question about horsehide from wested.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bullet08
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

question about horsehide from wested.

Post by bullet08 »

so i have been wearing my wested horsehide raider everyday since i got it.. about 2 and a half week or so.. i put pecard on it after first week. the jacket is nice and soft. almost too soft. it's nothing like what i have heard about horsehide. my cowhide perfrecto from 80's is still much more stiff than this horsehide.

what i'm wondering is when does the grain pop in? i have ton of tiny grains all over the jacket. but i'm not getting big grain that i have seen on some of the pix on the forum. i don't want to run a bath on this jacket since i don't want it to shrink in anyway, and i don't care too much for distressed look. just want to see some nice big grains popping out.

pete
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

dont expect the grain to pop upin 2 and a half weeks.

its horsehide,it will come eventualley,but not in such short time.

but a good soak wont hurt the jacket if you let it airdry in normal room temp..

airdry to about 90% dry and then start wearing the jacket,at first it turns out really stiff,but a little more wear after that and you have the softness back pluss alot of grain.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

The water trick really does work. I don't know if my jacket counts as having big grain, but you can judge for yourself (I posted the pics on your last topic). I didn't "soak" mine. Just put it into a sink full of cold water, for maybe a minute? Threw it on, wore it until dry (which didn't take too long because it wasn't soaked), with some scrunching in there. The body hasn't shortened. The sleeves have but that's mostly from the arm wrinkles. Start off small and conservative, and I think you'll be fine.

Otherwise, I think you'll either have to be very patient (I mean, months to years). Which I think is cool too!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

The grain popping out is like a reward for wearing it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

crismans wrote:The grain popping out is like a reward for wearing it.
Most of us call those wrinkles, and believe me, we don't see them as rewards as we get older. :(

Oh, you were talking about the jackets, weren't you? :shock: :[

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Michaelson wrote:Most of us call those wrinkles, and believe me, we don't see them as rewards as we get older. :(
Low on your personal supply of Pecards, Michaelson? ;-)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Most of us call those wrinkles, and believe me, we don't see them as rewards as we get older. :(
Low on your personal supply of Pecards, Michaelson? ;-)
I prefer to refer to it has "grain and patina"
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: question about horsehide from wested.

Post by Louisiana Jones »

bullet08 wrote:.... it's nothing like what i have heard about horsehide. my cowhide perfrecto from 80's is still much more stiff than this horsehide.
Yo Bullet.. Like you I had a Schott Perfecto and some other moto jackets before ever purchasing a Wested in HH. And like you I was a bit shocked at how soft and supple Wested's HH is.. I had to email Gemma to confirm they actually gave me horse! If you're used to motorcycle leathers then I think any Wested you get will be surprisingly soft. I read a lot of posts on here about the HH being so stiff and was let down when I actually got mine.

As for the grain poppage (is that a word?), I wore mine for around 8 months before some sections of the jacket were graining up like good ol' HH, but on the whole when compared to my Schott or Lost Worlds HH the Wested had very little grain.

Now my Novapelle jacket is a different story.. it's graining up like crazy.. if I saw pictures alone I would bet money that it was horse.. it's not graining like a cowhide.. it's such a nice leather.

LJ
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Interesting stuff. I've already decided that when I get my wested, it will be HH. No two ways about it.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I love my Horsehide Wested and there is something certainly to be said for getting it measured by Peter personally, as he did for me on the QM. It has conformed to my shape perfectly.

It's not too terribly wrinkled though. I has remained pristine. My lambskin on the other hand...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

hey hem.care to show us some pictures of your horsey?

I remeber the pictures of when it was new.I would llike to see how it looks today
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Indiana Holt wrote:hey hem.care to show us some pictures of your horsey?

I remeber the pictures of when it was new.I would llike to see how it looks today
Sure. I'll break it out soon. :)
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

That will be nice to see. I wonder how horse looks after lots of wear such was the type of tones it takes on.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Whats the color like in real life and hows the drape? all i have ever owned is goat and a vanson X1 , which i think is heavy heavy cow
it seems that all the HH pic on here have a red/purple hue to it 8)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes it does, just like I told you in the pm's yesterday ;-)

its a great winter jacket.in the spring,summer and fall I would have lamb or goat. becasue the HH is heavy,there is no escaping that.you wont forget you are wearing it. but it will go pretty soft all around,but still stiffer and heavier the goat.

but the HH is really durable and will probably outlast you.you dont have to worrie when wearing it.
bullet08
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bullet08 »

Heyjude7 wrote:Whats the color like in real life and hows the drape? all i have ever owned is goat and a vanson X1 , which i think is heavy heavy cow
it seems that all the HH pic on here have a red/purple hue to it 8)
i'm considered colour blind by my eye doc. i can tell the colours apart and know what is what, but not very good at naming what they are. and can't never read the darn dots on that crazy charts. best i can tell is that the colour is dark brown. underside of the top of the leather from the sample that came is also brown.

the leather is about 1.5mm thick. and testing it with pecard leather dressing, it goes to the other side within 24 hrs.

as to the weight, it's much lighter than cowhide perfecto that i have. but it's heavier than lambskin A-2 i had back in 80's. also somewhat heavier than goatskin i had sometime ago.

i think it drapes nice, but i'm not going for SA look or anything, so not sure what the standard is in this forum.

pete
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

hey Holt i wasnt not takin your advice, i was just seeing what others thought about HH..
i have a vanson X1 and its stiff! i dont know what type of leather it is... i bought it from Indy Magnoli last year... it feels like it will never break in..
hopefully its not HH.. i do want to get a HH Wested though to see what its like 8)
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Indiana Holt wrote:its a great winter jacket.in the spring,summer and fall I would have lamb or goat. becasue the HH is heavy,there is no escaping that.you wont forget you are wearing it. but it will go pretty soft all around,but still stiffer and heavier the goat.
You know, maybe Wested HH is The heavy among the other Wested hides but it is less heavy than my old faux leather jacket. Now that was a hard to wear thing. Wested HH is much thinner and its been almost a week of me wearing it, hide already start to feel softer, it even drapes a little different now. But jacket is really strong and durable, it sure looks and feels solid. About weather conditions. you know, it is not a winter jacket in ususal sence, but with a bit of layering it will do just fine. Last weekend was really cold, about -20 C, i was walking with my dog late and jacket was making sounds as i go, leather was like - krk,krk. Then i got back home and my wife looked at me and said, my god, your jacket is shrinking. As i think leather is breathing and because of the cold it shrunk a little, but after some nice warm evening in a closet everything was back to normal. It is too bad i forgot to ask Gemma to send me samples of different hides, now i am thinking about buying Novapelle jacket. :roll: