First Wested, Raiders Special w/ pics Any comments welcome

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

First Wested, Raiders Special w/ pics Any comments welcome

Post by Redinight »

Hello!!! This is my first Wested and second jacket. I have a 6 year old Wings VIP cow as well.

First Fit: I've been reading about this new concept that the Wested isn't cut right and doesn't "want to fall off your shoulders" because the yoke is too high on the shoulders. I don't really feel that applies to my jacket. However I think it's a little tight under my armpits and a little large over my stomach. It's a 42 which I was worried would not fit me at all. Thankfully I think it fits better than I ever hoped for OTR.

Naturally I couldn't get help with photos, it's too silly for everyone around here. These pictures are not representing color very well at all, the towel on the right should be black....

Now... changes I want to see for SA I will list later. I knew this wasn't going to be 100 percent SA but i would give it a 90 percent completion compared to about 40 for my wings :)

Now my major gripe. The Lambskin leather. I knew I wasn't going to like it the instant I pulled it out of the big zip lock bag. Oh man, it's too good! There are no blemishes in it at all!!! I like some marks and different grains on panels. This has nonthing. Nothing, maybe some nicks from sewing machine... The grain is so uniform through out, no, perfectly uniform... It's nice and soft but it doesn't feel like leather, at least not what I'm use to. Maybe it will gain some bigger graininess when it's worn more? My freinds and people at work..some of them actually accused it as being pleather! My heart sank. They don't know leather but come on... In a way I agree. It doesn't sound like leather when I rub my finger on it, or when it rubs together when I move... It bounces back, it shrugs off wrinkles... And there is no nap...I'm used to nap with my Wings...

And then to my horror, to my utter skip a beat, chest tightening shock, I found white fiber connected to the the back of the leather, in the straps.... What is this? Can others who have the OTR jacket check this out? I mean I am not anouncing it's pleather, it's got a real pretty leathery smell and I don't believe Peter would deceive anyone. However it looks like all the pleather backing I've ever seen, such as the huge pieces on my couches... It's perplexing. I'm certain it's connected to the leather...maybe it's some sort of linning, but why? This jacket is sewed to the max, there is not much exposed raw leather backing...

Last edited by Redinight on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Looks good to me. Leather often comes with a thin white gauze-like backing material. It helps to hold the leather's shape during tailoring.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Thank you :) I'm not freaking out... I'm not freaking out.... Of all the gear and money that's gone into it, this is actually the first piece I was really comfortable with... I'm super skeptical...like Scully and super finicky and obsessive like Mulder.. :) I will have a heart attack soon....my OCD is terrible. But the quality of the build, the service, the price, is amazing. I'm just use to leather jackets as some hides patched together that willing to be beat to heck. I'm sure that's what it is...

There are five major areas that I want Peter to improve on before I buy my next Wested...lower the seam under the yoke, back panel on top of or right new to the left and right seam, get rid of the horrid slides because they dont work and leave the strap pointing forward, adjust the pockets again, must move the snap buttons in the pockets up by as much as the length of the button, and rectangle the front connection of the strap and the back one at a k.....

I do like my Jacket, very much, I will distress it naturally for sure. Unlike the hat I can feel comfortable wearing it along with my boots...

Edit... Outdoor photos with an actual camera will be added later.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Another example of a great-fitting OTR jacket. Things might have been different if you'd ordered a custom.
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Nice jacket, good fit. Dosnt look like pleather to me, I cant really see a business like Wested selling pleather and claiming leather.

beginning to think maybe I should have just ordered OTR :?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

nice jacket.it fits u very well.no flying squirrel effect in it.

the leather feels like pleather at first yes, give it a nice shower and start wearing it.the more you wear it the more it forms to your body shape and gives lots of grain. and the feel of the leather differes after this.it feels much tougher.

nice jacket. stop freaking out :whip:
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I'm starting to see around the armpits, where there is a lot of movement and bending, the leather is looking a lot better. Thanks for the great and positive comments.

I'm sure that in six years it will have a lot a character like my wings. I have to search for some pictures of my first jacket because when it was knew I'm kinda remembering it was similar in feel and look. I have to keep in mind that I lightly sanded the whole jacket, beat it, and threw it in the dryer several times... I only distressed it because I was upset that the jacket was too big, I couldn't return it, and it was so inaccurate... I have to distress this Wested naturally, I like it too much.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I am starting to really dig the OTRs.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I like the OTR as it is... I will love it once Peter gets a standardized super SA OTR going. I was thinking about ordering a Todd's because it's there for SA but I'm worried about the sizing and fit... I will get another Wested for sure because this one will wear out after everyday use. I sure hope he doesn't decide to retire anytime soon.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

peter will not do this forever.of course...

I have contact with Peter on the phone and emails very often, he tells me that he will retire soon, but he will offer the Indy jackets a couple more years....
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Like David Morgan, there isn't someone next in line to take over the reins? Would be a shame if there isn't.

Nice looking jacket. Its too bad the horsehide Raiders aren't OTR. I would not mind getting one with this improved fit and no flying squirrel effect. Plus due to the exchange rate, at the pricing OTR are currently at...an HH Indy @ <$180 would be a steal!
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Indiana Holt wrote:peter will not do this forever.of course...

I have contact with Peter on the phone and emails very often, he tells me that he will retire soon, but he will offer the Indy jackets a couple more years....
Is no one going to take over him after he retires? Surely not!!! :o
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Maybe Kt Templer will take over...

No... Peter will go at some point and that's okay - part of the natural cycle of birth and death... and retirement.

:lol:
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Redinight wrote:I like the OTR as it is... I will love it once Peter gets a standardized super SA OTR going. I was thinking about ordering a Todd's because it's there for SA but I'm worried about the sizing and fit... I will get another Wested for sure because this one will wear out after everyday use. I sure hope he doesn't decide to retire anytime soon.
Redinight - Great jacket!!!!

Is this the similar jacket to that which is being offered on Washed goar (the slimmer version)?

If so... what size are you normally? I see you got a 42, but so many people have said to go up a size.

I'm a 42 as well and not sure if to get 42 or 44.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I can only imagine the emails he must get EVERYDAY just from the membership here!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Dude, shower in that bad boy, and you'll be thrilled. I have a Wested lambskin and I thought it was perfect too. I gave it a warm shower, scrunched it up in a ball and chucked it in the corner for a while, then hung it to dry, and now it is nice and textured.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

That WARM shower, not hot. Just want to clarify. Imagine you are putting a newborn baby under the water.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As the Good Book says....'Spare the rod. Boil the child.' :)

Maybe I read the wrong.... :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

:whip:
You simply MUST post some pics of your older VIP!!!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Sounds right to me Michaelson, but then again, I didn't really pay much attention in Sunday School.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

CM wrote:Maybe Kt Templer will take over...

No... Peter will go at some point and that's okay - part of the natural cycle of birth and death... and retirement.

:lol:
Where will i get my Indy jackets in the UK? Especially at the prices he is selling them :(
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I guess Nowak is your man.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Indiana Jonsey wrote:
Redinight wrote:I like the OTR as it is... I will love it once Peter gets a standardized super SA OTR going. I was thinking about ordering a Todd's because it's there for SA but I'm worried about the sizing and fit... I will get another Wested for sure because this one will wear out after everyday use. I sure hope he doesn't decide to retire anytime soon.
Redinight - Great jacket!!!!

Is this the similar jacket to that which is being offered on Washed goar (the slimmer version)?

If so... what size are you normally? I see you got a 42, but so many people have said to go up a size.

I'm a 42 as well and not sure if to get 42 or 44.
Hey thanks :) everyone!!! Yeah I've been thinking about the water treatment but the last time I messed with a jacket it was bad news bears.

I will get some pics up of my VIP.... Perhaps as a lesson not to shorten the sleeves unless you've worn it awhile. I am proud of the natural and not natural destressing I did on it though....It looks like an Indy jacket should.

Indiana Jonesy: my jacket might be a tad too tight around the shoulders... and perhaps a little big in the belly... But not really, because it looks good to me and everyone compliments on it. I have know idea if this is a slimmer fit one. I can't tell of any taper on the sleaves. No taper in the back panel for sure....

My chest measurements, under my arms and over my nipples... Yes! I said that!!! because that's the widest part of my chest obviously, is.....41 1/2 inches. I have a slight hump in the middle of my back because of my poor posture.

my belly/gut: across my belly button and around is 40 inches. I can tighten the straps and the jacket has a little better fit. For me personally a size up I would not go, perhaps a 40 on the horizon is because I could stand losing 10 to 15 pounds.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

maboot38 wrote:I guess Nowak is your man.
Too expensive.... when ever Pete does decide to retire... i might have to get the credit card out and purchase a few in one go.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Indiana Jonsey wrote:
Too expensive.... when ever Pete does decide to retire... i might have to get the credit card out and purchase a few in one go.
I hear you. I was going to add a comment about Nowak's price but there are so many people in here that are in love with Nowak's jackets that they would gladly pay over $1000 for one if he charged it, and I didn't want to start a Wested vs. Nowak thing again. I would love a Nowak jacket, and I hear he's a great guy, but you can't beat Wested prices.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

maboot38 wrote:
Indiana Jonsey wrote:
I hear you. I was going to add a comment about Nowak's price but there are so many people in here that are in love with Nowak's jackets that they would gladly pay over $1000 for one if he charged it, and I didn't want to start a Wested vs. Nowak thing again. I would love a Nowak jacket, and I hear he's a great guy, but you can't beat Wested prices.
Exactly... IF i could afford one i would do... but in this economic climate spending £150 ($280) on a jacket is bad enough... let alone £600 ($1000).

If Nowak was more competative in their prices I would consider getting one, but for now I will stick with Wested.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The $1000 price is only quoted for the shunken lambskin. The standard price quoted for the TN jacket is $750.

So, with that said, you consider the TN too expensive, but are willing to break out the credit card and buy a couple Wested's at around $300+ a pop, spending essentially the same monies? :-k

Ok. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

You get what you pay for.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

And here we go...Wested v. Nowak, round 245....DING.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not really. In my case, I'm just trying to understand the logic stated here in terms of finances, nothing more. :lol:

Personally, I KNOW the track record in terms of longevity regarding Wested jackets from my own ownership and use. The jury is still out on the Nowak, but so far the experiences have been favorible under same test conditions as any Wested jacket I've owned.

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Hardly a fair fight. It'd be like Gary Coleman vs. Tyson.
I know, only adding fuel to the fire.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Kevin, how dare you compare Nowak to Gary Coleman????

:twisted:
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Hahah! Nice! Not what I was expecting! :) Sorry to go off topic. I'll stop now.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Yep, back on the rails we go.....
;-)
Regards! Michaelson
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Exactly. It's hard to question the cost of a Nowak or even a G&B when the same people doing so might be into $500 shoes or hats, or pants that cost $200 or a whip that costs $1,000. And there's a good chance your going to be using a jacket a lot more than a whip!

I think people need to take a chill on Nowak's prices. Yes, the shrunk lamb is kind of high. But his CS jackets and other Raiders are right in line with many true custom jackets, in fact they are less than many other makers considering who Tony is and his previous work.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Michaelson wrote:The $1000 price is only quoted for the shunken lambskin. The standard price quoted for the TN jacket is $750.

So, with that said, you consider the TN too expensive, but are willing to break out the credit card and buy a couple Wested's at around $300+ a pop, spending essentially the same monies? :-k

Ok. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Well for the price of one Nowak.... i can purchase nearly 3 jackets.

Thats is a big difference.

Im not saying one is better than the other... i just say i prefer to have 3 jackets from 3 different films from wested than 1 from Nowak.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Now that makes sense, from a collector standpoint.

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

A good point. But some prefer quality over quantity. Me, I'd rather have one very good jacket than three average ones.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Jonsey, is that the point? Sure, you can get more quantity for the same price. You can also get a bunch of Dorfman hats for the price of an AB.

I don't have a CS jacket and don't want one, but people who do are getting as close to a screen used jacket as has been possible before. This may never happen again.

Wested is fine, but why is price all that seems to matter?
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Kevin Anderson wrote:A good point. But some prefer quality over quantity. Me, I'd rather have one very good jacket than three average ones.

... Matter of opinion of course :roll:

;-)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

To argue the point, Raider 2, to each his own. While a Wested may not be a Nowak, it's certainly not as bad as a DP vs. AB comparison. Assuming you could get three Westeds from each of the movies, and your order received was as you spec'ed the jackets, then I can see the practicality of the argument from a collector's point of view, as stated above. At that point, it's not all about price; there are other factors involved behind such a choice.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

Raider S wrote:Jonsey, is that the point? Sure, you can get more quantity for the same price. You can also get a bunch of Dorfman hats for the price of an AB.

I don't have a CS jacket and don't want one, but people who do are getting as close to a screen used jacket as has been possible before. This may never happen again.

Wested is fine, but why is price all that seems to matter?
Be honest i have other Wested jackets (Wolverine)... they are very good. Can't see how much more I can get out for an extra $400/$500 for another make which is pretty much the same.

Just my opinion.

Again I am not saying that Wested is better than Nowak... Nowak might be better quality (from what other people say), but i can't see that the quality is worth $500 more.

Might consider it when the £ gets stronger against the $... but i am happy with Wested at the moment. If suddenly their jackets started to break on me then I would re-think about buying them but so far Wested has not failed me.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Indiana Jonsey wrote: Might consider it when the £ gets stronger against the $...
And I'll be hoping that doesn't happen! :)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Assuming you could get three Westeds from each of the movies, and your order received was as you spec'ed the jackets, then I can see the practicality of the argument from a collector's point of view, as stated above.
I can't understand why someone would recieve something then spec'ed, but it seems to happen frequently.

When I first came to this board not long ago I too thought no way would I pay so much for a jacket as the people were paying for the CS's. Then after a while and after having jackets from other makers (and some of the problems people often mention) I looked at other non-Indy jackets and realized the price people were paying for true custom work that's backed by the maker wasn't so much considering other aspects of this hobby.

Like I said, many people will spend $1,000 on a whip they may never use and only display, but won't buy even a G&B but go through several "cheaper" jackets because they think they are getting a bargain.

(And I think it would be cool to have one of the top whip makers products, it's just an example of how much people spend on Indy!)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

As far as quality I can compare the Wested I have versus my USW. The USW's are about the same price and are built much, much better. The main thing is the thread used. But the USW's aren't very SA, they are work jackets for me. Out of boredom I threw my USW goat it the washing machine then into a dryer and there was little to no change - it's a monster.

Wested is fine but I do consider it more of a fashion jacket. Is another worth $500 more? Only the guy buying can answer that.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Raider S, the point is that folks are free to make whatever decision they wish regarding their purchases. No matter the reason, some are happy with Wested, some with Nowak, some with other makes. It is up to the individual buyer to do his or her homework, decide what best fits that buyer's criteria, and make an individual choice based off of that. If it means one Nowak or three Westeds, as long as the buyer is happy, nothing else matters.
Last edited by binkmeisterRick on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jonesy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jonesy »

maboot38 wrote:
Indiana Jonsey wrote: Might consider it when the £ gets stronger against the $...
And I'll be hoping that doesn't happen! :)
Its stopping me going to the States at the moment.

Was going to New York for Xmas shopping but didn't go in the end.

Will go up eventually... i hope... :-
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Rick, when did I ever say it wasn't up to the buyer?

I simply pointed out when I first came here I too felt it's crazy to spend so much on a jacket. Over time I felt otherwise based on what I learned here and in general about custom items.

But when you look at the whole Indy hobby, a $700 jacket isn't too out of line with the price of other items that can also be found for much less money.

I wasn't saying anyone else should do other than they fancy, so please don't put words in my mouth.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, Raider. I was just making the point that some folks seem to forget that they are entitled to their choices regardless of what that choice may be. I've seen it happen where someone will say, "I'm thinking of buying X," and others will try to sway that decision due to their own opinions or biases. For the newbie, it can be daunting when what they view as a simple question becomes a huge diatribe as to how you should spend your money.

But that's not really what this thread is about, ultimately, so we all should probably try to get back on topic. (And yes, myself included.)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Redinight, let us know how it turns out if you decide to give that jacket a shower. It'll definitley work wonders for it.