Heinous dog attack on coveted Raiders Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Heinous dog attack on coveted Raiders Wested

Post by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd »

I met my new girlfriend's black lab last night and within 2 seconds of petting he nipped into the sleeve of my FAVORITE jacket and ripped a big 4-inch tear...

I smiled and said no big deal but------ IT IS. I love animals but... that is one LUCKY dog considering...

What can I do? I have no clue....

Dogs 2, Indygear 0

Pics coming when I get my camera working...

Cheers, H
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Sorry to hear it. Labs will eat anything.

Maybe you can repair it and think of it as somehow SA ;-)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

cut the lining open were the tear is.find a a leather jacket you aint gonna use anymore,cut of some that covers the tear.put some leather glue on the backside of the piece of leather,apply a little glue on the inside of the leather jacket were the cut is.press it together,let dry.100%(give it a day or 2)sew the lining shut and fixed.
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I have a black lab. I feel your pain.

I say just have it stitched, and consider it a battle scar. Gives the jacket even more character. Tell girls you took a bullet in the arm, or tore the jacket when you were dragged behind a truck.
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

That’s terrible!

What kind of leather was it?

Follow Holt’s advice or call Wested to find out how much a sleeve replacement would cost.

You could use it as an excuse for a new jacket as well.

- Mac
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Or follow Holt's advice and use a piece of the dog's rear end as a patch for the inside.
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

It is lambskin... and WOW when it tears you can see how THIN it is. I am beginning to understand the 'goat cult' around here...

speaking of which LOL

Thank you Holt, but that is a serious repair you suggest-- I am hesitant to cut into the (silk!) sleeve because it will likely begin to unravel and snag from then on? I will put a leather patch underneath a stitching though, thanks to your suggestion. (The hole is HUGE)

This jacket is only 4 months old and an absolutely perfect fit. I have worked in it EVERY DAY of those four months and it looks 10 years old (and f-ing awesome).

My friend said she has a "leather needle" and offered to fix it, and I think a homestyle repair would look SA in some sort of Indy ethos... as opposed to a professional repair. BTW right now it looks badas-s!

Thanks homies, H
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I guess we need photos now
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Leather needles come in many sizes and shapes. If you're just going to sew the tear you want to use a glover's needle - designed for sewing thin kidskin for formal gloves. Lamb is so thin and relatively delicate that you should put in some sort of backing as suggested. Open the sleeve lining at a seam and work from there.

LJ
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

OK, it is a $300 jacket after all so I will take it to a good leather shop...

My good friend:

I will try and find some labrador leather to bring in to the shop
Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Oh I can only imagine how you feel. that jacket has 'worn in' nicely in that short time.
I'm thinking the right person could do a fine repair though, and it will add to the character nicely. Best of luck with it
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Fortune and Glory »

Sorry to see that. You'd be surprised what a pro -- or yourself, with a little courage -- can do in the way of repair. Heck, you might even like the 'natural distressing'.
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks Mac,

The first thing to pop into my mind was my ToD en route!!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Oh that ***** :( I'm kinda glad I don't have any pets. I bet my AB would be the first to become a chew toy. Hope you find a way to fix it, though. Good luck!
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Dang! :o

Sorry to hear about that.

On the other hand, imagine what your arm would have looked like if you hadn't been wearing the jacket... :shock:

By the way, is that a 'map of the world shower curtain'? Nice!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

This is the second story I read tonight about dogs ripping into someones Indy gear. Really is heartbreaking. Me, I am not a animal person because to me they are more work than they are worth and can be quite destructive.

One year my brother had been to the South Pacific and brought back a bunch of specialty candy. He was pretty excited about it and wrapped most of it up as Christmas presents. My mom's dog ripped into the gifts and ate most of them when we were all out one day. For me, all of these are just more reasons to avoid animals unless you are willing to put up with the hassle.

I guess the good news for you is this is a great test of your relationship. Are you willing to live with this kind of stuff for the rest of your life since your girlfriend is obviously a dog person? If she is worth it then you will obviously just have to let it go and move on. It is still disappointing I know.
best
Canada
PS You will probably be well advised to not leave your Aldens anywhere this dog could get to them either.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

If the edges still match up you can probably still get it professionally repaired.

It will probably involve putting something behind the tear and then sealing the edges with some sort of 'leather repair' stuff, you can buy kits, they included pigment you add to a carrier liquid and 'grain' sheets you can put on the liquid to mimic the leather s it dries. Chances are it will leave a scar but I think it will be acceptable.

EG: http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page3.htm

(Although, warning, I have never used this product!)

I would give that to a professional to do to achieve the best result.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

yikes.....whats with it with dogs attacking gear lately?....your wested, schmidty's customer's aldens.....i think its a conspiracy....i'll be watching my canine close, whip in hand :shock: :lol:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Looks like you're lucky you had the jacket on, can you imagine that tear on your arm? :shock: Ouch

You have been very cool in smiling and saying "no big deal" LOL (I can imagine the swearing going on in your mind while you said that)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

indy89 wrote:Oh that ***** :( I'm kinda glad I don't have any pets. I bet my AB would be the first to become a chew toy. Hope you find a way to fix it, though. Good luck!
Yeah...you got it! I had a cocker puppy back in the '80's who one night ate my first Stetson Indy-style hat. I wanted to kill him! W>
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

A labrador did that? :shock:

We had a lab for 13 years untill it died and I know they are known for their gentle demeanor and knible: I once heard they could catch raw egs without breaking them and tried it on our dog. It wasn't a myth at all! I very much doubt that you would have had more than a superficial scratch if you did not have the jacket on thoug, unless the dog has a chipped tooth (would explain to me why the jacket ripped in the first place)

On the jacket: take it to a leather repair shop. They will know how to fix it.

Regards, Geert
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Maybe someone should get the folks who make Pecards to put a warning on the label about how much dogs love the flavour. We'll just have to hope that the drug cartels don't get onto the idea and use it to distract the sniffer dogs.

LJ
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Actually, this could be a good relationship test. I'd make her pay for the repair (or a new jacket), and see if her reaction bodes well for a future together. If not... DEAD DOG!

There, I said it! :twisted:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Is the dog new or the girlfriend?

And to what CanadaJones says about animals being more work than they're worth and destructive, I can say that about some people I know.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

JC1972 wrote:Is the dog new or the girlfriend?

And to what CanadaJones says about animals being more work than they're worth and destructive, I can say that about some people I know.
I can say that about some girlfriends I've had!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

JC1972 wrote:And to what CanadaJones says about animals being more work than they're worth and destructive, I can say that about some people I know.
Ain't that the truth :lol:

Regards, Geert
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

sorry about your coat, I'm sure a good leather shop can fix it. I need to keep this at a G rating but I hope the girl makes it up to you. ;-)
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

Is the dog's name Indiana?
:)
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Hilarious... yes the girlfriend is VERY new and an amazing one too.

AND what I didn't add

the dog isn't hers! She has been caring for this sleeve nipper for 6 months while house-sitting for some very rich older friends of hers... a CEO of a huge corporation in fact...

Maybe my ToD should be free-90-free, no? BTW I just got a ParcelForce bag at my door. ITS HERE!!!!!!! Two days after the mauling, crazy.

It is not what I expected at all. The leather looks and feels awful. I will rip Wested a new sleevehole in another post.

H
Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

HWaltonJonesJr.Phd wrote:.............

It is not what I expected at all. The leather looks and feels awful. I will rip Wested a new sleevehole in another post. Brace yourself Peter.

H
a ToD? What leather did you order?
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I don't remember my Raiders lambskin feeling this cheap when it was new.

I ordered dark lambskin. It is closer to authentic brown in color, is paper thin, and the skin looks like speaker 'pleather'. My Raiders is easily twice as heavy and looks like a tank in comparison. Maybe its the NH pattern but the stormflap is 1/3 the thickness of the Raiders. It feels like a garbage bag with a tacky nylon lining. Oh, it is a tacky nylon lining. I shouldn't be posting right now...LOL

What sliders are these?? No prongs. The straps never stop.

I went another direction with my ToD than most... Not SA, I wanted a roomier, much longer WINTER jacket in comparison to my Raiders. The anti-leathershirt. Knowing it was a slimmer torso, I ordered up a size and also added a couple inches on the back--and sleeves. Those measurements are spot on but the torso ended up like a LC potato sack.

I will make a new post another day... I am headed to the post office to pick up my Aldens from getting a little tweaking from Schmidty.

What a day.

Thanks COW,

H
Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

You sound like Harrison did when the tried to get hiim to wear the original TOD jacket........ ;-)
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

maboot38 wrote:
JC1972 wrote:Is the dog new or the girlfriend?

I can say that about some girlfriends I've had!
LOL! :) Never thought about it that way!
best
Canada
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks like the original hardware has run out.how big is your zipper?

the Lambskin he uses looks like the lambskin he uses on his special offer rotla's thin,thin,thin.. not neceseraly weaker.just thinner and more drapier.lambskin is lambskin. I think its to thin.I never saw the TofD as a thin jacket.to methe ToD looks more like goat thikness
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I asked for 5 gauge aluminum zipper unless the original hardware was available. I am glad to get it because those 8 gauge zip pulls are like dog-tags.

I soaked it today and it is starting to come to life...

yesterday

today

Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Is it still a YKK zipper?

Yes the other has a huge pull, like something you'd find on a heavy equipment bag.

Start wearing it constantly for a few days, and tuck the pocket flaps into the pockets.

What size is your jacket?
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

YKK indeed... its a 46 with 30" back and 26.25" sleeves.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

no wonder it looks so long.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Indiana G wrote:i'll be watching my canine close, whip in hand :shock: :lol:
You may end up with a nice short flail instead of a whip that way.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It has the wrong strap hardware, those are (as you know) just the regular rectangular sliders. I hope he hasn't run out.

The machinist needs a smacked wrist if it's a mistake.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:It has the wrong strap hardware, those are (as you know) just the regular rectangular sliders. I hope he hasn't run out.

The machinist needs a smacked wrist if it's a mistake.
You may have to be a proxy smacker KT, HWaltonJonesJr.Phd's arms may not be long enough. ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

How did this thread go from a 'dog attacked Wested' to a discussion of KT smaking someone on the wrist for us over a snaufu on a TofD jacket? :-k

Back on the rails, folks! ;-)

How are you going to proceed with the repair on that torn sleeve?

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

When are the folks who make Pecard's going to put a warning about how much dogs love the flavour on the label?

LJ
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Personally, I think that someone should be responsible for replacing the jacket, or having it repaired properly (not a patch solution).

It doesn't matter if the dogs are your girlfriends or not, she is in the care of them, so I say it's her responsibility to cover the cost. If she (or the owners) aren't able to control their dogs then they should be prepared to cover any damage they do.

I realize dogs will be dogs (mine just ate one of my socks for some reason), but that doesn't mean that we should just shake our heads and pat them on the head when they wreck expensive things.

If this CEO is so la de da...maybe ask your GF if you can email them about what happened. If they're good people they should offer to cover the cost.
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I found a quality leather repair shop and I am SURE I will get compensated for at least the repairs...

Most likely they will pay for my new jacket, but I am just playing it cool for now. They get back in 5 days and they will hear about my jacket TRUST ME. More importantly, I still got the girl.

My jacket is being glued and I will get it back on 2/13. The woman knew her stuff and showed me a similar repair on another dark brown leather jacket---not shiny or mismatched color. I will post pics of it

AND the ToD after another soak ---just to keep this post scattered --- and maybe hear from Michaelson again.

Cheers, H
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Heinous dog attack on coveted Raiders Wested

I got my jacket back a month later and it looks great. Glue seems to be the way to go.

I have been wearing my ToD for a month and couldn't wait to get this one back. Putting it on a month later, it feels like a JACKET. The ToD is a windbreaker at best. That is how different the leathers are. Both are dark brown lambskin. The Raiders is much darker and easily twice as thick and heavy, and looks like a much MUCH higher quality leather. Buying a Wested is a gamble for sure. I have one amazing jacket and a really bad one---considering both the quality of leather and craftsmanship.

The ToD nylon lining on mine is pure evil. It comes pouring out of both sides and the back about an inch. My inside pocket (I didn't get an extra one THANK GOODNESS) is easily big enough to hold a dictionary, and is SO DEEP you have to dig down past the top of the front pocket. It is naturally unruly and can flag out a good 3 inches when not zipped most of the way up. This is ridiculous for a $300 custom jacket. Period.

It makes me love my first one like a good old dog... I could use a better analogy I guess. Ha Ha.

Watch out for ToD dark brown lamb and sleeve nipping black labs my friends, life is too short.

Cheers, H
Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Heinous dog attack on coveted Raiders Wested

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Looks great HWaltonJonesJr.Phd, makes the jacket have a little character to it. I am glad this turned out good for you, as when I read that a dog attacked your Wested I was shocked and if it was me in the situation I would not know where to go to get my jacket fixed. Great ending to the story and wear both jackets with caution I guess around dogs. ;-)

IndianaChris