Have an 8ft Terry Jackas coming....

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Have an 8ft Terry Jackas coming....

Post by Indiana Citroen »

but should I change to 10ft

I know Indy has a 10ft....will I notice the difference a lot?? :whip:

Stu
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Stu,
I assume that this is if not your first then one of your first whips? If so, then I would suggest that you stay with your order of 8 feet. A 10 footer is an impressive thing to see in action no doubt there, and it looks great on film, but as a beginer, you may find the 8 footer easier to handle and learn from. It's a faster whip, accurate and isn't as heavy so you won't get frustrated that your arm is tiring after only a few minutes of practice. When you've gotten past your first growing pains of larning how to handle a bullwhip, then the world is your oyster my friend.

I have 6, 8 and 10 footers and the one I most reach for is my old 8' bullwhip.

PS-Keep in mind that on top of the length of your whip, I mean the braided part which is what is counted, there is the fall which will add a good 30" on top. So with an 8 footer that means that to safely practice, you need a space of 2 times your entire whip, so 10 1/2' X 2=21' + a good 2' for your arm, so a circle of a minimum of 23' is what you need to safely practice with this whip! That's a lot of space and although you can get away with less, it means you will be more restricted in what you can do. So yeah, don't forget the space you need to use that puppy...
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Indy has 10 ft on a belt. He was using 8 ft.

Yes you will notice the difference. But i think you made good when you ordered that lenght. 8 ft is much more better then 10 ft, to typical cracking.

Personally I think that whips longer then 8 ft are good for showing not for cracking.

Regards,
Karol
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Stu, Knowing what I know about these bullwhips first hand, I’d recommend sticking with the 8ft length you originally ordered.

The 10 ft model is a great whip, I really like mine and it’s a lot of fun, but these are exceptionally heavy bullwhips as is. You’re really going to feel the difference in length even more so then you would on another type of bullwhip and unless you’re a fairly skilled and experienced whip handler already, honestly Terry's 10 ft Crystal Skull model can be bit challenging. Even thought they crack very readily, the heft and length make complex throws difficult, Its especially important to let this whip do as much of the work for you as possible to get good results with them and not give you sore arms. The next one I order will be an 8ft.

Also as I understand it, even though two 8ft bullwhips where made, Harrison Ford was predominantly using 10 ft bullwhips in his Indy 4 whip action scenes.
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

keep it coming...all good advice.

I've fired a few guns and rifles in my time and I did have a bullwhip 25 years ago....and kinda remember the wrist flick, but as its been so long I was double checking.

Certainly the right choice...but please contnue with some beginner tips.

Stu :whip:
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

got the email this morning ...woo hoo
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Super! I presume that you went with the 8 ft? Cant wait to see it.

Cheers! :whip:

Dan
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

If you're an early October order who's just getting it now... then my December order should be filled around April. :-k

Good to know!

Be sure to post pictures when it shows up! Did you go with the J series, or regular? And did you decide on 8? Mine's a 10 foot J series... :twisted: ..though I'm not sure if I qualify as a beginner. Maybe intermediate.

Shane
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

If you're an early October order who's just getting it now... then my December order should be filled around April.

Hey Shane,

Looks like we are in the same boat, April is when I am hoping mine will be ready...... ah, the wait.... I went with the 10 foot "J" series and cannot wait to get it!

Crack On! :whip:

Allen
ulldarborealis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ulldarborealis »

well i order mine on oct 6 08 and he said it would be 8 weeks

on jan 27 09 sent another email checking up and he said it would be another 2 months or more said there were 6 whips ahead of mine

i'm ok with the time frame cant waite for it

richard
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Terry just emailed me!
I ordered a Delongis handled bull from him a little while back and apparently its getting ready to go!
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

8 footer

still debating whether ill get the J on it
mwells
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Whip

Post by mwells »

Hopefully I will get an email soon I ordered mine in October as well and have not heard anything back since. If I dont hear somthing soon I am going to email him.
:)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Shagbd,

What length of delongis style did you get? I like those very much and see myself getting one of those when i have chance. I can't wait to hear how it handles!

Allen
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

7 ft
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

ah, "SA" for Anthony :D
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Can't wait to hear about the difference between the two :notworthy: . After seeing the one's Anthony uses on "Extreme Marksmen" they appear to flow very well.
Till then'

Allen