Indy's flash light. New Gear.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

So what's the general feeling around here to which torch is near enough SA? Or is this a case of everyone having their own opinion as to which is SA?
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Indiana MarkVII wrote:This is a bit of a late response to the question about my flashlight. Yes, is is an antique that I bought in a collection off of eBay a while back. There were several different styles and sizes in the batch, but that was the one that I wanted out of the set. I just checked the end cap and for some reason, I'm not sure that Indy would have had this one in his bag. The one in my photo was made in Hong Kong.
I just noticed that you have the exact same flashlight that I have. I've had it for quite a while now. What is interesting is that little bit of red "light artifact" that shows up in the pic in Tym's posting could very well be the little red button that sits forward of the on/off switch on our flashlights. For those who don't have one, that button is a momentary switch that will flash the light on when the slider switch is in the middle position.

This flashlight seems VERY close to Indy's light, although it just doesn't completely click with me. It's plenty good for a close-enough though, and anyone would be challenged to tell the difference based on what can be seen in the film.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

For a crummy little flashlight, that plays such a minor role? Close enough is fine with me.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Imahomer wrote:For a crummy little flashlight, that plays such a minor role? Close enough is fine with me.
Exactly. From all the info that you can find online, this seems to be it. Again, regarding the red indicator light, I believe that the slide switch in that 1 photo is located between his index and middle fingers and that "red light" is just a coincidental glare off one of the silver stripes. When I hold the flashlight that way, I hold it with the slider between those fingers so my index finger can push the "signal" button more easily...but that's just me.

These pop up all the time on E-bay...just look for a few days and one will be there...there might be on on there now!
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

jedidentist wrote:
Imahomer wrote:For a crummy little flashlight, that plays such a minor role? Close enough is fine with me.
Exactly. From all the info that you can find online, this seems to be it. Again, regarding the red indicator light, I believe that the slide switch in that 1 photo is located between his index and middle fingers and that "red light" is just a coincidental glare off one of the silver stripes. When I hold the flashlight that way, I hold it with the slider between those fingers so my index finger can push the "signal" button more easily...but that's just me.

These pop up all the time on E-bay...just look for a few days and one will be there...there might be on on there now!
For me, like all the other gear, it is the quest for the "correct answer" to the mystery. I'd just like to know - I don't HAVE to have the exact one.

Oh drat. I do. ;-)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

That's one of the many things I like about this hobby. You can go on an all out search for a "SA" flashlight, or you can settle for a cheap idol. It's all personal choice and there are no rules.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Great screen shot! Thank you.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy's flash light. New Gear.

Post by jedidentist »

SOB :x ...nice pic. As I posted a long time ago...I knew there was an extra "step" near the "head" of the light, and not smooth like the other flashlights we all have. After having previously scoured all of the online resources out there, I have no clue what type it is because there isn't anything pictured out there like it. Maybe something will pop up on E-bay some time and we can all finally figure this out. Leave it to LF to come up with another rare, "common" item. :?
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

Great screen shot! I got a Blue Ray this week and have been looking at the flashlight frame by frame, but you can see more detail on your capture.

Perhaps it was made for the movie like the other lantern was...?

HJoe
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

At 51:05 when Indy is looking at the seven mummy's, the end of the flashlight is turned toward the camera. I can see some writing on it, but cant read it. Can anyone else make it out?

HJoe
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

jedidentist wrote:SOB :x ...nice pic. As I posted a long time ago...I knew there was an extra "step" near the "head" of the light, and not smooth like the other flashlights we all have. After having previously scoured all of the online resources out there, I have no clue what type it is because there isn't anything pictured out there like it. Maybe something will pop up on E-bay some time and we can all finally figure this out. Leave it to LF to come up with another rare, "common" item. :?
It's either a step or some sort of knurled grip. I've seen some that are very close on eBay, but nothing exactly the same. Is the body of the flashlight black or dark green?

If we could get a Blu-Ray screencap of the battery cap writing, that would probably seal the deal. :tup:
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Just an idea; Is it possible that they took parts from different flashlights and assembled them to make the one Indy uses? I'm sure the parts (head, body, end cap) are probably interchangable for a lot of different flashlights. That could explain why we can't find one exactly the same. Maybe we need to start looking at the individual pieces to find a match.

Also here is a pic of mine. It is a "Parrot" trade mark. "Power Chief" NU. 3395 made by Chung Nam Spotlight Flashlight Factory Hong Kong. Pretty close, so good enough for now.

RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Wow, that REALLY looks close. Congrats! Have you got a link or contact for the company?

RaiderZee
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I just think it is so weird how so many of the props in the Indy movies are so ordinary looking, yet not ordinary at all. I am seriously starting to think that LF takes the simplest item and tweaks it in the slightest way just because they have money to do it.

Nibs
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Sometimes I wonder if they purposfully tweak things so that some company can't take credit for providing a certain prop and then profit from it by sales outside of the movie makers control. Or maybe they just do it to irk gearheads like us!!

My "Parrot" flashlight I got off ebay. It is vintage and looks to be from the 50's or 60's. The box is very fragile and is falling apart in some areas. It does look close but I will keep on searching for a perfect match.

tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

Indiana Bond wrote:Just an idea; Is it possible that they took parts from different flashlights and assembled them to make the one Indy uses? I'm sure the parts (head, body, end cap) are probably interchangable for a lot of different flashlights. That could explain why we can't find one exactly the same. Maybe we need to start looking at the individual pieces to find a match.
My first thought is that the light is a found object; with so many flashlight manufacturers over the years, finding the exact model used in the movie could easily be nearly impossible.

Then again, in movie-land, everything's done differently, so who knows. Maybe it was some custom-made item, much like the gas lamp that Mutt carries in the same scene.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

The flashlight is very bright in the sceens and the lamp that Mutt used had a very bright quartz light used for filming, so the flashlight may have been modified to accomodate a higher output.
From what little experience I have shooting film, it takes a lot of light for correct exposures, I really doubt that a standard flashlight would show up much on film.

HJoe
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

I've contacted David McLellan at Flashlightmuseum.com regarding the identification of the flashlight. He told me that he has had other inquiries regarding the flashlight but without some better photos of the switch mechanism and the end cap he cannot make a positive I.D. at this time. So lets see if we can get some hi def screen captures off a blu-ray disc.

His site http://www.Flashlightmuseum.com is very informative with hundreds and hundreds of great photos. Here is the link to the almost 700 two cell flashlights he has identified!

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/flashli ... 202%20Cell

As far as the brightness of the lights is concerned, I also noticed that the light was very bright and also very "white". Most of the older lights always had a "yellowish" light color. Creating the bright white light color could be easily done by simply replacing the bulbs with modern Halogen bulbs, and I suspect this is what was done.

Anyone out there with the capability of getting hi-def blu-ray screen captures lets see if we can a shot of the end cap. HJoe mentioned that at 51:05 you can see the end cap with some markings. So let's see if we can get a shot of that.

We have solved many other prop mysteries of the past. I'm sure we will figure this one out too!!

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I can't go frame by frame and pausing the film at the right moment proved unsuccessful. The end cap seems to be visible when Indy puts the flashlight in his pocket while examining the first mummy.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

I have a PS3 that I am using to play the Blue Ray disc. Does anyone know how to do a screen capture with a PS3?

HJoe
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

I have been studying the screen shot that VP posted and just realized that the bands look painted white as compared to the ends that look like chrome. I don't believe I have seen any flashlight with that type of design.

HJoe
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

The Flashlight Museum is where I did most of my research months ago...and is where the photos I posted come from. I found nothing there with the knurled/raised lip near the flashlight head that accompanied a 2 cell light. I also looked at all of the 3 cells. I personally don't think that they would have bothered to Frankenstein several flashlights together, however they added a leather strap to the MKVII and altered the backpack, so I wouldn't put it past them. I also don't believe them to be painted white lines...I found no flashlights with that pattern...they're all chrome...I believe it just to be a lighting anomaly.
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

jedidentist wrote:I also don't believe them to be painted white lines...I found no flashlights with that pattern...they're all chrome...I believe it just to be a lighting anomaly.
I agree. They might be some sort of applied chrome marking, causing them to reflect light differently than the end cap.

Are we fairly certain that it's a two D-cell light? Looks that way to me.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Well I just picked this flashlight up from eBay:

It's never been used, company name is "Terra". They only have 3 lights by Terra on the Flashlight Museum web page, and none are even close to this. It looks pretty close to me, except of course the color. A little matte black paint and I'm good to go, until someone can positively ID the real deal.

RaiderZee
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

That works for me Raider Zee. Can you post an after paint job photo?
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Will do, but it might be a few have to wait a little while. I'm falling behind on the honey-do list, which I assure you doesn't include painting a flashlight.

RZ
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

LOL... :rolling: I know that only tooooo well!
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

BTW, more of these Terra flashlights are up on that auction site. Search and ye shall find.

RZ
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

I just won this Eveready on eBay. Not SA, but "close enough."

I also have my eye on another flashlight from a different maker; I might buy that one too.
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

That looks like the same one I have. 1952 Eveready Art Deco. All original except I upgraded the bulb to an LED:

RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Here's the paint job on my Terra flashlight:

It needs some fine adjustments but, for now, it will pass the 5-foot test. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this item.

RaiderZee
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Nice job Raider Zee! I like the light.. May I ask how much the flashlight cost?

Randy
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

That is a nice job..certainly not that easy masking it off, for sure.

Randy-There are many different makers of basically the same type of flashlight. Just keep checking E-bay for "vintage flashlight" and you'll find them. I'd say it'll run you $10-40, depending on what you find. Mine cost more, but I got it in a lot with 10 other really cool vintage lights.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Thanks for the compliments. The taping was a bit of a pain but not too bad. I used Krylon flat enamel; if I had to do it again I'd use semi gloss. I got the light from eBay for $18.95 including shipping.

RZ
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I just got this off "The Bay", B.I.N. for $7.99 shipped. I think I saw two more just like it.

Mike

HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re:

Post by HJoe »

VP wrote:Image
I think I may have found the correct flashlight on Fleebay. It is a new vintage style bicycle flashlight with mount. I purchased one and compared it to this photo and it looks correct minus the paint. It has tiny ridges running the length which could explain the difference in the way the chrome metal reflects between the black lines.

I'll try to post a picture when I figure out how.

Does anyone know if the photo "VP" posted can be seen in a higher resolution?

HJoe
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I'm interested to see what you found. Can you at least post an auction link?
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

This is what I bought, when I hold the flashlight up to the screen shot, every ripple and bump looks the same.
Minus the paint.
I think I can see the place for the pull out hook and the very small flat spots around the lens.
The switch is the same, but the button is red. That could have been painted as well.

HJoe

(Mod edit: No posting of eBay links that are not your own auction as per the rules: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9524 )
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

I went ahead and picked one of those up also. I do agree the shape looks correct. Perhaps they used a different body with the black paint. Shouldn't be too hard to do a paint job. We will see when it gets here!

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The switch seems to be the same as in the movie, not sure about the rest.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Here are some pics from the ebay listing.

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

jedidentist wrote:I'm interested to see what you found. Can you at least post an auction link?
Nope. Reread the rules regarding eBay links:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9524
COW Admin wrote:Please DO NOT post ebay ads. We feel this causes a run on auctions and could falsely inflate the price for other members who may be in the bidding.

EXCEPTION to this rule:
If the item is your own

DO NOT POST AUCTIONS THAT ARE NOT YOURS. If you do post links to active auctions other than your own, the link WILL BE DELETED.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

How can the price be falsely inflated if it's a Buy It Now only auction?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

EXCEPTION to this rule:
If the item is your own

DO NOT POST AUCTIONS THAT ARE NOT YOURS. If you do post links to active auctions other than your own, the link WILL BE DELETED.
The rule seems pretty straightforward to me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep.

To quote a friend who was talking about this very thing :
I know I'd be ticked off if I see something by chance, then miss out on a one off item if someone's posted it here and created a run on it.
So, the rule pretty much covers that avenue as well.

If it isn't your auction, don't post it. Period.

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Understood. This guy is a vendor though.
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

If it's any consolation, I found it in about 8.3254 seconds... It's the only listing when using the description from the post above.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Descriptions have been allowed, just not direct links.

This is pretty standard among various boards. With a description, it takes someone who is genuinely interested in an item the effort to still go and search for it, thus not making it simple for auction snipers.

The rule is as stands, so lets not belabor it and get back to point. Thanks.