Replacement Aldens - Round Two

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Replacement Aldens - Round Two

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all,

I broke out the replacement Aldens Schmidty sent me. I have taken them for a spin after a coating of Pecards along the trouble spots in the last pair where there was extreme and rapid leather wear.

This pair seems to be exhibiting what could be the same problems. It's still a little too early to tell and I will continue to watch them closely. With only one day of wear though I was seeing what could be the beginnings of the leather just yielding to the laces like a razor through butter.

Doesn't make sense...
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Do you think maybe your shoes might be too small? I'm thinking if the shoes were too small, the laces would be pressed more tightly against the tongue, etc., and could be cutting into them because of that. :-k

Shane
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Well, I've worn a 9 1/2D since 2001 and my first pair is still excellent and going strong. Yet the new pair before these just crumbled...
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

I've got a pair coming from Bryan on Thursday.
I'll be sure to post my results after I've worn them for a month.
I have a pair from 2005 I can compare mine new ones to. My 2005 pair are as a hard as steel, and my dad has been wearing them daily to work.

Could it be possible that the stock of the pair you got came from that same batch?
Last edited by Mola Ram on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

IndyFrench wrote:Well, I've worn a 9 1/2D since 2001 and my first pair is still excellent and going strong. Yet the new pair before these just crumbled...
Hmm... Guess that theory's out. Unless Alden changed their sizing, but I can't imagine them doing that. Curious...

Shane
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

That is very odd...I got a pair from Schmidty back in May and they are still going just fine...I used Pecards on there and there is nothing wrong with the leather at all...My only gripe would be that the Speed Lace Hooks don't seem to be connected very well as they pull up from the leather when I tie the boots up through them...Didn't have that problem with my old pair of the AB pair I got from Marc...

I know this theory has been floated around but what if poor Schmidty is getting factory seconds without his knowledge...Not that he would be aware of it but in the sense that Alden is sending them to him to be underhanded in regards to his low prices...He did have a bit of a stumble with Alden this past year due to his prices and maybe they figure since he is selling them to people at a discount price they should just send him the pairs that have defects...

Prob not the case I'm sure but there has to be a reason for all these issues the newer boots are having...

Maybe this problem they had with the bad leather is more widespread than they thought...This seems to be the more likely scenario to me...They could have obtained a huge amount of bad leather and not even known about it until people like us started making a stink about it...

Is there anybody out there who has purchased a pair of 405's in the past 6 months that didn't come from Schmidty? It would be nice if we could get a comparison between a couple pairs purchased from different vendors...
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Got a pair directly from the Alden Shop in December. Seem fine to me, so far. I'll keep everyone posted. :mrgreen:
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

French, let me know. Alden says they'd stand behind em. So if we have to keep doing this with them we will. As always, I am here to serve, sir.!! :)

Schmidty

And I really don't think its factory seconds, I think these were from the same piece of hide. :twisted:

Schmidty
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Here is some pics of my 405's I got from Schmidty back in May (wearing them today)...Like I said earlier I have no problems with mine outside of the speed lace hooks pulling away from the leather when I tie my boots but that was an easy fix with a pair of pliars...Otherwise it's just normal wear and tear...

Don't know why this picture is sooo bright... :-k
Mola Ram
Vendor

Re: Replacement Aldens - Round Two

Post by Mola Ram »

IndyFrench wrote:Hey all,

I broke out the replacement Aldens Schmidty sent me. I have taken them for a spin after a coating of Pecards along the trouble spots in the last pair where there was extreme and rapid leather wear.

This pair seems to be exhibiting what could be the same problems. It's still a little too early to tell and I will continue to watch them closely. With only one day of wear though I was seeing what could be the beginnings of the leather just yielding to the laces like a razor through butter.

Doesn't make sense...
Know what also doesn't make sense?
I got my pair today, I'm surprised they don't say made in china on them. NOT the shoes I got 5 years ago. (close comparison shots to come)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Man, I really like the color of your shoes. 8)
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Ram post up your pictures for everybody to take a look at good sir...I find them very informational...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

viewtopic.php?t=37597

It seems that schmidty finally got their attention! See, he HAS been working for you guys, just like he said!

Good job, schmidty!! :notworthy:

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Sorry, I sort of asked this question in a related thread, but if I think I have abnormal wear around the lace area, do I contact Alden or my original retailer?
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Illinois James wrote:Sorry, I sort of asked this question in a related thread, but if I think I have abnormal wear around the lace area, do I contact Alden or my original retailer?
I'd start with my original retailer.