Nowak Raiders #003 in special dark goat. A Beast!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Nowak Raiders #003 in special dark goat. A Beast!

Post by Raider S »

It's the jacket I've been wanting: a Nowak Raiders in dark goat. Tony said this leather has been in his shop for a number of years. He had enough for two jackets and I can only begin to describe how much character it has. The color is perfectly what I thought it should be, lots of variation, fantastic texture and an extravagant feel to it. These jackets are all unique and I don't think this one's an exception.

I did ask for a couple things. Mostly I wanted it as durable as possible, something I could travel with and not something to sit in a closet or simply be looked at. Tony has exceeded expectations and I'm thrilled. I went with facing per Tony's suggestion (and I wouldn't do it any other way) and he even got me a big, heavy duty nickel zipper. Sweet! Inside I wanted something slightly different. I don't much care for embroidery or quotes but thought about adding a flag where the logo usually is. It reminds me of blood chits from flying jackets plus there's a personal reason related to what I do abroad. It came out nicely understated. Perfecto. But Tony's logo is there and so is the normal embroidery (minus my name) - they're simply on the insides of the inner pockets. Cool! And yes, two inside pockets, one being a vertical map type.

I wanted a real-world, everyday tough as nails jacket and I feel I've gotten that in spades. It's a beast and makes the jacket I've been wearing seem like a bad dream. I'm thrilled and could ramble on and on. Tony said to beat it on the ground, wear it in the rain and abuse it. I may do that...

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Nowak Raiders #003 in special dark goat. A Beast!

Post by coronado3 »

Wow, that is a great looking hide. Love it...
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Absolutely fantastic jacket! I love the leather that you and Han were fortunate enough to get. This is a jacket that you can travel with for years and have it become that old friend.

This one knocked it out of the park, imo.
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

Beauty of a jacket, Raider. I always like hearing from people who choose practical options over the less practical yet SA options. The goat looks awesome.. nice grain to it already. Best of luck with it..

LJ
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

yowza!!! that hide looks terrific!!! i'm green with envy......man, where's that tax refund now??? :shock:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Beauuutiful. That is such a nice blend of texture, color and drape. Perfect. Tony is cleaning out his leather reserves. Honestly, the worse thing about it is we have these limited editions floating around that are so exceptional that you want to order one, but there's no more of that hide available. Makes them all the more special. Thanks for sharing pics. Sometime we'll need to get all these Nowak's together. Maybe we could make a list by number with a single pic of each.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

It's a thing of beauty. I want to see it after you've worn it for a while, it should be even better.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Very nice jacket. Looks great. You have any pictures wearing it to show the fit?
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Congratulations! You and Han scored a terrific hide. You can’t go wrong with goat and that texture looks fantastic. I love the subdued flag and embroidery, very nice.

Now let’s see some photos wearing it.

- Mac
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Nice leather, looks more SA than his "croco" version.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Congratulations on a very fine jacket !!! :clap:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Now that's the jacket I want! That is one heck of a jacket you have there treasure it lovingly bt being dragged under a truck, it looks like it it just waiting around for one. I wonder if Tony can get similiar goat hides?

Congrats!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm loving it. One of the nicest Nowak jackets I've seen to date. Just do me one favor, please. Don't beat it on the ground. :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, if my TN-1 lamb can take it, I'm sure the goat can handle it! :lol:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

But...why attempt it? :-k
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

When Tony handed me my jacket in person, he told me not to baby it. He took off his own lamb TN-1 and threw it against the parking lot once or twice to prove the point. I couldn't see any marks or tears on his jacket, so to get over the fear of babying my jacket, I took off mine and did the same thing. If you can show me where it harmed my jacket, I'll give you a hundred bucks, because I certainly couldn't find any evidence of it. There were certainly no rips or tears, and I wasn't ginger in hurling the jacket, either. (My jacket is also lightly pre-distressed by Tony so if there was anything, it blended in.) Now, I don't purposely go outside just to sling my jacket against pavement on a regular basis, nor am I saying everyone should go out and do the same, but after that, I got over my fear of wearing the jacket as I would any other. Besides, what's the difference in attitude by distressing a jacket more naturally as opposed to taking sandpaper, alcohol, acetone, pocket knives, and other abrasives to a jacket as countless here are want to do? ;)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Man, I'm loving it. I've been toying with the idea of driving down to his shop and ordering my own jacket and this might have pushed me over the top. What did you have embroidered in it and where exactly is that?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks for the response but all I did was read my credit card number over the phone, Nowak and company know their stuff.

No, I won't abuse it deliberately but do want to wear it long and hard. It's a leather jacket and that's what it's for, in my opinion. And, that's the reason I went with Nowak; if you want durable and some measure of SA your choices are limited. We'll see how it does.

This is the "one" jacket for me at this point and I don't want to keep worrying about the next "better". You know, "set it and forget it". In my mind color is a big SA factor so that's why I'm thrilled with this. The added texture and character is simply a bonus.

For those wondering if Tony will have something similar, my guess is Tony and crew have LOTS of cool stuff to blow people away: a jacket from each film, leather none of us has yet seen, and each unique. It will be a golden time for anyone wanting killer Indy jackets; if we can still even afford a loaf of bread over the coming months.

Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Hurry, and get that great TN off the floor before A5 sees how you've abused it ..... :) :)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I always hear that he does great work over the phone, but I also hear horror stories on guys getting the wrong sizes from other vendors. My son lives in the general area of the store, so I was just thinking of easing my mind and eliminating the phone calls and visiting the store and my son in one trip.
Last edited by Imahomer on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Good lord, if you live even remotely close, why would you do anything else?
I would drive 10 hours or more to see and meet Tony, and to order a jacket with a perfect fit.
Pity those of us in other parts of the world with vendors not so close! :(
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DVD Connoisseur »

_ wrote:Agreed - a well made jacket won't flinch. If you have to worry, you bought the wrong jacket.
I've found this out the hard way with one of my recent Indy jacket purchases! I wore it a handful of times to the gym and the (washed lamb) leather went. :cry:

This is one beautiful jacket, Raider S!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you work out in a leather jacket?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

DVD Connoisseur wrote:
_ wrote:Agreed - a well made jacket won't flinch. If you have to worry, you bought the wrong jacket.
I've found this out the hard way with one of my recent Indy jacket purchases! I wore it a handful of times to the gym and the (washed lamb) leather went. :cry:

This is one beautiful jacket, Raider S!
And what do you mean that the leather went. The leather went how??
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Holt wrote:you work out in a leather jacket?
:lol:

No, I wear it to and from the gym, in my car....

The leather went where the seam was, near a pocket. Just ripped clean away where the threads were. It's being repaired at the mo'. The pocket where the leather went holds my plastic entry card, nothing more. I swear, the washed lamb is the most fragile hide I've ever encountered. I'm very careful with my jackets and they're rarely worn as I have quite a few so it takes me ages to circulate them.
Last edited by DVD Connoisseur on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ok. pheew.

I just had a mentale picture.

you in tights, a sweatband and a Indy jacket with bunched up sleeevs doing arm curls.

yeah baby!

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Holt wrote:I just had a mentale picture.

you in tights, a sweatband and a Indy jacket with bunched up sleeevs doing arm curls.
Trust me, that wouldn't be a pretty picture. I only ever dress like that on a full moon.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

I love that texture. Beautiful jacket!
Raider S wrote:These jackets are all unique and I don't think this one's an exception.
Thinking too long about that statement is not recommended for the logical minded. :lol
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

DVD Connoisseur wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:you work out in a leather jacket?

No, I wear it to and from the gym, in my car....

The leather went where the seam was, near a pocket. Just ripped clean away where the threads were. It's being repaired at the mo'. The pocket where the leather went holds my plastic entry card, nothing more. I swear, the washed lamb is the most fragile hide I've ever encountered. I'm very careful with my jackets and they're rarely worn as I have quite a few so it takes me ages to circulate them.

Absolutely the fragility of the hide had something to do with your torn at the seam jacket. However the stitching also had a lot to do with it. If you don’t use the right thread or the stitches aren’t spaced properly, the thread can pull right through the leather, and not just on lambskin. The stitching is half the jacket. Most people around here don’t give the stitching due consideration when they purchase a jacket.

ps - Great Nowak. If I didn't already have two awesome goatskin G&B expos., I would really consider one.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

_ wrote:Here's the head personal trainer at the "Leather Only" fitness center...

oh…I think I just threw up a little.

Though that is incentive for me to keep going to the gym.

…back on track. Nice looking #003. Congrats.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

G&B was the other choice. I only wish they offered a bit of customization but understand why they avoid it.

I've been wearing the new jacket since the thing arrived and while Tony said it would look great after a rainstorm, all our rain is coming down frozen so I took a brief trip under the shower. It's forming nice and I simply love the sleeves. Was also worried about the lining (the cotton USW used on my cowhide ruined a spectacular jacket) but this Nowak stuff is tops.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Raider S,
That's a smok'in jacket you've got there !!!
Geeez, a couple months ago we were boasting it up for Wested's Washed Goat.

and now...

...this hobby just keeps expanding it's borders \:D/

That hide is amazing !!!
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Great jacket!! Congrats...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You all can say whateeeeeeeever you want to try to make sense of thrashing your jacket against the ground but it will never make sense to me. I may have acetoned my jackets and lightly taken a fine grit sandpaper to them but I don't think thats a fair comparrison and stop at slapping it onto concrete nomatter who says it can take it. I don't even use my bull whips on concrete and thats some strong leather right there.

I just have this picture in my head of Tony and a bunch of you outside the QM slapping your jackets on the ground. Can you imagine what passerby's would think? Yes...they'd think you're a bit loco.

"Hey, I just paid $1000 for this jacket. I think I'll bash it on the concrete! Awesome idea!" :rolling:

Doesn't sound, well...sound.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, I don't know. Seems like pretty savy marketing to me. The sooner you wear them out, the sooner you might order another one. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I never thought of it that way. It is pretty ingenious then, isn't it? :D Gotta give Tony more credit once again. :tup:

"He, he, he...Indygear suckers..." 8)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

The actual act of beating a jacket on the ground is a rather silly notion albeit fine salesmanship. But I certainly won't baby a jacket no matter how much the cost. Maybe it's fairer when Tony describes it as "worry free".

Nothing won't break, however. If you've used body armor it's made to stop a bullet - high velocity bullets depending on the protection level - but you need to treat the Kevlar and trauma plates with respect - they aren't indestructible in themselves.

I’m not into distressing and unfortunately there’s no good way to have a much-worn ten-year-old jacket without wearing it for ten years. Well, maybe you could do eight years then lie about the other two!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Goatskin can take it for sure. I really would never ever give a goatskin jacket a second thought when roughhousing. Lambskin on the other hand is just too delicate to treat poorly. It gets the lived in look quickly and easily just by wearing it.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

agent5 wrote:I never thought of it that way. It is pretty ingenious then, isn't it? :D Gotta give Tony more credit once again. :tup:

"He, he, he...Indygear suckers..." 8)
You are joking I'm sure.

It isn't Tony's point to purposely 'trash' or 'thrash' one his jackets. His point is to not baby it and not be afraid to wear and use it. He makes them for real world use wear and tear, not just to be a delicate item of fashion.
He may have hit his own jacket on the ground, but it's not a clever marketing ploy. Remember he did it with B(r)ink after the jacket was purchased not before.

Anyone who has one of his jackets and has talked to him can confirm that about what Tony means.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

IndyFalco wrote:Raider S,
That's a smok'in jacket you've got there !!!
Geeez, a couple months ago we were boasting it up for Wested's Washed Goat.

and now...

...this hobby just keeps expanding it's borders \:D/

That hide is amazing !!!
Just for the record, DVDC's jacket was washed lamb, not goat!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

RCSignals wrote:You are joking I'm sure.
I know I was. That's why I added the winking smilie at the end of my post.

Regards! Michaelson
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Just curious, what's the main difference between this goat and the "regular" goat Tony uses?
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

_ wrote:Here's the head personal trainer at the "Leather Only" fitness center...

So, this was the guy that gave birth to the octuplets, right?! :lol:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

PSBIndy wrote:Just curious, what's the main difference between this goat and the "regular" goat Tony uses?
It's something he's had for about 15 years and there was enough for two jackets. It's darker than the goat he's used on previous Raiders jackets and had a bit more texture. I don't know what the tanning process was, but my photos don't do justice to the character and true color. His other goat, speaking color only, are more of a definite brown and favor the reddish tones more.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Well, I'm loving this jacket. Thinking about selling and getting what I can for my Gibson & Barnes and then motoring down south to see Tony.

Mike
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

This really is a gorgeous jacket and I love the flag patch. It is also great to have Tony's tag on that jacket as well. I love how accomodating he is. And yes, I agree with others who have said this - this is one of the finest looking Nowak jackets I have seen to date.

By the way - how did you find out about this hide?
best
Canada
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Imahomer wrote:Well, I'm loving this jacket. Thinking about selling and getting what I can for my Gibson & Barnes and then motoring down south to see Tony.

Mike

I made the choice to keep my goat G&B because from what I've read and can see here, the TN's are almost the same as the G&B.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

CM wrote:
Imahomer wrote:Well, I'm loving this jacket. Thinking about selling and getting what I can for my Gibson & Barnes and then motoring down south to see Tony.

Mike

I made the choice to keep my goat G&B because from what I've read and can see here, the TN's are almost the same as the G&B.
Yeah exactly even they way the pocketflaps are constructed!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

That would be a very hard choice for me. I love my Nowaks (CS and shrunken lamb) but I really love my G and B as well. In fact, I'm all about jacket love. :[