The whip used in "Zorro the Gay Blade"...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The whip used in "Zorro the Gay Blade"...

Post by DanielJones »

Hey gang, I know it's not an Indy whip but it is whip related. We were watching "Zorro the Gay Blade" the other night (and it's been so long that I forgot how funny the film was) & noticed the whip that was used.
If anybody here has any recollection of this film, what kind of whip was it that they used? It looked to be about 8 to 10 ft with a fairly long wooden handle. At first I thought it was a stock whip but it didn't seem to break at the knot like they do.

I'm just curious as to what it is and if anyone here might have an example of one. To me it looked like a bullwhip, but with a very long wood handle.
Sorry I couldn't find any screen images to show you folks what I mean.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers! :whip:

Dan
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

I had this film at the top of my queue for nearly a year, and it never got shipped. :lol: I remember loving it as a kid, but haven't seen it since the early 80's.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I know, an obscure film. I was just hoping that someone may have run across some info on this particular whip. Never hurts to ask.

Cheers!

Dan
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Here's a link to a scene with him using the whip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yto-qHX7LHA&NR=1

Also, here's a shot of the poster where you can see him holding it.

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Its been years since I’ve seen that crazy movie, but I remember it being pretty funny. :lol:

The whip itself is a wood handled bullwhip done in the American style, the wood handle extends up into the plaited thong. Although its a bit hard to tell from the video, it looks quite a bit like the bullwhips made by the late whip maker Leonard Wheatley, or at least someone influenced by his bullwhips, I could be mistaken though.

Dan
gsolideogloria
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gsolideogloria »

I had forgotten all about that movie. I remember watching it as a kid. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up a copy to watch. It may not be easy to find. :(

Happy cracking, :whip:

Ryan
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Its been years since I’ve seen that crazy movie, but I remember it being pretty funny. :lol:

The whip itself is a wood handled bullwhip done in the American style, the wood handle extends up into the plaited thong. Although its a bit hard to tell from the video, it looks quite a bit like the bullwhips made by the late whip maker Leonard Wheatley, or at least someone influenced by his bullwhips, I could be mistaken though.

Dan
Thanks for the info BWB, most appreciated. There is some more info to be researched to expand the knowledge base.

Cheers!

Dan
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

BWB is correct -- those whips were made by Leonard Wheatly. If you're looking for something similar, you can check out:

www.drewswhips.com

www.handmadewhips.com/

Drew's whips are made from roohide, and 'Skip' Sansoucie's are made from cowhide. Unfortunately, unless something's changed, Drew only makes whips to put on the'bay. Hope this helps!!

~Jace
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Cool! Thanks a bunch. Skip's whips look fantastic.

Cheers!

Dan