My first real Indy Jacket (Now with pics!)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My first real Indy Jacket (Now with pics!)

Post by Indiana Green »

Well, I just checked UPS tracking and my Todd's Standard XL is in my state now! I couldn't be more excited. (Okay, well I COULD be more excited, but only if Todd would've had size 11 boots in stock when I ordered...not his fault). Anyway, updates and pictures to come!
Last edited by Indiana Green on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Welcome to the leatherbound! I wear Wested, but from what I hear, for the price, Todd's standard is a great costume jacket. Todd does great work (I have some of his other gear).
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I don't own one of Todd's jackets, but from what I've seen and read on this forum you will probably be very pleased with it when it arives. It will probably also surprise you in another way: a lot of people have stated and proven with pics that Todd's jackets are a lot more durable than the "costume jacket" it is refered to as being would sugest.

Once it arives wear it in good health and be sure to post pics.

Regards, Geert
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

GOOD for you.

May I offer a piece of personal advice?

If you stay with this hobby long, may I suggest that no matter what happens, never let that jacket go. You may or may not put on weight....you may or may not wear that new jacket into the ground.....you may see a better deal and it's a suggested trade....but no matter, just put that jacket back in your closet or collection as a reminder of where you started from.

Mine was a lambskin Wested. As time passed, I traded up for one of a different size and hide. To this day I still look back with regret of allowing that one to get away, as I remember opening that package and showing off that jacket to my family just as clearly today as if it happened this morning, and that was back in the mid 1990's. It was an important day, and I let it get away in my zeal for the 'next best thing'. ](*,)

Don't blow it like I did. Enjoy it, but don't let it escape as time passes. There's only one 'first' of anything in life. There will be many others, but only one 'first'.

Just a suggestion.

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson, that is GREAT advice. I'm still on my first Wested lambskin Raiders, and I love it so much that even when I upgrade to a goat or HH for durability sake, I will be sure never to let my Wested lamb go.

In fact, it will probably make its way onto a mannequin in my man cave.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Michaelson, that is pure wisdom if I ever saw it :o

Listen to the man: he clearly has his head on straight!

Regards, Geert
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Let's not get carried away, Geert!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

maboot38 wrote:Let's not get carried away, Geert!
:lol:

I might have said that in a way that comes across too stongly, but I still believe it is great advice. I mean: how many times have we let all tangible evidence of a moment that was magical to us slip through or fingers? Be it a jacket, a first car you've never taken a picture of and stuff like that? This sudden realization sparked my previous post.

Regards, Geert

EDIT :[/b] Okay, taken my meds now, everything's fine now, we're all fine now, how are you? :[
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38 wrote:Let's not get carried away, Geert!
:rolling:

I have my lucid moments, but as maboot subtlely pointed out (well, maybe not so subtlely at that :-k ), they're few and far between as I've aged. :lol: ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Uh, well, with age comes wisdom? sometimes? ;-)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I've never been accused of subtilty before, I can't imagine starting now!

Much love Michaelson, I just couldn't resist. :)

Dan
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Michaelson wrote:GOOD for you.

May I offer a piece of personal advice?

If you stay with this hobby long, may I suggest that no matter what happens, never let that jacket go. You may or may not put on weight....you may or may not wear that new jacket into the ground.....you may see a better deal and it's a suggested trade....but no matter, just put that jacket back in your closet or collection as a reminder of where you started from.

Mine was a lambskin Wested. As time passed, I traded up for one of a different size and hide. To this day I still look back with regret of allowing that one to get away, as I remember opening that package and showing off that jacket to my family just as clearly today as if it happened this morning, and that was back in the mid 1990's. It was an important day, and I let it get away in my zeal for the 'next best thing'. ](*,)

Don't blow it like I did. Enjoy it, but don't let it escape as time passes. There's only one 'first' of anything in life. There will be many others, but only one 'first'.

Just a suggestion.

Regards! Michaelson
Perfect advice, Michaelson. You're so right on every account. My first Wested is the one jacket that I can't bring myself to sell. Even though I knew from day one that I had not yet found the holy grail it was my first and I just know if I ever let it go I will for some reason regret it. It is indeed where it all started from! You can't get to where you're going if you don't where you are coming from!
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Junior, what IS your holy grail, if you don't mind me asking?
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Maboot wrote:
I am getting an image in my head of that scene in "silence of the lambs" when Starling goes down into Buffalo Bill's basement... :shock:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

coronado3 wrote:Maboot wrote:
I am getting an image in my head of that scene in "silence of the lambs" when Starling goes down into Buffalo Bill's basement... :shock:
It puts the Pecards in the basket......
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

If you look at any of my posts you'll soon figure out I have the opposite problem as many here. I can't ever let anything go. It may be how one winds up with a ton of Indy jackets.... but I can't say I have any regrets when it comes to Indy gear either.

So yes, to Michaelson you listen!

I have a Todd's Standard now that I'm enjoying very much. Congrats! Please do post pics, it's always interesting to see the nuances of individual jackets. Wear it, enjoy it.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I have a US Wings A2 2000 in large. It fits jUST right. Should I get an XL for Todd's?
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Michaelson, thank you for the advice. I promise I will cherish this jacket. And trust me, I'm a guy who had Transformers, GI Joes, and Ninja turtles that would be priceless today but as you said of your jacket, "they got away", through yardsales, neglect, etc. You know, when I first started on this indygear adventure, I told myself that i just wanted "the look" and I'd always be satisfied with close-enoughs. well, all too soon, my close-enoughs stopped looking, well, close-enough. I've truly learned the meaning of SA, and it's the nuances, and sometimes you just gotta get the real thing (in some sense). So anyway, I promise to enjoy/take pics of/cherish/wear my new jacket to the fullest. One more step towards Indy madness!
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Honestly when I sold my first Indy jacket (Wested dark lamb LC circa 2000) I never gave the sentimental value much thought. :-k

However, I do miss my old Avirex A-2. I got it my junior year of high school and wore that thing for at least a decade. Out of my current Indys, I think the only one that has the potential to last a decade is the US Wings LE.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

maboot38 wrote:Junior, what IS your holy grail, if you don't mind me asking?
Without a doubt it is the Raiders reproduction jacket that Tony Nowak made for me. But it's the holy grail jacket for reasons different to me than what I might have predicted. This jacket, for me (others opinions certainly may differ, we're all different!), as just a jacket has no equal. All of that is certainly open for debate. But it was the realization that came once I got it that it represents so much more to me than just a Raiders jacket on a personal level. In the end it was about the journey, about friendship and staying true to myself.

I hope that everyone that is on a similar journey is able to find their own grail jacket whether it be a Wested, G&B, Tony Nowak, Walmart, whatever!
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

My jacket is finally here! It's amazing. It's very light, in terms of weight, which I had heard before and it's a great dark color. It fits perfectly, at least I think so, so thanks to everyone who gave me advice in my previous thread. Anyway, without further stalling, I give you the pics!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0529.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0531.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0534.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0535.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0536.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0537.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... 0_0540.jpg

Indy Green
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Not bad at all Green. Enjoy it!!!!!!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

It's a very nice jacket. Todd does a good job of them
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

The jacket looks really great on you. I thought I was going to get a large when ordering...guess not!!! It's strange that the large shirt fits me really well but the jacket wouldn't.

Question...I really like the color on your holster, who made it?
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

hey nice

how does it feel? soft, smooth, buttery?
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

blueoakleyz: all three!
Redinight: you just made my day! I made that holster using an old leather-ish suitcase and the pattern from the indygear site. It was time consuming but now I know it was worth it.

Thanks for the comments everyone! And just in case anyone is curious about sizing, the jacket's XL, I'm 6'0, 190lbs with broad shoulders and a fairly long torso, and I think it fits perfectly

Indy Green
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Homerun first time at bat! :clap:

VERY nice!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

here's the link to my holster thread for Redinight and others who are interested!

viewtopic.php?t=36368

Indy Green
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Very nice jacket! Wonderful color and look. Fit looks good as well.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Thats so cool!!! I will now be looking out for spare leather with the right color. Job well done Sir. :)
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

This may be a stupid question but just wanted to make sure, thats the standard todds and not the custom right? Just want to have my facts straight.
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

yes, it is the Standard.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Great jacket, Green! It fits you really well. I have one of Todd's standard jackets and I love mine; it's broken in nicely.

My only recommendation: tighten up that gunbelt. :[
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: My first real Indy Jacket (Now with pics!)

Post by basilbakerst »

Indiana Green

I'm surprised that the standard XL fit you. I stand 6'1" and weigh 195, and when I tried an XL on, the jacket was entirely too small. The sleeves sat about two inches above my wrists, and although my waist is not big (32-34 depending on the pants), it felt very constrictive when I tried zipping it up. I now have a pre-owned Todd's custom in 44L, and its fit is perfect. The sleeves are exactly what I was looking for, and it's a comfortable snug fit when I zip it up. I've seen mixed comments about the sizing for the Todd's standards, which makes me wonder if they are all made in the same place overseas. Regardless, in your pics, the jacket looks spot on. Enjoy it, and definitely listen to Michaelson's sage advice. Cheers.

basilbakerst
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re:

Post by Arca Perdida »

Michaelson wrote:Enjoy it, but don't let it escape as time passes. There's only one 'first' of anything in life. There will be many others, but only one 'first'.

Regards! Michaelson
Very nice advice. Unless, of course, you're talking about ex-wives. In that case, you're better off letting the first one(s) go. ;)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'll have to third (or whatever) Michaelson's advice even though I've not been in the jacket game anywhere near as long. My first Indy jacket was a Wings CE and I just loved that thing. I sold it after I got my TN Crystal Skull since they were so similar but I already know that it was a bad decision and I'm going to regret that one.
damian della morte
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damian della morte »

i am 5' 8" tall and 180 pounds, i ended up picking up two standards, xl is a little snugg about the shoulders but really looks great on, i think the the waist and length of the jacket suit me a little better also, xxl is the most comfortable (and durable) jacket i own, fits more like a temple of doom jacket, i love em' both :D
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I'm very impressed with Todd's jacket.. though I bought a Wested.. go figure. ha Green, it looks broken in out of the box!

Randy