Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

RelicHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RelicHunter »

SpeedRcrX wrote:Well Congratulations guys!

Don't forget to post photos when you'll get your jacket.
Thanks! And I will, just as soon as I figure out how... :-k
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Chewie Louie wrote:Woo Hoo! My second Nowak jacket arrived today. I went with a non-distressed version this time. I really don't know which one I like better. I guess I'll really beat the s*** out of the distressed one now, and take it easy on this one. One thing I like better is the unique way I handled the custom inscription on the 2nd jacket. Anyway, here is the new jacket. Once again, the craftsmanship is top notch. If jackets are made better than this, I'd sure like to see it. Again, I went with the Harrison Ford size 44 which seems to fit me just right. So happy I do all that running. (That's one of my marathon medals hanging on the wall, and my Australian Shepherd looking on and giving his approval) As always, I can't say enough about how nice of a guy Tony is.

After reading this thread the 100th time I came to the conclusion that Chewie Louies collar looks quite bigger then on the other CS jackets here around. I have ordered a TN CS jacket may I should let Tony know to get a normal sized collar? Just to get sure.
Regards

orb
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

orb wrote: After reading this thread the 100th time I came to the conclusion that Chewie Louies collar looks quite bigger then on the other CS jackets here around. I have ordered a TN CS jacket may I should let Tony know to get a normal sized collar? Just to get sure.
Regards

orb
Have you SEEN Indy G's jacket ? :)

I think Chewie's collar is fine. Maybe some of the collars on the bigger sized jackets are undersized.

The jackets seem quite consistent in details to me. There is variation on whether the back panel extends almost as far as the yoke (I think this was mentioned before, and many said all the jackets had the the back panel not extend to the yoke/arm seam, but mine DOES), and some pockets look different.

You're free to order what you'd like from Tony, however!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

chewie louie's collar looks normal to me. there may be some illusion in play as his shoulders are more prominent than his neck size imo.......CL.....what's your neck size and measurement from collar to shoulder seam?

i'm loving that non-distressed indy 4 you got going on there :)
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

I have placed my order from Tony on the 7th Jan. and my jacket is already been shipped!!! :twisted: :shock:
I will receive it on monday or tuesday, depends on the customs.

Regards

orb
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

orb wrote:I have placed my order from Tony on the 7th Jan. and my jacket is already been shipped!!! :twisted: :shock:

Regards

orb
You are one lucky guy!!
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Nice jacket lantz,very cool and nice color.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

SpeedRcrX wrote:
orb wrote:I have placed my order from Tony on the 7th Jan. and my jacket is already been shipped!!! :twisted: :shock:

Regards

orb
You are one lucky guy!!
You certainly are lucky! That's not even enough time to lose sleep in anticipation of its arrival! I've heard that some people do that!

Man, that was a long few weeks... :-
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

My CS jacket has arrived. Just need to go home from work :-
Pics later!

Regards

orb
Last edited by orb on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

The jacket is great! By far the best leather jacked I ever had or even saw. Tony is the man! I went for the HF size. The sleeves are really a bit long but I hope they will ride up a bit very soon.
I haven't even a size 38 chest at the moment and the jacket fits great. Harrison must be a very slim guy.

Regards

orb
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

WOW!!!! Orb - you have lost a lot of weight! The jacket looks great! I can't wait for you to sell me this one too! ;-)

C3
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Harrison's sleeves on the CS jacket go to about his knuckles.

http://www.tonynowak.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=43

On you it goes just a touch longer but over time they should shorten up. And if they don't shorten enough for your liking that's one of the easiest things to have "fixed".
chagwa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by chagwa »

Orb, your jacket looks great!

As far as the sleeves are concerned, after you've been in the rain a few times they will ride up about 3/4 of an inch.

I just re-measured my TN jacket and the whole jacket has shrunk a good 1/2 an inch all around from when I received it back in June.
pit to pit measurements are now 21.5 and the back lenght is now 26"

Enjoy your TN Indy jacket, I absolutely love mine! :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that's not screen accurate........who's the maker???? :P :lol:

very, very nice orb! :clap:

what was your request for distressing? little or no distressing? the hide looks very rich without it imo.

enjoy in good health.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

orb wrote:The jacket is great! By far the best leather jacked I ever had or even saw. Tony is the man! I went for the HF size. The sleeves are really a bit long but I hope they will ride up a bit very soon.
I haven't even a size 38 chest at the moment and the jacket fits great. Harrison must be a very slim guy.

Regards

orb
but he doesn't wear a 38 - he wears a 44. Check Tony's site, the across chest measurement is 22" -M
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

but he doesn't wear a 38 - he wears a 44. Check Tony's site, the across chest measurement is 22" -M[/quote]

Doesn't that make it a jacket for a 40" chest size? maybe a 42" chest?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No.

22" is a single measurement across, so doubled for front and back, that's 44.

It would be 20 inches across for a size 40.

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Michaelson wrote:No.

22" is a single measurement across, so doubled for front and back, that's 44.

It would be 20 inches across for a size 40.

Regards! Michaelson
based on that my size 40 ToD is really a 45.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So, you're saying you're measuring 22.5" from armpit to armpit on your jacket? :-k

If that's the case, it sounds like Tony left 5 inches of slack around your chest (which sounds about right), as what I posted above IS the industry standard for chest measurement for determining jacket sizing.

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Michaelson wrote:So, you're saying you're measuring 22.5" from armpit to armpit on your jacket? :-k

If that's the case, it sounds like Tony left 5 inches of slack around your chest, as what I posted above IS the industry standard for chest measurement for jackets.

Regards! Michaelson
The ToD is a Wested, not a Nowak.

But as I see it, the CS jacket in Ford specs measures 22" across, but would not allow any free 'slack' for someone with an actual 44" chest. That is where I say it is for a person with a 40 or 42" actual chest size.
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

I am a size 42 and my TN with Ford's specs is snug across the chest.

-Nebraska
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The ToD is also a U. S. Wings. :lol:

Anyway, don't shoot the messenger. That's still industry standard, plus slack for actual movement under the jacket. Theory or not, that's how it's done.

Regards! Michaelson
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

jacksdad wrote:Nice jacket lantz,very cool and nice color.
Thanks, the color was absolutely spot on and was what I was hoping for. I asked Tony to search through his stack of hides to find the darkest possible one. He asked how much distressing I wanted and I said a little was OK. I'm happy with the amount of that as well.
Last edited by lantzn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

orb wrote:The jacket is great! By far the best leather jacked I ever had or even saw. Tony is the man! I went for the HF size. The sleeves are really a bit long but I hope they will ride up a bit very soon.

Regards

orb
orb, I ordered my jacket with long arms on purpose because when I looked at the pictures of Ford I saw that even after his sleeves had "wrinkled" up the cuff still fell on top of his knuckles. After a couple weeks of wearing mine daily they've already started to do the same. I think once the jackets gets real wet in one of our NW showers and dries naturally then it will probably be where it should be.
Last edited by lantzn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

Indiana G wrote:that's not screen accurate........who's the maker???? :P :lol:

very, very nice orb! :clap:

what was your request for distressing? little or no distressing? the hide looks very rich without it imo.

enjoy in good health.
Hi Indiana G!

I just asked for a little overall distressing without too much on the arms.
I also got the black on black inscription, second inner pocket and the bigger sturdier zipper.

Hey lantzn.
I will wear it every day. I just hope it's not too cold outside for the leather? Today we had +15.8 °F.+

Regards

orb
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

orb wrote:Hey lantzn.
I will wear it every day. I just hope it's not too cold outside for the leather? Today we had +15.8 °F.+

Regards

orb
I would worry about, didn'y Tony TELL you to beat the @#$% out it? :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

lantzn wrote:
orb wrote:Hey lantzn.

Regards

orb
I would worry about, didn'y Tony TELL you to beat the @#$% out it? :lol:
with a high tech thermal under my jacket, i'm good for temps below -20 deg C........for short periods of time of course......any lower than that.....fashion takes a backseat to function :lol:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

RCSignals wrote:but he doesn't wear a 38 - he wears a 44. Check Tony's site, the across chest measurement is 22" -M
Doesn't that make it a jacket for a 40" chest size? maybe a 42" chest?[/quote]

I agree, I'm scratching my head too, 22" across sounds like a 40 to me. Castor, can you post pics of you wearing your HF sized CS?

And Orb, your jacket looks fantastic!! The fit is wonderful.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I just measured my size 44T FS from armpit to armpit, and mine measures an 1/8 of an inch over 22 inches.

I just measured my USW A-2 flight jacket, military fit, size 44R, and it is a solid 22" pit to pit measurement, so I'm clueless where you're getting a size 40 chest out of a 22" measurement, as two different vendors have the same measurement for a size 44.....22" from armpit to armpit across the front. :-k

Please explain....

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

22" measured flat across would be 44" completely around, or would it not?

That would allow a person with an actual 40" chest measurement an extra 4" of 'room' in the jacket. A person with an actual 44" chest measurement would have a 'snug' (stuffed sausage) fit.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Michaelson wrote:I just measured my size 44T FS from armpit to armpit, and mine measures just a hair over 22 inches.

I just measured my USW A-2 flight jacket, military fit, size 44R, and it is a solid 22" pit to pit measurement, so I'm clueless where you're getting a size 40 chest out of a 22" measurement. :-k

Please explain....

Regards! Michaelson
I'm thinking 40" chest+4" of ease. 2" for something more fitted. In your A-2 jacket, where are they hiding the ease if it isn't pit to pit?

Curious.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Correct, RCS.

That said, I believe you're saying anyone can wear a size 44 as long as they're smaller than a size 44.

Sure they can....but that still doesn't make it a size 40. It's still a size 44. It's just a person wearing a bigger jacket than his regular size. ;-)

Regarding the Wing's A-2, on a military fit there IS no 'ease'. It's sized to the actual measurement with no 'slop', so if you're wanting some extra room, you have to go a size larger. If it were a civilian fit, the ease is added to the measurement.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think some people are getting confused. The jacket size is the across-the-front measurement ON THE JACKET times two, not your chest measurement times two. So if your chest is 20" across, you would wear a 44, or a 42 if you wanted a tighter fit. -M
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Interesting, I thought some amount of ease was always built in, but ok. Of course, back in the day when they were introducing Expeditions, I remember a number of us feeling they were upsized, and _ explaining the 4" of ease they put in. I ended up sending back my 40, and getting a 38. Looking at my Wested, it's a size 40, but measures pit to pit at 21".
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mulceber wrote:I think some people are getting confused. The jacket size is the across-the-front measurement ON THE JACKET times two, not your chest measurement times two. So if your chest is 20" across, you would wear a 44, or a 42 if you wanted a tighter fit. -M
Well, like I said, I just measured two marked size 44 jackets across the front of both jackets, and they both measure 22". One is a military fit jacket with no ease at the chest and it's a solid 22", so I don't know what else to say.

Carry on.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Last edited by Michaelson on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Mulceber wrote:I think some people are getting confused. The jacket size is the across-the-front measurement ON THE JACKET times two, not your chest measurement times two. So if your chest is 20" across, you would wear a 44, or a 42 if you wanted a tighter fit. -M
Nope, no confusion! I measure 40" around my chest, lightly measured, with clothing, and wear a 40 jacket, quite consistently (for leatherwear and suit jackets). Hein Gericke, and possibly Vanson are the only jacket manufacturers that I feel I should upsize for.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think we're ALL at cross purposes here. :lol:

Here's a website that may help a bit. I see a little of everyone's argument supported in this 'how to' discussion:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tuto ... rement.htm

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Who's confused? No one is talking about 'across' a persons front measurement times two. Around persons chest measurement yes (obviously not times two).

As I said, my Wested made '40' ToD measured 22.5" across the front. Some people are saying that is a 44 or 45 not a 40. The Wested is sized marked in a fashion I am used to. I don't expect a jacket marked size 40 to an actual 40" circumference in the chest.
A jacket sized for someone with an actual 44" chest measurement should measure about 24" across the chest, not 22"
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just to toss it out there, RCS, I just measured my custom Wested 'Fedora' jacket, marked size 44. It measures 22.5 inches across the front from pit to pit. That's 3 for 3, and of 3 different vendors products, all marked size 44.

If yours measures 22.5 inches across the front and is marked a size 40, somethings definitely odd.

Ah well.

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I don't think anything is odd with my jacket.
'Ask Andy' is actually agreeing with what i've said
So if your chest measures 42” you likely wear a size 42 jacket. It is a common misconception that a size 42 jacket would then have a 42” chest. This is NOT the case (if it did the jacket would be so tight you would have difficulty breathing and certainly would not be able to move.)

Almost every tailor and manufacturer on the planet cuts the chest of the jacket 4” larger than the actual chest measurement of the individual. Occasionally you will find jackets that measure 3” larger, or as much as 5” larger but 95% of the time it is 4” larger.

A size 42 jacket would have an actual chest (outseam) measurement of 46.” Beware of eBay sellers who say a jacket is a size 42 and that it measures 42” in the chest. Either a) it actually measures 42” and the jacket is therefore a size 38, or b) it is actually a size 42 and they don’t know how to measure correctly. Or some combination thereof.
and
Chest - The chest measurement is the only measurement that stays fairly consistent from brand to brand. And even that changes. Companies going for a slimmer, dressier look may cut the chest slightly smaller. Drape cut suits will have a slightly large chest. Also some “athletic cut” suits have a large chest measurement – usually combined with very wide shoulders and a very small waist. (Avoid this cut like the plague unless you are built like Arnold.) In general though, the chest is cut 4” larger than your actual chest measurement.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, the reason I find it odd is your measurement matches all of mine (specially the same as my Wested), and yet your jacket is marked a size 40, and all 3 of mine are marked size 44 INCLUDING my Wested. THAT is what I find odd. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

as 'Andy' said, if you're actual chest measurement is 44", your jacket will likely be marked a size 44" but measure more like 24" across.

What is your actual chest measurement?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Before or after supper? :[

Taking tape in hand, I measure just a hair over 44 inches around my chest.

Jackets measure 22+- inches across, all marked size 44.

Now do you understand why I'm puzzled? ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

now I am really lost.

when I measure my 44 wested I get 25'' pit to pit across chest. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Was yours custom, or off the rack, Holt?

Mine are a mix of custom AND off the rack sizes, the Wested being custom (though I just asked for a standard size 44 in the body), and the other two standard sizing off the rack.

Regards !Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I asked for a 44 UK made 80's cut.and it being an 80's cut it should be slimmer.

at first I thought it was a mistake from wested side,so I sent it back. but when I got my second UK made 80's cut it had the same length across chest.25''
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Interesting.

Well, I've spent a lot more time on this than I planned, but I find it very interesting at seeing the differences we're seeing from one owner to the next on the same sizing!

Thanks!

Regards! Michaelson
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

About the fit and wearing a size 44.
I must say it's really a loose fit. I also have more room at the waist then with my 42 Todd Jacket (Old Todd Jacket 2 years old).
I'm also able to close the upper press snaps with ease.. I never could close it well on my LC westeds but maybe also because of the overweigth I had. The back did a bit flare out but I have adjusted the side straps and now it's fine. I once had a 44 cowhide Wested a few days and this jacket was much much bigger then the TN cs jacket! I wouldn't even call it a 44. It's a jacket made for HF sizing.

Regards

orb
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Maybe it's the tape measures you're using :lol:
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by orb »

Hehe.

I believe the jacket is mostly tapered on most parts.
That's why it's more snugley compared to a standard 44 sized jacket.
Compared to my 42 Todd Jacket I would say the TN is a 42.5.

Regards

orb