How long jacket length?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

How long jacket length?

Post by misfit »

How long should the jacket be in the body? I just got a us wings jacket and it fits great but it just seems a little long in the body what do you guys think?

By steven36

By steven36
hikz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: How long?

Post by hikz »

Hi mate, Both my jackets are on the shorter side, but I guess it down to personal preference

cheers
jamie
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

US Wings Indys do run long and baggy; I think its generally recommended to go down your regular size and perhaps order the long/tall if you have a long torso/arms to get a more fitted look.

I prefer my jackets in general to have short bodies and long arms; but I do find myself pulling out my Wings when it get really cold and I need to layer.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

your jacket looks a little big, but not too bad, the sleeves look pushed up are they long on you a tailor can fix that. I think if you went smaller it might be too small. wings sizes vary, I got a large and it was hudge but then a got a medium and it fit just right,(till I got fatter now it's tight, but since I'm back to work I feel I get back into to it soon.)otherwise nice jacket and enjoy.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

anyone requesting opinions on jacket length really REALLY need to tuck in their shirts :P
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

Piers wrote:anyone requesting opinions on jacket length really REALLY need to tuck in their shirts :P
lol true :o
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Just another reason to have measurements posted on a vendor's site, sigh. I guess we need to corner them on the phone and have them drop everything, pull out their tape measure and do measurements over the phone, double sigh. [-X #-o :tdown: Wherere DID I put those happy pills?!...fidgit. :lol:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's all about what you want, really. In terms of strict screen accuracy, a US Wings length will only be right as a Crystal Skull jacket. And even then, as an off-the-rack item, it does not account for the fact that not everyone's waist is in the same place, even if they wear the same size.

SA Indy jackets tend to be short. Too short, in my opinion. Only a very small portion of people look right in a jacket that short, and the bigger you are built, the worse it gets. I love the fit of a US Wings, and I even have a custom Magnoli that asked to be made longer than normal.

So, my final verdict summation; The jacket looks like it fits you correctly, but is not SA to the first 3 films.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

according to platon, that jacket is still too short :P :P :P (sorry buddy, couldn't resist).

if you want SA, and you already have an SA bag, the jacket should almost cover the snaps....if you are wearing an SA gun rig, the holster should easily be accessible through the side vent. if that still doesn't apply, use a cell phone/blackberry clipped to your belt. if you can clear the holster easily, it's about the right length.....at least that's what my TN gives me.
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

bigrex wrote:Just another reason to have measurements posted on a vendor's site, sigh. I guess we need to corner them on the phone and have them drop everything, pull out their tape measure and do measurements over the phone, double sigh. [-X #-o :tdown: Wherere DID I put those happy pills?!...fidgit. :lol:
Well let me see? I went off their sizing chart, sent them an email and then double checked to make sure, I was getting the right size. So doing my home work still got me a jacket that was too big. Besides Last time I checked answering questions from customers was their job they do sell jackets after all.
Last edited by misfit on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:It's all about what you want, really. In terms of strict screen accuracy, a US Wings length will only be right as a Crystal Skull jacket. And even then, as an off-the-rack item, it does not account for the fact that not everyone's waist is in the same place, even if they wear the same size.

SA Indy jackets tend to be short. Too short, in my opinion. Only a very small portion of people look right in a jacket that short, and the bigger you are built, the worse it gets. I love the fit of a US Wings, and I even have a custom Magnoli that asked to be made longer than normal.

So, my final verdict summation; The jacket looks like it fits you correctly, but is not SA to the first 3 films.
The front of a Crystal Skull jacket is about the same length as the front of a Raider jacket. (going by the TN Crystal Skull jacket and the original Raider jacket TN had to copy) The rear of a Crystal Skull jacket is longer than a Raider jacket but about the same as a ToD or LC jacket back length.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

RCSignals wrote: The front of a Crystal Skull jacket is about the same length as the front of a Raider jacket. (going by the TN Crystal Skull jacket and the original Raider jacket TN had to copy) The rear of a Crystal Skull jacket is longer than a Raider jacket but about the same as a ToD or LC jacket back length.

Maybe that's what the measurement bear out, but one look at HF in each film tells a different story to my eyes. And let's face it, he does not have the same body he had in Raiders. So, if what you say is true, it just proves the concept that it's as much about the body wearing the clothes as the clothes themselves! ;)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The thing about US Wings (and anyone else that sells S,M,L,XL sizes for that matter) is that you are only going to get fitted so well. With many jackets, S,M,L,XL cuts it fine. But Indiana Jones jackets often times need to be fitted more than that. The length issue is a personal thing. I purposely went longer in my G&B jackets because I like the extra length.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Very true. With S,M,L,XL sizes unless you are very lucky all you will get is a general fit.
If you want or expect more of a fit to yourself a true custom is the way to go.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
RCSignals wrote: The front of a Crystal Skull jacket is about the same length as the front of a Raider jacket. (going by the TN Crystal Skull jacket and the original Raider jacket TN had to copy) The rear of a Crystal Skull jacket is longer than a Raider jacket but about the same as a ToD or LC jacket back length.

Maybe that's what the measurement bear out, but one look at HF in each film tells a different story to my eyes. And let's face it, he does not have the same body he had in Raiders. So, if what you say is true, it just proves the concept that it's as much about the body wearing the clothes as the clothes themselves! ;)
Every movie has a different jacket really, and each of those has it's own 'fit' characteristics. The sizes of the jackets though for Ford are not so different, even though much time has passed and Ford is obviously older.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

As has been said, it all comes down to personal preferences. If you are after uber-SA then the jacket is a little too long in relation to the first 3 films.

I've finally reached a (for me) happy medium. It's a medium of screen accuracy vs. personal preference. I want that Indy vibe and want the jackets to look like a specific movie jacket in terms of pocket size, yoke size, etc. But I like my jackets a little longer than the good Professor Jones did so I'll go a little longer in the torso because the jacket is more comfortable to me that way.

If you like the jacket and the fit feels good to you, I wouldn't worry if it was an inch or so too long. Just my opinion.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

crismans wrote:As has been said, it all comes down to personal preferences. If you are after uber-SA then the jacket is a little too long in relation to the first 3 films.
[...] But I like my jackets a little longer than the good Professor Jones did so I'll go a little longer in the torso because the jacket is more comfortable to me that way.

If you like the jacket and the fit feels good to you, I wouldn't worry if it was an inch or so too long. Just my opinion.
I feel the exact same way about my jackets length, that why I always choose the custom route.
I try one time to have a Raiders jacket with a shorter length but I'm not confortable in it and I don't wear it at all....
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Does anybody here know if the LC jacket has the same length as the CS Jacket?

Regards

orb
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

If I remember correctly from my reading, the LC was shorter than the CS. Confirmation anyone?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

from a source who worked inn the industry who measured one of the a LC jacket said that the back length of the LC jacket was 27''
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

27 Inches? Wow. That's a long jacket. Certainly much longer than a Raiders jacket.
Is this new information for you Holt? Your Wested LC in horsehide was very short, if I remember correctly.
25.5 inches? Surely you wouldn't have ordered it so short if you'd known otherwise...
Personally, I think it looks shorter than Raiders on-screen, but it's probably not.
27 inches though, puts it a full inch longer than a Crystal Skull jacket, and we all know how long that looks
on Ford.
IndySmith
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndySmith »

I think it looks fine. Im a big fan of not tucking in my shirts (lol) so thats how I base the fit of some of my jackets. Nothing looks worse than your shirt sticking out the bottom of your coat. Plus, todays look is casual , so unless it has to be SA, I wouldnt worry about it.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

For me, it just doesn't look right when the body length is longer than the sleeve length.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Somehow it looks more like a coat at that length to me.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:from a source who worked inn the industry who measured one of the a LC jacket said that the back length of the LC jacket was 27''
27" does seem long. I wonder if they measured from the top of the collar stand?

Did they make any other measurements of it?
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Indiana G wrote:
if you want SA, and you already have an SA bag, the jacket should almost cover the snaps....if you are wearing an SA gun rig, the holster should easily be accessible through the side vent. if that still doesn't apply, use a cell phone/blackberry clipped to your belt. if you can clear the holster easily, it's about the right length.....at least that's what my TN gives me.
This is the sort of information I'm after. I tried on some OTR Raiders and they felt short for me, but only as I'm used to wearing longer coats / jackets. The problem I've found in searching this issue is that people tend to wear the jackets over very casual wear for the pictures posted. T shirt over jeans or jogging bottoms mainly, either way you can't tell where someons waist is!

Even in Holts pictures I'm finding it hartd to gauge the length. I understand Fords was 22.5inches, and he's taller than me!! If I had a jacket that short it would be half way up my back. I'm 5ft 10 and went for a 25inch length, but I'm just not sure......

Indiana G, your measurment guide would be even more helpfull if you could give an indication how far down from the trouser belt the holster or bag is. As I stand I'm not sure if my jacket is too short or my bag is worn too low :-k ! Could anyone help on this?

I don't mean to steal the thread but I thought as so many had posted here a specific thread would be frowned uppon ;) As far as the question asked by the thread poster, I think it looks a little long in the body. However as I'm finding, and many others have said, its about what you feal comfortable in V's SA. I figure I'll have to get used to the 'short' fealing, but a guide to help me determin if it is TOO short would be REALLY helpfull.

Oh, and is there a difinative list of the back lengths for all 4 films?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

All this said, I've found that ALL my jacket bodies tend to ride up with wear after being worn for a while too....including all my Wings jackets. Personally I don't care for them to be too short, as when THOSE ride up after wear, they ARE too short. :?

Just a thought to mull over while you're chewing around the edge of this 'problem'. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

soak it and let it tumble in the dryer w/ no heat (or just air dry - obviously slower) and it'll take on a whole new character in its fit.

C3
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:......... I understand Fords was 22.5inches, and he's taller than me!! If I had a jacket that short it would be half way up my back. I'm 5ft 10 and went for a 25inch length, but I'm just not sure......

22.5 inches would be the front measurement not including the collar stand. The back was 23", but because of the way the Raiders jacket tends to fall back off the shoulders it's OK. The Raiders jacket does not fit at the shoulders like other jackets. The back length of the CS is 26" and it stays in the proper place on the shoulders.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Michaelson wrote:
Just a thought to mull over while you're chewing around the edge of this 'problem'. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
:shock: Well if your chewing on the edges of course they're gonna get short! ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
:shock: Well if your chewing on the edges of course they're gonna get short! ;)
Hey, you stick to your diet, and I'll stick with mine! [-( :- :[

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote:
Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:......... I understand Fords was 22.5inches, and he's taller than me!! If I had a jacket that short it would be half way up my back. I'm 5ft 10 and went for a 25inch length, but I'm just not sure......

22.5 inches would be the front measurement not including the collar stand. The back was 23", but because of the way the Raiders jacket tends to fall back off the shoulders it's OK. The Raiders jacket does not fit at the shoulders like other jackets. The back length of the CS is 26" and it stays in the proper place on the shoulders.
My jackets are usually 23-24". Ford must have a seriously high waist!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:
RCSignals wrote:

My jackets are usually 23-24". Ford must have a seriously high waist!
It's the construction and the way it hangs off the shoulders.
That's only the Raiders, and probably why the other movie jackets are longer at the back.
The CS is 22.5 at the front not including collar stand though.

Obviously though to get to the same point of hang the length of the jacket will vary by person
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

tony nowak states that cs jacket is 26.5 in back length and im about the same hight as Ford and im getting a wested that has back of 26.5 or 27 not sure yet because it looks short and i get worried that its not long enough
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indyfan, you have to be comfortable with it. It's not a real long jacket design to start with.
you're current jacket you thought was too long, you don't want another of the same. What's the back measurement of it?
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

its appx 30 inch from the stitching of the collar around that
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

then I think you'd be safe with the 26.5" length
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

ok wested has only 26 or 27 should i put 27 and then on the special requests area ask if they can put 26.5??
sorry for all these questions ive never ordered a custom and i dont want to ship it all the way back to england
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

indyfan1234 wrote:ok wested has only 26 or 27 should i put 27 and then on the special requests area ask if they can put 26.5??
sorry for all these questions ive never ordered a custom and i dont want to ship it all the way back to england
no I'd just put all your requested sizes in the special request section. Don't use the drop downs unless they are exactly what you want.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

alright thx so much this is what i have so far
chest=38 or 40 chest is 38 dead on i didnt measure loose or anything either
shoulder is about 6.75-7 around that
sleeve is 24.5
back im gonna go with 26.5
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: How long jacket length?

Post by RCSignals »

You should probably measure your chest slightly loose.
If you think you'll grow some in the chest you might consider the 40
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

thx I will get a 40 most likely if it's a little more room will the jacket hang down and be longer because of the extra room?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

It should be just looser round the chest
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

and shoulders,

they will drop more..