A better lighter

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

A better lighter

Post by LNBright »

I still haven't gotten around to painting up my own clover lighter. However, for once, I think procrastination has paid off (again, actually! lol...)

I had been strongly mulling over using a "Vintage" Zippo... not a genuine older Zippo, I mean a new Zippo from their Vintage line of lighters... they're squared off, more like the earliest zippos. However, it wouldn't have been perfect, as Elsa's lighter was arched on top.

Well, I think I've found a better choice.

Have you seen the new 1941 Zippo now offered? http://www.zippo.com/products/index.html (Use the far left drop-down menu under Features to see the 1941 collection).

Notice, most especially, that the hinge is a 4-barrel hinge, and that the side-to-front/back edges are much sharper. Go look at http://www.indygear.com/gear/lighter.shtml and compare the close-up of Elsa's lighter, the current Zippo further down on the page, and the 1941 lighter.

Thoughts?

-Les
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

I, for one, think you might have a winner there. Keep us apprised of your progress!

Regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Okay, I stopped in yesterday evening, a local shop is supposed to have a 1941-model Zippo on the way, should be here in a couple of weeks.

I'll post back after it arrives.

-Leslie
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What was the price? I couldn't find one on the site, and you're right, this one is a BEAUTY! I always carry a Zippo in my jacket pocket. Regards. Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Michaelson wrote:What was the price? I couldn't find one on the site, and you're right, this one is a BEAUTY! I always carry a Zippo in my jacket pocket. Regards. Michaelson
Left side, in the handwarmer. Right? Just checking. :-)
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Retail on the chrome is ~$18.... a couple of places on the 'net had it for ~$15, but after shipping, I'd rather buy it locally....

Actually, I'd rather use a silver one, but, at ~$170, well..... I think I'll be using a chrome one instead.... :)

It has the squarer edges, and the different hinge... I think it'd be a bit more accurate in appearance. We'll see......

-Les
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Oh!

Speaking of.....

Yes, I've been thinking.....

Would it be feasible, to somehow, install some sort of a spring clip inside the handwarmer pocket to keep the lighter in there from falling out?

Maybe not in the handwarmer itself, but maybe in the body and the external pocket, to pinch the leather in to hold the lighter w/o marring it...

It might be too much to even bother with, but, maybe there's an "elegant solution".....

-Leslie
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

They do have the "lossproof" model.

-Sergei
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Of COURSE the left hand pocket. (grins) That's a great price as well. I'm going to have to see if I can find one somewhere then. I'm thinking I may have some luck next time when in either Knoxville or Nashville, as they have small smoke shops in the malls, and MAYBE they'll have one there. My clover leaf Zippo got me out of two REALLY dark hallways in the bowels of the Queen Mary during the past two summits, so you never know when you may actually NEED that extra light. :shock: Regards. Michaelson
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Sergei,
Ya know.... I should've gotten one of those years ago! lol....

My first Zippo (which I had a clover engraved onto it when I got it), slipped out of the pocket of my shorts at a fireworks display one summer.

My second Zippo, w/ the Eagle/Globe/Anchor on it, I have no idea whatever happened to it.

My third Zippo, well.... I'm embarrassed to say, was left in the pocket of a rented tux at an out-of-town wedding... in the rush after the wedding, I changed clothes, left the tux with the father of the bride to return, and never thought about the back-up for the candle-lighting in my pocket.

So, I just happened to be in need of a new Zippo anyway......

The local shop is actually a really nice tobbaconist, a room-sized walk-in humidor, pipe tobaccos are blended in-house, etc. Nicer than the ones in the mall in K-town, IMHO... but, I would expect Nashville to have some that were as nice.... well, for that matter, I never looked, but Knoxville probably has some nicer ones not in the mall somewhere or another...

Anyway, I'm sure that one of them will have it.

The fellow at this one said he was just getting his Christmas ordering ready, and that he'd add another one for me and set it aside, so, I'll pop back by there before Halloween and pick it up....

-Les
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Hmm... That "lossproof" model would fit great in the anti dimming kit pocket of the Mk VII, nice and securely attached on the string or that brass ring on some of the models.

You know that pocket and string, huh Michaelson? :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Im curious now, do you folks carry lighters becuase you smoke, or just in case you get tied up in and old castle? :? :wink:

I J
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Im curious now, do you folks carry lighters becuase you smoke, or just in case you get tied up in and old castle?
I don't smoke, but always carry a lighter. For one, it's a great "just in case" item. Two, is best illustrated with this scenario.

*click, click, click* gorgeous woman says a curse as she bangs her bic lighter against her palm trying to light her ciggarette.

*Clink, click* as Craig pulls out the old zippo and gives her a light.

Conversation ensues

:D
Unsung Hero
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Unsung Hero »

Farnham54 wrote:I don't smoke, but always carry a lighter. For one, it's a great "just in case" item. Two, is best illustrated with this scenario.

*click, click, click* gorgeous woman says a curse as she bangs her bic lighter against her palm trying to light her ciggarette.

*Clink, click* as Craig pulls out the old zippo and gives her a light.

Conversation ensues
quoted for poignancy
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

I don't smoke, but carry one for a similar reason to Farnham's. My wife told me once a gentleman always carries a lighter. My problem is, I play with it too much, and it's usually out of fuel if I'm ever asked for a light. :oops:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I used to smoke cigars by the box full, but after the youngn's came along, I decided that I really didn't need that habit anymore. I occasionally enjoy a fine stogie, usually when standing with friends at the QM summit :wink: , but to tell you the truth, having a zippo has actually helped me get out of a few problems due to the lack of having a flashlight. I mentioned the 2 times on the Queen Mary during the MK guerilla tours (he'll have to explain that one to you. 8) ), and as recently as 2 weeks ago when I had to check the water level in the leaky radiator of our pickup truck while on a road trip in the middle of the night along the side of the interstate, and found that none of the onboard flashlights had good batteries :roll: The zippo worked perfectly for the level check. I wouldn't recommend checking gasoline levels that way, but water is ok. :wink: I've also had occasion to need a flame to start brush/trash pile fires, arson, you know, the usual stuff. :twisted: Zippo always delivers. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Ah, Zippo lighters. Brings back lots of fond memories. Sneakin' a Pall Mall from my Dad's pack and the accompanying smell of lighter fluid as I popped open the lighter, using two fingers and the thumb. It was cool if you could do this on the first pop. I can recall when most everyone carried a Zippo, or a cheap copy. I can also recall putting too much fluid in the thing and sticking it in the pants pocket. Ouch!!! Still, I think the next time I go to a city, I will look for one. I like that 1941 model, and the price ain't bad at all. What I liked about the old Zippos is you could light it in a wind, not so with the disposable butane ones of today. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Fedora, do you remember at Indyfan when somebody was experimenting with the idea of installing a rubber gasket around the inside of a Zippo to help keep the fluid from evaporating? If I recall, you were the one who advised against it, as the fumes would build up in the lid, essentially creating a small bomb on the first flick of the flint. Wonder what ever happened to that guy. He never posted again. :shock: Regards. Michaelson
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

To Lnbright
Would you be willing to paint the clover on some 1941 Zippos if we sent them to you and of course paid You ?? Do you have any idea of a charge ?

Sharpetoys
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I vaguely recall the gasket thing. Wonder if he blew himself up? Nah. :lol: Fedora
Paulcrastination
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Paulcrastination »

If you folks are looking for your lighters to be handpainted... I am more than capable. Anyone inerested?
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Paul,
You know how to do the whole resin thing and lay the clover in the white backround? Pshh count me in, the reason I dont like the factory clover lighter is that the stem curls the wrong direction, and there was something else that wasnt accurate....hmmmm

IJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The accuracy wasn't any big deal for me, as the Studio cloverleaf originally commissioned by Indy Magnoli back in the good old days is what I carry. The problem I see with it is the paint scratches after you carry it for a while. Gives it character, and like I preach, I KNOW where all the scratches came from on my adventures, BUT, that said, it's a question of how long is the surface going to last due to the poor silk screen job by Zippo. Regards. Michaelson
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Michaelson wrote:The problem I see with it is the paint scratches after you carry it for a while. Gives it character, and like I preach, I KNOW where all the scratches came from on my adventures, BUT, that said, it's a question of how long is the surface going to last due to the poor silk screen job by Zippo. Regards. Michaelson
Has anyone ever figured out a way to protect their Studio Zippo from scratching? I was considering putting a thin coat of polyurethane on mine but I'm affraid that it might ruin the silkscreen.
PBG
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

prettybigguy wrote:
Michaelson wrote:The problem I see with it is the paint scratches after you carry it for a while. Gives it character, and like I preach, I KNOW where all the scratches came from on my adventures, BUT, that said, it's a question of how long is the surface going to last due to the poor silk screen job by Zippo. Regards. Michaelson
Has anyone ever figured out a way to protect their Studio Zippo from scratching? I was considering putting a thin coat of polyurethane on mine but I'm affraid that it might ruin the silkscreen.
PBG
Yeah, I figured out a way to protect the Studio lighter. My first one really ran into problems. I usually carry change or keys in my pockets, and I am a regular carrier of lighters (cigar smoker). Within a month my Studio was really scratched. Also, when I reload my fuel, I noticed you have to make sure that the fuel does not spill over onto the silk screen. I noticed that several times there was spillage and upon lighting the silkscreen became compromised.

So the solution is NEVER carry the lighter within anything else in your pocket. And always be careful to NOT overfill with fuel. I have my replacement for over 2 years now, with no scratches following my practice.

I love my zippos. I have over 20 in my collection. The most reliable lighter in the world. Being a cigar smoker, I occasionally get gifted with very fancy butane lighers. One that comes to mind is a silver DuPont lighter that retails for about $400. It's the king of lighters. It leaks. Sure it can be fixed but $400 for a leaky lighter?

When I go camping there is nothing more reliable to light my backpacking stove and my stogie, it's my trusty zippo.

-Sergei
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Some totally useless cigar trivia for you!

Post by Michaelson »

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm from the old OLD school of cigar smoking, where lighters were NEVER (notice 'caps') tolerated, as matches were the ONLY correct way to light a cigar. After sealing the outside surface, you performed the 'false start' with your first match, making sure the end was evenly lit. After it went out, you used the second match to stoke it up. If done correctly, using this method was the only time you had to light the cigar, and you weren't pulling the fumes from the lighter THROUGH the tobacco in the first pull, which chemically alters the flavor of the cigar. By the way, the term 'stogie' originated with mule skinners during the days of the conestoga wagon trains, where the mule drivers used to constantly chew on their stubbie cigars, which were from then on called 'stogies' due to the wagon they drove. How's THIS for a bunch of useless info! :shock: Regards. Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Well I will go one step further in lighting a cigar. The purist, will not allow the flame to touch the cigar. In fact the purist, will not allow a match that contains sulphur to light the cigar. Instead, you light a stick of cedar strips that light the cigar. That way you impart a slight flavor of "spanish" cedar while you start the cigar.

After awhile, you kind of carried away with ritual and just say, "screw it" I want the dang thing lit. And yes, I get the cigar snobs looking at my funny when I whip out my zippo, since there is a perception you can taste the zippo fuel when you light. But there is even a solution to that. You light the zippo and wait for about 5 seconds and let the fumes from the fuel burn out. Then you light the cigar from the heat of the flame, not the flame. Oh well.

Yeah, interesting lore on the stogie word. Yes, I heard this.

-S
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, we're talking strickly points for those cigar snobs sitting around in smoke shops and lounges. I used to be a pipe smoker, and couldn't keep one lit when I went to railroad yards to watch the 'action'. My college roommate handed me one of his cigars BECAUSE it would stay lit, and I was hooked from that point on. I also started carrying a Zippo for the same reason. Ever tried to light a cigar on a windy night around moving railroad equipment? It ain't gona happen. Now a ZIPPO on the other hand.... :tup: Regards. Michaelson
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

I just ordered the Repro 1941 Zippo. The cost $12.95 and $1.95 shippingwww.LighterSales.Com <http://www.lightersales.com/>
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

sharpetoys,

a) That's a good price!
b) Uh..... I've not done this before, I have NO idea how it's gonna turn out, it'll be a learning experience.... so, I'm not going to suggest that you send me a lighter to paint, lol, at least not 'til we see how mine turns out.... :)

Actually, I occasionally smoke a pipe, mostly when sitting around a campfire at a Rover rally.... either a pipe or a cigar... cigarettes have never interested me, really.

FWIW.....

-Les
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

2 things:

1)
Michaelson, I found just what you need for a Zippo....
http://www.lightersales.com/ziplights.htm

:)

2)
Okay, Ive been flipping between pics, and have noticed something.
If you go over to the lighter page, and really look at the pic of the original prop, and then compare it to a pic of a plain zippo, then compare it to the pic of the 1941 zippo.....

As I pointed out, the edges where the side planels meet the front/rear panels are sharper on the 1941 model, which better match the actual prop. And, the top radius on the 1941 matches the radius on the prop (and on a current zippo), which would be different from their "vintage" line of square zippos (which, would be more correct for the 1930's).

However, I've just noticed that, on the 1941 model, where the top facet of the lighter meets the sides, the transition is rounded, moreso than on the pic of the prop. The current zippo is also somewhat rounded there, too, but not as much as the 1941 model. The actual prop, however, is even less rounded at the location.

Original Prop:
http://www.indygear.com/gear/lighter.shtml
(can see regular current zippos on this page, too)

1941 Repro:
http://www.lightersales.com/1941replica.htm

So, in ways it's more accurate than the traditional, but in this way it's not more accurate than a regular zippo. I think it's better, but, still not perfect. Now that I'm looking, I can't find a zippo that has as square of a transition between the side and top as the actual prop has....

I wonder, is the actual prop a zippo-copy?
Or, is the actual prop a genuine older zippo (post '41 but pre-current zippo) that was found in an antique shop and painted up for the movie?

Any zippo collectors out there who happen to study nuances as such?

Just trying to be perfectly clear, here.....

-Leslie
Doc Ephraim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Doc Ephraim »

Hey LNBright... Check out the Knoxville Cigar Company, in the old city. Awesome tobacconist, and they used to carry quite a few lighters. Here's their website...

http://www.pipesforless.com/

I'm diggin this lighter. I may have to order one...
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

I doubt we are going to find the prop lighter so i think the next best thing is the zippo 1941 repro at least it looks like the old Zippo.we need to get the clover painted on just like the prop but so it doesn't scratch off.!!

Sharpetoys
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Doc,

Thanks for the lead, I'll have to check 'em out next time I'm in K-town... This shop Here in Kingsport is nice, considering it's in Kingsport! :)

Sharpetoys,

I wholly agree, I just strive to be honest, and didn't want to mistakenly give the impression that it was perfect. As Doc said, I'm diggin' this lighter.... :)

-L
Unsung Hero
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Unsung Hero »

if any of you are wondering what to do with studio lighters to protect them, i remember from the fall guy page that it was possible to put a layer of epoxy on top of it with out any ill effects. HOWEVER, you should be very careful not to mess it up, as you can't pick it off and restart like you could with a painted one. If people are interested I can give more detailed instructions on how to do this, but am too lazy to put it all up now if you all know or don't care.

I also can give a brief (err um "brief"), but good, explanation on how to make your own lighter if you want. Its really really easy and basically just involves a bunch of waiting for epoxy to dry. I finished another lighter right after the fall guy page went down, so the info's fresh in my mind.
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

I just picked up this little lighter about 45 minutes ago. Very cool.

I'll post pictures if you guys want...let me know...

Chad
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

yes, post pics!!! I don't know why, really, I just like seein' pics!!! :lol:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Indiana Jon wrote: I also can give a brief (err um "brief"), but good, explanation on how to make your own lighter if you want. Its really really easy and basically just involves a bunch of waiting for epoxy to dry. I finished another lighter right after the fall guy page went down, so the info's fresh in my mind.
That would be great if it isn't too much trouble, thank you!

Regards,
Swindiana
Unsung Hero
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Unsung Hero »

ok swindy i started on a set of instructions here

its just started off right now, but it should be all through in a day or two
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Thanks a lot! I think this will be my next project as I have a Zippo in mind to convert.

High regards,
Swindiana
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

MORE INFO THE ZIPPO 1941 REPRO LIGHTER
Several distinguishing characteristics identify the 1941 Replica. The 1941 case has flat planes with sharp, less rounded edges where the front and back surfaces meet the sides, and the lid and bottom are joined with a four-barrel hing, rather than the current five-barrel.

The inside unit closely replicates the design of the original 1941 model inside unit. Straight, flat sides meet the front and back surfaces with squared edges. The chimney has fewer holes, and a hollow rivet holds the striking wheel in place, similar to the 1941 design.

An exclusive bottom stamp authenticates the 1941 Replica models.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Awesome looking lighter, and their fairly inexpensive to boot. Might use this as a base for a new run of the clovers.