distressing new raiders jacket

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

hikz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

distressing new raiders jacket

Post by hikz »

Hi guys I had the chance to go down to see peter at wested leather at the weekend and while there i bought a new raiders jacket, while i was there I asked him how to distress the new jacket and he told me that they originally put the jacket in a tumble dryer with some stones and let it do its worst, now if i had an old tumble dryer I'd give it a go but, I don't think the wife would be to chuffed if she caught me doing this with our dryer. :x
So instead I have had a go with some sandpaper and knife, and so far the jacket looks better but still needs some more distressing. I shall post some pic as soon as i have finished
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: distressing new raiders jacket

Post by TheExit148 »

Thats awesome that you got to go down there. I wish I could, but its quite costly to fly from Canada.
From what I've read on here, and will do myself once I get my specs for a raiders jacket done, is the shower technique. It does wonders with the shine, and gives those great arm wrinkles once its worn wet and dried. It is also supposedly what they did for the movie jackets. Hot or cold is a matter of opinion, as many people have used either or. Do some searches, and hopefully you can find what your looking for :)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

If it's a lamb, be careful with that knife. She's tender. My friends cat showed me that.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

simple solution... Don't do it when your wife is around. That always works for me! Wait until either she has a day planned outside the house, or find something fun for her to do that will take at least an hour of her time. :-$
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

hikz wrote:Hi guys I had the chance to go down to see peter at wested leather at the weekend and while there i bought a new raiders jacket, while i was there I asked him how to distress the new jacket and he told me that they originally put the jacket in a tumble dryer with some stones and let it do its worst,

huh?

what?

that cant be right...Deb personally distressed the jacket at the set....
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, didn't she borrow a pocket knife on the set and have at it?
hikz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by hikz »

Indiana Holt wrote:
hikz wrote:Hi guys I had the chance to go down to see peter at wested leather at the weekend and while there i bought a new raiders jacket, while i was there I asked him how to distress the new jacket and he told me that they originally put the jacket in a tumble dryer with some stones and let it do its worst,

huh?

what?

that cant be right...Deb personally distressed the jacket at the set....
Yeah thats what I thought, but i wasn't going to argue with the man
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

IIRC he was talking about some early customer jackets, they did that when people wanted them distressed, before he started making them with predistressed leather.

It also may have been what the guys at Berman's told him they did to the screen jackets, Nadoolman's penknife distressing refers to the jacket they used in France. It doesn't exclude all the others, or the stunt jackets, but it is in particular reference to that 1st jacket.

Hikz,

It depends which leather you have, I've given my washed goat a gentle rub with a scotchbrite and it's brought up some nice highlights, slightly less invasive compared to sandpaper.
damian della morte
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damian della morte »

i just picked my second tods standard, first i bought an xl, fits really "70s", well i liked it enough to pick one up in xxl for a looser fit, l u v it but it seems to be glossy enough to need some dulling out in spots, how can i remove some of that???, with out really destressing it, ive seen some really nice standards out there, but most of the ones i prefer are almost gloss free..
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I've never done it, but there are threads on how to remove the shine.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you remove lots of the shine if you blast it under the shower for a while.

one trick is using alcohol.

and another trick is to use th seach function. there is lots of Info laying around here.

feel free to take a look.