LLS is here!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

LLS is here!!

Post by Fedora »

Just got the call from LLS. He is on his way! Should be a fun day. Fedora
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Be gentle!

Post by The Librarian »

Sugar coat the hat making process. Don't want to scare him off. :lol: We need all the hat makers we can get.

Marty
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I hope you guys have fun working together. It should be a good few days.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Steve, maybe you could ask him what happened to his announcement of his company. I was waiting to hear more news but I couldn't find his post anywhere. I think I may have been the only person that had a chance to respond to it.

Dave
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

If I was LSS i'd be as giddy as a school boy, and I am never giddy..eh...even when I was a school boy!! :P :lol: ......have a good couple of days gentlemen.

Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

DR Ulloa wrote:Steve, maybe you could ask him what happened to his announcement of his company. I was waiting to hear more news but I couldn't find his post anywhere. I think I may have been the only person that had a chance to respond to it.

Dave
viewtopic.php?p=534597&highlight=#534597

Is this the post you were looking for, Dave? If so, it was moved to the classified section, as he's not officially recognized as a vendor here at Indygear until he has a few sales under his belt and customer reports for reference.

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hope you guys enjoy working together, Steve! This whole scenario seems like a real dream come true for a lot of us here on these boards (but probably none more so than LLS!)
;-)
All the BEST to the BOTH of you!
Mitch
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

OK, I know this thread probably isn't for me, but just in case, what, or who...is LLS. It isn't mentioned anywhere.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

So the topic of this thread is implying that Land Surveyor is going to visit the Adventurebilt shop to trade notes? build hats?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

If so, build mine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38 wrote:So the topic of this thread is implying that Land Surveyor is going to visit the Adventurebilt shop to trade notes? build hats?
sigh :( #-o

Ok, read this...3rd paragraph:

viewtopic.php?t=36962

Regards! Michaelson
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Michaelson wrote:sigh :( #-o
Don't you just love your job Michaelson? :lol:

Randy

P.S When I just read it, it was news to me. I've been without internet for most of the month of Jan.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Ahhhh, that clears it up. I missed the earlier thread.

That's like starting a thread that says "Yes, I do!", in response to another thread that asks "Do you like AB Fedoras?" Only if you know the first thread exists does the second one make any sense.

Anyway, now that my ignorance has been brought to my attention...

this is very exciting news. Nice to hear that we are getting more quality hat making into the fold.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

What a fantastic first meeting. Steve set me right off into vintage hat making. He first had me splitting cord wood for his vintage wood stove. Had to keep a good heat going for boiling water for steaming. After that, he introduced me to the vintage broom he found on yeebay, and showed me how a good hatter always keeps a clean work shop. He must have gotten a little behind over the weekend, but I didn't mind catching him up being that I was the new guy. Anything to learn from the master. The rest of the day I spent separating the rabbit felt and had to keep the shop door shut when I did this. Fedora always says "Don't want to be caught splittin' hairs!". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am having a ball. Steve has been great. He is an incredibly nice great. The stories just keep rolling.

LLS
Last edited by Local Land Surveyor on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

What a dream come true. You are one lucky guy. Keep us posted on how everything is going. This is just awesome! :shock:

Dave
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:
maboot38 wrote:So the topic of this thread is implying that Land Surveyor is going to visit the Adventurebilt shop to trade notes? build hats?
sigh :( #-o

Ok, read this...3rd paragraph:

viewtopic.php?t=36962

Regards! Michaelson
Happy new year??? :lol: :twisted: ;-)

Shane
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Thanks Shane. I read every day. Don't know how I missed that one.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Kinda not fair guys in my opinion, only because(using myself as an example) I dont read every thread on the forum, just the ones that have a title that catch my eye, and even at that I dont check every section.

Im probably wrong.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Sounds like good times. Smoke a cigar for me when you are down there.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:He first had me splitting cord wood for his vintage wood stove. Had to keep a good heat going for boiling water for steaming. After that, he introduced me to the vintage broom he found on yeebay, and showed me how a good hatter always keeps a clean work shop.
I hear "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" music playing in the background. Learn well and watch out for those brooms, LLS.

RaiderZee
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Local Land Surveyor wrote: The rest of the day I spent separating the rabbit felt and had to keep the shop door shut when I did this. Fedora always says "Don't want to be caught splittin' hairs!". :lol: :lol: :lol:
LLS
Rabbit felt you say?!? Steve, does this mean you have a rabbit body you can make my hat out of? If so, Woo Hoo! \:D/
If not, Boo Hoo. :(
Let me know.
Mike
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

maboot38 wrote:Thanks Shane. I read every day. Don't know how I missed that one.
No problem! Though I may have counted wrong... :-k

Shane
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:What a fantastic first meeting. Steve set me right off into vintage hat making. He first had me splitting cord wood for his vintage wood stove. Had to keep a good heat going for boiling water for steaming. After that, he introduced me to the vintage broom he found on yeebay, and showed me how a good hatter always keeps a clean work shop. He must have gotten a little behind over the weekend, but I didn't mind catching him up being that I was the new guy. Anything to learn from the master. The rest of the day I spent separating the rabbit felt and had to keep the shop door shut when I did this. Fedora always says "Don't want to be caught splittin' hairs!". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am having a ball. Steve has been great. He is an incredibly nice great. The stories just keep rolling.

LLS
Tomorrow Mr. Miyagi say, "Paint the Fence, Wax the Car!"

Wax on, wax off LLS-san!!!!! ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: THAT made me chuckle!

As to 'not being fair', that's why we say you should at least 'scan' ALL threads posted, as the ones I listed above have been up for a while. There are nuggets of gold buried in the most unlikely places, as illustrated.

Sounds to me like a proper apprenticeship has begun. If you don't learn from the get-go how to keep your area clean and organized, it will only get worse the deeper into the craft you go.

Well done, Steve! Good luck, LLS!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Rabbit felt you say?!? Steve, does this mean you have a rabbit body you can make my hat out of? If so, Woo Hoo!
hey Mike, email me your head measurment again. I have misplaced it. Along with which hat you want. Might be a good project to show LLS how to work rabbit, instead of beaver.

Very, very nice chap this LLS. My kind of folks. A real gentleman, and very, very attentive. My vocal chords are sore from me talking his head off! He'a a good talker too. Very enjoyable. Having a great time in Mississippi! Fedora
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Hey, Steve, I'm a good talker too. Can I stop by and you teach me too? :[ [-o<

Dave
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Fedora wrote:
Rabbit felt you say?!? Steve, does this mean you have a rabbit body you can make my hat out of? If so, Woo Hoo!
hey Mike, email me your head measurment again. I have misplaced it. Along with which hat you want. Might be a good project to show LLS how to work rabbit, instead of beaver.

Very, very nice chap this LLS. My kind of folks. A real gentleman, and very, very attentive. My vocal chords are sore from me talking his head off! He'a a good talker too. Very enjoyable. Having a great time in Mississippi! Fedora
Awesome, Steve! I will send an email, and post the info here as well.
Gotta measure my big ol' gourde again.
Thanks,
Mike
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

OK Steve, here's the info for my replacement.

Head size: 22 5/8"

Brim: 2 7/8" X 2 5/8"
5 1/2" Open crown, with no turn in the ribbon or sweatband please. When I have a turn, it distorts too much, because of my egg shaped head. So please, NO TURN. I can bash it myself, as a Raven Bar bash.

I also sent this in an email.

Thanks again,
Mike
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

IndyBlues wrote:OK Steve, here's the info for my replacement.

Head size: 22 5/8"

Brim: 2 7/8" X 2 5/8"
5 1/2" Open crown, with no turn in the ribbon or sweatband please. When I have a turn, it distorts too much, because of my egg shaped head. So please, NO TURN. I can bash it myself, as a Raven Bar bash.

I also sent this in an email.

Thanks again,
Mike
and I will send you the address of where to send it :P
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

And I'll give you guys the address on where to send the money. :BD: :[
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

...and I'll give you the address so you know where to send the...ahhh, man. G got to it before I did. Curse you Indy G, curse you! ;-)

Dave
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Very cool..the more great hat makers, the merrier!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Well, I had the most enjoyable 3 days that I have had in a long time. It was a great learning experience for the both of us! LLS spent each day with me, and so as not to forget what I was teaching, he filmed it for later reference. We covered alot of ground, and hopefully I added to his knowledge. I can say in all sincerity that he indeed added to mine.

Basically LLS, took a hat off of this block, and pulled out his laptop and showed me, in person, how this block can pull off all of the looks in the film. It was a humbling experience, to be honest. He picked up where I left off, and his almost two year quest has ended my own personal quest for the best Raiders block, period. I certainly don't want to sound pompous in any way, in saying this. This guy fixed my weak points, and fixed them the only way they could be fixed.

So, my earlier statement of how I would still be tweaking to the end, I must retract. I can't improve anything on this block. In fact, I will never touch it again. I can't see how it could be improved.

This is a very non symetrical block. That is the key, and the secret that has escaped me for years. Being set in a certain mindset can put you in a stalemate. And, I am guilty your honor of that fault in logic.

Basically LLS spent almost 2 years in trying to copy a vintage HJ. Once he finally got there, the block he ended up with pulls off the look of all of the hats in the film. Now, the SOC hat is the exception, but I have no doubt his block will yield this with the right felt, and other things like drooping the brim, and sliding up the ribbon.

I had blocked a hat on this block, but I used a throw away rabbit body that was still here. It was too stiff, but I used it anyway. I want to show you what it yielded, and the only fault in this hat to me is the stiff felt, and the hat needs to be 3/16 inches shorter. I don't have the time to do this proper by suspending the hat on a block so I just threw it on top of my monitor and snapped off some pics. I am wearing this hat today.

The stiff felt hurts the back shot.

This pic shows to me, how LLS fixed my back radius on the back side of the hat.

Front shots. And yes, I know i have the front pinch a bit crooked. But easy to fix. :lol:

Hope your trip home to Georgia was a safe one my friend. I really enjoyed your visit here. We had a great time!!! And guys, LLS is an Indy fan to the bone. And this hat is very important to him. He has proved it.

All I know is this. I can't see how anyone who has the pleasure of owning a hat from this block would not be completely satisfied to the nth degree. I know that I am. And my quest has come to a very happy ending. LLS and his engineering degree refined this block to perfection. I can't take one bit of credit for this either. The only credit I could take, is I was bright enough to send him a vintage HJ.

What LLS did was simply to spend 2 years getting the exact same shape carved into a piece of wood. Once he matched it to the vintage HJ, it was no surprise that he could get all of the looks from the film out of it. Just by changing the creases, tweaking the brim, etc. If it was any better, I just could not stand it. So a big heartfelt thank you my friend!!!!! You accomplished my quest, and I doubt anyone else without your knowledge of angles, and radius's could have pulled it off. I wish I could show a pic of the block you marked off for me. It looks like a jigsaw puzzle with the various things going on with this blockshape. And very difficult to reproduce unless you have a great eye and a steady hand to work the sander. Nonething is symetrical about this block. It's an English thing, as my block collection of American blocks are all symetrical. And therin is the key, the secret of this hat.

The bad thing is, these blocks have to be handmade, as Lamode can't replicate it with enough accuracy. And that is bad for me personally as well as LLS. Blocks wear out!! I have already worn out one set of CS blocks, and one set of my old Raider blocks. They do burn well in the buck heaters though. :lol:

Again LLS, man, I had a wonderful and a great time with you being here with me for 3 whole days. Folks, it was nonstop talk from beginning to the end. And, as I told you, folks like you who started like me, I just have to love. You were just making a block for your hats. Just like I started. You just took it up to the next and final level. For you not to offer this hat would be a crime to this community. I wish you the best my friend. Regards, Fedora
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

awesome info steve....i can't wait to see what LLS comes up with from his learnings.......but then again, it seems that both parties walked away with something, so kudos.

i can't help but pull some parrallelisms between the 2 of you and between ohio jones and i. LLS is an engineer...and so am i. you were into cabinet making prior to AB and ohio is a super duper woodworking craftsmen. i think there is a synergy there for success :)

i've always had a vision of what i wanted my block to look like based on what a 360 block would yield. i communicated that to lamode and they gave me....well......nothing of the sort. i wish that i truly understood lamode's manufacturing process as that would of made the decision easy to not go to them.

i know exactly what you mean in the difficulty to produce this block.....and ohio knows probably moreso :lol: ......but the man knows how to sculpt wood, let me tell you. it will be very assymettrical with varying degrees of taper as you travel around the block as well as different break points to boot. i've given ohio the profile and front view of what the block should look like in the end......unfortunately, blending the 2 views in real life is the tricky part. i do have the utmost confidence that he can do it, but you are exactly right......it is not an easy block to create.

.....and if you had to recreate that in different sizes for a hat shop....YIKES....that would make for some high overhead costs and in the end, a very expensive hat :cry: ohio believes he can cut production time with plaster hatblocks...could be cost effective that way.

anyways, i thought your story was a cool story of collaboration.....something that i can presently relate to.

cheers,

G
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

That's one heck of a throwaway! I would take in a heartbeat! How much?

The throwaways are the ones that always get the character because you don't care what happens to them.

That's some way nice work.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

LLS:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Looks like we have a LOT to that you for!

Just one question gentlemen (it's an ignorant, "unfamiliar with the complications of the process"- type question, but a question I have to ask nonetheless):
While I'm saving up my pennies to buy what will be - without a doubt - THE finest of hats... can I just send along my Magnoli HJ for a quick Re-Block on the "BLOCK of Blocks"? (THAT's a question, by the way, that I NEVER thought I'd be asking... but Steve's admiration for this block just has my heart fluttering!)
Let me know!
:)
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

LLS I would be very happy to help you learn as well. Just let me know and I'll send you my head measurements, then you can make me a hat to wear. Then send me one of Fedora's hats for comparison. I'll wear both hats alternating every day for six months, and at the end, I'll tell you how it holds up.

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

See?
You guys have a Volunteer Test Crew all ready to mobilize at a moments notice!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

And the best part is, you don't even have to charge me full price!!! I would gladly test out one of your hats for a drastic reduction in cost to the regular price of a hand crafted Fedora, cause I'm just that kind of guy.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This meeting of LLS and Fedora has all the markings of a "remember when" in the making. I can see COW members years from now posting things about how we were "there" when this block was made and LLS launched his own hats, etc. Not unlike how I read posts now from guys who were around when Fedora first got started.

History happening right before us.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

"Yes we can!"
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

I have to agree with Indy G and Steve......a block like Indy G has designed is ....first off....awesome....and has to be made by hand. I do not think the machinery is out there to duplicate something like this. I do think if you make a progession of a few sized blocks.....you could make a jig (been thinking of this in my head for a while) that could nibble them down with-in-a, and then finish them up by hand with some elbow grease and a sander.

I think Indy G may be very very close to perfection in design and I cant wait to get this block to him. With the few hats I have made....I figured using a symmetrical block would not produce the type of hat I wanted. It will produce a close enough for most though.

When I made my first hat....I had a blast. I actually had more fun making the block, flange, and brim jack. I never was going for anything screen accurate.........but I got bit.......hard by the raiders hat bug. I mean I dream about this hat. My wife thinks I am nuts. I just tell her hats to me are like purses to you. I cant tell the difference between 2 Louis Vuittons...and she cant see the differences in my handmade hat and my Dorfman!...Oh well.

Steve...I am glad you and LLS had a great time. I cant wait to see what he produces!!
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Mitch LaRue wrote:LLS:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Looks like we have a LOT to that you for!

Just one question gentlemen (it's an ignorant, "unfamiliar with the complications of the process"- type question, but a question I have to ask nonetheless):
While I'm saving up my pennies to buy what will be - without a doubt - THE finest of hats... can I just send along my Magnoli HJ for a quick Re-Block on the "BLOCK of Blocks"? (THAT's a question, by the way, that I NEVER thought I'd be asking... but Steve's admiration for this block just has my heart fluttering!)
Let me know!
My question is similar. Are all the unproduced Magnoli HJ hats being made with this new block?
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

Wow, W-O-W, WOW!!!!!!
I had the most incredible time at Fedora’s shop. Being in the same room where the Crystal Skull hat was made was like taking a trip into the Lucas archives to me. I saw the blocks, the very blocks, that were used to make Harrison‘s hats and the stunt guys hats. I held them in my hands like they were some kind of golden idol from some movie I saw once...can't recall the title.... just kidding :lol: Trust me folks, they won't be going into the fire! Fedora shared stories with me of the production of the hats, production of the movie, details he discussed with Bernie, and fine points when they had dress rehearsal. In the morning of the first day, Fedora was finishing up on a customers hat. I watched him bash to the movies specs and instantly the Crystal Skull hat was born. No matter what angle, it was THE CRYSTAL SKULL HAT. It looked like Harrison had just taken it off and set it down. Incredible! “Let see Dorfman do that!” I thought. :tdown: No Way!
Watching Fedora work his craft was a genuine pleasure. I was completely in awe of his attention to details. His eye for the felt, his touch during pouncing, his attention to bow detailing, and his steadiness on sweatband installation is amazing. As he was showing me his craft, I was thinking about how many of these hats had been produced by this man and how long he had been doing this, and he worked on these hats as if they were the first hats he had made. Constantly thinking of what the customers expectations were of this hat and making sure it was the best he could do. The folks who have gotten one of his hats are a special lot. The adventurebilt moto of “Made to Measure, Built to Last” is really a creed.
Fedora, himself, is a great guy. Over the last 3 ½ years he and I had only talked on the phone (when I could get him) ;-) and emailed (when he would read them) ;-) . Meeting him in person had me wondering. But, after spending three day with him, I feel like I have known him for 20 years. He and I talked Indy and never stopped. We traded hat chat about “the hat from this angle in that scene” to “the difference in the bash style in the Cairo hat versus the Raven Bar hat”. He was such a good sport about letting me dvd record him. It was just like making a documentary and he just rolled along like it was just an average day at the shop. He is so modest about his work. While I was there, a local reporter with a local publication came by to take pictures of the hat to use in an upcoming article. Fedora just had this “ahh shucks. Twern’t nothing’” attitude. He is really a first rate man and one I am proud to call my friend.
Boy did I learn a lot. Hat making 101 with a crash course in advanced hattery 402. Fedora would patiently answer my many questions. Some of my professor’s I had could learn a thing or two from him.
On the last day, I worked through a hat with him pulling it off of one of my blocks. I went through my bashing techniques with him. As I turned to walk away and model the hat, Fedora spoke out “That is the hat. Man you have nailed it”. I then realized that out of all the pictures and the videos I sent him, this was the first time Fedora has seen this hat with the revised block on someone else’s head….in person. Pictures and even video can only tell you so much. And even having the hat on yourself using mirrors from every conceivable direction is still only a reflection. To see the hat in action in person is the true test. Fedora saw it instantly. That was my litmus test. If he says yes, it must be so.
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I am more excited today than I was the first day I met Fedora. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Fedora’s shop. I am looking forward to another trip. Thank you Fedora for the kind words. I had a super time trading stories. I had a super time all around. This post is proof I got home safely, by the way. :) I am looking forward to my hat production. I’ll be posting more info as the time nears. It will be soon. PM if you have some questions.

LLS
Your Friendly Neighborhood Land Surveyor/Hatter
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I cant wait to see some more hats off this block. Humm maybe my rabbit AB could use a tuneup. :)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Can someone please explain to me why we don't have a *DROOLING* Emoticon?
:P
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

=P~ Couldn't tell ya.
Mike ;-)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Your Honor, I withdraw the question and request a recess on account of my own incompetence and laziness.
:oops:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Your Honor, I withdraw the question and request a recess on account of my own incompetence and laziness.
:oops:

it's always operator error.