Wested TOD arrived!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I wasn't aware there was a regular goat shortage? I thought it was just the washed goat. It must be a very popular leather. I like the idea of light but strong, so why not choose goat I guess.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I was told a little while ago when I inquired as to the status of my jacket that they were out of goat hide and it would be 7-10 days before they got more. They obviously got the shipment as my jacket was completed today. \:D/
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Wonder when the washed goat jackets will be ready then! :-k

Shane
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I emailed Peter asking about the washed goat delay, and for once, didn't receive a reply. Not yet anyway.
Peter, if you read this thread, could you please update the anxious wash goat orderers?
Once again, I only ordered at the start of January, and I know there's many ahead of me. I'll probably have a TN before the washed goat arrives... :(
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

I got a reply from Peter last week that only a very small supply of washed goat had come in. He said my jacket was cut last Tuesday. I received an email stating it was completed and shipped yesterday. I ordered October 29, so it looks as though Peter is still having trouble getting washed goat which he feels is of good quality. I don't mind the wait for a better product.
-Ben
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Just for clarification, I ordered mine on October 29 as well.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Is there no one else here who has receive one of these? There were something like 20 sent in the first 'batch', I'd think a few more would have gone to people here?

Come on, don't be shy, tell us about your ToD.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Maybe most of those who received a jacket from the first 'incorrect' batch wisely sent them straight back to Wested for alterations or replacement. I wish I did.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

RCSignals wrote:Is there no one else here who has receive one of these? There were something like 20 sent in the first 'batch', I'd think a few more would have gone to people here?

Come on, don't be shy, tell us about your ToD.
Are you talking about the washed goats or lambs? My ToD is DK lamb and I received it shortly after Christmas. (Ordered Nov. 4th)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

PSBIndy wrote:......
Are you talking about the washed goats or lambs? My ToD is DK lamb and I received it shortly after Christmas. (Ordered Nov. 4th)
Any of them really, but probably mostly Lambs have been received.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Maybe most of those who received a jacket from the first 'incorrect' batch wisely sent them straight back to Wested for alterations or replacement. I wish I did.
I was offered a corrected replacement and guaranteed original hardware, which I took advantage of and made a new order for, but not offered an exchange. My first is for sale. I guess it will eventually go on eBay, not too much interest here.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Does anyone know how much of the original hardware is left?
Regards

orb
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

I received my Washed Goat today...three days after Peter said it was shipped. I could not wait to open the package, hoping that the cut would be the update, and hardware be the original. I could not be happier. Thanks so much Peter for all you did with this project. From the vent construction to the squared collar, two pronged buckles, 'BIG' YKK zip, Dewey snaps, pockets, and overall look, it's everything I expected and hoped for. I have never had a Goat jacket, it's actually heavier than I expected. I can see it will distress very easily, and should look similar to the original in no time. There is a slight backbone mark on this leather, but nothing too distracting in person. The jacket being worn picture is to show the fit, the color is off as no one's home to take a picture.

Thanks again Peter and Gemma for delivering just what I wanted.
-Ben

orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

Great Looking Jacket! I hope I will also get the same leather with all the original hardware. How soft is the washed goat? Btw. I cannot see any backbone mark on the picture. Wear it with proud!

Regards

orb
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

it looks perfect! very nice!!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Very, very nice. I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow or Monday.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I can only hope that mine looks as nice! When is it due? Not too sure -- Gemma told me that they would have it completed in the next 14 business days on the 7th of January...which I think was 20 business days ago. Any day now? Maybe??

~Jace
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

MACHONE that turned out very well. Looks good with a good fit. What size is yours?
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

RCSignals wrote:MACHONE that turned out very well. Looks good with a good fit. What size is yours?
Thanks everyone, it's a size 42. I ordered an extra inch in the sleeves to account for bunching up over time. The goat is very soft. I really like the drape and texture. It is closer to lamb than anything else I have felt in terms of softness. I REALLY like the matte finish. No shine to work off with this one.
-Ben
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

I have ordered also a second TOD jacket in washed goat.
I have asked for a second inner pocket. Could this pocket maybe change the look of the jacket? I just have doubts now because of the thinner leather.

Regards

orb
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

AWESOME jacket MACHONE... awesome... :notworthy:
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

orb wrote:I have ordered also a second TOD jacket in washed goat.
I have asked for a second inner pocket. Could this pocket maybe change the look of the jacket? I just have doubts now because of the thinner leather.

Regards

orb
I love my ToD jacket! It's breaking in beautifully. I'm thinking about ordering a second one, as well. However, I'm thinking of asking for NO inner pockets. I still have a big issue with the liner in this jacket - it's much too "baggy" and makes the inner pocket stick out from inside the jacket. Here's the pic to show what I'm mean -

(Go Dodgers!)

Kind regards,
Craig
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

love the jacket dude.

if you go for a second one,you can still have the inner pocket.it has nothing to do with the inner pocket since the lining is so much all over the place.

you just ask for trim lining or no baggy lining,thats all.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

First time I've seen that problem. Otherwise it looks great.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the lining in the TofD jacket was baggy and full of inner gussets,thats why it is so all over the place. you can see this on the hero jacket too.

the raiders was more trim.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

And I'm so used to that Raiders lining too.

That inner pocket is crazy. It starts about 1" from the zipper and stretches all the way back to the armhole! :shock: I may visit a tailor this weekend to tack the leather edges of the pocket to the inside of the jacket to keep that thing in place.

Kind regards,
Craig
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Sounds like another inconsistency with this jacket.
The lining on my lamb TOD was quite neat and tidy, not baggy at all.
The pocket showing like that is crazy! :shock:
However, excess lining must be a pretty easy fix for a good tailor.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

The ToD lining in my jacket isn't baggy either....no inside pocket/s peeking out or extra material sneaking out of the cuffs at all. I don't believe a baggy lining was incorporated into the design details. :-k

However, I can see the indentation of the inner pocket (leather strip) when I zip up the jacket and when it is unzipped my jacket's leather naturally tends to crease/bend where inside pockets are located on the chest. If I had known this would be the case, I would have gone with no inside pockets as well to keep the drape smooth at the front.

It's really a nonissue though...just a nitpick.
De Payens
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by De Payens »

The lining in my TOD was hanging over the zipper all the way down
on both sides so I sent it back 3 or 4 weeks ago. It was one of the first
20 with the incorrect vent and storm flap.Peter said he'll replace the jacket for those reasons.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:love the jacket dude.

if you go for a second one,you can still have the inner pocket.it has nothing to do with the inner pocket since the lining is so much all over the place.

you just ask for trim lining or no baggy lining,thats all.
Both of the ToD's I have do that. The lining appears to be slightly too large for the jacket.

Why when you order one should you have to ask for a trim or less baggy lining? It shouldn't be like that from the start.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

That was the problem I meant. I just feel the drape of the inside pocket when wearing the jacket. It's not such a big problem at the moment.

Regards

orb
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Browncoat wrote:..........
However, I can see the indentation of the inner pocket (leather strip) when I zip up the jacket and when it is unzipped my jacket's leather naturally tends to crease/bend where inside pockets are located on the chest.
If you you look at the pictures of the NH jacket you can see the pocket top location in the distressing of the jacket. I don't think that's too unusual.

I don't notice a baggy lining in the NH jacket though
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

If you (anyone that has this jacket) have an issue with the jacket that might be construed as a design issue (floppy packet, baggy lining, etc) why not bring it up with Peter? It doesn't hurt to ask if we are noticing inconsistencies. If it is indeed a problem but you are personally not bothered enough by it to go through the cost and process of getting it remedied maybe we can at least get it resolved for the next guy?
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

The baggy lining sounds like the only current issue, and Peter should by now be aware of it, if he had a jacket returned for (partially) that reason.
The vents and stormflap top were corrected already.
It's up to Wested now to ensure each jacket that goes out is correct.
And let's hope nothing else pops up.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I got my ToD in today and I really, really like it. This should see equal time with my Indy I when the weather starts to warm up. Really nice jacket with, I believe, original hardware. Everything seems to be in good order (including the lining). The only nitpick is that the end of the stormflap may be too rounded but that doesn't detract from the jacket at all in my mind. Also, don't expect to get your hands in those pockets but that's completely in the jacket's unique design.

One question I did have is that I originally ordered the jacket in washed goat and then went to regular goat (anyone want to hear why again :lol:). This jacket isn't shiny at all like the other new Westeds I've seen (auth. lamb and horse) but it doesn't exactly look and feel like the other washed goat I've had. Is the Wested goat shiny or more matte? At any rate, I really like this leather. If it's the washed goat, it's more soft and supple than what I had before.

Instead of the normal picture, I had the wife take an "action" pose with my Penman ToD. And yes, that's my old Jerzee Joe whip. Just got through swinging from trees with it before this pic was taken. :P

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

It looks good on you Crismans. I'd suggest you 'work' the leather of the collar around the collar stand top, so the collar folds along it a little better. and yes, those 'handwarmer' pocket openings are bit useless. :lol:

I don't know about the hide but from the photos it compares with other peoples washed goat.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks good my friend.congrats!

how would you say the armhole/bicep area is? tight? THIGHT?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I got mine today as well. Will be posting pics soon. The inside pocket on mine keeps sticking out too... Guess I'll just have to get used to it

Nibs
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Also, this is a weird request, but could some of y'all post some pics wearing your jacket, with your arms extended out? I just want to see if I should sell mine and get another with the sleeves a little longer. Thanks

Nibs
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Crisman's jacket is the washed goat.

SD
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Maybe they got in a shipment?? :o Mine's a washed goat; maybe I won't have to wait as long as I thought!

Shane
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Crismans, you must have the washed goat. Gotta be. I'm wondering exactly what that first washed goat you had really was...

Looks great but if you ever decide to become serial killer, that photo is going on the front of the book they write about you!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Also, this is a weird request, but could some of y'all post some pics wearing your jacket, with your arms extended out? I just want to see if I should sell mine and get another with the sleeves a little longer. Thanks

Nibs

I ALLWAYS get my jackets with an extra inch longer,I do this because they will bunch up an inch or so with wear...
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Raider S wrote:Crismans, you must have the washed goat. Gotta be. I'm wondering exactly what that first washed goat you had really was...

Looks great but if you ever decide to become serial killer, that photo is going on the front of the book they write about you!

:shock: :shock: ;-)

Shane
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:lol: :lol:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'll have that up to $100,000 in no time. ;-)

It is definitely washed goat. I wore it around a little and it's already picking up "scratches" like the OTR LC jacket I had. My first jacket didn't feel this soft and it actually had places where it felt rough like it had been scrubbed some with sand paper. This doesn't have any of those places.

So technically I got the wrong leather since I made the change to regular goat by at least the middle of November (I'm pretty sure) from an Oct 29 order. It's a happy mistake as I had considered switching back several times so it's worked out.

I ordered the same size as all of the other Westeds I own/owned and it does have a tighter fit in the biceps, even more so than the ROLA special I owned. Something thin like a t shirt or a polo--no problems, no restriction. If I tried to wear something bulky under it, then it would get interesting. But this jacket is so light (almost like a really tough windbreaker) that I'll be using it mainly for spring or fall use.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

Hey crismans.

Any signs of a backbone mark on the washed goat?

Regards

orb
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

No, there's no backbone mark at all.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I've seen the whole skins in the shop, they have wobbly edges and variations in colour and surface feel across the skin, they do an amazing job matching panels and making the jacket look even all the way through. Almost too much.

I have a ToD in washed goat and it looks too pristine at the moment, it will certainly need a soak and a bit of beating to get comfortable. I think I've also got so used to my other jackets that have a bit of grain and wrinkling come up from wearing them. The new 'smooth as a babies bott' jackets are a bit of a shock to the system. I think Rediknight is having the same reaction!
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I will be interested to see how the washed goat of my returned OTR ROLA compares to the washed goat used in my recently ordered TOD.
I liked the look and feel of the ROLA, and I'm hoping Peter saves even better hides for the custom jackets made in the UK.