comparison can't be done with other Indy gear.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Just wondering........Is there any kind of Cow member discount when you order a whip from Mr. Strain? :-k
Pastor Jedi
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pastor Jedi »

What about Brian Nemeths' whips out of Australia or the one Toddscostumes sells?
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hello everybody!

From today only to 1 April, every order from both Americas has 5% discount. You have only to order and pay and you will have that 5% for you. So for 8 footer it will be 250 USD including shipping. If you want some review about my works go here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39059 and here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38387
If you got any question write me on: kiscien@knives.pl .

Regards,
Karol Bilecki
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (5/20/09)

Post by ztmario »

I just went through and updated every vendor as best as I could, for offerings, prices, and conversions. If they make a CS whip, I noted it also.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just raised the price of a certain vendor's whips $200 for their ten foot offering. and this list was last updated in March. I'm saying this as any other prospective whip buyer... there better be a double plaited belly of GOLD in that whip. As usual, I'm happy to report that most of our better known and well liked vendors have not raised prices.

Also, I'm adding above the prices if the whips are Cowhide. If it says nothing, then assume Roohide. as far as worrying about Little Indy whips and IoaB and the like, I'm of the opinion for keeping them off. I'm really trying only to list things that are comparable between the different vendors. A "Little Indy" whip is not an Indy whip. And as far as I'm concerned, only 12 plaits need to be listed here. A lot of people I'm sure just glance over the prices looking for the lowest ones, and I want to make sure that what they're looking at reflects similar items.

To repeat something I've said before, if you want something added or changed, PM me first.. and if you see I havent even read it for a few days, PM BullwhipBorton. I sometimes don't check the forum for over a month at a time, so don't rely on me to get your messages.

Lastly, I DO want to update the SA Accuracy collage, but the PDF file is on a computer that's being fixed right now. Once I get it back, I'll get around to doing that.

I'm also seriously considering deleting a certain vendor that also sells braided leather adult toys. I personally could care less, I just don't know about linking to a site that sells things of that nature, considering the family friendly nature of COW. Maybe BullwhipBorton can chime in here...
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (10/09/09)

Post by ztmario »

thank you.. and don't forget it's Borton's too.

as far as Todd's whip goes.. I don't know. it's a "prop whip" isn't it? at $99 it's 1/3 to 1/5 the price of the whips that are listed here so I would tend to think it's a different animal. anyone else have an opinion?
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I too would like to know more about Todds whip - AND the one offerd by Noble Collection.
For my needs, I am looking to spend no more than $200 on a whip that looks SA, can be cracked, but will not be used for any kind of combat or intense use - mostly for display and wearing with the rest of the gear.
I want a good whip, but don't want to spend big bucks on one if I'm not going to be doing any competitions or anything with it.
I want a whip I can crack every now and then - to really show off the whole Indy gear ensamble - but one that looks fantastic on display next to the Fedora and gun.
What are the BEST suggestions for my price range?
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I have the same questions as mario and frosty.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

scottyrocks6 wrote:I have the same questions as mario and frosty.
Thank God I'm not alone! The NC whip does look nice - I just wish I could see some real-world pics of it and not the pics NC wants us to see of it... ](*,)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re:

Post by RaidersBash »

bigrex wrote:And don't forget "good ol'" eBay friends, you can pick up a 11' 16 plait Indy whip for $168.99 buy it now. I got a darker colored 10' 12 plait from the same vendor for $58! Very awesome, at least for the buyer. Calf skin is the hide used for the source I'm talking about here. Oh, did I mention it comes with a complimentary (free) tub of Pecards, gracious.
That's jrzjoe, I've bought one of his and love it. For the price you really can't go wrong with one of his higher quality somewhat SA whips.
ztmario wrote:
as far as Todd's whip goes.. I don't know. it's a "prop whip" isn't it? at $99 it's 1/3 to 1/5 the price of the whips that are listed here so I would tend to think it's a different animal. anyone else have an opinion?
As far as Todd's whips go... His new ones for sure kick butt - full leather with leather cores, and SA, and much more reasonably priced than some others, what are they, like $100 for an 8footer, and maybe $129 i think for the 10's). I was cracking one the other day, and since I actually use my whips in horse training (I've used a JrzJoe's for at least a couple of years now), and I was more than impressed, as always, with Todd's and the quality vs. price ratio of his gear. You should put his on the list and anyone looking for a good usable prop piece, don't hesitate to buy one.
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

+1 for James Emery at http://www.classicbullwhips.com.

I have one of his 8' roo-hide Indy whips, and it is very nicely made.
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Post by classicbullwhips »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words about my whips, and I am glad that people are satisfied with my workmanship of the whips that I offer.

Keep Crackin,
James
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Bullwhip Borton has tested one of my new, "non-prop" whips. I'll leave it up to him if I can get on the list yet.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Puppetboy wrote:Bullwhip Borton has tested one of my new, "non-prop" whips. I'll leave it up to him if I can get on the list yet.
Any news on getting a "non-prop" 10 footer from you??
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Soon. Meanwhile, I have 8 footers.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Puppetboy wrote:Soon. Meanwhile, I have 8 footers.
I was thinking about picking up one of the 8 footers, but I know I am going to want the 10 footer for my display and for hanging on my belt (I think the 10 footer looks better for those purposes IMO)
Do you expect that the non-prop 10ft will be much higher in cost than what you have now?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I'll be doing an update on the list in the near future to edit the prices & information and add a couple whip makers now offering Indy style whips. I had planned on including your whips to the list too Todd.

Dan
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Thanks, Dan!

I don't know what the final price for the 10' will be.

BTW, I am going to drop the price of the 10' "prop" whip to $99.95. They are all cowhide and can be cracked, although they are a little too heavy to crack easily.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

What differences will there be between your current 10' and the upcoming version?
I forget where, but I had read somwhere that your current 10' has a rubber core - what exactly constitutes it as a 'prop' which your 8' is not?
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

For a time, we made 8' whips with a rubber core. We called them "deluxe" whips because they were very good crackers.

At the same time, we had 8' and 10' whips with rubber cores we called "prop whips" because they were not suitable for cracking.

We no longer have either. Our current 10' "prop" whip is all leather. It is a totally useable whip, but not well balanced or easy to crack. Really not up to par for the whip crackers. We are out of the leather 8' "prop" whips.

Our latest whips are cowhide, very tightly plaited with two plaited bellies and two bolsters. We don't need to call them "props" anymore. They are good crackers. The only shortcoming is that the leather really needs conditioning right out of the box, and the handle needs to be weighted better. But you can crack it 24/7 if you'd like.

We will be adding 4', 6', 10', and 12' whips of this type (with conditioned leather) in the near future. Prices haven't been determined. Someone posted a YouTube video of a kid doing some mean cracking with one of our 4' whips that he purchased from Robert Dante.

I hope this clears things up.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Yes, thank you Todd. I'm looking forward to buying from you again (my boots are still goin' strong! Thank you!)
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hello everybody.

I would like to say, that I have a new site, but it's not in English yet. So people that want a whip from me should write on karolbilecki@gmail.com. Soon site will be translated.

Regards,
Karol "kiscien" Bilecki
kiscienwhips.com
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I am thinking it may be time for another update of this thread. A few new excellent whipmakers have started churning out excellent whips or started making them again, and prices could use an update as well.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

scot2525 wrote:I am thinking it may be time for another update of this thread. A few new excellent whipmakers have started churning out excellent whips or started making them again, and prices could use an update as well.
yah, it's been six months, I'd say you're about right. I should be able to get it done on friday, that's my next day off. updates take about 2 hours if I remember correctly, checking all the prices is a PIA. it would help if someone could post whoever the new vendors are, just with links to their websites and I'll take it from there. it would really make things go faster.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

um, I also think we might have a SNAFU here. Borton, I don't know if it was you or me, but I think the vendors might be out of order in so far as matching up to the collage. After the original 17 vendors were posted, we were supposed to ignore alphabetical order, but that might not have happened... can you view post history to see what the list was originally? if not, I'm gonna scrap the collage until I can redo it.

edit: yeah, Karol at the very least is not supposed to be #16. that was probably my fault. also, are we adding only Todd's "non-prop" whips? I'm totally against putting a prop whip on the list, but have no problem with a whip that's made to be cracked and cracked often. someone brought up the ebay specials and I'm against this because first off I can't link to an ebay auction, second there are several different people that seem to be selling the same whips, and third I have no confidence that these are functional whips made to stand up to serious use. trying to make this an apples/apples thing.
BullWhipBorton

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (05/04/10)

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I’ve went through and updated the prices, most of them were still current; I’ve also added in several more whip makers tonight and edited the status of a few others, as needed.

Regarding the whip collage, Mario I suspect numbering became mixed up in the October update. I’ve removed the collage for now to help avoid confusion. It could use an overhaul anyway or realistically it could be scrapped all together given the current diversity of the Indy style whips being made, even by the same maker.

“E-bay specials” do not belong in this list, sorry.

I've also cleared out some of the unneeded posts that have accumulated in this thread over the last couple years.

Dan
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

yeah, I'm thinking scrap it permanently. nice idea, but meh...
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hello,

I would like to inform that my site has a new addres. It's http://kiscienwhips.com now. Soon will be in English too.

If You could write Karol "Kiscien" Bilecki over addres I will be glad.

I want to say, that every man from that board has 10% discount on my whips. If You want to see pictures of my work look at my facebook account (look for Karol Bilecki). There are whips, belts, bags and other stuff. Hope you will enjoy it :).

Kind regards,
Karol Bilecki
http://kiscienwhips.com
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (06/29

Post by Indiana Joe »

I'm glad to see Mr. Stenhouse chimed in (albeit last year) because I learned to crack simultaneously on an 8 ft nylon Tim Bass whip & a 9 ft Stenhouse. If he has the time to make one, I would definitely recommend his work.

I take it the list is just for leather whips? Nylon usually doesn't get much attention in these parts--or, is that for another thread?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Indiana Joe wrote:I'm glad to see Mr. Stenhouse chimed in (albeit last year) because I learned to crack simultaneously on an 8 ft nylon Tim Bass whip & a 9 ft Stenhouse. If he has the time to make one, I would definitely recommend his work.

I take it the list is just for leather whips? Nylon usually doesn't get much attention in these parts--or, is that for another thread?
I suppose it's just because a real indy whip is leather. Someone SHOULD start a thread on all the different nylon whip makers,

I don't think there is as many as leather, but i'm sure there's a lot, and it would help people out a lot.

Any volunteers?
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Now I have seen it all,WESTED COMPANY sells whips!!! Check it out!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

uh a 10' whip for 49 pounds? hmm :-k
Englandiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (08/25

Post by Englandiana Jones »

Hi all! I've been away for ages and now I'm back! :CR:
Has anyone bought a Wested whip yet? Are they any good? :whip:
I've been off Indy Gear buying since I bought my KOTCS Fedora from Mr Delk and Wested shirt. But looking to buy a Wested jacket in the next few weeks and possibly the whip to go with it......
I'm also on the fence about staying with the KOTCS theme and going with that jacket style to match or go with a classic Raiders!
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

Englandiana Jones wrote:Hi all! I've been away for ages and now I'm back! :CR:
Has anyone bought a Wested whip yet? Are they any good? :whip:
I've been off Indy Gear buying since I bought my KOTCS Fedora from Mr Delk and Wested shirt. But looking to buy a Wested jacket in the next few weeks and possibly the whip to go with it......
I'm also on the fence about staying with the KOTCS theme and going with that jacket style to match or go with a classic Raiders!

Ive not seen any owners pics of a Wested whip yet but out of interest i emailed Wested to ask about their whips. I sent an email asking if they wre simply for costumes or can they be used?. Apparently Wested have sold lots of whips to customers that have used them. Thats all i got in the reply really :D
Englandiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks for the tips! It sounds like its not too great then really! So if you are going for a Todd's is natural tan or mahogany the most accurate please?
Englandiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks Michael! Does anyone have a colour picture comparison at all? I think on Todds site it looks like it could be the tan? Indy's whip is perhaps darker so I can only assumer perhaps a little closer to mahog? Do you own a Todd's Michael or the real David Morgan deal? :whip:
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Englandiana Jones wrote:Thanks Michael! Does anyone have a colour picture comparison at all? I think on Todds site it looks like it could be the tan? Indy's whip is perhaps darker so I can only assumer perhaps a little closer to mahog? Do you own a Todd's Michael or the real David Morgan deal? :whip:
Theres a nice picture of the Mahogany in the vendor section in Todds thread i believe. Im personally ordering the Mahogany.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=51357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Englandiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks again! I reckan I will go with the mahogany, the darker colour looks more Indy to me....when they have the 10 footers in that is! :TOH:

Think I am ordering my jacket first though.......Hmmmm ROTLA or LC :-k
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Yes im waiting for th 10fts to come back in stock too. Todd said in a couple of weeks.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I´d love to get my hands on a good whip but they are so expensive! So,do any of you own a Todd´s whip and is it such a whip that it can be cracked without anything happening to the whip itself or..you know what I mean.. :whip: :whip: :whip: :-s
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Comprehensive Indy whip price list and comparison (03/01

Post by IndianaBravo »

Dusty from Creaseandcorral should be on this list. His whips have gotten nothing put positive reviews here :-k
Cheers

Bravo
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I would like to nominate Riku and Tomek. They have great quality whips at great prices and awesone customer service. I have several from both and have been more than satisfied!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Hey, thanks! Looks like I'm number 24 on the list. I need to send updated pricing info, haha
bfett81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bfett81 »

Considering whips now. Should I get Magnoli or Todd's costumes for my budget whip?

Is todd's worth the extra $30?
Bradsburns
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bradsburns »

I'd go with magnoli, then you add the prestige of saying "oh this whip....yea it's a magnoli"

I'm about to pull the trigger on one for that very reason.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I may have overlooked the option of Jeremy McEachern's JM Whips. If not, perhaps he could be added as an option as well?
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by doppelganger »

Dont think its been mentioned but I bought a 7.5 footer from a company called HMB on ebay for £22.50 including delivery (about $35). My first whip and within 2 minutes I was cracking it. Obviously with plenty of forearm and back strikes (DOH) But cracking none the less.
I'll get a better picture if anyone is interested of my actual whip.