Is it wrong ?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

matt black
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Is it wrong ?

Post by matt black »

:-k What are your veiws on having the full outfit but having different parts from different movies due to preference in style.For instance my hat shape is Raiders as is my bag strap and whip.But my jacket is LC as I like the shape more.Is this the wrong way to go about things or do any of you have a bit of a mish mash thing going on.Or would you all spit on me in the street ? ;-)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I personally would take you out back, and put a bathrobe over your hideous concoction of an outfit! :x

JUST KIDDING!

I think it should be personal preference as long as you're not going after ONE movies "look".

Randy

P.S I know you're about to recieve many different opinions on the matter. :)
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

There is no wrong way to collect the gear. Just get what you like, who cares what anyone else thinks.

If wearing gear from the different movies together is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Yep. Everyone's got a different take. I'm sure there are some who wish to recreate one specific outfit, but I think the bulk of us will mix n' match.

Some are more into Screen accuracy than others--in fact, there are those such as myself that prize practicality over SA...I'm not saying SA is wrong; oh heavens, no....It's just that sometimes (and it depends upon what gear) SA just isn't a hot-button issue with me.

So go...Gear up, and be happy!
matt black
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by matt black »

Oh thanks everyone.I fee :lol: l better about that.Randy The bathrobe idea is fine but can you make sure its a SA copy of the one Indy wears in Venice.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

matt black wrote:Oh thanks everyone.I fee :lol: l better about that.Randy The bathrobe idea is fine but can you make sure its a SA copy of the one Indy wears in Venice.
Why not the one he wears in Raiders? otherwise someone else will have to get a towel to put over your Raiders hat :P :lol:

I only have Raiders hats, but I never hesitate to wear them with my LC jacket. So I guess I don't mind Mix 'n Matching that much. But if I do go Full-Gear I am wearing Raiders gear only (as I don't have a full LC set of gear yet).

I don't think a wrong or right could exist on this topic though, as it is a matter of preference and opinion, but I have seen some great pictures here of people in their perfectly SA Raiders of the Crusade-Temple's Doom Skull gear and I somhow found them to be absolutely right. ;-)

Regards, Geert
matt black
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by matt black »

:) That sounds like a great title for the next film.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

if you look about the threads, there are a lot that reference "Raiders of the Crusade of the Kingdom of Doom" or something to that affect.

It is basically a reference to an Indy outfit made by piecing together parts of Gear from different films to make your own preference. Including Agent5 and myself, there are really only a few 'Raiders-Only Gear' collectors here, I believe.

Matching a TN CS jacket with an LC hat and Raiders shirt/pants and holster will still look Indy to anybody that's not a Gearhead...and heck, we still love the 'close enuffs' that aren't any film-specific!

Buy/wear what YOU like and look good in. That's what we're all about here.

EDIT: Geert hit 'Submit' before I did
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

No one would be able to spot the difference. Even the folks around here wouldn't notice the difference if you walked by. They'd need to study it for a bit. Bottom line is, have fun with it and do what you want.
matt black
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by matt black »

;-) That sounds like the perfect philosophy to me.Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

I think its more original by mixing it up. Just my opinion
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I come from the school of thought that, unless you own actual, screen-used gear, true screen accuracy is unattainable. SA reproductions are just one person's take on what he/she saw in one or several shots.

Once you accept that notion, what follows is that all Indy gear is, ultimately, "close enough approximations." Nothing more. At that point, does it really matter which movie each gear piece reflects? What really matters is that your Indy gear reflect you. The best outfits always do.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

matt black wrote:Randy The bathrobe idea is fine but can you make sure its a SA copy of the one Indy wears in Venice.
You know, I'm surprised that hasn't been discussed. That along with the Raiders robe.

Randy
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Good call Chewie. I'm with you. All the talk about SA just drives me nuts!
Greatdane
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Greatdane »

I really don't care what peoples styles are. Wether is accuracte to a specific film or mixed, or unique. Just pick a style that you like. I personally want only one outfit, Raiders. All this talk about screen accuracy is indeed nuts, but I'm a nut myself and I am actually entertained by collecting info on the gear and building a costume that is as screen accurate as I can get it. I get a thrill out of it. This hobby has turned into an obssession for me :)
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

This hobby is very varied. For some it is quest for SA, for others it is a chance to touch a legendary gear and suit it to your taste. If it pleases you - go with it, if it fits you - go with it. After all, you are SA at your own.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

"Raiders of the Crusade of the Kingdom of Doom"
What about "Crusade of the Raiders of the Crystal Skull/Kingdom of Doom"? :-k

Or simply put, "Hybrid-IndyGear" - Works best for all of the Hybrid and "Green" talk of late :lol:

;-)
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Go for it man. I just love the Indy look and that's good enough for me. Fair play to the guys and gals who go for SA but that just seems too much hassle. Everyone has their own likes so each to his or her own 8)
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

IndyGeek78 wrote:Go for it man. I just love the Indy look and that's good enough for me. Fair play to the guys and gals who go for SA but that just seems too much hassle. Everyone has their own likes so each to his or her own 8)
I completely agree. I have chosen to attempt a ROTLA wardrobe that a "gearhead" would recognize as such. Absolute screen accuracy can NEVER be achieved for any movie unless you can acquire the wardrobe and props from any given movie or more importantly a specific scene from that movie.

We have several members that own individual pieces of gear that look just as good if not better than what we see in the movies but total SA is a myth.

I personally would like to get a LC jacket to wear with the rest of my Raiders gear.