Recent Purchase of WWII "Pinks" Pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Recent Purchase of WWII "Pinks" Pants

Post by TheExit148 »

Hey all,

Finally got around to posting some photos of the new "pink" pants I picked up off good ol' Ebay. Got them super cheap too! I'm wearing Todd's boots with them in the pics. Any comments are appreciated. I think I need to get them tapered at the bottom and a little slimmer through the leg. I must say that in the natural light that the colour is amazing; very Raiders IMO. They even have the pocket watch pocket in the front (not sure if Noel Howards did though). I took some pics with and without flash to try and best show the colour in my room, and put a brown web belt and Todd's shirt for comparison of colour. They are actually super comfy, and aren't too heavy. I could see them getting hot though if worn in the summer due to the military wool/twill going on (not sure if that makes sense). I may later on take them back to the tailors to get the pocket flaps reshaped if I take in the legs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/329 ... 63.jpg?v=0
This pic here kinda shows how long the pants are from the waist down.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/329 ... ee.jpg?v=0
This shows them from the side

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/329 ... 6d.jpg?v=0
Pocket Flap

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/329 ... e6.jpg?v=0
Back No Flash

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/329 ... 21.jpg?v=0
Back With Flash

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/329 ... 16.jpg?v=0
Front with no Flash

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/329 ... ae.jpg?v=0
Front with Flash
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Recent Purchase of WWII "Pinks" Pants

Post by IndianaJack91 »

very nice
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Will you be wearing them out during normal day and night trips, or are you going to save them for the complete Indy look nights?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Nice find. I wouldn't worry about tailoring them. You don't want them fitting slim, they look like the right amount of bagginess.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Will you be wearing them out during normal day and night trips, or are you going to save them for the complete Indy look nights?
I do want to wear them out and about, and to work. It'd be like another pair of pants.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I love the pinks! I have a pair of Orvis pinks which are very similar. The pocket flaps are a little different, but there were variations on the pattern during the war. I wouldn't alter them, either, especially if they're originals. The Indy pants were pleated without a watch pocket, whereas the pinks were flat front. Personally, I prefer the flat front. ;)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I love the pinks! I have a pair of Orvis pinks which are very similar. The pocket flaps are a little different, but there were variations on the pattern during the war. I wouldn't alter them, either, especially if they're originals. The Indy pants were pleated without a watch pocket, whereas the pinks were flat front. Personally, I prefer the flat front. ;)
I do like the flat front better myself, looks more modern. I don't think that I'll alter the flaps, but the legs are really baggy, and I'm slim in the legs especially, so I may have to alter them there slightly and still keep that Indy bagginess. I did have to have the waist taken out an inch, and the bottoms hemmed. They did keep the 3 inch hem, and also the piece of material at the bottom of the hem to protect from wear and tear from boots.
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey TheExit148,

I'm making a pair of Indy pants, and I was wondering if you could photograph the inside to help me work out some of the details? You know, pockets, buttons, fly placket, stuff like that. Thanks.

Dan S
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

I just bought a pair of WWII officers "pinks" on ebay and I'm wondering how to tell if they are legitimate.
They are not button up, don't look pink at all and seam to feel like polyester, no military tags and inside pocket material is green (pictures I've seen of others look light cream colored).

They do look old and have the correct look, I hope they are real as I wanted to use them as a color standard for matching "close enough's".

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

HJoe
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

HJoe wrote:I just bought a pair of WWII officers "pinks" on ebay and I'm wondering how to tell if they are legitimate.
They are not button up, don't look pink at all and seam to feel like polyester, no military tags and inside pocket material is green (pictures I've seen of others look light cream colored).

They do look old and have the correct look, I hope they are real as I wanted to use them as a color standard for matching "close enough's".

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

HJoe
Not too sure how to tell that they are legitimate. Mine had some markings on the inside that look like the officers sizing maybe? Not sure too sure. They were called "pinks" because they had a slight hue of pink that could be seen in certain light. Mine look almost grey in most natural light, more brown/gray in fluorescent light with a slight pink undertone. Most pants also had the pocket watch pocket right at the belt line. Mine do. I'll be posting some more detail picks here later for another member, maybe u can see if mine are similiar to yours. I feel mine are actual pinks since I bought them through a Military dealer online who has his own WWII Gear store, but you never know.

Hope that helps.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

HJoe, can you show a picture of the pinks, or even send a link to the ended auction you won? There are several companies that make repro pinks, but even so, there were several pattern variations on original pinks. Some had a button fly and some had a zipper. Even pocket flaps can vary a bit. Also, it wasn't uncommon for officers to have their pinks custom tailored back then, so that can add to the variations in original uniform items.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Just tried putting "Pinks" to look for the trousers / pants... but all i get is, yes you guessed it, pink trousers!!! Actual girl pink trouers :lol:

what do you put on ebay to search for these babies?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Try any or a combination of the following:

Officer pinks
Officer's pinks
Officers Regulation Trousers
WWII trousers
WWII pinks

;)
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im holding out for Todd's repros, because apparently there was never a person my size that made officer in the British military during WWII.

I envy the rest of you:)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Joyce, I find originals in my size once in a blue moon, but they end up going for a small mint. I ended up finding Orvis repro pinks for much less. ;)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Im holding out for Todd's repros, because apparently there was never a person my size that made officer in the British military during WWII.

I envy the rest of you:)
Pinks are US military. Probably a better chance of finding your size in originals, but would still be rare.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Oh, I thought they were British. Anyway, nothing fits me. Ive been trying to get officer boots in my size since I was a teenager, and can't find them.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

I took them to the cleaners, I'll try some pictures when I get them back.
I haven't posted pictures yet, but I think I can figure it out.

HJoe
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

One way to test your unknown material is to do a burn test. Snip a small piece from an area out of sight, like an internal hem. Light it on fire with a match or Elsa's lighter and see what happens. All natural material (e.g. cotton) will ash. Synthetic material (e.g. polyester) will melt.

Do this test outside and have a fire extinguisher or charged garden hose handy, just in case a spark gets picked by the wind and starts a bigger fire.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

ARG!! :shock: Even after letting them know what they were handling and asking for careful treatment, the cleaners pressed the trousers with the leg seams misaligned 3 inches! The original crease was obvious!

Very disappointing....well they will be ready Monday hopefully.

Good suggestion "Indiana Mark VII", I will try the burn test, although after some research I believe them to be the real thing, maybe not 1942 but vintage anyway.

Thanks,

HJoe
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Well Alkali Jones, here are the pics for you. Hope they are what you are looking for. The majority are of the pants inside out to show the pocket stuff.

Back Pockets
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3375/331 ... 47.jpg?v=0
Front Pockets
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/331 ... f6.jpg?v=0
Fly Area
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/331 ... 15.jpg?v=0
Button/Fly Detail
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/331 ... 3f.jpg?v=0
Hem Detail with Fabric Pants Protector?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/331 ... a8.jpg?v=0
Inside Leg stitching detail (the outside of the leg is the same as any other pants)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/331 ... c9.jpg?v=0

If you may need anything more, let me know, and I'll see what I can do for you.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

HJoe wrote:ARG!! :shock: Even after letting them know what they were handling and asking for careful treatment, the cleaners pressed the trousers with the leg seams misaligned 3 inches! The original crease was obvious!

Very disappointing....well they will be ready Monday hopefully.

Good suggestion "Indiana Mark VII", I will try the burn test, although after some research I believe them to be the real thing, maybe not 1942 but vintage anyway.

Thanks,

HJoe
Did the cleaner not align the outer and inner leg seams before pressing them?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

TheExit148 wrote: Hem Detail with Fabric Pants Protector?
That's a typical detail of military trousers. It's a wear guard of sorts at the back where the pant rubs on shoes or boots.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

No they didn't RCSignals, the seams were misaligned at least 3 inches. The strange thing is that they looked like they hung perfect on the hanger. I also noticed that they didn't completely straighten the pockets, so rinkled impression can be seen pressed in to the fabric. Maybe most people don't notice these things, but I'm an engineer by trade and precision is one of my pet peeves. Wheather I'm calibrating electronic equipment, sewing (which I do occasionally) or ironing. It's all the same to me, it needs to be right ....or don't bother.

"Quality goes in , before the name goes on"

HJoe
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Can you show pics of the outside of the pants, too? ;) Either way, they look like they may have been one of the custom tailored versions of the trousers. The material looks spot on for pinks, though.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

HJoe wrote:No they didn't RCSignals, the seams were misaligned at least 3 inches. The strange thing is that they looked like they hung perfect on the hanger. I also noticed that they didn't completely straighten the pockets, so rinkled impression can be seen pressed in to the fabric. Maybe most people don't notice these things, but I'm an engineer by trade and precision is one of my pet peeves. Wheather I'm calibrating electronic equipment, sewing (which I do occasionally) or ironing. It's all the same to me, it needs to be right ....or don't bother.

"Quality goes in , before the name goes on"

HJoe
I agree on it needing to be right. I can't believe a professional cleaner would press any pants that way.
I hope you find another cleaner who knows what's up.