The Scoop on the New Whip-Basics Beginner DVD

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

The Scoop on the New Whip-Basics Beginner DVD

Post by LemonLauren »

A few people have discussed this new whipcracking tutorial previously, and we've got some additional information now that may be of interest...

Paul and I have yet to see it in its entirety, but we have seen the clips posted on youtube. Here is what we know so far – which has us really excited!...

First, this is the very first beginners whipcracking tutorial video to be tested on real focus groups, and re-cut NINE TIMES based on the evaluations from these focus groups. Each focus group was comprised of five or six complete strangers (a new group each time), people who had never picked up a whip before. Each group was given the video, a laptop to play it on, and a whip, and then sent out into a field to practice – no explanations, and no help. The idea was to simulate the conditions a real customer might be faced with after he bought the tutorial.

There also was a dispute between the producers and the whip teacher after the video was finally finished. The producers wanted to sell each disc separately – an NTSC video, a PAL video, and a data video that could be played on a laptop. They told him he couldn't make any money if each order came with two discs. But the teacher wanted to give everyone the opportunity to have a version to watch on a TV, and a version to take on a laptop outdoors to practice with. His whole idea behind making this tutorial was to create the beginners guide that he wished he could have had when he first started to learn how to use a whip. In the end, the teacher chose to give up virtually all profit on the video so that each package would include a TV video and a data video for the price of one. Paul and I know the teacher pretty well through lots of phone and email conversations (he also owns a whip from each of us, as well as whips from several other skilled whipmakers), so honestly this comes as no big surprise. His passion for whipcracking as a hobby and a fine skill is a selfless love he truly wishes to share with as many people as possible, which is exactly how Paul and I feel too!

So at the teacher's request, MidWestWhips is going to be receiving a bulk of these videos to distribute to beginning whipcrackers in the US. We are also foregoing virtually any profit on these videos, so that beginners across the states will be able to purchase them without the higher shipping costs and longer wait times that would come with ordering from Europe (where the video was produced). Keep in mind that this tutorial is for the true beginner, not for someone who already has the basic cracks mastered. But if you are just working through some of your first cracks with a brand new whip, or you plan to buy your first whip in the near future, this sounds like the perfect tutorial.

We anticipate receiving the first shipment of these videos on or before October 20th, and we'll ship them out immediately upon arrival to anyone who pre-orders between now and then. Our standard shipping method is USPS Priority Mail, so anyone in the US should receive their copy 1-3 business days after they arrive here.

US Customers go to www.midwestwhips.com for the link to pre-order and for pricing.
European Customers go to www.whip-basics.de for the link to order, pricing, preview clips, and more information.

If the new information doesn't load for you on either of these pages, click refresh on your browser.

As soon as we receive the video, we'll try to post a more detailed review, and hopefully lots of other people here will get the video and be able to post their reviews too! US customers, don't forget to pre-order so that you'll be included in the first batch to hit the states! :)

Thanks,

Lauren Wickline & Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

I have one of these coming my way already and will post a review once it arrives
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Just orderered it myself from midwestwhips. The only crack I can get consistently is an overhead crack and a variation of it which I can sometimes make into a combo. I hope to learn some things from this dvd.
Last edited by scot2525 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks for that update Lauren, I am glad to hear that you guys are picking up the distribution for this video in the States. I have a copy on the way from the maker for review and am looking forward to seeing it, especially given his enthusiasm for the art or the whip.
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

Just ordered my copy as well. I just received the old "Whip Cracking with the Masters" video earlier this week, so it will be very interesting to compare the 2 teaching styles.

Thanks for letting us know about this video!
ulldarborealis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ulldarborealis »

just placed a order getting it shipped to my brother

thanks now only to find a place to crack the whip with out 3 months of snow this winter

richard
Brisco
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Brisco »

Just placed my order. I can not wait. :whip:
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: The Scoop on the New Whip-Basics Beginner DVD

Post by IndyWhips »

LemonLauren wrote:Image
Am I the only one thats noticed the Vol 1 in the top right hand corner?.....Is there a Vol2 made? being made? planned to be made?

I'll look forward to reading peoples reviews on this :)

Tony
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

At my advanced age, I sometimes miss the obvious, but just who is the teacher/instructor? I do not see a name mentioned in the thread? I cannot discern a name on the picture.

What are his qualifications?
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Thanks to the people who have pre-ordered so far - the DVDs are somewhere between Germany and the US right now, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

The instructor, Robert, doesn't claim to be a "master whip artist," and so far as I know, he's not a movie actor or stuntman. But he at least has the basic cracks down well (you can see that in the preview clips on his site) and he really pays close attention to good form. He's also got access to people and equipment in the video recording and editing world, and the dedication to work with the focus groups and recut the tutorial nine times (that still amazes me). His idea was to make a video for total beginners that just works through the basics very slowly and with plenty of explanation of how to achieve good form, and how to avoid a lot of common mistakes.

There are quite a few people who have already pre-ordered, so I'm sure we'll be reading a lot of reviews here soon.

Thanks,

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Hello.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Robert Amper. My friends call me Bob, or Robby. I am the teacher on that whip-basics tutorial.
The question was asked what qualifies me. Well, I practiced and practice very hard. From seven days a week I practice and learn five days between
one and two hours every day. I give lessons and work as consultant for TV and Movie productions. Means, I train actors for scenes, where whips
are needed, or work now and then as stunt double. Especially when it comes to wraps, or scenes, where anybody uses the whip to grab a gun,
a knife or something else from someone other’s hands.

“Whip Basics - A Beginners Guide” is made only for the pure, real beginners. I'm afraid that everyone with experience will find that DVD boring.
It is made only for those who are interested in whip cracking, but have no teacher, no explanation. If you like, you could check the homepage
- there is all explained in detail, and you can watch a few youtube clips. It’s www.Whip-Basics.de.

I received several emails in which folks asked me “are you a whipmaster?” And I answer all the time “no, I’m not”. I’d never call myself a whipmaster.
Out there are so much self declared whipmasters - the world doesn’t need one more. When it comes to whip cracking, I’m kind of ground school teacher.
I teach the basics. And as “Boggstandard” mentioned his “advanced” age… (by the way - how old are you, my friend?) I’m 47.
I hope, this is advanced and old enough to teach :o)

At least all I can say is, that we did our best to help bringing whip cracking to more people. Especially here in Europe the word “whip” is very fast
associated with dark clubs and people dressed in black leather. I want to change that. To crack a whip is a healthy thing and it’s a lot of fun!
At least it improves the hand/eye coordination abilities and brings you to go out into nature. So all I can do, is hope that you accept this tutorial
and perhaps - like it.

All the best to you,
Robby
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

Whip Basics wrote:Hello.

Especially here in Europe the word “whip” is very fast
associated with dark clubs and people dressed in black leather. I want to change that.
Robby
Are you suggesting that people shouldn't go to dark clubs and dress in leather if they so choose?

Tony :whip:
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

No, I don’t.

Everybody should do what they like to do. I’m simply saying - in the European area - whips are mostly associated to that.
And that’s wrong; it’s only a very small aspect. Whips are much more than that.

Robby
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Robby, I'm glad you chimed in on this topic! We've got quite a few pre-orders - lots of us here are looking forward to your beginners tutorial. Welcome to COW. :)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

Whip Basics wrote:No, I don’t.

Everybody should do what they like to do. I’m simply saying - in the European area - whips are mostly associated to that.
And that’s wrong; it’s only a very small aspect. Whips are much more than that.

Robby
I'm very pleased to hear your not suggesting that...

I agree that it's only one aspect of whips, I disagree that it's a small aspect though.....we all must speak as we find and in my experience it is a very large aspect of whips...

Good luck with your video I sincerely wish you well with it and welcome to COW.

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Whip Basics wrote:.
Out there are so much self declared whipmasters - the world doesn’t need one more.
All the best to you,
Robby

well said..... well said...
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

I have mine on order as well and look forward to viewing it. Learning proper form is always the hard part. In this world of cracking, there are no local organizations to go to to learn, like baseball or soccer, etc... So instructional media like this should be really helpful.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

As a whip instructor I find this thread interesting. I don't need certification from a national board or my name in the credits of a big screen movie to teach my skill, and teach it well. Who promoted Anthony, Gery, and Alext to be teachers? No one, they decided they could share a skill set and set out to do so. Now we look to them as the top tier of whip instruction. But they had to start somewhere, with no certification or movie credits. There are many good whip users out there but that doesn't make a good whip teacher. And from what I've seen of this DVD, he's a fine teacher. The response on this board and for the orders backs it up. And in the end you can look to the students learning as a yardstick for success. It would appear the gentleman can back up his words with a very well put together DVD and an enthusiastic student base. I'd say that's more then qualification for me.
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

hollywood1340 wrote: I'd say that's more then qualification for me.
**Nods**

Yup, there is a guy here in the UK that springs to mind who is without doubt a really great teacher,(no real point mentioning his name, nobody will have heard of him here) near everyone thats taught the basics by him goes on to become a really good whip chucker.....he's never progressed further than that himself but seems to get his buzz from teaching then watching the progression of others....

Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Hey Robby,

Welcome to the forum.

I was just curious about the lack of attribution in all the talk-up to the DVD.
As a classroom teacher, I understand that enthusiasim and practical experience can be real assets in teaching. It sounds as if you have both.

Good luck with your DVD.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

YES!!! MY DVD ARRIVED YESTERDAY!!!

I've known Robby for quite a while and we've been discussing this project on the phone and via e-mails as it moved along. Robby was very open minded regarding my "amateur questions and desires" and I've been very excited to finally see this DVD come to live.

Yesterday it arrived and since I just had a customer on visit anyway, we watched the DVD from start 'til end with GREAT pleasure!!! Every detail, every single movement is explained par excellence and if it wouldn't have been so bloody wet and dark outside, we had gone cracking immediately after watching this :) What really thrilled me, was to get an explanation on why a crack DOESN'T work. Not only does the DVD explain very detailed how to crack, it also gives you advices on the most typical errors that a beginner (like me) would make and thereby NOT succeed!!! That is something I hadn't seen before and it really makes it a LOT easier to catch, if you know what not to do.

AWESOME DVD Robby!!! You couldn't have done any better.

Thanks for making this available. I know how much time and hard work you put into it.

Regards,

Marc
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Thanks so much for the welcome,

and thanks to Marc for his review. I know Marc as a very critical person. The more I'm happy about what he wrote.
For it's not a friendly turn, but his opinion. Today I became the message that the DVDs arrived at the US Customs
at the 17th, so they should be very soon with Lauren and Paul.

Thanks again for the welcome...!

Your's,
Robby
midwestwhips
Vendor

DVD's are in!!!

Post by midwestwhips »

The Whip-Basics DVD's are in!!!

Robby did an amazing job with this dvd, and Lauren and I will be posting a full review tomorrow.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who pre-ordered the dvd's. All of the pre-orders were shipped today, and I will be emailing you your tracking number shortly.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

GOt the notice mine is on its way-Thnaks Midwest!!
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Recieved my shipping notice as well mine should be here Friday at the latest.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

First off, like Paul said yesterday, we both really love Robby's Whip-Basics DVD. We watched it as soon as it arrived, and were just as impressed as we'd hoped to be.

The DVD covers 5 cracks: the underhand flick, the forward flick, the sidearm flick (aka the reverse horizontal), the cattleman's crack (aka the circus crack), and the overhead cattleman's crack (aka the horizontal crack). After detailed explanations of each of these cracks and showing them from multiple angles and with different hands, Robby then shows how to combine these cracks into a simple beginners routine that looks pretty cool.

Like Marc mentioned in his review, one of the best parts (IMO) is that many of the cracks include a little bit about what NOT to do, and common reasons a particular crack may not be working for a beginner at first. He also covers how to make sure the follow through after the crack is correct, and why that's so important, as well as some other safety tips.

Overall, we both are very pleased with our decision to carry these DVDs for beginner whipcrackers in the US, and we really hope they will help carry the fun of whipcracking to more people.

We had asked Robby to send us quite a few of these DVDs for the first shipment, so despite the many people who pre-ordered from us, we still have plenty left for anyone else who wants to order one. Paul and I are going to be moving soon, but we will keep the DVDs in a place that's easily accessible so that we can still ship out DVDs to anyone who wants to order one during that time with minimal delay.

If you all have any questions about anything else that the DVD does or does not cover, ask. It's definitely for the pure beginner, or perhaps for a mostly-beginner who is looking to improve his form, but definitely not for an intermediate or advanced whipcracker.

Robby, I think that as time goes on, you'll hear from countless beginners who will really appreciate all your hard work on making this video and keeping the price affordable for them. Thank you Robby!

Lauren Wickline & Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Good to know that they arrived safely! I’m very glad that you like the tutorial. And yep - this tutorial is focused on the real, the pure beginner.
And as Tony wrote… Perhaps it shows some ways to teach for the advanced. So it could have something for both - the beginners and the advanced.
Victor SanSoucie from www.handmadewhips.com wrote me that he already used my way to teach. Out there in youtube land are so much videos and tutorials for the advanced…
I had the idea to produce that kind of video that I’d like to have when I started. Giving lessons here I know how important it is to repeat again and again.
Slowly and detailed. And when you’re through - you start all over again. So everybody can learn successful how to crack a whip. Some learn faster, some slower. But everybody can!

There’s a little story about the making of the DVD. There’s a tv show called “the joy of painting” by Bob Ross. Because I always used the words “nice and safe” during the shooting
(which took in fact a few days in total), the production became internal the name “the joy of whipcracking”. A member of the staff came to me and said - hey, you just need another
haircut and a beard, then you look like Bob Ross! Well, I loved Bob Ross :[

Vol. II & III are in the early planning phase. Vol. II is on new cracks (slow and fast figure eights, coachman’s crack a.o.), ways to turn direction within routines and on target work.
Vol. III will have the spotlight on large combinations/routines and - in all details - on wrapping persons and objects. But that’s all in the future.

For now I’m happy that Vol.I had a good start!

Robby
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Shagbd wrote:hello my friends!
I have received my copy of Robby's Whip Basics DVD and have posted a full review here on Cuttingedgeforum.com

http://www.cuttingedgeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=82

but also here is the review in case you do not wish to register to read that thread

Well, I just received my Review copy of Whip Basics from Robby.
He contacted me sometime back and asked if i would mind reviewing it for him.
He explained the process that was involved with making this video and i was really blown away.
As Lauren has mentioned it went through nine different revisions to get what we have here, and the effort put into it is very obvious.
The market that this video enters is very small. To my knowledge the only other whip instructional videos on the market are the two volume Alex Green videos, the Mike Murphy videos, and Anthony Delongis has several as well. Unfortunantly, I have not seen Mr Delongis' videos so i cannot comment, however to the other two, I have to say that this new video is far superior.
I have been a martial arts instructor for nearly 9 years, and involved in martial arts even longer. I would like to think that my experience has given me the insight and the ability to determine what methods work in teaching and instruction.
The problem with other videos on whip cracking is that they sorta rush through the "basics" and try to get to the more advanced techniques. My martial arts instructor always told us, the THREE most important things are : "Basics, Basics and ...BASICS". It brought a smile to my face to hear Robby preaching this same philosophy on his DVD.
He takes each crack and breaks it down in detail showing not only the RIGHT way to do a crack, but also some incorrect technique. I think this is very important. It is just as important to teach what TG do as it is to teach what NOT TO do.

I plan to do this review in two parts.
Part one was just for me to watch it and give my thoughts as i did above...
The second part is to let my wife watch it and see how much she can learn. She has had very little experience with the whip, so it will be interesting to see what a "fresh mind" can do with it.

Again Robby, I am very impressed with your video and "all i can say is WOW"!

Upon consultation with Dan I'll copy the comments and posts from the reviews threat in here, because Dan will lock the other threat then, and we have everything related to the tutorial DVD right here in one topic.

Thanks, Robby
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Shagbd wrote:Oh i WILL!
This is only PART ONE of my review, I hope to let her work with it a while and see how she can progress with ONLY the video
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Whip Basics wrote:Thanks for the review,

and as I wrote before... I did my best, but now it's on all of you to judge it. At least I still can't believe that you started only five month ago...
I'm very curious what your wife thinks and if she'll find the tutorial helpful. Tony brought up a very interesting point in all this, when he said
that this tutorial is not only for the beginners, but it can help the advanced to teach. I've never seen it that way...

Thanks again for your review and don't forget to post what your wife says!

Robby
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Shagbd wrote:PART TWO OF THE REVIEW: A newbies perspective...

As Promised, I got my wife to try out the DVD and try some of the cracks. She has only ever cracked with me a few times so i considered her a pretty good example of a "fresh mind" on the subject. I gave her my 6 foot Huntress nylon whip because A) Robby suggests in the video that 6 ft is the best length for beginners and B) names Steven Huntress as a great nylon whipmaker....... I figure I was giving her the best tool for the job to start with.

She has watched the Mike Murphy and Alex Green videos with me previously and really couldnt even sit through them. She found those rather boring, and lost interest pretty quickly. However, we sat together and watched Robby's video and she was laughing at all the right parts, his jokes.... and she was very engaged in the explanations and analogies given to each crack. She would really related when he would compare to to another movement (IE: Underhand is like bowling). She also really liked the explanations of how NOT to do the crack and the emphasis on letting the whip crack itself and not overpowering.

I did not want to rush her or give too much information at once, so she just watched the two cracks and got them down pat!..... The underhand flick was a bit more challenging, but she got it.......

During this whole process i was trying my best NOT to say anything or add any details beyond what Robby said in the video to see how she would do if i TRUELY was not there. Overall i would say the video was a HUGE success for her and even though bullwhips are not really her "thing", she picked it up really quickly and I have no doubt would be able to continue through the video with equal success with other cracks.
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

bobm2004 wrote:I just got mine today and watched it just now. Its 10:20 PM, it raining and I just watched the whole thing trough. I am desperate to get outside and start cracking right this very second!!! I of course know that my mentor Adam would have my scalp if he found out I was using on of my leather whips outside in the rain!

I found the explanation on the four basic cracks to be awesome. Having only been cracking for a couple of months now it really showed me that I had a few things right and a few things that need improvement and how to link the cracks into combination's, something that has eluded me to this moment. I can see the coming weekend to be a crack feast-my poor neighbors!! The format was simple and easy to understand. The demonstrations were both in tight and far view. The explanation of the mechanics were perfect. The emphasis on letting the whip do the work is repeated throughout with good reason, as even his slow motion demo's get little baby pops! His voice is very clear, the instructions precise and very easy to understand. Very enjoyable.

I wish to send out thanks to both the maker of this fine DVD, Robert for making this fine tutorial and to Midwest Whips for bringing it to America for a VERY reasonable price.

Bob
www.bobscranes.com
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

jabahutt70 wrote:I received my copy a week ago today, so last Friday. Just watched it through last night on my laptop and thought it to be an excellent video for beginner whipcrackers.

Also, as Tony mentioned somewhere, it's a great resource to learn some tips on teaching others how to crack. We all have friends & family members that at some point will probably like to try to crack a whip, even if they don't want to sit through an entire video, especially one of A.G.s vids, as David said are pretty dry. Robby provides a good method for teaching, beneficial to both new & experienced whipcrackers.

Excellent job on the video, Robby, my hat's off to you! Looking forward to seeing the next volume.

Steve.
www.neawhips.com
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Good news,

I’ve spoken (e-mail) with Robert and am pleased to announced that he and the producers of “Whip Basics- A beginners guide” Vol. I are in the preproduction stages for a Vol. II DVD, If all goes well, it will begin filming in a few weeks time!

Dan
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Volume II

Post by Whip Basics »

Thank you all for the comments and reviews on the whip basics tutorial. I’m glad and happy that it’s accepted that well.
And yes - Dan (Bullwhip Borton) and I are in the same boat. He mentioned that it was a little bit too much on that
“snap the wrist”. I made the experience that I have to tell a student (a beginner!) the same thing again, again and again.
Not because somebody is stupid; definitely not. It’s simply because there are so much new impressions and that new tool
to explore - the whip.

In fact I had contact to Dan for some time now and I’m grateful for his advice and the ideas he gave me. He helped me
with the target stands you’ll see in Vol. III. And so Dan was the first to know when the shooting for Vol. II will start.
Vol. II will cover more cracks, combinations, how to turn/move during routines and a large routine about 21 cracks in a row.
But again - all for the beginner!

For the Nylon whip Dan mentioned… I choosed that whip for two reasons. First: It’s very good to follow it’s motion.
That’s very important. Second - Dan nailed it right away - it’s about the cheapest nylon whip you can get.
But cheap doesn’t mean low quality here. It’s a simple whip, and has nothing of that beautiful braiding at all.
It’s a pure tool. Nothing fancy about it. No whip you’d like to hang on your wall.

But I think that the first whip doesn’t have to be expensive. I had students who were enthusiastic about learning to crack
a whip. They had one lesson, they had two lessons… And they found out that it’s not their cup of tea. At the other hand -
someone is interested in whip cracking and the first thing he’s told: $300.00 Dollars. Or more. Hm...

Don’t get me wrong - a hand braided whip is a piece of art and I proudly own whips from real great whipmakers of our time.
Leather & nylon. But for a beginner who doesn’t know if he really will go on and practice… You can learn to ride a bike
on the simplest bike from Walmart. If you are interested and you want to make large tours, you need a professional bike.
Same for the whip.

And for the last point - Dan mentioned this before - shooting for Vol. II will be on nov. 17, 18 & 19. In fact, all the positive
reviews here helped me to convince the producers to give green light on Vol. II. So again - thanks to all of you.

Take care,
Robby
midwestwhips
Vendor

The scoop on Whip-Basics VOL II.

Post by midwestwhips »

I spoke to Robby a couple of days ago, and he gave me the scoop on Vol II. I'm really excited about it. It sounds like they took everything that was great about the first one, and then made it even better!

Vol 2 will focus on new techniques:

fast figure eight
slow figure eight
coachman’s crack
a variation of the forward crack
an arrangement of 10 cracks in a continuous sequence
very detailed target work, which includes fluidity of motion and body mechanics

Just like in Volume I., the video will go through the same type of focus groups between each cut, which I think is one of the big reasons that make these dvds so effective. These Whipcracking tutorial dvds fully focus on teaching the viewer, with active input from viewers and students of the Whip-Basics series. The focus groups helps make the video have the best explanation available for a new whipcracker to understand it, and then execute it.

Vol. II will also have a 2nd disc as a data disc for your laptop to take with you when you go out to practice. And the dvd set will be the same price as Vol. I.

Volume II is still "Whip-Basics", and it is for the beginners who made their way through Volume I, and are progressing further in the basics of whipcracking. Or for those who have the prerequisite skills explained in Vol. I, and are looking to progress further.

I'm hoping we can have them in stock by Christmas. (but no promises) ;-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Paul,

Can't wait to check out Whip Basics Vol II. Robby was kind enough to send me the first volume, and I was quite impressed by the overall quality of both the video and the instructional material.

I liked Robby's slow-paced teaching style. He explained every crack very clearly, showing the proper technique as well as the common mistakes.

Honestly, I think it is the best Entry-level whipcracking DVD available on the market today. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn the basic cracks the right way. Rooby is a good teacher and you can tell he is passionate about it.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Volume II. I am sure Robby did another great job on it. Hope it gets released soon.

Regards,

Bernardo

www.delcarpiowhips.com
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

Well I reckon everybody will have their DVD's in the next couple of days or so just in time for Christmas, you guys in the good old USA are having to wait a little longer because the post Germany to UK is a little quicker distance wise maybe? Whatever the reason I've had mine a few hours now :roll:

As expected the tutorial is EXCELLENT! :notworthy:

Location:- unlike Vol I this is set half indoors (the targeting and stances) and half outdoors (the figure of 8 fast and slow the coachmans crack and the cross over)

The Cracks:- yet again Robby explains them in a nice slow concise way, running through them at the correct speed then breaking them down to teach you how in his own very unique way....I won't spoil it for you but again some of the analogys that Robby uses to help him explain it to you are amazing and yet so simple it makes you question yourself as to why you didn't think of that yourself....

The Targeting and Stance:- This was all shot indoors on a white background and I think that this is very much a benefit, everything is crisp & clear and it's so easy to follow the whip (nice whip BTW LemonLauren )

Multi Cracking:-A nice 10 crack routine at the end that at the stage of teaching Vol II takes you to is realistic to achieve, but also Robby gifts you some smaller routines throughout the DVD as he goes along...

The Out takes:-I'm not going to say too much about them (don't want to ruin it for you) except they are funny I loved the cup-o-T on the stairs one the best...

So overall this DVD is an exceptionally good buy, it leads on really nicely from Vol I simple to follow with realistic expectations and excellent analogy's and as with the first volume even if your already a decent standard at cracking a whip it's a good buy as the teaching tools you'll get from it will most definately be to your advantage...

I'll be really interested to hear what others have to say... :mrgreen:

Tony :whip: :whip:
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Shagbd wrote:First off I want to thank Robby for sending me a preview copy of his tutorial DVDs. My copy arrived a few weeks ago, right around the christmas Holiday. Due to holiday events and my being sick, I havent been able to write up a full review.
I just want to point out a few things that really jumped out to me. First, the overall presentation was just a step up from the last, from a purely technical standpoint. You can tell the editing process was alot more involved.

The DVD features the same "jump to" menu as the first so that the viewer can EASILY jump straight to a specific crack. I found this to be really nice and works well with Robby's training philosophy of working on ONE crack at a time.

Robby expertly builds on the lessons taught in Volume 1, and refers to many of his learning aides such as the "Big Ben" reference. GREAT STUFF THERE!

Robby's order of teaching the cracks is very logical and works well for person approaching these cracks for the first time.
Just as a personal note, I have to say i really liked the "Cross over" 2 crack combo.... I have "accidentally" done that crack before, but didnt know it was actually named..... very cool flashy crack combo!

OH and speaking of combos....eh... More on that in a moment...

Next we are presented with something i REALLY need to work on: target cutting!!! This section is presented in a studio setting, which is really cool and reminds the viewer of the proffessionalism that Robby approachese this subject. As always Robby's explanations are very clear and thorough... Even if you are a whipcracker and experienced in the CRACKS taught in this video, i still highly recommend this video, if for nothing but the targeting section alone. Personally, this is a part of whip artistry that I am rather unexperienced in, so i found this very educational.

The video is concluded with Robby teaching a 10 crack combo based on the cracks learned throughout volumes 1 and 2. Its a very nice combo that utilizes all the skills learned and looks very flashy and nice as well.
I find learning these combos is VERY good for the upcoming whipcracker as it gives you a sense of accomplishment and a way of showing off your skills to friends in a impressive way. One or two cracks strung together is not nearly as impressive as 10 or so strung together in a fluid manner. Well done Robby! We should name this combo, the "Robby Flash" or something like that.

Also, on the video, you will find some outtakes that are REALLY funny! Robby has a great sense of humor that is evident throughout the tutorial portions,so the outtakes are really a treat!

Again, Thank you Robby for this opportunity to view your videos ahead of the crowd, and I really appreciate the faith you have put in me and my opinions! You are truely skilled in your craft and in your ability to teach and I thoroughly look forward to Volume 3!!!

Thank you!
David Stokes

Canasta wrote:David,
Thanks for the review.
I have heard nothing but great things about Robby's dvds and am really looking forward to getting my own copies from Paul here shortly.
Between this and Robert Dante's new book "Let's Get Cracking - The How-To Book of Bullwhip Skill", I think people have two new valuable resources at their hands. Maybe the best two yet for those wanting to learn the art of whip cracking from the ground up ... and up, and up ....

Later,
Chris

Thanks to David and Chris for these great reviews. I put them up here so we have it all together.

Thanks again,
Robby

www.Whip_Basics.de
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Having had time to watch both of Robby's excellent dvd's here are my reviews.

Volume 1
I really like the way Robby explains things and his sense of humour make it very easy to watch. The cracks that Robby teaches in Volume 1 are done in a way that he makes it very easy to understand. The highlight for me is the way Robby shows what not to do and what you may be doing wrong. Well done Robby!

Volume 2
Like Volume 1, Robby again explains the new cracks in a slow easy to understand method. He explains the cracks so well that if you can't learn from this dvd then I don't think you ever will. In my opinion the Figure 8 and Coachman's crack is slightly different to what I would call a Figure 8 and a Coachman's crack, but I guess that is just a minor detail. The targeting section of the dvd is very interesting and shows a number of different stances that may suit you.
While the whipcracking on Volume 2 is still very basic (and this was Robbys aim) I felt I learnt a lot in the way I could teach others from how Robby has explained the cracks. So if your a beginner or an expert you will be missing out if you don't have a copy. Once again Robby well done with your presentation and all the best in promoting this unique sport.

Kind Regards
Simon
Whip Basics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Whip Basics »

Actually we're shooting on Vol. III in the WB series. For those of you who are interested
in the technical backgrounds - this is the camera we use for the shootings. It's a huge one
and I don't have any idea how to operate it :) On one pic you can see a snakewhip
besides the camera.

Take care,
Robby
Numeron
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Numeron »

Because I'm impressed by the Whip Basics DVD, I want to post my review! :)

The first time I cracked a whip was in the summer of 2008. I intended to visit a convention as Indiana Jones. My victim was a cheap and non-quality whip from a riding supply. Everybody could say just by a glimpse that I have never hold a whip in my hands before. Back then I didn’t care about it. However, I changed my mind due to several reasons and I knew the next whip will be a decent one for whip cracking. The purchase of this whip was accompanied by buying the Whip Basics – A beginners guide, Volume 1. A well thought-out homepage, positive reviews without exceptions and insights in professionally produced videos convinced me to buy this help that is meant for someone I have not even been in the broadest sense of the term back then: a beginner.

The first thing I noticed while watching the DVD was an unexpected silence that was exuded by the total outcome. Even the cover itself is designed plainly and communicates at a glance the most im-portant concern: This is a guide for beginners! In contrast to videos which you can find on common internet portals Whip Basics takes time! For what? For the beginner! Nothing is done in a hectic pace, nothing is rushed. It starts accompanied by relaxed guitar music. Opening words that explain what is to be expected: practice. Practicing a kind of sport that is only developed if, and only if, you hang on with patience and endurance. And this works very well with Whip Basics! Why? That is easy. Whip Basics doesn’t focus on the teacher who has mastered whip cracking. He has, no question about that! However, Whip Basics concentrates on two aspects: How to crack a whip in an easy and decent way. And the question that is much more interesting for a beginner: Why does is not crack!? Whip Basics deals in detail with these mistakes that are typical and you doesn’t notice while you blame your whip for everything that goes wrong and hit in the ground again. Exactly at this point, Whip Basics comes into play and gives you clues. Yes, right. Clues. Everything on this DVD is meant to be a tip. It doesn’t serve up some patterns or sample solutions. It is about clues you get from a teacher who is interested in whip cracking and simply wants to help. Help, no orders! That is why watching this DVD is so pleasant. Robert Ampers discreet humor does its bit to mix whip cracking business with the pleasure of learning. Robert Amper, director and producer of Whip Basics, and his exceptional cracking skills are not in the center of attention like it is common in the videos on the internet. The DVD concentrates on the whip and the techniques to crack it. And why does it so often not crack when you are a beginner.

For me, the conclusion is simple. The Whip Basics DVD is an essential helper when you are interested in whip cracking. Techniques are shown, clues are offered. Typical mistakes for beginners are explained and how to solve them. Robert Amper guides you through 5 cracking techniques, which will be brought together in 4 combinations at the end of the DVD, with humor and clear English. A must-have for every greenhorn, recommendable for advanced ones. Absolutely recommendable!

Greetings,
Numeron.