Simply JPD....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Jersey, "What a incredible smell you've discovered."

Re: Simply JPD....

Post by thedurdens »

Jimmy is based out of Texas. His liners say Ft. Worth, but his site states Glen Rose.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

His website says Glen Rose, Texas...

Ooops... thedurdens just said that...
Well, I concure.
:D

Say, Michaelson, where would you say that IS, exactly?
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I believe that's just outside Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Has anyone tryed to write an actual letter to him?
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

No, nor carrier pigeon, semaphone, teletype, smoke signals or a plane pulling a banner. (deep breath)

Sorry IJ91, not upset with YOU.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

IJ91 still makes a good point, though... so, that's exactly what I'm going to do today:
I'll print some of what I've already written here in this forum and also add a little bit of "And Jimmy, just so you're aware..." stuff about some of what's being discussed here... (nothing any of you may have discussed with me in private :#: , just some reference to what's being said HERE at C.O.W.)

But here's the next little twist...

I just went to the JPD Website to confirm the Mailing Address and what do I see on the Main Page?
"Do to the ecomony going the way it is, I have to find a full time job. I will be limiting my hat production to 150 this year, 3 per week. I will be keeping a list and when it is full, it is full."
:shock:
I don't think I saw that the last time I was there.
Does anyone else here know long that message has been there?
Was I just not paying attention?

Either way...
:roll:

Letter goes out today.
Stay tuned.
:(
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I was at his site a week to 10 days ago and that message was up.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks Jeff.
I suppose it doesn't change anything really... I'd just hoped that if he'd only recently added that message to his website that it might mean he was addressing certain issues and "seeing" to things.
But clearly it also means he's got a lot on his plate.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndianaJack91 wrote:Has anyone tryed to write an actual letter to him?
I suggested that last Thursday. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

True, you did...
I thought I'd try (in vain, as it turns out) these other methods first... all to no avail.
:(
But surely, Michaelson this can't be the first time this has happened to you where it takes a full week for your sound, common-sense advice to sink into the thick skull of an unwavering and foolhardy optimist... CAN it?
;)
Having (re)learned this lesson, let me now say to others who may read this:
When Michaelson gives you a tasty tidbit of his years of knowledge and "KNOWING of STUFF"... do yourself a favor: simply follow his advice.
You'll be glad you did.
:)

My letter gets dropped into the mailbox in 1 hour & 10 minutes.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

Yep. Just ask my kids. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey everyone,
Just a (somewhat) quick note to let you know that I DID mail the letter (now I'll shut-up for a while on this subject)...
:#:

Something I need to make you aware of, however:
The re-cap letter I sent Jimmy (pretty much a Cut'n'Paste job of the one I'd already e-mailed him) ends with this statement:

Obviously, if you’ve already sent me a Refund Money Order and THIS letter “passes it” in transit, please disregard the above... but please note that there are still others who frequent the Club Obi Wan Forums who have similar concerns and whom you will want to contact.
While there MAY be many other, more “silent” Members... some of the (User)names I’m aware of are:
ReturningSon
RaiderZee

and
thedurdens
Please contact these folks who - like myself - are exercising a lot of patience while waiting to be contacted by you.

Sincerely,
Fox Lidstone (a.k.a. Club Obi Wan Username "Mitch LaRue")

I hope neither RS, RZ or thedurdens minds me mentioning them "by name"... but I wanted to make every effort to get our concerns on the table, so to speak. I realize it's a little late to ask if you mind me mentioning you but I wanted to let you know that it DOES now occur to me that I should have done so first.
:oops:

All the Best,
"Mitch"
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Definitely not a problem, Mitch. I have still been trying to contact via phone at different times and was really hoping that we would have heard something. BTW that message that Jimmy has on his site is I believe from January. I wil let all know if I hear something of course.

Thanks again,
Frank
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Thank for sending the letter Mitch!

RZ
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

yes thanks! 8)
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Perhaps this is not the best time, or maybe it is while we wait, but I have finally gotten around to taking some pics of my gear. My camera skills are nonexistent but these shots are of my first hat from Jimmy.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... MG1617.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... MG1623.jpg
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

thedurdens - the hat looks great but let's see it on!

Ryan
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Awww... there's NEVER a wrong time for a shot of a great hat!
(And Jimmy DOES make beautiful hats - from what I can see - you'll get no arguement from Me on THAT!)
:)
Ryan's RIGHT though, beautiful lid is always represented BEST when it's sittin' on top of someone's noggin...
Any chance you could share a few of THOSE with us?
Always a fan of a JPD Fedora,
Mitch
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

still waitin...... :roll:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Hi Guys,

I'm just now catching up on my forum reading and I don't honestly know what to say....I feel somewhat guilty, because I started this thread in an effort to help, and was hoping it could be a good jumpstart for Jimmy, a way to get things going on the right foot, so to speak.

You have had some grief in getting what you ordered, and I know it must be trying your patience, but I truely hope you will soon receive the nice hat you ordered, or that the matter can be resolved to your satisfaction.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Whoa, TS...
I'm pretty sure I speak for the other folks-in-waiting here when I say that I certainly don't begrudge you trying to drum up some enthusiasm for Jimmy's fine hats by starting this thread!
I've appreciated this thread as a perfect "one stop" for great photos of JPD's hats ever since you started it...And none of this unfortunate waiting and lack of communication reflects poorly on you... OR even lessens my appreciation for what fine hats Jimmy makes.
Seriously...No worries, Tex.
All you did here was be a stand up guy and start a thread that really showed off (and showcased) how beautiful Jimmy's hats ARE.
Cheers,
Mitch
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

I would add something, but I think Mitch summed it up completely.

Kudos,
Frank
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Ditto, TR. You did fine, and did Jimmy a big service.

RaiderZee
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

So, did anyone recieve any contact? jimmy stated that if he didn't ship my hat out by the end of the week he would refund and its been three weeks since then....with no further contact... ](*,) ](*,)
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Try calling him :-k although something doesn't seem right...
RD623
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by RD623 »

Greetings All,

I too have been waiting for my cury felt from JPD. My problem is compounded by the fact that , along with my hat order (October 4th, I believe) I asked Jimmy to clean and block my prized HJ. I forwarded my very expensive Herbert Johnson to him and he promised to return both in four weeks in the same box as a way to save shipping.
I have been able to contact him early on in this process. And I even received an email from him on January 22nd apologizing for the delay and that the hats would ship on Monday, January 26th. Today Febuary 26th, still no hats!!! A couple of days ago I replied to his last correspondance indicating I hadn't received my shipment and maybe a trace should be started. I have heard nothing. I am an optimistic sort, so I'm still hopeful for a positive outcome. But as hopeful as I am, I must admit, I'm also very nervous.
Frankly, I don't know what my next step is going to be. :oops:

Luck to us all!

Ron
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I hate to suggest this, but if you paid through Paypal, maybe you should file a complaint with them. That is a sure fire way to get his attention if he is not returning your messages.

Dave
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

RD623 wrote:Greetings All,

I too have been waiting for my cury felt from JPD. My problem is compounded by the fact that , along with my hat order (October 4th, I believe) I asked Jimmy to clean and block my prized HJ. I forwarded my very expensive Herbert Johnson to him and he promised to return both in four weeks in the same box as a way to save shipping.
I have been able to contact him early on in this process. And I even received an email from him on January 22nd apologizing for the delay and that the hats would ship on Monday, January 26th. Today Febuary 26th, still no hats!!! A couple of days ago I replied to his last correspondance indicating I hadn't received my shipment and maybe a trace should be started. I have heard nothing. I am an optimistic sort, so I'm still hopeful for a positive outcome. But as hopeful as I am, I must admit, I'm also very nervous.
Frankly, I don't know what my next step is going to be. :oops:

Luck to us all!

Ron
WHOA!!! Jeez, I would be wigging out. I paid through cheque so I cant file a paypal complaint. Um...Jimmy really...and I mean really..needs to get on these boards and quell some of this stuff. I understand he has ADD or something along those lines and I do understand its hard to juggle the hobby with the job and the life but hey, 5 months of waiting without sufficient contact is when I lose it. Ron, I would be freaking out if I had sent my HJ and haven't gotten a response. I think the best course of action would be for jimmy to annouce his situation on these boards and then contact each one of us individually. We've sent letters (thanks Mr. La Rue), called (i have called at least 10 times this month alone) and sent emails (dont ask how many...) So, like you Ron, I really dont know what else to do? :| :x :x
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Well boys, I've contacted my bank to take action on the charges for my hat order from December. I know most of you have waited longer than I have, but I just do not have confidence in this transaction. This is based on statements Jimmy made at the beginning of January to me and other customers that appear to contradict each other. I'll let you know if Jimmy surfaces as a result of this action.

RZ
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I hope he's ok.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

I hope Jimmy's OK too, BigRex. And I would still drop all this an a NY minute and wait patiently for my great JPD hat if he'd just contact me. I'm really not mad, just EXTREMELY perturbed. The whole thing is bizarre; I feel like I ordered a hat from Jimmy Hoffa or Amelia Earhardt.

RZ
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

RaiderZee wrote:I hope Jimmy's OK too, BigRex. And I would still drop all this an a NY minute and wait patiently for my great JPD hat if he'd just contact me. I'm really not mad, just EXTREMELY perturbed. The whole thing is bizarre; I feel like I ordered a hat from Jimmy Hoffa or Amelia Earhardt.

RZ
Same here zee. Jimmy contacted me four weeks ago saying that if he didn't get my hat out, he would refund, to which I replied I would rather have the hat than the money! I sent him another email through his site saying that he should come on these boards first to quell everyone and then contact use individually. One simply post is not too much to ask. I do hope he's ok and not involved in an accident or something...
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey folks,
I just mentioned this to ReturningSon in a pm but thought I'd share it here as well.

I don't know if it'll "read" as though I'm taking a shot at Jimmy - don't really care that much either, to be frank - but for the record, I'm only trying to be "tongue-in-cheek"
...or maybe even tongue "out-of-cheek" - as in: :P

I noticed this morning that gabrielle has a JPD Size 7&1/8 up for bid on eBay (link in the Cairo Bazaar)... and the post reads:

"This is a very nice fedora and there is no wait time to get it!!!"

Yeah...No kidding.
:roll:

But seriously, if this is your size - and your waiting - you might want to think about this.
Cuz despite all of this, you will never hear me say that Jimmy's hats aren't beautiful and worth owning.
(I'd love to do that someday myself, actually...)
All the Best,
Mitch
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I noticed this morning that gabrielle has a JPD Size 7&1/8 up for bid on eBay (link in the Cairo Bazaar)... and the post reads:

"This is a very nice fedora and there is no wait time to get it!!!"

Yeah...No kidding.
Read that as well, don't think Gabrielle meant it that way tbh, all custom made hats have a wait time, well, because there custom. You can be as tonge and cheek as you like, but probably shouldn't infer something like that from other posts, which aren't meant to be read in the light your spinning them.

Cheers
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

No, no... I agree...
(*Sheeesh*)
For the record, I'm sure gabrielle didn't mean it in the smart-"alec" way I meant it... I'M sure that of the two of us, I'M the only, uh... "grumpy-gus" here...
(MODS: really? No foul language at ALL?)
:P
Sorry gabrielle, if you - or anyone - thought I was using my skillful spin-doctoring to bring you down to my level...
#-o
Cheers, folks...
Mitch
;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mitch LaRue wrote:(MODS: really? No foul language at ALL?)

Cheers, folks...
Mitch
;)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28929

No.

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yeah... I know...
Good thing you MODS have the "cooler heads that always prevail" that I'm always hearin' talk of...
:?

(But for the record, in the post I made - above - I was only feelin' the temptation to use an... "unwelcome word" to refer to myself... STILL no excuse, I know... just thought I'd clarify...)
:-
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

still nothing! :Dietrich:
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Still place periodic phone calls and still the same situation. Has anyone heard anything? A response to Mitch's letter, etc.?

Thanks,
Frank
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

nope.....at least not on my end! :P
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Nothing on my end, either... I'm sorry to say.
:|
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Get ready to come down hard on me with accusations of ruining a guy's livelihood, Dutch_jones...
(... Cuz you're not gonna like THIS one.)

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you all know about this little "development"...

Received a pm from one of you earlier.
For the benefit of others here I'll simply say the person who contacted me is a nice, straightforward guy who's in the same boat as a number of us here (waiting on a hat from Jimmy / no reply to repeated attempts to communicate with him, etc.)

This person received A Hat yesterday from JPD.

Their pm went into some detail about the hat...

Not meaning to "talk out of school", but this person finished their e-mail with these words:
"In addition, what should I/could I tell those folks on the board who I've been discussing this with, those who are in the same boat as far as waiting forever, including some waiting months more than me? I don't want to flame JP, but at the same time this is ridiculous and I feel those other folks need to know what has happened."

I'd also like to say, this anonymous C.O.W. Member has tried at every turn to spare Jimmy's feeling (in messages posted here in this thread as well as in pm's where he has also spoken of Jimmy with respect and always offered him the benefit of the doubt).
So, I'll repeat that he seems like a nice guy...

But I'm not necessarily AS nice.

Sharing with all of you the content of his pm to me - with the details of his hat - is, of course HIS decision and I will therefore not share it here... I will, however respond to his pm as an open letter for all of you to read...

Interpret what you will.

"Jeez, this is really too bad, Anonymous Fellow C.O.W. Member...
And I'm honestly not sure what you could/should do (or rather, TRY to do) next.
Do you send it back to him with a list of grievances and either demand a hat that matches your specs (and the level of quality one would expect from him) or demand a REFUND?

You and I both know that either of these options simply means MORE waiting and impossible communications!

BUT:
Sharing information with other members of these boards who have common interests (and investments) is one of the great things forums like these can be used for.

What can you do for yourself?
The honest truth is... I'm not sure.

What can you do to benefit others here?
I urge you to start a new thread (this time, The Vendors Section) perhaps titled something like "Jimmy Pierce: WHAT Happened?!" and feel free to post photos and tell your story THERE so that others might, in the very least, "Proceed With Caution".

For many folks here, the deal is done and it's all in Jimmy's hands: the money's been sent... the cheque - or Money Order - has been cashed and NOW Jimmy (who can't be reached) gets to make the next move...
But some folks here might at least be forewarned as to how things might be about to play out for them.

For me, my next move is...
I'm sending (once again) an e-mail to Jimmy through his website which says:
Jimmy I want to be clear:
You should NOT still be trying to send me a fedora.
As my previous e-mail(s), written letter and several posts I've made publicly on the Club Obi Wan Thread "Simply JPD" indicate (INSIST): I'm canceling my order.
PLEASE send me a REFUND.
DON'T send me a hat.
You've missed the deadline that YOU indicated in our initial discussion.
If you send me a hat I will not accept, sign for it or open it.
I will tell me Post Office "Please mark that 'Return To Sender'" and walk away from it.
(I AM sincerely sorry if personal issues of yours have prevented any sooner resolution to this matter... really. But I'm standing firm on this):
DON'T send me a hat.
You'd be wasting your valuable time in doing so.
PLEASE send me a REFUND.
Looking forward to getting that Refund from you SOON.
Many Thanks, etc, etc.

One last note, Anonymous Fellow C.O.W. Member:
I'm posting something on the "JPD" thread on this matter. I hope you don't feel that I'm betraying your confidence... I'll help to keep your identity anonymous if that's what you prefer... but I wan't to at least share my comments on this matter.
All the Best,
Mitch"

Thoughts?
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thedurdens »

Just read that through and it seems fine to me, Mitch. Does this mean that Jimmy is simply not responding to any communication? I was quite concerned about Jimmy and his saying nothing really just makes things worse. Like I have said about myself, it is not the wait but the wondering about what is going on that causes the frustrations.

](*,) Frank
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Ok, couple of questions..

If you can say, how long did Mr. X wait for this hat? Months? Furthermore, he recieved no notice that the hat was in transit, just showed up on his doorstep?

This gives me hope. Maybe Jimmy is just shelling these things out and shipping them without notice (which is a bad idea, AT LEAST give us aheads up) but maybe this is a good sign (we know hes not incapacitated).

To be frank, I would love to recieve my hat over my refund. I really would and I have told Jimmy this numerous times. If my hat might be on my doorstep within two weeks, then I will gladly take it and that will be the end of it. However, if I need to wait 2-4 months for it, then give me my refund and I will go buy a henry.

Either way, Jimmy needs and i mean NEEDS!!!! to get on these boards and let everyone know whats going on!

Thanks for the update Mitch! :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If I'm reading Mitch's post correctly, what's worse is the hat that was received is not what was ordered. So now, the COW member has a hat, but not the hat s/he wanted.

Frustrated for all of you,

Indiana Jeff
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, when I said I would rather have my hat than a refund...what I mean was I would rather THE RIGHT HAT rather than a refund. Its been a long time since I have sent jimmy my info. I hope he gets it right! :roll:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Folks, I'm the one who got the hat from JP yesterday. Mitch's posts are OK, but please hold off on speculating about my situation until I get back to you, which I will ASAP. I'm consulting with the COW moderators before I post anything further. I just want to handle this the right way.

RaiderZee
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

In keeping with RZ's request, I am hereby
on this matter until decisions are made by those with the say-so.
Mitch
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

yes, please keep us updated Zee..Thanks

RS :anxious: